As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Also the comic certainly takes the stance that Global Warming exists. Beyond that, which shouldn't be political at all, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Arc after the lizard one is something called "Hobgoblin Incorporated"

fjiJM.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Arc after the lizard one is something called "Hobgoblin Incorporated"

fjiJM.jpg

I require more costumes! Go Slott!

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    More Hobgoblin is always a good thing. I hated him at first because I was big fan of the Phil Urich Green Goblin series, but I've come around to him.

And seeing the Iron Spider suit in that pic reminds me... has anything been done with the last MVP Scarlet Spider clone since Initiative? I really liked those guys, and that costume.

Also, Spider-Man needs to become Captain Universe again and then go off and have adventures in space with Carol after she becomes Captain Marvel. That could be so much fun.

• Options
    Hensler wrote: »
    And seeing the Iron Spider suit in that pic reminds me... has anything been done with the last MVP Scarlet Spider clone since Initiative? I really liked those guys, and that costume.
    I think the last surviving Scarlet Spider, Patrick, was hanging with Justice's team. But since Justice popped up in Avengers Academy, no clue.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What costume is that in the background? And man, I continue to love the Scarlet Spider costume.

Also we need the Slingers costume!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    pretty sure that's the negative zone spider-man costume

and yes, we need Slingers

(and Spidercide)

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    When Janet comes back she needs to be upset that Peter has more costumes than her now. It will be a costume-off, David Bowie judges.

(I like all the different costumes, keep em coming)

• Options
    CostumeDeathlokSpidey.gif

And my all-time favorite Spidey costume, even if it was only in one issue that I know of:
    Spider-man_electro_armor.jpg

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also there's the bullet-proof one he used a short time ago, and the old Spider Armor outfit. And Bag-Man.

I don't recognize the one in the back either (never seen that Negative Zone story). I thought it was Venom at first - they have the same eyepieces now.
    Hensler wrote: »
    More Hobgoblin is always a good thing. I hated him at first because I was big fan of the Phil Urich Green Goblin series, but I've come around to him.

Same here. He showed up in Venom a couple of issues ago, I'm hoping they wind up fighting again since Kingpin is starting to take an interest in him.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I am really digging Scarlet Spider. #5 has Kaine use all his Other powers, doesn't like being called the Scarlet Spider or the phrase "for Pete's sake", and it seems like one of the bad guys he fights this issue was modeled heavily on Dan Didio.

• Options
    RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I'm loving Slott's take on Spidey, ordinarily I'd be pretty livid with the amount of costumes he's gotten, but given his direction with the character it works really well. Also I agree, we need more Hobgoblin!

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I am really digging Scarlet Spider. #5 has Kaine use all his Other powers, doesn't like being called the Scarlet Spider or the phrase "for Pete's sake", and it seems like one of the bad guys he fights this issue was modeled heavily on Dan Didio.

It was also really funny for an issue that was all about trying to keep Houston from being nuked

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Not surprising, but after Savage Six, Cullen Bunn takes over Venom as a solo writer starting with issue 23. Dude's getting lots of big gigs now, Wolverine, Venom, Co-Writes the main Captain America series in July.

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I sure hope they stop him with 2.5 books (Cap probably goes full time him in a bit), I don't want to see another Nick Spencer or Matt Fraction or even Bendis type deal. After seeing that happen in recent years there is a noticeable difference in a writer's quality the more books they get. I think this is why Hickman did so well, he was doing the SHIELD mini, Secret Warriors, and FF and then switched out SW for a creator owner book, then he got Ultimates after SHIELD was pretty much done and he seems to hover at 2 books full time, 1 book that he's far ahead on or has time to plan out. It's kind of like artists, they might say they can do a monthly book but unless they're Bagley or Larocca you want to see them deliver first with what they have, not what they think they can do.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I sure hope they stop him with 2.5 books (Cap probably goes full time him in a bit), I don't want to see another Nick Spencer or Matt Fraction or even Bendis type deal. After seeing that happen in recent years there is a noticeable difference in a writer's quality the more books they get. I think this is why Hickman did so well, he was doing the SHIELD mini, Secret Warriors, and FF and then switched out SW for a creator owner book, then he got Ultimates after SHIELD was pretty much done and he seems to hover at 2 books full time, 1 book that he's far ahead on or has time to plan out. It's kind of like artists, they might say they can do a monthly book but unless they're Bagley or Larocca you want to see them deliver first with what they have, not what they think they can do.

Also Bunn is doing that Captain America and ____ book, though maybe that'll disappear when he takes over the main title.
    Yeah, that Nick Spencer comparison is the scariest (I mean I love his Ultimate X-Men, but other than that Spencer's marvel stuff is really ehhhh).

