As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    This mother's day, my daughter literally danced on top of some guy's grave.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It works pretty well, but it has to be something they're excited about. Sometimes it's the school bus. Sometimes it's "getting" to take a bath and play with one of his bath toys. I'm sure it'll only work for so long, but it's nice to have something.

It doesn't always work, though. Sometimes he doesn't want to do something bad enough that nothing will convince him and then we just have to force him. Some eye drop sessions have been better than others....

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    We could probably use baths as a bribe... she loves those. I don't think it'll work on her just yet though - her language skills need to develop a bit more before we can make negotiations. Though she does understand most of what I say, or seems to. Hard to tell when she doesn't usually answer or react...

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    What we started for my son, and still do is say something like "pick up toys, 1. bath, 2". He had a speech delay, but could still understand that. I guess the child would have to be able to count for that to work, or at least understand 2 comes after 1.

Well, she get the concepts of "first", "not right now", "soon", etc. So it might not be that far a stretch after all.
    The question is really whether I can mention "bath" in any context without her immediately wanting *right now*. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    w3NxA.gif

haha, my son loves to vacuum too. We had to buy him a little toy vacuum, which he follows me around the house with when I'm vacuuming. Lately, though, he's wanted to do more and more with the real thing. First it was just turning it on or putting the canister back in, but lately he's wanted to take over. I want to let him, but the thing is as tall as he is. Soon, though. Soon.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Sooo I went to wash our bedsheets at 9.20 pm which was literally the first opportunity I had had to wash them all day

I suppose they could've lasted one more day, but I had originally planned to wash them Saturday and they were covered in spit-up stains

And we got told off by the maintenance manager because apparently we're not permitted to do laundry after 9 pm and so we had to go to Target and buy new bedsheets :<

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    :(

Sometimes I miss renting. other times? not so much.

Our little one has decided that she'd like to be awake at night and asleep during the day.

YAY!

Last night was better, but the past 2-3 nights, my poor wife. At least she lets me sleep since I have to work.

:(

Sometimes I miss renting. other times? not so much.

Indeed! And of course at Target I pick up completely the wrong size of sheet, d'oh

Syphyre - oh no! I hope Jillian manages to switch her schedule around soon.

Yesterday was tough... Anya is going through a bit of a clingy stage where she'll only be happy with me, plus during the morning and evening she wanted to feed every hour (and she meant feed; nothing else would do)

Syphyre wrote: »
    Our little one has decided that she'd like to be awake at night and asleep during the day.

YAY!

Last night was better, but the past 2-3 nights, my poor wife. At least she lets me sleep since I have to work.

Oh, no fun. Nocturnal baby = the suffering!

Ours woke up at 1:30 last night and insisted that it was time to be awake. I had to show her the dark and empty remainder of the apartment to convince her that nothing of importance was being missed... then she wanted to sleep next to mom.
    Hard to feel sorry for myself for missing any sleep when my wife spent last night sleeping sideways on an old futon with two babies kickin' her in the ribs. That woman's a saint.

camo_sig2.png
    Anya's been fussing the past two hours - she's fed and clean and not crying - so I figured I'd best get up and shower because I can't sleep when she's being all wriggly and murmuring

I come back from the shower to find her fast asleep and now I'm wondering how much of her keeping awake was due to me being so close to her, and whether I can get her to fall asleep in future just by leaving her alone for a bit. Hmm.

Janson wrote: »
    Anya's been fussing the past two hours - she's fed and clean and not crying - so I figured I'd best get up and shower because I can't sleep when she's being all wriggly and murmuring

I come back from the shower to find her fast asleep and now I'm wondering how much of her keeping awake was due to me being so close to her, and whether I can get her to fall asleep in future just by leaving her alone for a bit. Hmm.

It's worth a try. Some babies geniunely seem to enjoy/not mind spending time all by themselves.

