As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel] at Redundant Threads

AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk!The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
So you may have heard of a little movie that came out a couple weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoHPNeU9fc

It starts some people who you probably haven't heard of before:

tumblr_m44w8b2wsz1rou9y1.png

And the rest

And the film recently made over a billion dollars in box office returns, from two weekends in 'Murica (though it has been out in Not America much longer)

tumblr_m44w11xn0U1qcos2do2_500.gif

But that's not all that's going on in the world of Marvel Comics, no sir it is not. There's some cool cartoons and a couple possible live action shows such as the fast tracked Hulk show ABC could be airing soon (though perhaps Ruffalo less). A few of the other possible shows have, sadly, not been picked up.

LAST TIME, IN THE AVENGERS THREAD...

Phillishere and Atomic Ross were worried that a Punisher show would be hard to make, while Harry Dresden and FroThulhu were a bit more hopeful. We join our chatters for this conversation in progress...

Lh96QHG.png
AManFromEarth on

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hiddleston's the man, I love that gif.

Although with the Avengers' new found profitability, he needs to have shitloads of cash raining out the window as he drives by.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I saw Iron Man And Friends The Avengers last weekend. It was... okay, but not, like, "oh my god best movie ever" good. It felt very much like a slightly campy, fight-scene-heavy superhero movie. Which, mind you, was exactly what I was expecting to get! I didn't leave disappointed! But I don't see why it's got a 95+ RT rating, or why it's looking to be the biggest-grossing movie ever, and so forth.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I saw Iron Man And Friends The Avengers last weekend. It was... okay, but not, like, "oh my god best movie ever" good. It felt very much like a slightly campy, fight-scene-heavy superhero movie. Which, mind you, was exactly what I was expecting to get! I didn't leave disappointed! But I don't see why it's got a 95+ RT rating, or why it's looking to be the biggest-grossing movie ever, and so forth.
    Because fun movies are popular?

Audience enjoyment is what the rating and money-grossing is reflecting. 95 RT isn't a rating of quality, its the percentage of critics who liked it.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote:
    The Punisher absolutely works as an ongoing tv series. There are infinite scumbags, and Frank's got infinite bbullets. Plus, there are enough semi-super-villains that don't need carried into movies that can up the stakes for a small-scale tv show. Just throw in a guy who isn't afraid of bullets, an assasin who's too fast to draw a bead on; a high-profile politician with bad habits. In the Marvel Universe, Frank really is in over his head most of the time. Then you've got the street-level heroes like Blade, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, DareDevil MoonKnight. It really doesn't have to be realistic at all.

Not to offend, but that sounds kind of terrible.

Punisher just isn't the kind of character that even really fits in with the rest of the Marvel universe. What stakes are there to a rogue assassin going after a mid-level mob boss when rock monsters and Norse gods are out there battling aliens with cosmic powers?

Punisher should be street level, and in as realistic a context as you can hope for.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote:
    The Punisher absolutely works as an ongoing tv series. There are infinite scumbags, and Frank's got infinite bbullets. Plus, there are enough semi-super-villains that don't need carried into movies that can up the stakes for a small-scale tv show. Just throw in a guy who isn't afraid of bullets, an assasin who's too fast to draw a bead on; a high-profile politician with bad habits. In the Marvel Universe, Frank really is in over his head most of the time. Then you've got the street-level heroes like Blade, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, DareDevil MoonKnight. It really doesn't have to be realistic at all.

Punisher just isn't the kind of character that even really fits in with the rest of the Marvel universe. What stakes are there to a rogue assassin going after a mid-level mob boss when rock monsters and Norse gods are out there battling aliens with cosmic powers?

Punisher should be street level, and in as realistic a context as you can hope for.

The recent spate of Marvel movies have sort of convinced me that this isn't a hard and fast rule, but in general, if its live action I think realism is what you should strive for. I'll take the Nolan films over the Burton Batmans any day.

Lh96QHG.png
    FroThulhu wrote:

The recent spate of Marvel movies have sort of convinced me that this isn't a hard and fast rule, but in general, if its live action I think realism is what you should strive for. I'll take the Nolan films over the Burton Batmans any day.

Right. Nolan's tone in the Bat-films would be just peachy for a Punisher film or TV show, just with a little harder edge for the necessary R rating.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote:

Right. Nolan's tone in the Bat-films would be just peachy for a Punisher film or TV show, just with a little harder edge for the necessary R rating.

Agreed. I wouldn't be interested in a broadcast Punisher. He belongs right along side Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad on cable.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote:

That's why he mainly stays street level in the comics. Occasionally he'll assist super-heroes, usually Spider-man or Daredevil, against super-villains and fight things out of his weight class on team titles he's in like Marvel Knights. These are exceptions, of course.