UltimateInferno on

• Options
    This will make some people mad!
    Where is Toxin's former host? Remender says he was beaten to death in a gutter. "He's gone," Brennan adds. "It was off-panel, unfortunately we didn't have time to show it," Remender said, "but Blackheart, he done killed him."

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    As someone who really loved the Toxin mini

I am not that mad

the character hadn't been touched in years and Remender was right, there are way too many heroic symbiotes running around

I'd rather have an entertaining Venom story that uses the Toxin symbiote than the potential story using the symbiote and Pat that probably would never happen

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I don't even know who Toxin is

Venom is the hero symbiote for me

man I love Flash Thompson Venom so much

• Options
    Toxin was a spawn of Carnage(I think?) that bonded with a cop and had the mentality of a child

so it began to take after its' host and they became a begrudging team, with Pat teaching the symbiote how to be a hero and the symbiote trying not to kill anyone.

It was a really fun mini but no one ever touched it again.

I mean the dude's last appearance before Venom was on the cover of the first issue of the Initiative

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    that sounds like a cool character that I would probably like

but yeah, I agree. Better to make a good story for a character that is actually doing something that with a character who will in all liklihood never be touched again

• Options
    Furu wrote: »
    This will make some people mad!
    Where is Toxin's former host? Remender says he was beaten to death in a gutter. "He's gone," Brennan adds. "It was off-panel, unfortunately we didn't have time to show it," Remender said, "but Blackheart, he done killed him."

fuck off, Remender.

• Options
    He should have had Toxin's host (I can't remember his name) finally succeed in killing himself.

• Options
    he could've had a random symbiote used

he could've left Toxin in limbo

i would prefer someone be left unused for a long time and wait for the right person to use a character versus breaking them so no one can use them again

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    he could've had a random symbiote used

he could've left Toxin in limbo

i would prefer someone be left unused for a long time and wait for the right person to use a character versus breaking them so no one can use them again

Isn't half the point of the stuff going down in Venom that there is a limited number of symbiotes left? Inventing a random one wouldn't work too well in that case.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Then he could've ripped the symbiote from Payback, or kept the Toxin thing without killing Pat

I am just VERY irritated by this.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    What happened to all the symbiotes Doom set loose, with his "Venom Bomb?" Did they all get shot into space, or something?

I always think it's kind of harmful, when writers cavalierly kill off characters. Part of buying into a shared universe, is lending your trust to writers. You're not just investing in the creators, but their creations, too. You're trusting not just them, but the other creators and editorial staff at the company, to shepherd those characters, be it to a satisfying end, or along a continued journey

I remember reading a creator, in responding to fan outrage over a character they'd killed, saying something like, "Look, don't worry. It's just a fictional character."

That's true, but man, it seems so wrong-headed. If that's your attitude as a creator, that this character you didn't care for didn't matter and could be so easily disposed of, why should we care about your characters, and your stories? Why should we believe that, once you've moved on to something else, or the book's been cancelled, another writer won't just cheaply kill off the character we've spent time and money following, or undo the consequences of your run?

Really, if you want to wonder why nobody bothers trying new characters or new series anymore, I think you can partially blame poor follow-through, on the part of creators. I bought every appearance of Doctor Voodoo, because I was excited about the stuff Remender talked about in interviews, and I wanted to follow that character's journey. Even when the series was cancelled, I was hopeful that the character would find a home someplace else in the universe, where his new role could be further explored.

And then another Brian Bendis killed him off in an Avengers story, the repercussions of which have never really been dealt with, and likely never will, given that Bendis is moving on from the Avengers, shortly.

When you look at all the Avengers: Initiative characters, Toxin, Sentry, Ares, the Hood, the Runaways, the Young Avengers, Doctor Voodoo, and every other new or refurbished character that Marvel either killed off or otherwise mishandled in some way, it's hard to see why anyone would take a chance on something new and different.

But, I also think there's something to be said, for just taking the work as it is, and judging it on its own merits. Sure, I was mad when the only follow-up that DC's Son of Vulcan received, was when he was blasted into a coma, in a really shitty Judd Winick book. That sucked, but I still got six issues of a really awesome Son of Vulcan series.

Winick was under no obligation to me as a reader, to use Son of Vulcan in a way that was respectful of him, or his fans. But, it would have been nice.

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    What happened to all the symbiotes Doom set loose, with his "Venom Bomb?" Did they all get shot into space, or something?

I always think it's kind of harmful, when writers cavalierly kill off characters. Part of buying into a shared universe, is lending your trust to writers. You're not just investing in the creators, but their creations, too. You're trusting not just them, but the other creators and editorial staff at the company, to shepherd those characters, be it to a satisfying end, or along a continued journey

I remember reading a creator, in responding to fan outrage over a character they'd killed, saying something like, "Look, don't worry. It's just a fictional character."