My son will quietly hang out in his chair for long periods of time and seem... happy about it. I'm still a bit freaked out that he's so low-maintenance. I guess I got used to colick, and now any baby that isn't colicky seems too good to be true.

camo_sig2.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Could it have been the whitenoise of the shower running?

Yeah, I feel your pain Janson. My wife and I are discovering that some things she doesn't like, some things she does, and really it's all a big guessing game after you make sure all the fundamentals are taken care of.

One thing our kid loves is when I walk outside with her. She must love the sound of nature (or such as it is).

Henroid wrote: »
    Could it have been the whitenoise of the shower running?

It's actually quite hard to hear the shower from our bedroom, where she was, so it's unlikely! She does love being read to, though.
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel your pain Janson. My wife and I are discovering that some things she doesn't like, some things she does, and really it's all a big guessing game after you make sure all the fundamentals are taken care of.

One thing our kid loves is when I walk outside with her. She must love the sound of nature (or such as it is).

Yes! And of course some things only work at certain times. Sometimes my mother can calm her with a song, other times she'll be screaming blue murder unless I hold her.

I do think she is often windy - she isn't colicky and she doesn't necessarily cry when uncomfortable, but it certainly seems to keep her awake. It also wakes her from her naps prematurely and then she gets overtired...

Oh, one thing that is ALWAYS guaranteed to work is putting her in the carrier and walking around with her. She's out in five seconds when we do that! And she'll stay asleep until she gets hungry, basically (which had made the restaurant trips very easy). The trouble is that while the carrier allows me to have hands free, I can't exactly nap or do certain things while she's in it.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I can still get my eldest daughter to sleep by driving around in the car. For some reason Van Halen's "Jump" puts her right out. O_o

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: those white-noise machines that they sell at target and baby's r us and everywhere else are magic. My daughter had a lot of trouble sleeping but that thing reliably knocked her right out.

Argh my stupid brain

Anya was awake pretty much the entire time from 7.30 am - 5 pm, she kept drifting off but then waking a half hour later. And only the boob would pacify her. She was rejecting everything else - including the pacifier. :'(

Anyway she finally fell asleep, so I tried to nap too, only I woke after an hour having had the most awful nightmare and feeling worse than before I went to nap! She slept for a good solid four and a half hours, too!

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Look, lady, those are top-shelf A-grade high-quality boobs. If I had the option, I wouldn't settle for a pacifier imitation either.

Still; Anya: there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Learn moderation now, so that you can appreciate the lean boobless years later.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No.

Lucas.

The phrase you should be saying is make hay while the sun shines.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    This mother's day, my daughter literally danced on top of some guy's grave.

Working at a Daycare, I once a had kid sacrifice baby plastic animals to a paper-mache volcano (her words).

She was also terrified of bees.

It was pretty adorable.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No.

Lucas.

The phrase you should be saying is make hay while the sun shines.

Haha!

It definitely seems to be a four week old thing, speaking to other mothers.

And seriously, I couldn't even calm her! Normally she stops crying at least for me. Even the carrier only worked for about an hour. I got her to sleep by laying down beside her and shoving my boob in her mouth until we both fell asleep from sheer exhaustion.

To be fair.

I'd like to be put to sleep like that.

Okay, trying/re-trying a few techniques tonight after reading up on newborn sleep.

She's currently double-swaddled and we have rain white noise playing. She jerked awake just now but instead of flailing her arms around and waking up fully she just went straight back to sleep. So far so good...

My wife has been getting our little girl back on a better schedule. Instead of fussy all night, it's now fussy all evening.

I hope that your flailing brain gets some sleep soon Janson!

Thanks! And I hope you do, too - I certainly find fussy evenings way better than fussy any other time of day (although of course no long fussy periods are preferable).

