As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Natri's Renewed Drawing Thread. Also painting these days. [nsfw]

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cmyk-wip.jpg

Another portrait piece I'm currently working on. I'm not sure how to finish this yet, my classmates tell me the lady (which I did first) looks too much like a photograph, so I tried painting the man in a looser style... Although it is still rough, I was hoping to get some opinions from here, since you guys always have something valid to say that can help me out. So what do you think?

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    God fucking damn

You could try playing with your colour more if you wanted it to look less photo realsitic?

Kochikens on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I agree with kochi on both points. Mostly on the God Fucking DAMN. I really like whats going on in this thread.

You could experiment with the colors a bit. The woman is also pretty low contrast, especially compared to the dude.

Iruka on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy crap.

Also, what is wrong with making it photo realistic? I realize it's not that creative from a style standpoint... but dang.

NibCrom on
    edited February 2011
    So I bumped up the contrast a tad on the woman, but she (being the client) liked the original version better, so had to go with that one. I'm pretty close to calling this finished, still need to think about getting in a background, or maybe just leave it blank to focus the attention on their faces.
    Anyway, this is where I'm at now:

omaopa1.jpg

also, I found a drawing I did of these same people about two years ago, here it is for comparison:

omaopa.jpg

Natri on
    edited June 2011
    An update long overdue! This is a school assignment I had to do:

Dance in Red

Natri on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't really know about animation but that looked really beautiful. Everything in your thread is really a pleasure to look at, including your awesome improvement!

lyrium on
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Lyrium, glad you like it!

Here's an old school portrait drawing for a change, charcoal on newsprint. His hair's all messed up though, I've always found charcoal one of the hardest media to use.

pacino-web.jpg

Recognize this dude?

Natri on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Very nice!

Charcoal is the best! Workable and them shits is black!

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You're amazing - please keep doing what you're doing. Your improvements are admirable and your experiments are fun to watch and inspiring.

mully on
    edited June 2011
    Thank you Mes3 and mully, I'll do my best to keep this thing going!

Here's a work in progress of another portrait for a friend of mine:

eline-wip.jpg

Still need to put in a lot of time finishing up the girl, they were drawn off two separate photos with different lighting, so I'm trying to make her part of the same atmosphere as the guy and apply the same light source.

Natri on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh that
    Is so good
    but yeah, definitely fix up the lighting. His lighting is vastly preferable. She just looks like the photo was taken with flash turned on.

Kochikens on
  • Wilhelm_IIIWilhelm_III Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This whole thread is loaded with so much goodness! You've got much talent, and a real eye for composition!

Wilhelm_III on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    damn natri, you are an inspiration

the lighting and shadow on him is wonderful, I love the cooler tones on his forehead!

watch out for rendering the hair on that beard, it'll be difficult to keep the texture looking right while keeping definition on his chin, right now it's looking a little muddy

Brolo on
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the comments you guys!

Here is the 'finished' version:

eline-wip4.jpg

I should have done a lot better on the girl, but I only had 2 days to complete it and time ran out. There's a lot of things I am not quite happy with, but it was good practice.

Natri on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is a really excellent thread.

I wish I had something more useful to say!

Flay on
    edited July 2011
    Thank you Flay!

Here's some quick random doodle I did the other day:

scribbz.jpg

Natri on
    edited August 2011
    The first of many more acrylic paintings to come this month, I'm hoping to get about 20 of them done before school starts again. I find I have a hard time getting details down with acrylics, especially the hair has proven to be quite troublesome.

sjilderaai1.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness, wish I had better means to get a quality image of this on the web!

Natri on
    Here's another one:

sjilderaaigav.jpg

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    giant head baby!

I love your tonal control, and your brushstrokes are really nice and confident. Keep it up!

edited August 2011
    Thanks, tynic! Yeah, I guess he does have bit of a big head!

Natri on
    Some sketches I did from imagination:

roughposesimagination.jpg

And some quick referenced doodles:

dssketches.jpg

Here's a work-in-progress animation for an online competition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isWAUENNfio

Might give the football player a little more of a shift at the end, But I think the keys look great. What tools are you using?

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Oh wow I really like the paintings, I venture out so rarely into the world of the art threads I'm missing out on some pretty cool stuff.

I'm about to pull out some really advanced intricate art words, but I really love the sketches, there super "flowy" and natural.

The portrait of the elder couple up top is just amazing.

edited September 2011
    You're right, Iruka, I should get some better poses for the football player. I've been concentrating on the coach for now, but I'm definitely going to change the other guy. I'm thinking about changing the composition too, right now I've got it all cramped up screen left. I'll post an update when I've got some significant changes.