That's true, but man, it seems so wrong-headed. If that's your attitude as a creator, that this character you didn't care for didn't matter and could be so easily disposed of, why should we care about your characters, and your stories? Why should we believe that, once you've moved on to something else, or the book's been cancelled, another writer won't just cheaply kill off the character we've spent time and money following, or undo the consequences of your run?

Really, if you want to wonder why nobody bothers trying new characters or new series anymore, I think you can partially blame poor follow-through, on the part of creators. I bought every appearance of Doctor Voodoo, because I was excited about the stuff Remender talked about in interviews, and I wanted to follow that character's journey. Even when the series was cancelled, I was hopeful that the character would find a home someplace else in the universe, where his new role could be further explored.

And then another Brian Bendis killed him off in an Avengers story, the repercussions of which have never really been dealt with, and likely never will, given that Bendis is moving on from the Avengers, shortly.

When you look at all the Avengers: Initiative characters, Toxin, Sentry, Ares, the Hood, the Runaways, the Young Avengers, Doctor Voodoo, and every other new or refurbished character that Marvel either killed off or otherwise mishandled in some way, it's hard to see why anyone would take a chance on something new and different.

But, I also think there's something to be said, for just taking the work as it is, and judging it on its own merits. Sure, I was mad when the only follow-up that DC's Son of Vulcan received, was when he was blasted into a coma, in a really shitty Judd Winick book. That sucked, but I still got six issues of a really awesome Son of Vulcan series.

Winick was under no obligation to me as a reader, to use Son of Vulcan in a way that was respectful of him, or his fans. But, it would have been nice.

Holy shit, I thought I was the only person who loved Son of Vulcan.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i liked son of vulcan too

and i agree that breaking another kids toys and throwing them in the dumpster is really mean and stupid

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

It turned out to be a virus, and Iron Man cured it, turning everyone back to normal.

I am also bummed about Toxin - they could have used the symbiote off of literally any other damned symbiote character and I would not have cared in the slightest. Like Carnage - I could have done without Casady ever coming back. Blackheart could've grabbed the Carnage symbiote from space with magic.

We'll probably lose out on all the character progression Toxin has undergone too. Darn it. At least everything else about Venom and this storyline is great so far.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    In the August Solicits...
    Peter Parker, Spider-Man #156.1
    ROGER STERN (W)
    ROB DE LATORRE (A)
    Cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR

Sensational Spider-Man #33.1& 33.2
    TOM DEFALCO (W)
    CARLO Barberi (A)
    Covers by SIMONE BIANCHI

Web of Spider-Man #129.1 & 129.2
    STUART MOORE (W)
    DAMION SCOTT (A)
    Cover by MIKE MCKONE

What?? REALLY?

Are they bringing them back, or just as a one time deal for the 50th anniversary?

• Options
    The latter

• Options
    edited May 2012
    ASM #700 to be big, don't know how big that is on the standard Marvel hyperbole scale, but it seems like it would be MJ and Peter getting back together. Unless they make Peter and Carlie get married.......

Peter and MJ is the only thing that could really be a genuine big thing. Aunt May dying or something, we've done that before, someone else dying, already done on a yearly basis with JJJ's wife and Johnny, identity revealed, seen it, city destroyed or something like that, happens every week it seems.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ASM #700 to be big, don't know how big that is on the standard Marvel hyperbole scale, but it seems like it would be MJ and Peter getting back together. Unless they make Peter and Carlie get married.......

Peter and MJ is the only thing that could really be a genuine big thing. Aunt May dying or something, we've done that before, someone else dying, already done on a yearly basis with JJJ's wife and Johnny, identity revealed, seen it, city destroyed or something like that, happens every week it seems.

From the article it sounds more personal to the individual spider-man/ Peter Parker character than simply a new spouse. Either something like a new superhero identity, complete new outlook / mantra, new powers(again), but it's probably none of those and something different.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Slott has been having a hell of a run, so I trust him to do something good.

• Options
    I mean it is pretty dang clear Peter and MJ are getting back together in Ends of the Earth

so I am pretty sure 700 will be something way bigger than that since he is comparing it the fallout of AvX

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

From the article it sounds more personal to the individual spider-man/ Peter Parker character than simply a new spouse. Either something like a new superhero identity, complete new outlook / mantra, new powers(again), but it's probably none of those and something different.

A dog.

Spider-dog. You heard it here first.

• Options
    return of Spidercide!

Peter finally gets his driver's license, and has a new spidermobile!

• Options
    Peter Parker, Director of SHIELD.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Spider-Man buys a boat!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb