As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You silly [chat]

1878889909193»

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Speakers are one of those mechanically simple things that, as long as you don't damage something catastrophically, I imagine could be repaired.

My best friend has a set of Bose speakers that he's been using daily since 2002 that still sound awesome.

Are you sure it's the speakers and not your audio source?

I am sure of nothing.

I don't have any other audio output devices that could be easily swapped in.

If I plug in some headphones, I'd have to sit hunched over for hours, and even then it may not happen.

The only audio output I might feasibly use is my television. I imagine I could convince it to treat my computer like a game console, and play the audio over an hdmi cable. That just necessitates some pretty heavy lifting.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what steps would I take to narrow things down?

What's the setup look like now? What are the speakers connected to, and how?

Basically what you do in a situation like this is isolate the problem. Try different speakers. If you experience the issue, you know it's the audio source's fault (the stereo or PC or whatever) and not the speakers.

A traditional 3.5 mm speaker jack leaves a subwoofer and is plugged into my motherboard. The subwoofer then has 3 normal connections for the left and surround-sound speakers; the right speaker is a different sort of plug.

I don't any other speakers. I will be swapping my second monitor and television and seeing if I can get the audio to come through the tv's speakers instead, though.

Do you have an iPod that you could plug into that 3.5mm jack? I'd say do that and go about your business using the PC as normal.

It could be a weird software issue.

What kind of PC are you on? It would be a good idea to go to the manufacturer's page and download the latest audio drivers.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    u disgust me

last science question, since you have S-levels and everything:

cardiovascular arcon? study. Makes no sense to me, atrium is obvious but there's no way he's saying that, nothing else springs to mind. R-something?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tube laying down the law in the Adblock thread. Nice.

I like to think his suggestions for monetising the forums were things like 'hooking them up to a giant hamster wheel to provide electricity', or 'enforced organ-donation'. He has extensive business proposals with flowcharts, graphs and diagrams dedicated to these things, and after every meeting in which his dreams are shot down he trudges back to his desk to start anew.

"This time", he thinks, "they'll go for it." And then he draws a big picture of an industrial blender with rotating knives and a conveyor belt production line for dog food that deals with the finely blended meat. At the top of the blender, he draws a long line of people being pushed in. Each person wears a badge that displays a forumer's name.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I love you Bogart

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    nothing suggested itself to me, so a quick google returns this

http://www.fcesoftware.com/arconfcedescription.html

a protocol for cardiovascular assessment doesnt sound too out of place here?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    morning nerds!

• Options
    I can his face, frustrated and on the verge of tears, as he consigns the five gig folder named "Chumming with Forumers: New Penny Arcade Revenue Streams in the Fishing Industry" to the recycling bin.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I can his face, frustrated and on the verge of tears, as he consigns the five gig folder named "Chumming with Forumers: New Penny Arcade Revenue Streams in the Fishing Industry" to the recycling bin.

:)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    morning nerds!

Morning CPAsshole!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I mean, I am personally glad they decide to spend 5 figures a year keeping this forum afloat.

I have met lots of classy people in the real world, played tons of games and landed my current roommate courtesy of the site.

I really was expecting the lone banner ad at the top of the page to eventually rotate paid advertising in there at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    nothing suggested itself to me, so a quick google returns this

http://www.fcesoftware.com/arconfcedescription.html

a protocol for cardiovascular assessment doesnt sound too out of place here?

Ta

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    landed my current roommate courtesy of the site.

Deuce on that.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    So, a question for you fine folks. I'm holding off on finishing me3 till the dlc comes out and was thinking of starting up a femshep in ME2 but all I've ever played really is soldier. Anyone have any suggestions on classes?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    No u

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »
    morning nerds!

Morning CPAsshole!

A big firm is merging with another big firm. Now they're going to have an office in Illinois!

I can't wait. I hope I get in so I can move away from New Jersey

tyrannus on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    No u

No u in tha face!

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    The adblock thread reminds me that I click on advertising like erry day. Hell, I clicked on Sandals this morning to quote out next years vaca.
    "The William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Suite" sounds nice
    :winky:

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    my surname is apparently impossible to pronounce

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I mean, I am personally glad they decide to spend 5 figures a year keeping this forum afloat.

Holy fuck that's a fair chunk of change.
    I am glad too, but I guess I had no idea how much keeping this going would cost.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I have met lots of classy people in the real world, played tons of games and landed my current roommate courtesy of the site.

I really was expecting the lone banner ad at the top of the page to eventually rotate paid advertising in there at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

its also kind of cool that they are rich enough to be like "yeah we spend 5 figures running a free forum. No big deal."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hey fine folks of [chat] anyone have any experience with the bowflex? I'm looking for a collapsible home gym of sorts to supplement my gym membership (my girlfriend isn't really interested in weight training and we only stay long enough for some walking/jogging).

Wonder if any of you have any experience with it before I head to H/A with this and get the "dur hur free weights" that take up a shit ton of room.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I've certainly gained friends through the forums. I dunno if my buying all the books and games PA produce is adequate recompense. I doubt it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    HerrCron wrote: »

Holy fuck that's a fair chunk of change.
    I am glad too, but I guess I had no idea how much keeping this going would cost.

Most likely it's to pay Tube's salary. But I'd really like to see their books and see if he does other things, if it's just hardware costs, or what's it about.

bowen on
  • Options
    Gonmun wrote: »
    So, a question for you fine folks. I'm holding off on finishing me3 till the dlc comes out and was thinking of starting up a femshep in ME2 but all I've ever played really is soldier. Anyone have any suggestions on classes?

Vanguard.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

its also kind of cool that they are rich enough to be like "yeah we spend 5 figures running a free forum. No big deal."

Back when I ran a forum (with some advanced utility) for a group of 150 active posters and a few hundred lurkers, it cost me about 1400/yr for the hardware to keep it reliably afloat.

This shit is not cheap.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I am told that Soldier is the simplest class to engage in if you're just interested in the story and renegade interrupts and stuff.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    morning nerds!

Morning CPAsshole!

A big firm is merging with another big firm. Now they're going to have an office in Illinois!

I can't wait. I hope I get in so I can move away from New Jersey

Good riddance!

(please dont go. the nerds need you. they look up to you.)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    what is your surname ronyaz

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Vanguard.

Engineer

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Who wants to make a new chat?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Hey fine folks of [chat] anyone have any experience with the bowflex? I'm looking for a collapsible home gym of sorts to supplement my gym membership (my girlfriend isn't really interested in weight training and we only stay long enough for some walking/jogging).

Wonder if any of you have any experience with it before I head to H/A with this and get the "dur hur free weights" that take up a shit ton of room.

Also, not really looking to get ripped like fucking thor either, just to have less of bitchtits than I have that jogging isn't speeding along for me.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    good morning bros

who wants to dap this

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Vanguard.

Engineer

Vangineer. Enguard. Vangenguard

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    jacob i get here and you are going to close the thread

what the hell is that

good morning to you too, jerkob

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Vanguard.

Engineer

Vangineer. Enguard. Vangenguard

I would love to meet a Vagineer

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

*Raises Hand*

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    huh I didn't know this was tube's actual job

• Options

Also, not really looking to get ripped like fucking thor either, just to have less of bitchtits than I have that jogging isn't speeding along for me.
    Jogging will not firm you up all that much; you want to supplement with some weights.

That said, bowflex sucks.

If you want to save yourself a bunch of room and still get a full workout in, consider getting a pair of select-a-weight dumbbells. You can do almost everything with those that you need to build up, and they take up almost no room.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

*Raises Hand*

go for it!

@Gooey muahahaha, etc.

This discussion has been closed.