As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LOOK AT MY [Comics Art Appreciation Thread]! – NSF56K

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Anti's distate, explained:
    TRANSFORM and Roll out!

Posted on 02/11/2012

Hey, it’s been almost a year since i worked on the Transformers: Heart of Darkness series, and i’ve never really shown what i did for that series. It was good fun working on the transformers, and i guess i haven’t shown to much of it because 1. the fans seemed to hate it

Seriously though, I think his figures can look a little weird sometimes, but I love his ability to do these big compositions, with a ton of characters, and super-detailed backgrounds.

As for Villalobos, my only problem with his work, is the coloring on some of the pieces. I think his linework and general aesthetic vis-à-vis anatomy, composition, backgrounds, etc. is generally quite good. Plus, he does cool homages.

1ttei.jpg

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

When he was announced to be on the book, I actually decided to do some digging and check his stuff out because I don't dismiss things out of hand. I wasn't a fan of his stuff then, I wasn't a fan of the stuff in that book, and I haven't seen any of his art that particularly impressed me since.

I'mma gonna post some of my favorite covers from Y: The Last Man now
    y-the-last-man-cover1.jpg
    by Massimo Carnevale
    Y_the_Last_Man_42.jpg
    by Massimo Carnevale

Y_the_Last_Man_16.jpg
    by JG Jones

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Going to do this post about a colorist, Dean White who is one my favorite colorists in comics right now (by extension this is also a post about Opena/Ribic). His coloring work on Uncanny X-Force / Ultimates makes the great pictures become great art.

eDvVE.jpg
    JwPGw.jpg

PnqqR.jpg
    mB3kd.jpg

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man, that colouring is boss

also the art

love me some Opena

and Ribic too, of course

but Opena is so damn good

i love Josh Burcham's colors
    KidNotorious_Galactus_by_dcjosh.jpg
    http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/gallery/423453?offset=24#/d1ldlnt

i really liked this recoloring of Batman 674's cover that he did
    Batman_674_practice_colors_by_dcjosh.jpg
    http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/gallery/423453?offset=0#/d28q7kx

okay, i don't feel comfortable posting this image because of how fucking enormous it is

but this image that Josh Burcham made, showing how he colored a page from LSOTW, is awesome.
    http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d3i36tg

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    A military friend of mine was recently asked by Michael Komarck what guns the Punisher would carry to fight the Hulk, for an upcoming Marvel cover he is doing. Here's the end result:

hulk-cov-8.jpg

There is some more awesome art at Komarck's site, but this is the first comic thing I've seen him do.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    He's also the cover artist for Ultimates as of issue 13
    ULTMTS2011013_COV.jpg
    ULTMTS2011014_COV.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    edited May 2012
    So, Ramon Villalobos followed me on Twitter, and tweeted @Blankzilla's criticism of his art, at me.

Which feels kind of ominous.

Anyhow, I have some thoughts on Tom Fowler. Here's the thing that interests me, about his work. A few years ago, when Mysterius the Unfathomable came out, I saw that Jeff Parker was writing it, and Fowler was drawing it. And I hated the very idea. One of my favorite writers, paired with the artist that ruined Green Arrow, for me? The idea rankled.

I mean, I'm not sure if anyone read his Green Arrow, but it wasn't great. And coming in after Phil Hester, who'd really defined the look of the book, only made him look worse. Everyone had weird, spindly bodies, severe cheekbones that made them look like old women (even the men), and facial expressions that never seemed to match the text.

ThZlL.jpg

Tom Fowler wrote:
    I've been doing comics for about a decade now. I did a lot of bad books. And then I did some okay books. And then I did some really bad books. And then I quit and then I went to work for advertising and Mad Magazine, and Hasbro, and different places. And then I was lured back to comics by Mysterius.

But, in the time between doing Green Arrow, and doing Mysterius, I wasn't aware that Fowler had been using art steroids. He came back with a style that's wonderfully exaggerated, and infuses all his characters with a real sense of weight, and life. And in addition to doing great comic pages, he also does paintings, which are amazing.

wbmcY.jpg

NGFry.jpg
    2G7wl.jpg

WRHiT.jpg

o7U91.jpg

k6hXH.jpg

Mq7lq.jpg

The interesting thing is that now, looking at his older stuff, I can see shades of his new stuff in it. There's the same expressive faces and body language, but it feels less refined; maybe he had an inker that didn't match his style well, maybe he was on a tight deadline, or maybe he just had to hone his skills a bit, with all that work in Mad Magazine, and advertising. Either way, I think it's amazing to see an artist whose work I once despised, become one of my favorites currently working in the industry.

