As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where do I look to play Dungeons and Dragons online?

SnuckeySnuckey Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Critical Failures
I'm a D&D newbie (I just bought my first Player's Handbook), and I was hoping to find some people to play a game with online. In person is tricky because I'm a university co-op student, which means I move around pretty much every 4 months. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Snuckey on

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't have a link on me but if you google OpenRPG that gives you a program that's pretty decent for playing PnP games online. You may just stumble across a game needing players on there too.

Pretty much any RPG forum has a section for online games. Off the top of my head I know that Giant in the Playground has a forum for arranging online games.

Of course, we play D&D occasionally here too but it doesn't look like anything's planned. Maybe a kind soul will see this thread and decide to DM a starter game.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't use OpenRPG. It's crap.

Use MapTools, available here: http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro

MapTools is java-based instead of Python-based, works on every platform, has lower system requirements, is more intuitive and easy to use, and has a far more stable server structure.

Basically, it's superior to OpenRPG in every way.

Pony on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But OpenRPG lets you slap your character's stats right onto a sidebar!

No, Pony's right. MapTools is way better. :^:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My group actually uses both ORPG and Maptools. The node system in ORPG is useful for keeping track of characters, whereas the image interface in Maptools is far superior.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OpenRPG is all I've used besides IRC, so I'm sure there's definitely better choices out there :)

I shall now check out maptools.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some other options are plain old IRC and play by post games. Plabyweb.com used to be a place to do that, and there was another (better) one as well.

zenpotato on