I'm using TVPAINT for this animation, it saves me a ton of time. I only have until the end of next week to get this thing finished, so it takes away some of the pressure of doing it on paper and having to scan it all.

Chromatomic, thank you for the comment, I'm glad you like it! I only just saw your thread today, really digging the nolan movie posters!

Natri on
    Nice, I did my thesis in TvPaint. Great program. Cant wait to see the progress!

Yeah it's a nice program to work with, I love the brushes it provides. And the pencil strokes are probably the best I have ever encountered in a digital program, in that you can hardly tell that the drawing on your screen isn't just a scanned-in real pencil drawing. No other software has given me that feeling before.

Anyway, here's where I'm at so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-lDf8SLEA

Still needs a lot of tweaking and drawings to get it fluent. Also haven't done anything new about the football player, thought I'd tackle it one person at a time. Shifted the composition a bit more to the center and put in most of the mouth shapes for the coach.

What do you think?

This is part of a series of portraits I've been commissioned to do:

brando.jpg

mcorleone.jpg

Ignore the font if you will.

Last one in this series:

donleone.jpg

Some quick doodles I did based on photos from the sartorialist, randomly trying some stuff and basically just trying to keep sketching:

sart261011.jpg

sart301011.jpg

Speedpainted doodle:

dancingintherain.jpg

warm-up doodle:

16-11-11.jpg

edited November 2011
    Hey guys,

I'm struggling like hell with this environment painting I'm doing for school. I was hoping you could give me some pointers/feedback on what I could do to improve this thing, because I feel like I'm fishing in the dark here.

italianwip2.jpg

The assignment is to paint an italian market square from a bird's eye view.

Any comments you have would be appreciated!

Natri on
  • Holy crap, that's one ambitious attempt at perspective- fisheye 5 point perspective with about a million buildings. It's so ambitious that in trying to explain it I completely ballsed it up myself, so my paintover here is kind of fudged to look 'ok', and isn't really all that accurate (I'll explain why below so you don't make the same mistake). Honestly I should probably redo it to be better but I don't have the time. Hopefully it's close enough that you can get the idea, though.

In any case, the main thing that I think is a sticking point currently is you're kind of slamming two 2/3-point perspective drawings together to make a kind of 4 point perspective- the left building follows its perspective, the right building follows its own- everything is done in straight lines. This would work fine if each of these buildings were in different drawings, but put next to each other they don't quite seem to tie together. That's because when you've got this wide angle fisheye thing going on, those nice lines leading off to vanishing points are going to curve from one to another, rather than just continuing on their own paths forever. (see the second graphic on the page here: http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/multiple-point-perspective.html)

Now, what I did was take the elipse tool in PS, and made an ellipse centered at the central vanishing point, and roughly fit the corners of the roof of building on the right, giving me a nice curving line to base the linework off of. And it gave me a pretty decent start to getting that fisheye feeling working, it starts tying the left and right sides together in a more cohesive fashion.

Where I fucked up is that I started using concentric ellipses inside the first one for the rest of my guidelines, rather than using curves that converge properly towards the left and right vanishing points (it's early and I didn't have my 'hardcore perspective wonk' hat on yet). This works ok closer to the center of the picture where things are more parallel, but if you notice closely (as I did, after like an hour), it becomes a problem on the right building, because it makes it look like it's getting wider the further away it is from the camera. So...don't do what I did, because it'll drive you nuts. Use a perspective grid like in that link (or just copy-paste it onto your PS doc as a guide). (Also this'll still drive you nuts just because it's a complicated thing to wrap your head around when drawing, but at least it'll drive you nuts in the right way.)

Natri_CrazyPerspective.jpg

(How's that for a crit, a crit where wind up I critting my own crit more than the original picture. :P)

edited November 2011
    Wow. Just wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to do the paintover and trouble yourself with this whole perspective thing, this is extremely helpful! I never stopped to think about the curving perspective lines. Going to rework it and I'll post an update, which hopefully will be more or less perspective-okay. Thanks a lot for your help, AoB!

Natri on
    After another long hiatus from drawing caused by a severe shoulder injury, here are a couple of things I've been doing since:

bdwdieet1.jpg

devito.jpg

and the one I posted in the doodle thread:

9-5-close.jpg

9-5-wip.jpg

Guess I might as well post the environment thing I was working on way back too, even though I was unable to finish it:

italy_web.jpg

These days, I'm really trying to do something different for each and every drawing I make, we'll see where it takes me..

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    always love it when you post, natri. Glad to see you back! Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury! What happened?

Thanks ninjai! Had an unfortunate fall during a sports game, apparently tore something from my "rotator cuff". Twice. Ah well, (sh)it happens, but now it's back to drawing!