As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ultimate Comics] Divided We Fall

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That's about the size of it.

I'll just add that the society of the Children was cooking for about 1000 years inside their time bubble, which they outgrew and aren't using anymore. So that's how advanced they are.

Frankly, I found Reed's transformation into a villain during Ultimate Enemy totally unbelievable at the time. I get the motivation - distaste for the modern world's rape of science (how he puts it). But I read back over older Ultimate FF stuff, and while I see the running theme of him being unhapy with science being misused, I do not see the tipping point where the brainy kid who out-thought Doom, Annihilus, Thanos, and Galactus decides that the best way to keep all these evil geniuses from abusing scientific knowledge is to kill every other scientist in the world!

I do like the villain he is now though, and the Children are an interesting foe, so I'm still happily following the Ultimates.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    So what about Doom? Last I remember of him he went to fight some zombies in the zombie world. If he's been back I doubt he'd be able to just watch for long without trying to best Reed.

I know Johnny was in Spiderman but what did Sue and Ben do?

• RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    Well, (Ultimatum spoilers)
    Doom is dead. Ben crushed his head. with his hands.

It was messy

Sue and Ben (I assume Sue is going to tell him right away) just found out about Reed

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    So what about Doom? Last I remember of him he went to fight some zombies in the zombie world. If he's been back I doubt he'd be able to just watch for long without trying to best Reed.

I know Johnny was in Spiderman but what did Sue and Ben do?

Doom was killed by Ben in FF: Requiem. Ben and Sue got engaged at the end of Ultimate Doom.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    That's about the size of it.

I'll just add that the society of the Children was cooking for about 1000 years inside their time bubble, which they outgrew and aren't using anymore. So that's how advanced they are.

Frankly, I found Reed's transformation into a villain during Ultimate Enemy totally unbelievable at the time. I get the motivation - distaste for the modern world's rape of science (how he puts it). But I read back over older Ultimate FF stuff, and while I see the running theme of him being unhapy with science being misused, I do not see the tipping point where the brainy kid who out-thought Doom, Annihilus, Thanos, and Galactus decides that the best way to keep all these evil geniuses from abusing scientific knowledge is to kill every other scientist in the world!

I do like the villain he is now though, and the Children are an interesting foe, so I'm still happily following the Ultimates.

Every alternate universe Reed Richards without a Sue Storm becomes evil. Ultimate just showed the slow progression.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Got to say this all blows my mind.

Has the Ultimate Universe regained steam since Loeb and all kinda crapped all over it.

Still trying to decide if all this sounds cool or just crazy.

Though I admit I do like there are actual consequences to people with super powers and freaking amazing abilities.

Has the Ultimate Universe regained steam since Loeb and all kinda crapped all over it.

Though I admit I do like there are actual consequences to people with super powers and freaking amazing abilities.

It def has, Ultimates and Spider-Man are amazing, and X-Men is pretty good too (new writer coming on after the next issue though, Brian Wood).

Ultimate Comics Ultimates is easily one of the best books Marvel is publishing right now (My favorite)

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular

Hickman's Ultimates is great, even if it's missing my favorite character (Ultimate Captain America). I like it better than just about anything else that has been written in the Ultimate universe. The Hawkeye miniseries tie-in was good too, if a little exposition heavy. It's a huge step up from Loeb's Ultimates. I haven't read the new Ultimate Spider-Man or X-Men, though.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Is Ultimate John Walker still being the best at everything?

I kind of worry abut him if Brian Wood is taking over Ultimate X-Men, the guy isn't exactly subtle about politics.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is Ultimate John Walker still being the best at everything?

I kind of worry abut him if Brian Wood is taking over Ultimate X-Men, the guy isn't exactly subtle about politics.

In the latest Ult. Xmen he
    Was caught right in the middle of tensions blowing up and could have easily escalated it/become a target. Instead popped some quick commands and helped/convinced Storm to help save the mutant children. So yes he's been awesome.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    ultimate enemy popped up on comixology if anyone wants to catch up with ultimate reed and is into digital comics

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'm really interested in Ultimate John Walker. At first glance they appear to be making him intentionally a counterpart to Ultimate Cap. Ultimate Cap seems to have a little USAgent in him. Ultimate John Walkers got a little of that purity you might associate with Cap.

Plus he's got his own thing going on that is interesting in of itself. I will be interested to see what happens to him if he separates from Storm.

Quire.jpg
    I haven't followed the Ultimate universe too closely and had a question about the most recent Ultimates:
    Does Tony have a son in this universe? If not, who is that kid he was talking to?

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    I haven't followed the Ultimate universe too closely and had a question about the most recent Ultimates:
    Does Tony have a son in this universe? If not, who is that kid he was talking to?

