As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    oh man that next episode preview

"Those are brave men at our door, lets go kill them!"

Also I'm firmly in the Ross is a goose camp. It's not that I think your opinions are that bad its just that... well it's that you are incredibly annoying to the point where I wish you would retire from posting forever. No hard feelings.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Somethingawful thread someone said this season could be called "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Theon Greyjoy"

I like that

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Okay, scene opinion breakdown. In spoilers until the West coast camp catches up. (I'm west coast too, but I watched it on HBO-E)
    -Theon v Yara: Great scene. A surprisingly emotional moment between the two that made me think of Yara as less terrible. Theon's still a douche.

-Nice recollections of Ned from Robb.

-North of the Wall: "Lord of Bones" is a great title. Jon remains just... just awful. Sam and other guy and other guy were completely uninteresting to me.

-Cat. Seriously? You psychotic, terribly self-interested, self-important person. I've been a fan of Cat since the first episode, but right now I want to strangle her with her own hair. Good on Robb for standing up to her.

-Brienne & Jaime. Another great scene. But putting that man into a boat just seems like a bad idea in general. Jaime will not be making it to King's Landing.

-Tywin/Harrenhall. Nice little scene. Shame Arya and Tywin didn't get one last conversation. Jaqen's response to the naming was interesting and it's fun to know he takes these things so seriously. Hoping she unnames him and names the Mountain next episode.

-Tyrion/Bronn/Varys: Great moment. Nice to see Bronn and Tyrion aren't always so buddy-buddy. Bronn makes a good point about the siege.

-Tyrion/Cersei: Is that the girl from the Maester Pycell capture scene? It makes me laugh that Cersei's so incompetent at being evil.

-Tyrion/Shae: Great work from Dinklage here. It's like all of the acting chops of a great actor compressed into a tiny package. Dude deserves another Emmy.

-Tyrion/Joffrey/Varys: Oh Joffrey, you're the worst. "One game at a time" will just set off that whole Dany/Jon relevancy conversation again.

-Robb/Roose/Nurse-Whose-Name-I-Haven't-Learned. Awwww yeah. Been waiting for that to happen. Roose is increasingly coming across as a guy who is far too similar to the Greyjoy's in mentality.

-Stannis/Davos: Best scene of the episode. One small shot of Stannis' son to remind us he exists, for some reason. Guy looks like an angry monk from one of the Elizabeth movies. Amazing conversation between Stannis and Davos with a lot of backstory and character work crammed into a few words, as well as a lot of hints for what's coming up once Stannis kicks the ever-loving shit out of Joffrey and King's Landing. Davos as Hand will be amazing.

-Ending: Well, duh.

-Preview: Hole. E. Shit. This will be the most epic season finale for any show ever, since episode ten is most likely just set up for Season 3.

So, yeah. Pretty damned awesome.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I thought the next episode was episode 9.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah I really love the mental image of Joffrey and Stannis in a fight. It's a shame Stan hasn't gotten more scenes this season, I love what his actor's doing with him

Oona Chaplin is a very attractive lady.

It's not like Cat was choosing between letting Jaime out vs. keeping him a prisoner. It was either let him out and hope a trade will happen somehow, or let Jaime get killed and then her daughters will probably get killed in response. Hell even if there's not a trade at least Sansa won't be getting her head chopped off as retribution.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I thought the next episode was episode 9.

It is. But the climax for season one was the end of Episode 9. Everything in Ten was just set up for the next season. True Blood does the same thing, really. So I just treat the second to last episode as the season finale (which looks amazing) and episode ten as the preview for next year.

Holy crap it's going to be another whole year...

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    The people I'm watching with insist that next Sunday, the 27th, is the day in which the final episode of this season airs. Is that true and we're only getting 9 this season?

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Okay, scene opinion breakdown. In spoilers until the West coast camp catches up. (I'm west coast too, but I watched it on HBO-E)
    -Theon v Yara: Great scene. A surprisingly emotional moment between the two that made me think of Yara as less terrible. Theon's still a douche.

-North of the Wall: "Lord of Bones" is a great title. Jon remains just... just awful. Sam and other guy and other guy were completely uninteresting to me.

-Cat. Seriously? You psychotic, terribly self-interested, self-important person. I've been a fan of Cat since the first episode, but right now I want to strangle her with her own hair. Good on Robb for standing up to her.

-Brienne & Jaime. Another great scene. But putting that man into a boat just seems like a bad idea in general. Jaime will not be making it to King's Landing.

