As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Fitness Group [Meet up on Sunday at 1]

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I ran a whole mile without stopping or slowing down yesterday! Took me under 12 minutes. I know, it's not really that impressive, but I'm proud!

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    vgc wrote: »
    I ran a whole mile without stopping or slowing down yesterday! Took me under 12 minutes. I know, it's not really that impressive, but I'm proud!

That's awesome.. keep it up!!

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

That is impressive! I remember running my first mile and glaring at my husbands back the whole time trying just to keep up and not stop.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

THAT IS AWESOME!!! Keep it UP! :D

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I just got the news that I may not be able to attend Prime. This does not bode well..

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • LoneGunmanLoneGunman Registered User regular
    Damn you all...I guess I can try to stick with the gym (just started going back after a six month hiatus). I actually still have my Fitocracy account so I guess it's time to start accumulating points!

edited May 2012
    I just got the news that I may not be able to attend Prime. This does not bode well..

NOOOOO! What happend?

adias.angel on
    I just got hired onto a full time job that hates people who take time off. I imagine if I take the Labour Day weekend off I'll be asked not to come back. (I've worked there as a student in the past and will be TPTing for them during the school year so that I can pay for school, so losing the job isn't really an option)

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular

great job!!

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    I just got hired onto a full time job that hates people who take time off. I imagine if I take the Labour Day weekend off I'll be asked not to come back. (I've worked there as a student in the past and will be TPTing for them during the school year so that I can pay for school, so losing the job isn't really an option)

Wha...? Can you come that weekend, just Saturday and Sunday or do you work weekends? That sucks!

• RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I need to do this, I'll becoming to PAX pretty much straight off the AT (here's to hoping I don't get spotted fever) and I don't want to let up. Gimme a time and place and I'll do my best to show.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
    I won't know until closer, but I work Sunday nights for sure.

• AtronachAtronach SeattleRegistered User regular
    Is anyone planning on doing the Warrior Dash? A few of my friends and I are planning on running it in Skyrim cosplay.

PAX 2013 Cosplay:
    Skyrim - Flame Atronach & Female Daedric
    Mass Effect 3 - Jack
    Atronach wrote: »
    Is anyone planning on doing the Warrior Dash? A few of my friends and I are planning on running it in Skyrim cosplay.
    I'll be doing it in Michigan. Nothing fancy though.

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular

If an employer can't handle a reasonable request for time off four months out (which, by the way is unbelievably long when it comes to planning a work schedule - I know, I've made those schedules. Four weeks is a long time in that situation.) it is a sign that the employer doesn't respect their employees in the least. If they can't handle you giving four months' notice that you want to take a weekend off, this isn't a place that self respecting human beings should be working.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'd agree except since it's a holiday weekend maybe other people have it tapped.

That said, if they give people paid time off they should expect people will want to take it. If they don't give you paid time off, well, then...they do hate people taking time off. :(

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    Atronach wrote: »
    I might do Virginia's, but not in costume.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
    edited May 2012
    Keep in mind that I would be taking off Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. So around five days. I'm going to ask just in case, but I'm saying chances are slim.

I don't even want to be paid for time off (as this is just a Summer job that turns into part time during the school year), I just don't want to show up to work.

But back to Fitness!

PayneTrayne on
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    For those of us doing the Zombie 5k, I found http://youtu.be/QBge_kj_0M4 <---- that link VERY educational. It's the first in a series of 4 videos that guide you through the run (well, the one in Atlanta recently). Yikes. I'm a little concerned.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

So I've sprained a tendon in my foot and am unable to run :( I thought I was good after a week of rest but after half a mile I was forced to stop and limp home. I miss running!!11

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    So, to anyone with a Fitness background I have to ask:

I just started midnights, is it healthier for me to work out and then go to work, or go to work, work out and then go to sleep?

@paynetrain Physiologically, if you work out then sleep, you will find it much harder to fall asleep, no matter how exhausted you are. From that perspective, it would be better to work out and then go to work-you may even find yourself more alert at work:)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    I always feel better and have more energy during the day if I work out in the morning before work. That said, I don't have the fitness background that @Ravenger has (but I still agree with him).

zerzhul on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    @JobiWanKenobi likes to go for long marathon-training runs after dinner at like 10:00. I've never figured out how he does that and then goes to sleep.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    I'm just worried because I have a very physical job and I don't want to be incredibly sore/gassed while at work.

• itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    Oh, I'm in! I need to get back on the wagon of regular exercise of one form or another. Need to get linked up with the fitocracy group. And, then, of course, go outside and exercise. :)

Not *that* kind of princess.
    @JobiWanKenobi likes to go for long marathon-training runs after dinner at like 10:00. I've never figured out how he does that and then goes to sleep.

I've found that if I run in the morning's and get it out of the way, it's not looming over me all day.. But I do still run stupid late sometimes and then I'm like.. cranked for 4 hours o.0.

I'm just worried because I have a very physical job and I don't want to be incredibly sore/gassed while at work.

I'm jealous. I have a boring desk job, so I have to exercise or I run the risk of looking like Jabba the Hut. That might have been a slight exaggeration. Thing is, I hate exercising. Makes me miss my old, very physical job. I could do pull ups after working that job a few weeks!

I'm jealous. I have a boring desk job, so I have to exercise or I run the risk of looking like Jabba the Hut. That might have been a slight exaggeration. Thing is, I hate exercising. Makes me miss my old, very physical job. I could do pull ups after working that job a few weeks!
    Don't be, it's physical but incredibly tedious and boring. Hooray for automobile part sequencing! That being said, if I had a FitBit I imagine I'd be at the top of the local leaderboards due to walking for 7 or so hours a night.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Joined the Fitocracy group. I ran 3.6 miles last night without stopping (at a very slow pace). I can confidently say I don't think I've ever run that far without stopping in my life. Now to improve my time!

• AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    For those of us doing the Zombie 5k, I found http://youtu.be/QBge_kj_0M4 <---- that link VERY educational. It's the first in a series of 4 videos that guide you through the run (well, the one in Atlanta recently). Yikes. I'm a little concerned.

Hope the Washington run isn't this muddy. Travelling in packs seems to be an important strategy as well. A lot more walking then I expected but makes sense if your saving your energy for sudden bursts of zombie dodging.

@PayneTrayne that's a real bummer to hear about your situation. I hope you work something out and get yourself to PAX.

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    Nice work Mogs! When I was running (which is something I hate, and stopped after getting a stress fracture from it a few summers back) I enjoyed some nice chiptunes - they kept me going at a driving pace. Look up Combat Dave and Falco Lombardi for some good starting points. Some even hit the magic 180 BPM that barefoot running gurus claim is an optimal stride rate.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Got myself hooked up with MapMyRun. A little over three miles in forty minutes. My ipod has such a mix of music on it right now, and I haven't had the time to sit down and create a running playlist. Been listening to a lot of Powerman 5000 and Machinae Supremacy while I run, though. A playlist specifically for running is definitely next on my "to-do" list.

I find that for running I need something with lyrics, otherwise, I just gas myself out by breathing too quickly.

• HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    Fell off the fitness wagon for 2 days... but now I'm back! My wife even managed to talk me into attending ONE Zumba session with her...

HeyJoe wrote: »
    Fell off the fitness wagon for 2 days... but now I'm back! My wife even managed to talk me into attending ONE Zumba session with her...

DUDE NICE. My buddy and I zumba every thursday. We get fucking in to it.

Ravenger wrote: »
    HeyJoe wrote: »

DUDE NICE. My buddy and I zumba every thursday. We get fucking in to it.

<3 Zumba! I can't stand running but needed to get some cardio in. Gave Zumba a try and now I am hooked. I go twice a week and love every minute of it.

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    So, erm... Not sure how well I'll keep up with it, but I'll try at least. Profile is here.

• ZazumZazum Registered User regular
    Joined this morning. This should keep me motivated until Prime to exercise consistently!

Yay! Congrats new members! As someone who hates exercising, Fitocracy is doing a fairly good job getting me to do so regularly. Although I haven't done anything in the past two days :/ Today, I shall though!

This discussion has been closed.