That was him as a kid. He has a big ole brain tumor that is causing him to hallucinate.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I'm really interested in Ultimate John Walker. At first glance they appear to be making him intentionally a counterpart to Ultimate Cap. Ultimate Cap seems to have a little USAgent in him. Ultimate John Walkers got a little of that purity you might associate with Cap.

Plus he's got his own thing going on that is interesting in of itself. I will be interested to see what happens to him if he separates from Storm.

I was surprised they didn't go straight towards evil like I expected.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    edited June 2012
    Really digging all the covers for August. And even though the cover to the Ultimates #14 is awesome, would love to Iron Man to get an unique armor again. (covers in spoiler)
    ULTSM2011013_COV.jpg

ULTMTS2011014_COV.jpg

ULTXM2011015_COV.jpg

Updated solicit post as well!
    USM11.jpg
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #11
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (w) • DAVID MARQUEZ (a)
    Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    • Spider-Man teams up with the Prowler?
    • Isn’t he a bad guy?!
    ULTSM2011012_COV.jpg
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #12
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) DAVID MARQUEZ (a)
    Cover by JORGE MOLINA
    • One of the best reviewed comics in the world continues!
    • Miles must choose between battling his uncle turned crime lord or joining him to keep his family safe!
    • What path will Miles take?!
    ULTSM2011013_COV.jpg
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #13
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (w) • DAVID MARQUEZ (A)
    Cover by JORGE MOLINA
    GRANOV VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    • DIVIDED WE FALL!!!
    • Guest starring CAPTAIN AMERICA

ULT12.jpg
    Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #12
    JONATHAN HICKMAN & SAM HUMPHRIES (w) • LUKE ROSS (a)
    Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    • Reed Richards: World’s Most Wanted!
    • How will Tony Stark survive the City without Iron Man?
    • Plus: the fate of Nick Fury!
    ULTMTS2011013_COV.jpg
    Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #13
    SAM HUMPHRIES (w) • Billy Tan (a)
    Cover by MICHAEL KOMARCK
    Variant Cover by ADI GRANOV
    • THE RETURN OF ULTIMATE CAPTAIN AMERICA!
    • Enter DIVIDED WE FALL, the Ultimate Comics line-wide event of the summer!
    • ALL CAP ACTION -- perfect jumping on point for new readers!
    ULTMTS2011014_COV.jpg
    Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #14
    SAM HUMPHRIES (w) • BILLY TAN (A)
    Cover by MICHAEL KOMARCK
    • Someone is working behind the scenes to divide the country, but who?!
    • Ultimate Cap, Ultimate Iron Man, and Ultimate Thor finally reunited! ULTIMATES ASSEMBLE!
    • A crisis in the United States forces the Ultimates into action!
    • DIVIDED WE FALL continues to rock the Ultimate Universe!

UXM13.jpg
    Ultimate Comics X-Men #13
    BRIAN WOOD (w) • CARLO BARBERI (a)
    Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    • Superstar writer Brian Wood takes over!
    • Kitty Pryde must save the world!
    9yMJe.png
    Ultimate Comics X-Men #14
    BRIAN WOOD (w) • PACO MEDINA (a)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by ADI GRANOV
    • Enter DIVIDED WE FALL, the Ultimate Comics line-wide event of the summer!
    • Kitty Pryde makes her stand!
    • What event will change the X-Men’s line-up forever?
    • Superstar writer Brian Wood continues his epic run on the Ultimate Universe’s band of misfit mutants!
    ULTXM2011015_COV.jpg
    Ultimate Comics X-Men #15
    BRIAN WOOD (w) • PACO MEDINA (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    • DIVIDED WE FALL concludes with a startling ending that sends us into the next exciting chapter!
    • A mutant refugee from one of the camps joins up, but where do their loyalties lie?
    • The war for mutant liberation starts here!
    • Guest-starring Nick Fury!

IqaHq.jpg
    Spider-Men #1
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (w) • SARA PICHELLI (a)
    Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    26q8Q.jpg
    Spider-Men #2
    Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    SPIDERMEN003_400_PREVIEWS.jpg
    Spider-Men #3
    Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    VARIANT COVERS BY SARA PICHELLI & TERRY DODSON
    • The ULTIMATE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EVENT OF THE YEAR!
    • Can both Peter Parker and Miles Morales defeat CLASSIFIED?
    • Guest starring Nick Fury and the Ultimates!
    SPIDMEN2012004_cov_CHEUNG.jpg
    Spider-Men #4
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (w) • SARA PICHELLI (A)
    Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    DEODATO VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    PICHELLI VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
    • Can the Spider-Men stop Mysterio?
    • Peter Parker comes face-to-face with the family he never had!
    • ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL MOMENTS IN THE LIVES OF BOTH SPIDER-MEN!!!

UltimateInferno on

Hensler wrote: »

That was him as a kid. He has a big ole brain tumor that is causing him to hallucinate.