-Tywin/Harrenhall. Nice little scene. Shame Arya and Tywin didn't get one last conversation. Jaqen's response to the naming was interesting and it's fun to know he takes these things so seriously. Hoping she unnames him and names the Mountain next episode.

-Tyrion/Bronn/Varys: Great moment. Nice to see Bronn and Tyrion aren't always so buddy-buddy. Bronn makes a good point about the siege.

-Tyrion/Cersei: Is that the girl from the Maester Pycell capture scene? It makes me laugh that Cersei's so incompetent at being evil.

-Tyrion/Shae: Great work from Dinklage here. It's like all of the acting chops of a great actor compressed into a tiny package. Dude deserves another Emmy.

-Tyrion/Joffrey/Varys: Oh Joffrey, you're the worst. "One game at a time" will just set off that whole Dany/Jon relevancy conversation again.

-Robb/Roose/Nurse-Whose-Name-I-Haven't-Learned. Awwww yeah. Been waiting for that to happen. Roose is increasingly coming across as a guy who is far too similar to the Greyjoy's in mentality.

-Stannis/Davos: Best scene of the episode. One small shot of Stannis' son to remind us he exists, for some reason. Guy looks like an angry monk from one of the Elizabeth movies. Amazing conversation between Stannis and Davos with a lot of backstory and character work crammed into a few words, as well as a lot of hints for what's coming up once Stannis kicks the ever-loving shit out of Joffrey and King's Landing. Davos as Hand will be amazing.

-Preview: Hole. E. Shit. This will be the most epic season finale for any show ever, since episode ten is most likely just set up for Season 3.

Re: Arya
    She unnamed Jaqen in exchange for their escape. He said it would require more than one death and that a girl was without honor. She shrugged.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Freman wrote: »
    As someone whose reading has not caught up to the show yet, to me it really seems like the Dany and Jon Snow storylines are the actual story while the various political stuff going on in Westeros is doing nothing but making the realm weaker before the dragons and zombies show up.

I just said this.

But apparently things that should be fairly obvious from just season 1 are spoilers.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

Winter is coming... not soon enough.

• Options
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »

Re: Arya
    She unnamed Jaqen in exchange for their escape. He said it would require more than one death and that a girl was without honor. She shrugged.

I thought the was the agreement, but that a third would still be required after.

Either way, great scene, great dynamic between the characters, and just a great storyline for this season all around. Every single person in that storyline was fun, awesome, and used appropriately without being oversaturated.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

Boardwalk Empire will be back in the fall, Veep and Girls are both fun and interesting shows, and this new Sorkin Newsroom show looks like it'll be entertaining. HBO has a full slate of good stuff on the way.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This episode felt like wheel spinning. I mean, people talked and stuff, but otherwise, it was wheel spinning for the finale. Also, too bad the Stannis scene was only one this episode. For the guy who's constantly talked up as the guy who is gonna destroy King's Landing, we know next to zero about him.

And poor Ros. That ho can't catch a break.

Mad King George on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    We know Stannis is a competent commander, we know he values duty above all else, we know he has the biggest navy and the most men, and we know he is not someone who will surrender

override367 on
  • Options
    We know Stannis is a competent commander, we know he values duty above all else, we know he has the biggest navy and the most men, and we know he is not someone who will surrender

Is your post saying, "We have all the scenes we could possibly ever need to make Stannis more than simply a boogeyman who values duty,"...?

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular

Is your post saying, "We have all the scenes we could possibly ever need to make Stannis more than simply a boogeyman who values duty,"...?

No, it's not, stop being goosey.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I also found this episode to be slow overall.
    Daenerys and Jorah's scene was entirely perfunctory. I am of the opinion that if nothing significant happens to a character, the writers should just not show them and just save it all for the next episode. This is why Stannis's absence in the last few episodes hasn't bothered me all that much. I figured that if there was a narrative purpose to Stannis appearing, he would appear.

On the positive side, any scene between Tyrion and Varys is guaranteed to be a good scene, and tonight was no exception. Also it's good that Varys is expressing awareness of what Daenerys is up to; Westeros and Essos are more interconnected than it might seem.

The reveal that Cersei had the wrong whore was darkly hilarious. Peter Dinklage continues to earn the shit out of his top billing.

Hachface on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

Boardwalk Empire will be back in the fall, Veep and Girls are both fun and interesting shows, and this new Sorkin Newsroom show looks like it'll be entertaining. HBO has a full slate of good stuff on the way.

