As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Visiting Canada!

LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So me and my mother have been planning a trip to Canada this summer. We are both Swedes, so we are not all that familiar with what is interesting to see in Canada. We have booked tickets to Montreal with plans to visit Ottawa and Quebec City, so now I turn to you, H&A, for tips of things that are must see. The trips is planned for the 17th of July and will last a week.

Things we have considered to see include but are not limited too:
Ottawa:
Canadian museum of Civilization

Montreal:
Biosphére
Redpath Museum

Quebec City:
Montmorency Falls

There's a bunch of other things we have looked at, but I can't seem to remember them at the moment.

Steam id: Varys
LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
Luiane on

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    If you have a chance, go to Niagara Falls. It's pretty amazing in person. The Canadian side is the best side.

• LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be quite a long trip from Montreal/ Ottawa to the Niagara Falls? Nice to know that the Canadian side is the best, as we have not planned to apply for visas to visit the US (though we could of course do that)

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Luiane wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be quite a long trip from Montreal/ Ottawa to the Niagara Falls? Nice to know that the Canadian side is the best, as we have not planned to apply for visas to visit the US (though we could of course do that)
    It's quite the distance. Like a 7 hour drive or so. So probably not. Unless you wanted to extend your visit to Toronto, then you're only an hour or two away by car.
    Given that you only have a week though, you're probably better off sticking to Montreal, Quebec City, and Ottawa.

Touring the parliament buildings, or the Prime Minister's residence can be interesting in Ottawa, if you're into that sort of thing.

• CherryCherry Registered User regular
    Montreal: Botanical garden, Biodome, the underground mall (if you like shopping).

Quebec City: the old city - and just wonder around. The architecture, stores and general atmosphere is nice.

Ottawa: National Art Gallery, Parliament hill - take a tour, the Byward Market (it's our downtown area pretty much. Lots of shops and restaurants), Calypso Water Park - I believe it's the largest water park in Canada.

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    For Montreal there's always St. Catherines and Mount Royal. With Mount Royal, on a clear day, you can see a lot of the city.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    Yeah we had considered going to Toronto but decided to go see more cities, and Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec where closer together, so we are not going to head to Toronto.

That said, these all seem like nice suggestions so far! Will be sure to look more closely into them later. Thanks for the suggestions!

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    In Québec City:
    Old Québec (MUST SEE, there are English tours)
    Musée de la civilisation
    Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec (if you're into art)
    Plains of Abraham
    Université Laval (if you're like me and you like walking through foreign campuses)
    Promenade Samuel-de-Champlein (couldn't find a Wiki page, but it's a beautiful walk by the St-Laurence)

Near Québec City:
    Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
    Île d'Orléans (although given the limited time you expressed, I might skip that one)

I am from Québec City, lived there most of my life. I'm not there anymore, so unfortunately I can't give you a tour. But if you need any advice at all, restaurant recommendations, etc., PM me.

sig.gif
    Those seem like nice things! We are not very art interested, but if there is a nice exhibition around when we go we might still go there!

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Near Québec City:
    Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
    Île d'Orléans (although given the limited time you expressed, I might skip that one)

The Basilica is worth the trip. You can stop by the falls on your way to/from as well.

• legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    http://www.goingtoquebec.com/
    You should find some info here about what's going on in Quebec City during your stay.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Not sure if this would interest you, but the War Museum in Ottawa might be my favourite place ever. I could spend days there.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Not sure if this would interest you, but the War Museum in Ottawa might be my favourite place ever. I could spend days there.

Seconded. Really great Museum. Definitely check out Byward Market in Ottawa as well.

banner_160x60_01.gif
    saint2e wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »

Seconded. Really great Museum. Definitely check out Byward Market in Ottawa as well.

I am quite interested in war history myself, so will try to work that in!

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't know if this is a thing where you're from, but in the major cities in canada they have rent-a-bike stations.

They look something like this:

BIXI_bike_Montreal.jpg

So there are a bunch of stations for these bikes around the city. You can purchase a 24-hour pass ($5 + tax) or a 72-hour pass ($12 + tax) directly at the station. Provided that the bicycle is returned to a station within an allotted 30-minute trip, no additional trip fee is incurred. These are actually a GREAT way to get around the cities on nice days. Here is their website:

https://capital.bixi.com/ (ottawa)

https://montreal.bixi.com/ (montreal)

They have detailed station maps there

I don't believe they are used in Quebec City but I may be wrong.

Aside from that, I live in Ottawa and would say be sure to visit the following:

National War Museum (amazing war history museum - obviously canadian focused)
    Byward Market (nice place to walk around, eat, drink, what have you)
    Parliament Buildings (Canada's Central Government - they do tours)
    National Arts Center (See what is playing around the time you are here, a good place for live shows)
    Rideau Canal (BEAUTIFUL walkways along the Canal that go through the city)
    If you are into drinking beer (legal age in Ontario is 19) - Pub Italia

Also Ottawa does haunted walks if you are so inclined

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Yo check out the War Museum in Ottawa, as well. It's just as good as the Civilization one in Gatineau. Also, if you can, head to the Religions exhibit at the Civilization museum, if it's still there.

• Mr FuzmsMr Fuzms Auckland, New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I must admit I'm interested to see what people are putting here since I'm off to Montreal for the first time during Canada Day weekend (end of June/beginning of July). I've been staying/working in Toronto on a working holiday Visa thing since last August, but it's been hard to find the time/money to get properly out and about.

I know there are meant to be lots of events going on in Montreal over the summer, case in point there's some sort of massive Jazz Festival or something going on during the Canada Day weekend, so it might be worth scouting ahead and seeing if anything similar is going on for when you're over. If there's one thing I've learned during my brief stint in Canada it's that they love their free festival stuff, and that their free festival stuff is almost Universally awesome.

Though the student protests/micro-riots going on in Montreal do worry me a bit. Rather not get caught up in that!

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Eat Poutine. This is how you win at a trip to Montreal.

Will have to look up what Poutine is, have never heard off it before. But trying new culinary experiences is always exciting!

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Will have to look up what Poutine is, have never heard off it before. But trying new culinary experiences is always exciting!

I don't recommend GIS'ing it.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I don't recommend GIS'ing it.

it just results in making me really hungry, mmmmm poutine.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular

it is delicious

Also, when you are in Ottawa, eat shawarma

You can't walk a block without passing like 18 shawarma places

Personally I prefer shawarma deluxe

Shawarma is the food the gods eat

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    Yo check out the War Museum in Ottawa, as well. It's just as good as the Civilization one in Gatineau. Also, if you can, head to the Religions exhibit at the Civilization museum, if it's still there.

I've never been to Ottawa, but my parents visited a few years back and said the War Museum was absolutely amazing, and they don't consider themselves "museum people". Give it a try!

StKbT.jpg
    Rikushix wrote: »

I've never been to Ottawa, but my parents visited a few years back and said the War Museum was absolutely amazing, and they don't consider themselves "museum people". Give it a try!

I've had a lot of recommendations for that museum, so will certainly be sure to check it out. Had a similar experience with a war museum over here in Sweden some years ago.