Lol, thanks - I need to slow down when reading comics as good as Ultimates.

edited May 2012
    Ultimate Comics X-Men #12 Preview

Wonder what will end up getting tied up at the end of this issue (it's Spencer's last)

edit:
    2nd printing cover of Spider-Men #1, which I prefer to the original (they were unmasked)
    detail.jpg

UltimateInferno on

• TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    Tony having a brain tumor is a fascinatingly odd bit of continuity. He's pretty explicitly not of human construction, brain-wise, so a tumor being an issue for him is really... Weird.

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Tony is human
    The Orson Scott Card series is not canonical. Is that what you're referring to?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So I just found out my cousins have been collecting the ultimate books since the line launched and I mentioned wanting to read it.

I did read ult xmen up through the Phoenix being introduced way back.

But there's a lot of stuff in their boxes. I may just have to catch the big highlights to get me up to speed. So I'm wondering what are the books to read/avoid?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    nvm

Antimatter on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    ooooooooooooh my mistake

i forgot that the phoenix was introduced in like issue 20

christ it's been years

you know what, i'm just shutting up because i don't know Ultimate comics that well, other than knowing that USM is always good

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Read everything Spider-Man

Avoid Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum like the plague

Ultimates 1 and 2 are cool, though they have some creepy Millar stuff

Cool minis: Ultimate Human, Wolverine vs Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Doomsday trilogy, Armor Wars, Hawkeye

Once you're caught up to Death of Spider-Man you'll want to start following all 3 ongoings

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    Sigh. I liked the OSC series. Did they explicitly alt-world it or is it an offhand statement in an interview or what?

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
    Teyar wrote: »
    Sigh. I liked the OSC series. Did they explicitly alt-world it or is it an offhand statement in an interview or what?

It was retconned as a TV show in UC Avengers vs New Ultimates

jVboY.jpg

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It was a smart move

the OSC series made Tony like Wolverine but with his brain and took away the fact that he is a genius and built the Iron Man to be a superhero when he already had superpowers which actually are the reason he is a genius

also he is blue

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Also it was by OSC

and OSC can fuck off

I mean the concepts in it weren't inherently bad

they were pretty high sci-fi which I like

And I don't mind Tony having super-powers

but they were quite badly done and again OSC

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man what

Tony having powers completely defeats the point of his character unless he made them himself ala Extremis

he is a dude who built himself into a superhero

just having powers means he ain't Iron Man

CYpGAPn.png
    I would be happy for alternate world Iron Man to have powers

because that makes him different

and he could still be a cool character

there is no iron law (hehe) which says he must have no powers and build his suit all by himself

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

there is no iron law (hehe) which says he must have no powers and build his suit all by himself

that is the point of the character though

without the whole building a suit to make himself a super-person, he is just a guy in a suit

i mean, you can have an acrobatic blind martial artist super hero, but it doesn't have to be daredevil

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Iirc, ultimate human acts like the OSC series is canon.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Iirc, ultimate human acts like the OSC series is canon.

Ultimate human was written before the recon.

Quire.jpg
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    I can't be the only person who doesn't purchase OSC-written stuff.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I can't be the only person who doesn't purchase OSC-written stuff.

I don't purchase OSC stuff because the guy is a raging shithead in real life.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Same.

without the whole building a suit to make himself a super-person, he is just a guy in a suit

i mean, you can have an acrobatic blind martial artist super hero, but it doesn't have to be daredevil

There are lots of points to Iron Man's character

For example, one of them is that he was an Ironmonger who profited from war, until he realised the truth behind what his company supported and made money from.

He is a recovering alcholic

a womaniser

etc etc etc

I am just saying, an alt-world Iron Man could have super-powers and there'd be nothing wrong with that

there's no rule saying that Iron Man always must not have powers, and it would mix things up a bit

I mean Ultimate Iron Man (outside OSC's stuff) is basically a flanderized 616 Iron Man as is

He has all of his traits except accelerated

he drinks more, he sleeps with more women, he's even more of a bastard etc

Giving him powers to make him different alongside personality changes, I can understand that

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

There are lots of points to Iron Man's character

For example, one of them is that he was an Ironmonger who profited from war, until he realised the truth behind what his company supported and made money from.

He is a recovering alcholic

a womaniser

etc etc etc

I am just saying, an alt-world Iron Man could have super-powers and there'd be nothing wrong with that

there's no rule saying that Iron Man always must not have powers, and it would mix things up a bit

There's a pretty cool What If? where Tony Stark becomes the Sorcerer Supreme and, thereafter, develops a suit of armor with a huge database of spells that can also cast them quickly and automatically for him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    starting with a few of the origins (so far ff, spiderman, daredevil/electra and iron man) and I'm pretty sure the iron man one I read is the one you guys are talking about... because his entire body is brainmass. Also, he was blue.

so that doesn't count anymore I take it.