None of those are worth having TV for me. I'll probably end up cancelling until next year's GoT.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Awww. Not enough Ygritte this episode. =(

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    I also found this episode to be slow overall.
    Daenerys and Jorah's scene was entirely perfunctory. I am of the opinion that if nothing significant happens to a character, the writers should just not show them and just save it all for the next episode. This is why Stannis's absence in the last few episodes hasn't bothered me all that much. I figured that if there was a narrative purpose to Stannis appearing, he would appear.

On the positive side, any scene between Tyrion and Varys is guaranteed to be a good scene, and tonight was no exception. Also it's good that Varys is expressing awareness of what Daenerys is up to; Westeros and Essos are more interconnected than it might seem.

The reveal that Cersei had the wrong whore was darkly hilarious. Peter Dinklage continues to earn the shit out of his top billing.

Pretty sure they included that Dany + Jorah just to piss off Atomic Ross with how tenderly she touched Jorah's face.

She so manipulative.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »

When I say we know next to nothing about a character it's clearly from a three-dimensionalizing standpoint. A response that he "values duty" and a "has the biggest navy" as traits are boxes on a checklist on a trading card, not a rebuttal. That's goosey.

Mad King George on
  • Options

None of those are worth having TV for me. I'll probably end up cancelling until next year's GoT.

That's too bad. Boardwalk had one of the best seasons of TV period last season.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular

When I say we know next to nothing about a character it's clearly from a three-dimensionalizing standpoint. A response that he "values duty" and a "has the biggest navy" as traits are boxes on a checklist on a trading card, not a rebuttal. That's goosey.

Stannis has a lot going on internally -- though frankly, basically every character in this series does.
    He feels constantly and unfairly passed up for what is rightfully his, in his view. Because this thread is really prickly about sticking to the show, we know (from tonight's episode) that Stannis was passed up during Robert's rebellion when he felt he had command of Storm's End coming to him after he stuck it out during the siege, that Robert never really respected him for what is basically a fixed part of his core personality, that Renly seeks to challenge his legitimate hereditary claim on the Iron Throne, and that the Lannisters are denying him the Iron Throne on the basis of an illegitimate heir born of incest. Asserting himself in the War of the Five Kings is his way of giving all of Westeros a big 'Fuck you' and claiming what he believes is rightfully his.

He's also torn between what could be seen as a one-dimensional fixed insistence on doing things "honorably"... and doing what needs to be done to achieve what he deems to be "honorable" goals -- basically, trying to justify the means using the ends. He understands he's having to use what he himself perceives as "underhanded" tactics (relying on a former smuggler, employing dark forces to assassinate his enemies, using a foreign religion to stir devotion among his otherwise apathetic bannermen) to get what he wants, but justifies those tactics by assuring himself that his goals are honorable. Doing the honorable thing all the time has basically gotten him jack shit his whole life, and now he's trying to do things a little differently -- and so far, it's paying off.

There's also the question of how earnest his devotion to the Lord of Light really is. The magic that Melisandre wields has certainly helped him out in tough spots... but the unspoken question is at what cost. Is Melisandre actually enchanting and using him as a puppet?

tl;dr: Use your imagination, bro.

• Options
    Current lines of greatness:

"Where's the God of tits and wine?"

"One game at a time."

"Thieving is down almost 40%"
    "And how did we accomplish that?"
    "Rounded up all the known thieves."
    "...to question them?"
    "Nope."

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Stannis has a lot going on internally -- though frankly, basically every character in this series does.
    He feels constantly and unfairly passed up for what is rightfully his, in his view. Because this thread is really prickly about sticking to the show, we know (from tonight's episode) that Stannis was passed up during Robert's rebellion when he felt he had command of Storm's End coming to him after he stuck it out during the siege, that Robert never really respected him for what is basically a fixed part of his core personality, that Renly seeks to challenge his legitimate hereditary claim on the Iron Throne, and that the Lannisters are denying him the Iron Throne on the basis of an illegitimate heir born of incest. Asserting himself in the War of the Five Kings is his way of giving all of Westeros a big 'Fuck you' and claiming what he believes is rightfully his.

He's also torn between what could be seen as a one-dimensional fixed insistence on doing things "honorably"... and doing what needs to be done to achieve what he deems to be "honorable" goals -- basically, trying to justify the means using the ends. He understands he's having to use what he himself perceives as "underhanded" tactics (relying on a former smuggler, employing dark forces to assassinate his enemies, using a foreign religion to stir devotion among his otherwise apathetic bannermen) to get what he wants, but justifies those tactics by assuring himself that his goals are honorable. Doing the honorable thing all the time has basically gotten him jack shit his whole life, and now he's trying to do things a little differently -- and so far, it's paying off.