The film wasn't Iron Man and Friends, he was a major player but the other characters got proper screen time IMO. The script was excellent, everyone was written correctly (which is great for Black Widow), they all got their time to shine, the plot wasn't complex yet it wasn't needed the film was too busy letting the characters be the focus, brilliant special effects, the fight scenes were glorious to watch & it had funny moments. When did you find it campy? I didn't get that at all.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Captain America's costume, particularly the hood. Cap's dialogue with Loki in Germany. Cap giving orders to the police, followed by the police saying "who the fuck are you" followed by Cap punching aliens followed by the policeman ding what he said...

...hmmm, maybe it was just Captain America who was corny. I guess that is kinda his character.

edited May 2012
    Captain America's costume, particularly the hood. Cap's dialogue with Loki in Germany. Cap giving orders to the police, followed by the police saying "who the fuck are you" followed by Cap punching aliens followed by the policeman ding what he said...

...hmmm, maybe it was just Captain America who was corny. I guess that is kinda his character.

True. I can understand why you'd think he's corny and those events. They definitely are comic booky, though the movie has various moments like that from several characters
    Hawkeye vs Black Widow, Hulk vs Thor, Iron Man vs Thor, Widow hi-jacking the speeder-bike, Coulson's death scene.
    Cap certainly stands out from the rest by appearing more old fashioned, which is why I like him. It's faithful to the comics, though it's noticeable in Avengers & The First Avenger because
    he is in the early stage of his career.

Harry Dresden on
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote:

Well, if you take the Punisher out of the MU at large, he's not so much the Punisher any more. What's been missing for me, among other things, from the Punisher movies is that there's really no indication of comicness. They've just been generic action movies, with a skull logo.

But whatevs. I'm waiting for Heroes for Hire, and I've made my dreamteam known.

FroThulhu wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote:

Well, if you take the Punisher out of the MU at large, he's not so much the Punisher any more. What's been missing for me, among other things, from the Punisher movies is that there's really no indication of comicness. They've just been generic action movies, with a skull logo.

But whatevs. I'm waiting for Heroes for Hire, and I've made my dreamteam known.

Frank not being in the Marvel universe works better IMO. Less restrictions. Though I do like when he's butting heads with super-heroes.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Still wish Marvel would get the Daredevil rights back so they can throw him up against Frank.

It's like you live in Bizarro World. :shock:

But now I'll always know now that there was at least one dude who left the theater after watching the shitty Tom Jane Punisher going, "You know what you would have made that much better? Moon Knight."

edited May 2012
    I think Marvel has done well enough with making each film distinct and its own subgenre that you could make a good, solid Punisher show and have it folded into the MU on the whole.

I mean, the real world has Disney and Detroit.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    I think Marvel has done well enough with making each film distinct and its own subgenre that you could make a good, solid Punisher show and have it folded into the MU on the whole.

True.

Yeah, but you'll notice neither of the Disney parks feature an area called, "PovertyLand!," littered with trash and hobos pushing shopping carts around.

My belief is that, whether you make him a gritty murderous vigilante, or a dark antihero, Frank does some pretty super stuff. He's a guy who can crrash into a roomful of armed mooks and kill 20 guys without a scratch. He's every Arnold, Stallone and Lundren movie rolled into one badass. He's Hawkeye with zero restraint. So, even if the Hulk is smashing through Manhattan, there's no reason for Frank not be spraying bullets into semi-powered dbags in Hell's Kitchen. That's always been the dynamic in the comics, and it works.

We root for this psychopath to destroy every other psycho in his path, and in the comics that sometimes includes madmen wearing costumes.

My belief is that, whether you make him a gritty murderous vigilante, or a dark antihero, Frank does some pretty super stuff. He's a guy who can crrash into a roomful of armed mooks and kill 20 guys without a scratch. He's every Arnold, Stallone and Lundren movie rolled into one badass. He's Hawkeye with zero restraint. So, even if the Hulk is smashing through Manhattan, there's no reason for Frank not be spraying bullets into semi-powered dbags in Hell's Kitchen. That's always been the dynamic in the comics, and it works.

We root for this psychopath to destroy every other psycho in his path, and in the comics that sometimes includes madmen wearing costumes.

Is this really what Punisher comics are about now?

No wonder I quit reading them.

You can do gritty and costumed. Nolan has proved that. I think that the two worlds are very compatible, really. And it's not like the Avengers are going to show up on the show or vice versa, that's how Disney gets away with not having Poverty Land, Ross.

To share the universe you'd need Daredevil or Spiderman. It's a damn shame that Marvel doesn't have Spiderman because Spidey can bridge that gap fairly well I think.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2012

Yeah, but you'll notice neither of the Disney parks feature an area called, "PovertyLand!," littered with trash and hobos pushing shopping carts around.

I don't think AMFA meant Frank was going to start participating in alien invasions or stopping
    the Abomination
    the next time he tears up New York City. Just keeping him in his own section and occasionally meeting elements that he fits into without breaking the series tone.

AMFA:

They have other heroes, like Moon Knight or Black Widow.

