As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I mean it is pretty dang clear Peter and MJ are getting back together in Ends of the Earth

so I am pretty sure 700 will be something way bigger than that since he is comparing it the fallout of AvX

also Carlie's dating the cop from Punisher so it doesn't look like she'll be coming back anytime soon

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's Peter and MJ's really real wedding issue, and they can have it on the View too!

Slott's mention/comparisons to AvX doesn't really stand out because we're always told the big event has lasting repercussions etc etc and they have to deliver on it this time as opposed to just being in the standard event talking point lexicon (sidenote: does Cap's shield still have the crack in it?)

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Peter Parker, Director of SHIELD.

I'd prefer this to Peter and MJ back together.

I'd much rather Spider-Man have UST with all the females of the Marvel Universe... forever.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Impossible Man comes back to alter reality to let Peter Parker kick Quesada square in the jimmies?

I'd buy all the copies!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I trust Slott to do something big, and if it's "Marvel Universe changing big" it isn't going to be peter and MJ getting married jesus christ you guys are obsessed

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Furu you just don't understand

this is important

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Furu wrote: »
    I trust Slott to do something big, and if it's "Marvel Universe changing big" it isn't going to be peter and MJ getting married jesus christ you guys are obsessed
    He's already said it's not the undoing of another story or a retcon so yeah, definitely not a marriage.

Still waiting for him to hook up with someone new other than Carlie who was a fucking train wreck terrible choice for his first new girlfriend.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Having them get together wouldn't undo OMD unless their marriage of several years returned.

A new marriage, or simply them getting back together as boyfriend and girlfriend, wouldn't undo or retcon anything.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I liked Carlie.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    ben reilly: director of shield

first order? get rid of that menace, spider-man

7656367.jpg
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Having them get together wouldn't undo OMD unless their marriage of several years returned.

A new marriage, or simply them getting back together as boyfriend and girlfriend, wouldn't undo or retcon anything.
    Okay, now you're just splitting hairs.

Peter isn't getting married again, the whole point of OMD was to get him single again, roping him back into a one woman for eternity routine and having him marry anyone would undo OMD.
    I liked Carlie.
    Eh.

I prefer Norah. Shame she's having gross Goblin sex right now.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Him and carol finally get together!

Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Okay, now you're just splitting hairs.

Peter isn't getting married again, the whole point of OMD was to get him single again, roping him back into a one woman for eternity routine and having him marry anyone would undo OMD.

But going by Quesada's own logic that he explained for OMIT, they never were married because Mephisto going back in time negated the original deal, so getting the two back together wouldn't be undoing anything that has started since Brand New Day. I don't see how MJ and Peter getting back together now would interfere with anything Slott has been doing, since it seems he is being allowed to slowly move them back to where they were. All the BND supporters would get their Spider-Man stories the way they like it now, and now the spider-marriage (or at least spider-long term relationship) side gets the two back together. And everyone breaks bread and sings songs. So Carol Danvers has to go make out with some Kree or Hawkeye because everyone else is right now, happens all the time.

Unless Slott brings back Gwen Stacy because of the movie, and she has 2 more spider-kids who want to kill Peter. And then Peter goes "this is patricide!" and one of them says, with sunglasses on, "no, this is Parkercide"

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    and then Spidercide appears from the shadows and declares "no, this is Spidercide"

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    and then Spidercide appears from the shadows and declares "no, this is Spidercide"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So my roommate thought the new movie was about Peter Parker's kid.

And I realized instantly that oh my god that would work better why not do that?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Er

how exactly would that work better

HEY HERE IS PETER PARKER'S SON WHO ACTS EXACTLY LIKE HIM AND IS ALSO SPIDER-MAN

CYpGAPn.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Ha, yeah. And if he had a daughter, what would she call herself? Spider-Girl?

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Er

Because I would rather not see an origin story for every property every 4 years with a new lead.

It is SO boring. And I love Spider-Man the most. But for fuck's sake. It is so. Boring.

I think legacy heroes work well in a format where people age between films, and inevitably need to be replaced. The Flash would be an easy one I guess. But you could also do Spider-Man, followed by the new Ultimate Spider-Man for the reboot 10 years later. I don't know.

Anything but Peter Parker's parents. I cannot remember a mention of them that isn't soul-crushingly inessential.

Edit: Also isn't the whole plot of the new one that his parents make him Spidey?

So... it could be about Peter making his son Spider-Man in order to continue the legacy, or something.

Or that one Astro City story about fake Spider-Man's family business superheroing, that would be neat.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited May 2012
    Er

Because I would rather not see an origin story for every property every 4 years with a new lead.

It is SO boring. And I love Spider-Man the most. But for fuck's sake. It is so. Boring.

I think legacy heroes work well in a format where people age between films, and inevitably need to be replaced. The Flash would be an easy one I guess. But you could also do Spider-Man, followed by the new Ultimate Spider-Man for the reboot 10 years later. I don't know.

Anything but Peter Parker's parents. I cannot remember a mention of them that isn't soul-crushingly inessential.

Edit: Also isn't the whole plot of the new one that his parents make him Spidey?

So... it could be about Peter making his son Spider-Man in order to continue the legacy, or something.

Or that one Astro City story about fake Spider-Man's family business superheroing, that would be neat.

Ten years. A decade. Spider-Man came out in 2002.

You're old. They got to reboot that shit eventually. People are acting like it happens all the time. It doesn't.

And Peter and MJ is not ground-breaking by any metric.

Automaticzen on
    In terms of Spider-Man's origin, it pops up all the time. We have the two cartoons since Spidey 3, the season one hardcover, the ultimate universe, it is anywhere and everywhere for people who just avoid popular culture to find and know.

This is why comics and their movies should just take the Bond approach, time moves forward characters stay roughly the same unless there is an agreement to age characters so much and actually put forward a new group of heroes. Like Spider-Girl.

but out of all of those things

the average person has probably only seen Spider-Man 3, which wasn't even an origin movie

we aren't exactly a good barometer for what the common man knows about pop culture/comics

I mean I know Spidey's origin is iconic and pretty goddamn well known, but a bunch of people who read comics on an internet forum about reading comics being tired of seeing it and Joe Average being tired of seeing it are two totally different things

CYpGAPn.png
    I'm not expecting people to realize who Scarlet Spider is or Aunt May dying and coming back two or three times, it's something that wouldn't come up unless people actively want to know the answer to it.

But they do know the major comic characters, or more importantly, the people who are going to be the most malleable to see the movies know about the origin already. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, it is ingrained into pop culture. And X-Men is too, to a lesser extent.

Just from my experience at work and my friends, they saw the new trailer with Avengers and as they realized it wasn't Spidey 4 they wondered a) why are they telling the origin again and b) where is Mary Jane. You've got the DVDs, which aren't even that dated, to show someone who has been in a cave or your 5-6 year old to get them up to speed, or the cartoons. People understand the James Bond movie logic, they can understand superheroes.

1 origin story every 20 years, that's as early as I would go.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular

DeConnick has already said she doesn't believe it'd work as a long term thing

so

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Furu wrote: »

DeConnick has already said she doesn't believe it'd work as a long term thing

so

it doesn't have to work in the long term. I just need it to happen!

initiatefailure on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    DeConnick is wrong, it could work

I can think of a few cool reasons why right now, too

but if she doesn't want to do that, then that's fine

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I had this same argument with some friends. I believed a new Origin wasn't needed. I still think they could get around it by implying it.

But we went around to a bunch of young people. People who would have been 3 to 9 when the first movie came out. You'll be surprised to learn that most didn't know. They knew about Spider-man but couldn't tell you how he got his powers and why he does what he does.

The movie is for them too. The people coming of age right now that maybe didn't watch the first series.

It has to be.

Quire.jpg
    edited May 2012
    I had this same argument with some friends. I believed a new Origin wasn't needed. I still think they could get around it by implying it.

But we went around to a bunch of young people. People who would have been 3 to 9 when the first movie came out. You'll be surprised to learn that most didn't know. They knew about Spider-man but couldn't tell you how he got his powers and why he does what he does.

The movie is for them too. The people coming of age right now that maybe didn't watch the first series.

It has to be.