Well it has been a pretty good night. She slept from 11.30 pm - 2.30 am, 3 am - 5.30 am and now 6 am onwards (currently 6.30 am and my brain is again keeping *me* awake). The double swaddle does NOT work - I have tried all kinds of blankets, the Swaddle Me and the miracle blanket and - and either I am the world's worst swaddler or she is just an extremely determined Houdini baby. She always frees her arms. Buuuut she has seemed to like the extra warmth the double swaddle has provided. Also the white noise does appear to have kept her calm. She is still sleeping in her cosleeper right now!

Now just to fix me...

edited May 2012
    Thanks! And I hope you do, too - I certainly find fussy evenings way better than fussy any other time of day (although of course no long fussy periods are preferable).

Well it has been a pretty good night. She slept from 11.30 pm - 2.30 am, 3 am - 5.30 am and now 6 am onwards (currently 6.30 am and my brain is again keeping *me* awake). The double swaddle does NOT work - I have tried all kinds of blankets, the Swaddle Me and the miracle blanket and - and either I am the world's worst swaddler or she is just an extremely determined Houdini baby. She always frees her arms. Buuuut she has seemed to like the extra warmth the double swaddle has provided. Also the white noise does appear to have kept her calm. She is still sleeping in her cosleeper right now!

Now just to fix me...

Ever since Lily got back home she's had more energy, which of course means less sleep. The funny thing is that during my "shift" at night she usually sleeps the whole time (9pm to 1am) and then during my wife's shift (1am - 5am) she seems to be up the whole time. My wife thinks I'm cheating somehow.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    The double swaddle does NOT work - I have tried all kinds of blankets, the Swaddle Me and the miracle blanket and - and either I am the world's worst swaddler or she is just an extremely determined Houdini baby. She always frees her arms. Buuuut she has seemed to like the extra warmth the double swaddle has provided. Also the white noise does appear to have kept her calm. She is still sleeping in her cosleeper right now!

Swaddling is at best a temporary measure. I think every baby's able to escape, given enough time. Certainly mine are... though my son kinda hated it so we didn't make it much of a practice with him. He also insisted on using mom as a soother for the first few months of his life - sounds like what you're going through now.
    Hope you get some sleep!

camo_sig2.png
    Aww, your poor wife!

We have pretty good nights overall. I don't know if I have just struck lucky or whether the night routines (no talking, keep lights off during feeding, minimal movement) are working, but she has slept decently most nights; it is during the day she gets really overtired. Still, usually by this point she's been fussy enough that I take her into our bed, so it's great that she's still in her cosleeper. Of course, this could also be a fluke and tomorrow night nothing could work - who knows with newborns?! :)

who knows with newborns?! :)

You can say that again.

I've noticed that Jillian is really sensitive to sounds (as in how she reacts to them, loves the outside, loves me singing to her, loves a certain noisemaker) and I imagine this extends to a lot of newborns. Different sounds work differently.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Yay everyone here has the flu!
    It's one thing taking care of a sick baby, it's another thing when you have to force yourself to leave the toilet to do it.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The double swaddle does NOT work - I have tried all kinds of blankets, the Swaddle Me and the miracle blanket and - and either I am the world's worst swaddler or she is just an extremely determined Houdini baby. She always frees her arms. Buuuut she has seemed to like the extra warmth the double swaddle has provided.

This might be a silly question but how tightly are you swaddling her? We had the same problem with our kid and it turned out the secret was pin her arms by her sides and really wrap her up, more tightly than seems ok. The Swaddle Me let's you lock her up pretty well if you aren't afraid to do it and that's the only way it worked for us. Our daughter would usually have worked at least one arm out by morning but she couldn't for a while and that calmed her enough that she'd sleep.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, know what

Parenting is hard
    For me
    To do well

• CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    First day of summer vacation and my daughter woke me up at 7:15

Bullshit kid, go back to bed

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
    edited May 2012
    Psh. That's nothing. My eldest woke me up today at 6am. She's yelling "DADDY YOU'RE NAKED!!"

I was not, I took off my shirt last night because it was godawful hot.

:-S

DisruptedCapitalist on
    I tried pumping

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

This discussion has been closed.