Harry Dresden on

I don't think AMFA meant Frank was going to start participating in alien invasions or stopping
    the Abomination
    the next time he tears up New York City. Just keeping him in his own section and occasionally meeting elements that he fits into without breaking the series tone.

I don't mind in theory, but given that Frank will likely having nothing to do with any of that, folding him into the greater MCU just kind of seems like a needless fanwank.

It keeps options open. It isn't necessary, but it could be a nice touch.

Lh96QHG.png

the Abomination

This is what I meant.

I'm just into the potential juxtaposition of realism and fantasy that the Punisher, as a Marvel Comics character allows for.

edited May 2012

the Abomination

I don't mind in theory, but given that Frank will likely having nothing to do with any of that, folding him into the greater MCU just kind of seems like a needless fanwank.

It's all in the execution and the right characters & organizations. Grounded versions of Hydra, SHIELD should be fine. AIM, the Avengers & Thor wouldn't be. With Captain America it depends on how well they could make him work with the series.

Harry Dresden on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Man I'm with Ross on this one. Some characters just really don't mesh well in that overall shared universe BS we've been forced to deal with for decades in comics; sometimes a character needs to stand alone in his own little 'verse without some super dickey mucking things up.

Just because The Punisher gets shoehorned into the comic universe with the others doesn't mean it should be done in the movies, that'd just be poor in taste.

edited May 2012

Is this really what Punisher comics are about now?

No wonder I quit reading them.

The comics have gone in crazy directions from Frank being resurrected to be an agent from heaven by angels to reborn a Frankenstein style monster. This is only a temporarily thing, which can be fun to read for a new take on the character. Nothing the tv series should explore, of course.

Harry Dresden on
    If there's one crossover a TV show would be predicated upon, it's this one.

Amirite? Huh?

You know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

If there's one crossover a TV show would be predicated upon, it's this one.

Amirite? Huh?

You know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

:lol:

Haha. Oh lord.

Lh96QHG.png
    Godfather wrote: »
    Man I'm with Ross on this one. Some characters just really don't mesh well in that overall shared universe BS we've been forced to deal with for decades in comics; sometimes a character needs to stand alone in his own little 'verse without some super dickey mucking things up.

Just because The Punisher gets shoehorned into the comic universe with the others doesn't mean it should be done in the movies, that'd just be poor in taste.

All I'm really saying is that if you had to have a Punisher TV show, it should be focused on just the Punisher and his immediate familiars, and the conflicts should be limited to political corruption and street-level crime. It should basically be The Wire meets The Sopranos.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I like the Punisher best when he's fighting super-villains, because then he's a normal man attempting to impose a simplistic form of order and justice upon a insane world that's steadily outgrowing people like him.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I like the Punisher best when he's fighting super-villains, because then he's a normal man attempting to impose a simplistic form of order and justice upon a insane world that's outgrown people like him.

He's a man living among corrupt gods, and his only possible response is to shoot at them.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

All I'm really saying is that if you had to have a Punisher TV show, it should be focused on just the Punisher and his immediate familiars, and the conflicts should be limited to political corruption and street-level crime. It should basically be The Wire meets The Sopranos.

Isn't the publisher's thing murdering or severely punishing the guilty? Doesn't seem like it would do well with a recurring cast like the sopranos. it doesn't seem like he could really have many inter personal conflicts with people, as he would be killing them all the time. Hard to have drama there.

I think part I the reason the avengers was so successful was that all the Pre quel movies fleshes out the characters. So even though the thor didnt get that much time, I get connected to his character and struggle with his brother. This wasn't true for everyone, but it made he movie a lot more enjoyable for me.

steam_sig.png
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Isn't the publisher's thing murdering or severely punishing the guilty? Doesn't seem like it would do well with a recurring cast like the sopranos.

I just meant a more character-oriented approach where a lot of time is spent exploring the psyches of people who knowingly choose to do bad things.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I think a serious, gritty approach to the Punisher could work. I also think doing the crime equivalent of a Roger Moore Bond film could work.

rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2012
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I think a serious, gritty approach to the Punisher could work. I also think doing the crime equivalent of a Roger Moore Bond film could work.

"Watch out, Frank! Kingpin will shoot you with his golden moon laser! From a blimp! Quick, get to your snowmobile as fast as you can! And mind the alligators!"

Atomika on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

"Watch out, Frank! Kingpin will shoot you with his golden moon laser! From a blimp! Quick, get to your snowmobile as fast as you can! And mind the alligators!"

I'm there.

rRwz9.gif

I'm there.

"Oh . . Frank. Punish me."[/barbarabach]

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Isn't the publisher's thing murdering or severely punishing the guilty? Doesn't seem like it would do well with a recurring cast like the sopranos. it doesn't seem like he could really have many inter personal conflicts with people, as he would be killing them all the time. Hard to have drama there.

Actually, his thing is to handle the manufacturing, distribution and advertising of various forms of entertainment media.

The Punisher, on the other hand...

This discussion has been closed.