Recommended Work:

Mysterius the Unfathomable

Venom Vol. 1

Munch on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wow, that's a huge leap in quality. Cause that Robin is AWFUL.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    that is really amazing, munch

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    "Mysterius" had some really great art.

I really love these cover mock-ups, by designer Dylan Todd. But, I enjoy that minimalist, Criterion Collection aesthetic.

EQeoS.jpg

c3Dvl.jpg

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gah what

I

I feel like I am being watched now

help

CYpGAPn.png
    Sorry artist dude

I don't think you are a bad artist

your style just doesn't appeal to my personal tastes

I feel like I am talking to myself

help me

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Tom Fowler is amazing now.

This is him with the Comic Twart panel sketch he did of Black Widow in about an hour last year at Heroes Con. I own this one and Declan Shalvey's. Fowler is also a giant, BTW.

w8ki0m.jpg

This is his inked Kirbygasm piece.

30c8t3b.jpg

And this is a colored Rocket Raccoon he did.

9puhjk.jpg

Tom Fowler is an art monster

I will buy just about any book that guy does work on

CYpGAPn.png
    Which makes it an even bigger shame how Marvel keeps bouncing him around books.

I'm pretty pumped for that Hulk: Season One thing Fowler's drawing. He draws big, strong guys like nobody's business.

Also, that Kirby piece is by Dan McDaid. Unless Fowler inked it, maybe. We can and should talk about McDaid too though, because damn.

Noxi3.jpg

yesssss love that omac

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Going to do this post about a colorist, Dean White who is one my favorite colorists in comics right now (by extension this is also a post about Opena/Ribic). His coloring work on Uncanny X-Force / Ultimates makes the great pictures become great art.
    eDvVE.jpg
    JwPGw.jpg

PnqqR.jpg
    mB3kd.jpg

I picked up X-Force purely on the strength of the artwork.

Hm. I think he inked it. That makes more sense of the file name.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Scott C.'s latest in Great Showdowns

tumblr_m4l7f8jDgZ1qay9wgo1_1280.jpg
    http://greatshowdowns.com/

Centipede Damascus on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular

can someone tell me what this is it looks cool and i don't do much comicking

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That would be from the current Uncanny X-Force series. It is very good.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That would be from the current Uncanny X-Force series. It is very good.

The Dark Angel Saga (or whatever it's called) recently became available on comixology. Well worth picking up, it only lasts about three or four books though (wish it had been longer).

X-Force has actually created a few cool events and characters which are now being used in AvX and Wolverine and the X-men (probably in other books as well I just haven't noticed).

Caveman Paws on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Dark Angel saga is two books, but I recommend starting with The Apocalypse Solution

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    thanks guys!

Krypto v.s. Bizarro Krypto, by Tony Moore.

LxGfC.jpg

It's strange, but I don't know that I've ever seen a Bizarro Krypto. The closest thing I can think of, is the DCAU's alien Krypto. Apparently there was one during the Silver Age, but I don't recall him making an appearance in any modern Bizarro stories.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    man I love bizarro krypto

Bizarro_Krypto_Earth-One_001.jpg

13587_20090323061428_char.jpg

he is created for no reason whatsoever other than to have a bizarro krypto

seriously, superboy and krypto crash through a roof and whoops duplicator ray right there

no, we're not gonna explain why this is happening

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    Here's my question: Does Bizarro Krypto say, "Krab!" or, "Meow!"

he just talks

BW11.jpg

7656367.jpg
    Krypto has an internal monologue stutter?

the silver age, ladies and gentlemen

god I love silver age bizarro

he was just a dumb old jerk

7656367.jpg
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I quite like Stewart McKennys stuff:

pinups1_03.jpg

pinups3_03.jpg

pinups14_03.jpg

pinups17_03.jpg

pinups18_03.jpg

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Oooh, I like that. Nice and colorful.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Those first two images are very Top Cow and awful, but the later images are better, maybe because he isn't attempting to draw the female form.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I have to agree, that Themyscira image had me laughing out loud. Not because it was really that bad, just seeing the Amazons in thoroughly modern toga dresses makes me giggle.

huntresssig.jpg