This is the point I keep bringing up. We frame these movies within our own experience, but movie producers are aiming for the mainstream 18-24 demographic. I'm personally five years outside of that, so I just assume they don't love me anymore. How many are in the same boat?

Ten years is enough time for one version. That's why I'm glad Nolan's Batman is bowing out with this film.

I'll be super impressed if Downey makes it another two movies as Iron Man.

Automaticzen on
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

It has to be.

This is the point I keep bringing up. We frame these movies within our own experience, but movie producers are aiming for the mainstream 18-24 demographic. I'm personally five years outside of that, so I just assume they don't love me anymore. How many are in the same boat?

Ten years is enough time for one version. That's why I'm glad Nolan's Batman is bowing out with this film.

QUIET YOU

He's going to play Iron Man forever

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Did S

It has to be.

QUIET YOU

He's going to play Iron Man forever

If he does, at least TNB will have a second avatar ten years from now

huntresssig.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    With the pay Marvel is giving him, I don't see RDJ quitting anytime soon.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So part 5 of Ends of the Earth was really great, can't wait to see how the whole thing ends. Also I need to remember to pick up Avenging issue 8 to get the epilogue story.

Speaking of Avenging how will the second part be traded? Issue 6 is part of a crossover, 7 a one-shot, 8 and epilogue to EotE, 9 and 10 an unofficial Captain Marvel tie-in, and 11 a 50th anniversary special.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So I got my shipment of comics for the last two months or so.
    The issue of avenging spiderman i think when him and cap decide to geek out together. Why is he walking around avengers mansion without his mask on? Is this yet another universe? I know he outted himself to the FF, but far as i know, nobody else knows who he is.

Next, Can someone explain to me just how Johnny storm came back from the dead? One min hes dead in the negative zone then all hell breaks loose with the 'my herald' stuff, and hey there he is and nobody is surprised at all to see him.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

It has to be.

Downey has a few more movies on his Iron Man contract. If I am remembering right, his was a 6 movie deal, so he has Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 guaranteed, and then either Iron Man 4 or Avengers 3 before he needs a new deal.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I got my shipment of comics for the last two months or so.
    The issue of avenging spiderman i think when him and cap decide to geek out together. Why is he walking around avengers mansion without his mask on? Is this yet another universe? I know he outted himself to the FF, but far as i know, nobody else knows who he is.

Next, Can someone explain to me just how Johnny storm came back from the dead? One min hes dead in the negative zone then all hell breaks loose with the 'my herald' stuff, and hey there he is and nobody is surprised at all to see him.

Spidey
    Unmasked for the New Avengers shortly after the OMD thing, he unmasked cause everyone was pulling a " We don't know YOU!" thing.

Johnny
    Spent a year in the Negative Zone being resurrected daily to fight in gladitorial combat to the death. He and some other gladiators overthrew the zone, gained the Cosmic control rod, and came back with Annihilus as a pet with cosmic level powers ( Was mostly contained to Hickman's F4/FF run, and is super badass) I hope johnny gets to join Cosmic for a bit before they depower him.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a big scene where Steve and Victoria Hand wouldn't give him a government paycheck like the rest of the New Avengers because he wouldn't reveal his identity?

He wouldn't reveal it to her because she was Norman Osborn's 2nd in command like a week before that.

He revealed it to most of the Avengers because he trusts them. The only major ones who don't know are Iron Man and Thor at this point, I think. Oh and Red Hulk. But none of them would really care outside of Tony.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Oh man, Peter and MJ getting back together? where do I start reading?

That's right, this is the most interested I've been in spider-man comics in years.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    He wouldn't reveal it to her because she was Norman Osborn's 2nd in command like a week before that.

He revealed it to most of the Avengers because he trusts them. The only major ones who don't know are Iron Man and Thor at this point, I think. Oh and Red Hulk. But none of them would really care outside of Tony.

Didn't Deodato draw him with the mask off in Avengers Mansion during the HAMMER War?

huntresssig.jpg
    Dunno, and I am too lazy to go grab those issues.

All I know is that Iron Man definitely doesn't know and Peter doesn't want him to.

CYpGAPn.png