As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

19495969798100»

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Morgan wakes me up before 7am just about every day.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Pumping, eheh, sucks at first but you get used to it

You also have to kind of experiment to figure out how to do it properly, it's not just "turn on and crank to 11" (as I found out the hard way)

What kind of pump do you have?

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hayla has learned to go on ahead downstairs and watch Boomerang if she gets up before me.

Eli usually sleeps in late. So he's alright as long as he gets cocoa and a sprinkle poptart stat

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Right now I just got the Medela manual (Harmony) as I didn't wish to splash out on an expensive one just yet and the Harmony had about 400 positive reviews

I pumped for about 40 mins and got just over one fluid ounce

And yes I had to experiment quite a bit

I was kind of hoping Alex and I might get to go out this weekend for a couple of hours...

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Then there's the bra that lets you pump while your hands are free to do other things. My wife has been wanting to get one for a while now so she can at least read a book while she's waiting. She hates pumping.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    With the manual I've found that it's best to start with quick, light pumps and then once the milk is coming out (it'll just be a few drops pretty much), basically squeeze and hold for 3-5 seconds and repeat until things slow down, then go back to the quick pumps, etc.

If you're going to go expensive, I'd get an Ameda instead of Medela because it's multi-user and you can resell it if you want, or store it for later without worrying about mold and whatnot

• Options
    I can't imagine the bra being that helpful... how tight can it possibly be, to hold the things on properly

I am interested to hear your wife's experience with it DC

But thankfully I am almost at the end of my pumping time, currently planning to wean at a year or so

• Options
    My wife had this backpack medela deal

medela-pump-in-style-advanced-backpack_4.jpg

We bought it used off a lady I knew. It's been used for both our kids, both of our sisters 3 kids, 2 of my wifes cousins kids

So 8 kids over 7 years. Getting ready for a 9th kid when my sister has her 2nd next month, pretty much non stop, just replacing the tubing each time

Not too shabby

• Options
    Eeeeh we all know what a clean freak I am, so take my comments with a bowl of salt

Those Medela pumps are single-user because the milk goes through the pump, so replacing the tubing doesn't really do much, the other person's milk is still all up in the pump

There are all sorts of contamination issues and that's why those are designated as single-user and you're not supposed to buy or sell them used

The Ameda pump is multi-user... The milk never goes through the pump or the tubing, it's a closed system, so there are no contamination issues, you can replace everything if you want but it's not really necessary

That is my pedantic breast pump lecture, the tomato throwing may commence

• Options
    Well I mean it's not like when we were done with it you just let the old milk sit and give it to somebody else

We ran boiling water through it and took it apart and clean it

It's not like "here, use this shitty old dirty equipment for your newborn"

• Options
    Of course not, you are not an idiot or a jerk

Here is an article with more detailed explanation: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvjunjul04p54.html

• Options
    That's a good article

Maybe we've just been luckily and are bucking the odds but it's worked 8 times without any of the kids getting sick or anything like that

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    With the manual I've found that it's best to start with quick, light pumps and then once the milk is coming out (it'll just be a few drops pretty much), basically squeeze and hold for 3-5 seconds and repeat until things slow down, then go back to the quick pumps, etc.

If you're going to go expensive, I'd get an Ameda instead of Medela because it's multi-user and you can resell it if you want, or store it for later without worrying about mold and whatnot

Thanks! I shall definitely try the manual technique, and that's good information to know about the Medela.

Well Anya was beginning to fight sleep but with some extra-tight swaddling (she's nearly fought her hands free but not quite) and determined rocking I got her to sleep before she got overtired! Yay!!!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm willing to bet that most of the time it's not a big deal, because the people using it are all healthy

And you got it from someone you know, not some stranger selling it on Ebay or whatever

I'm squeamish because I'm a big ol' sissy, I still clean all my kid's toys a lot and won't give him new toys/books without cleaning them and I'm just starting to be more loosey-goosey about things that have fallen on the floor

The points they make are not totally paranoid but there's definitely an element of legal liability concern overshadowing the whole thing, as much as mere health concerns

Quoth on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    How important is infant CPR training vs just reading up on it? We're under 10 weeks to go, but every infant care/CPR class is full through September in our area.

On the plus side, we've moved into checkups every 2 weeks and today's was all good, all systems go! Countdown continues.

• Options
    I have been CPR certified in the past, so I felt that just "reading up on it" was all I really needed to do since it's my own family and I don't need the certification to persuade someone else that I'm qualified.

If you've never been trained before though it probably would be handy to do since you can get someone to watch your technique and make recommendations until you feel comfortable with it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I'm squeamish because I'm a big ol' sissy, I still clean all my kid's toys a lot and won't give him new toys/books without cleaning them and I'm just starting to be more loosey-goosey about things that have fallen on the floor

I used to do this, too... eventually my resolve faltered. As time goes by I'm more and more OK with the children getting a bit filthy. They've got immune systems, after all. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    @Quoth

You liked the Fisher Price rock and play, yes? I'm considering picking one up for Anya, as I think she could do with somewhere I could occasionally seat her during the day and she does love a rocking motion.

• Options
    Yes, loved it dearly

My kid slept in it until he was like... 7 months old or something

Keep in mind that it doesn't rock by itself, which is good or bad depending on what you want

My kid eventually just rocked it by himself so w/e

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So sleep deprevation finally got me. Wife says she was in the bathroom and the baby was crying and I didn't hear it because I was asleep 3 feet from him. I feel kind of bad.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Don't feel bad, it happens

You do your best

The baby won't remember

• Options
    Yes, loved it dearly

My kid slept in it until he was like... 7 months old or something

Keep in mind that it doesn't rock by itself, which is good or bad depending on what you want

My kid eventually just rocked it by himself so w/e
    Yeah, that's fine; I think I prefer a manual rock! Just will be easier to rock her in that than in my arms (as I currently am)!
    So sleep deprevation finally got me. Wife says she was in the bathroom and the baby was crying and I didn't hear it because I was asleep 3 feet from him. I feel kind of bad.
    Aww!

I don't hear Anya until she properly cries, but then I'm a deep sleeper anyway, and it's probably good for my own sake that I don't!

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    tumblr_m40yzj2qb91qh8mxzo1_500.jpg

Vivian is rolling over on her side and got all the way over the other day.

Also:

tumblr_m3fexznOcq1qh8mxzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2mtlrA0fH1qh8mxzo1_500.png

• Options
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Awww.

• Options
    squeeee!

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    So cute!!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
This discussion has been closed.