As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

19596979899101»

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    poster for next week;

vMwKH.jpg

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Probably new thread time.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Eh, it's like saying damascus steel was made with dark magic.

In a world without knowledge of chemistry, sufficiently advanced technology, magic, etc.

No, trust me, it's literal actual real magic. They are magic swords. It's not just durable steel, it is unbreakable steel that won't lose an edge after thousands of years of use.

Why don't you come into the book thread and cite that? That's not me being a dick, that's genuine interest, since there's been no explicit mention of Valyrian steel being actual magic in either medium to the best of my knowledge and you seem pretty damn sure.

They say on the show in the first season that the swords always stay sharp.

You don't need to explicitly say that it is magic. It is clearly beyond even our modern Earth technology.

I may have come off as a little too big for my breeches there, and I also might've been wrong about which phase of the sword gets the magic touch. I'm still certain that there is magic involved but it might not be, like, they wave wands at the hot metal while forging it and make it magic.

My point was that it's not "magic" the way a lightbulb would seem "magic" to a Roman, there is unquestionably spooky shit going on with the metal that isn't equatable to any real-world material.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Also, if they're convinced Stannis is hitting the Muddgate...

Is that why he doesn't have an heir yet?

:^:

This is lol.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    ok i made the new thread so this doesn't get locked while i'm off chasing hood rats

Organichu on
  • SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular

In a world without knowledge of chemistry, sufficiently advanced technology, magic, etc.

No, trust me, it's literal actual real magic. They are magic swords. It's not just durable steel, it is unbreakable steel that won't lose an edge after thousands of years of use.

Wait, isn't Jon shown sharping his blade at Castor's house?

gotsig.jpg
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    There's also the Targaryan thing. For 300 years, the kings and queens of Westeros were largely incestuous. Of course, they also seemingly had a high rate of Crazy and Magic Powers.

This is a fascinating tangent of the show for me.

Jaime and Cersei are clearly attracted to each other on their own merits, but they also justify the whole thing in their "moments of doubt" by remembering that this is what the Targaryens did. Basically, they are seeking to emulate what was for the last 300 years the most powerful dynasty in all of Westeros -- a dynasty that transcended mere political power by virtue of their command of dragons and of other ostensibly supernatural powers. Jaime and Cersei are implicitly (or maybe explicitly) concluding that because the Targaryens gambled with potential madness for the chance to preserve their superior lineage, that it was okay for Lannisters to do it too.

Just a clarification, since several people have mentioned it: The Targaryens were not wizards. Some of them thought they were wizards, but those guys were crazy. Magic has been all but dead in Westeros (and largely in Essos as well) since the decline of the Children of the Forest and the Doom of Valyria, respectively. Targaryen conquest was based on dragons and Targaryen dominion was based on political connections stemming from having a gigantic fucking family that married younger royals to noble houses and such, as well as putting younger royals in various positions of influence (maesters, for example.)

Dany is immune to fire and hatched dragons from petrified eggs. Their line can tame dragons, which probably can't just be done by anybody (otherwise you'd probably hear of non-Targaryan dragon riders). I don't have to be book-learned to know that this implies that some of them have magic powers. How likely is it that Dany is the only Targaryan ever who has paranormal abilities?

They say flat-out in the show that the gods flip a coin when a Targaryan is born, with heads being Greatness and tails being Batshit Loony. This is of course an exaggeration, as we know at least one Targaryan who is not crazy and not great, having refused the crown, ending up blind and humbled at the Wall with the Night's Watch. The original point remains, the Targy's are all up in eachother's business (and reproductive organs), and ruled for three centuries.

Also, for magic being "dead", there sure is a lot of it still floating around. Valeryan steel magic swords, 900' walls made of ice that doesn't seem to ever melt, Zombie Drogo, weird shared prophetic Bran and Rickon dreams, glowing anti-poison necklaces, shadow baby assassins, illusionary warlocks...

Valyrian steel isn't magical, just really really fucking good steel. It's what idiots think Katanas are.

They're spellforged, never lose an edge, never break, etc. Totes magic. Whatever they're made out of probably isn't, but the swords themselves are.

EDIT: I re-read that and realized how dumb it sounded. Valyrian steel is a special kind of steel AFAIK, and pretty much everything that comes out of that place is magic as fuck, but I don't know if the steel is inherently magic in the same way the swords definitely are.

Valyrian Steel was spellforged and required dragon fire, so it qualifies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WemjYwYCAy0
    Sicarii wrote: »

Wait, isn't Jon shown sharping his blade at Castor's house?

Jon Snow is a fucking idiot though

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.