There's also the question of how earnest his devotion to the Lord of Light really is. The magic that Melisandre wields has certainly helped him out in tough spots... but the unspoken question is at what cost. Is Melisandre actually enchanting and using him as a puppet?

tl;dr: Use your imagination, bro.

So? I am talking about the fact that we've spent an incredibly little amount of time with him. "But tonight he had one conversation in which we learned this, this, and this." Again, wouldn't it have been nice to get another scene with the guy at some point in this entire second season where we find out more of who he is as a person than another scene where a character like Dany talks about getting her babies back?

• Options

You have no imagination if you actually see Stannis as being that simple through what we've seen of him.

• Options

You have no imagination if you actually see Stannis as being that simple through what we've seen of him.

"You haven't done the writer's work for them if you can't take this walking contradiction and turn him into a real guy in your mind!"

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    You haven't done your own work if you think the Stannis they've made is that simplistic.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options

"You haven't done the writer's work for them if you can't take this walking contradiction and turn him into a real guy in your mind!"

Writers are supposed to spell everything out for you? And how in the blazes is Stannis a contradiction?

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Was that the slowest episode of Game of Thrones ever or was it just me?

Not that I didn't enjoy some parts of it. I like the Stannis/Davos moment, Theon's little moment, and oddly some of the Jon bits (I usually don't like his parts)....

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Oona Chaplin is a very attractive lady.

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but I just found out she's the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin

weird

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Egos wrote: »
    Was that the slowest episode of Game of Thrones ever or was it just me?

Not that I didn't enjoy some parts of it. I like the Stannis/Davos moment, Theon's little moment, and oddly some of the Jon bits (I usually don't like his parts)....

I liked every little bit except for Dany who is just... I like her, and she's pretty and her story would be compelling on its own, but so little is happening there that I just can't get into it. Something MAJOR needs to happen next episode or I'm just going to start glazing over her bits when they come up. Then again, given that next week's episode features the only major battle we're likely to get any time soon, I also kind of hope the entire episode is Stannis laying siege to King's Landing and slicing Joffrey up like a tomato.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It was definitely slowly paced. But since the next two weeks should be all downhill, I don't mind. The way I read the summaries:
    Next week is indeed entirely the battle. And then all the other stories get their resolutions in episode ten.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    blixaphonicsblixaphonics the french champagne Registered User regular
    i'll be really choked if they skip away in the middle of the siege for 'hey, here's another 10 minutes of dany bitching about her dragons'. i want one 50 minute epic battle scene to make up for all the combat they skipped over in the first season.

• Options
    blixaphonicsblixaphonics the french champagne Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    whoaaa double-post.

blixaphonics on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    That episode was awesome. I've read some books, I forget what they were called, they were kinda like this show, though. And this show is better.

• Options
    Seeing as GRRM wrote the next episode, I'm 99 percent sure it's only going to feature the battle and Tyrion/Cersei/Joffrey/Sansa/Stannis/Davos scenes.

• Options
    Writers are supposed to spell everything out more fully round out a character for you?
    FTFY. And, yes. Yes, they are. It's actually their job. Weird, that.
    And how in the blazes is Stannis a contradiction?

How is he not?

We were introduced to a guy who writes nasty letters and has just tossed aside the entire religion of his people. Then we hear how duty-bound he is while we see him immediately cheat on his wife with a witch who promises him a son. Which, you know, would have been nice to see; a scene where he laments having no male heir woulda been kinda character expanding. Then we see him face off with his brother, talk about a dude's finger bones and send a witch off to have a demon baby and then play "Lalala! I can't hear you!" when Davos says he oughta think twice about this chica. That shit is contradictory: duty bound and tossing out your entire belief system and cheating on your wife don't go together; neither does being a competant leader and basically going, "Lalala! I will brook no argument or even counterpoint possiby meant to save me from myself!"

But before this goes further and gets more muddled. All I said was I wish Stannis had gotten a few more scenes this season to flesh him out. Period. That's my point. If your point is anything other than, "Yes, a few more scene with Stannis would have been nice," then you're saying "I disagree: the writers wrote Stannis as best he could have ever been written and did not in any way need to give him more scenes. End of story."

And if you feel that way, great. I'm not going to get into another knock down dragout over something this asinine.

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    Yeah Stannis is all honor-bound.

Except when he totally isn't.

This discussion has been closed.