As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Fitness Group [Meet up on Sunday at 1]

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I wanna see the group average hit 8.5 by next Monday. We can do it! Let's do this! Surrender is not an option!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I wanna see the group average hit 8.5 by next Monday. We can do it! Let's do this! Surrender is not an option!

Gah! Okay! I'm gonna try and run two miles today. If I don't post anything for the next few days, tell my mother that I love her...

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    Allright Payne - how about you create a group challenge on the site as well? I'll definitely be leveling up once or twice this week, so I'll drag down the group a bit less.

Allright Payne - how about you create a group challenge on the site as well? I'll definitely be leveling up once or twice this week, so I'll drag down the group a bit less.

I'll be honest, the group challenges are a bit lacking, it's mostly who gets the most points but I'll take a look at everyone's work out and see what would be fun for everyone.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

I'll be honest, the group challenges are a bit lacking, it's mostly who gets the most points but I'll take a look at everyone's work out and see what would be fun for everyone.

I was disappointed in them too. I have another group I started and most of them were beginners. I had hope to use the challenges to help them learn some different workouts.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    There's a free for all challenge to see who can get the most points. There will be 5 winners make sure you sign up BEFORE this Sunday.

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Aw man.. I wanna enter the challenge but I'm still not supposed to be doing anything :( Stupid foot..

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    Aw man.. I wanna enter the challenge but I'm still not supposed to be doing anything :( Stupid foot..

Can you do crunches? Barbell curls? Bench press? One legged jump roping?

vgc wrote: »

Can you do crunches? Barbell curls? Bench press? One legged jump roping?

I guess I could put in the non-running stuff I do.. Just feels like cheating on my runs :(

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
  • afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    Myself and two of the buddies I am coming with are starting at a local Crossfit (yey Cultfit!) gym on June 12th. I joined and will try to get them in as well. We are just doing light workouts now until we start at the gym.

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • nitrousdavenitrousdave Registered User regular
    Joined the group. I'm using Fitocracy to track my progress for Run for your lives, zombie 5k in Oct. :)

Prime 2013 Status: [✓] 4-Day Passes [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Buttons [✓] Survived
    Prime 2014 Status: [✓] 4-Day Passes [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Tri-wizard Tickets

Attendee: Prime 2012, Prime 2013 (Future)
  • ArcturasBArcturasB Registered User new member
    Just joined the group. I get my fitness on by riding my bike. I have a lot of weight to lose, and it's easier on my joints the running. I do about an hour a night 4 nights a week, going about 11-12 miles and 1.5 to 2 hours on the weekends. Just joined Fitocracy as well as Arcturasb.

There's a free for all challenge to see who can get the most points. There will be 5 winners make sure you sign up BEFORE this Sunday.

For a little motivation, do you think there should be a prize(s) for the winner(s)? I was thinking all participants can put in a dollar and the winners split the pot. It'll be low enough that (hopefully) no one will cheat. Or I can look around my apartment for something I don't want anymore and make it a white elephant prize. Is that even a thing?

vgc wrote: »

For a little motivation, do you think there should be a prize(s) for the winner(s)? I was thinking all participants can put in a dollar and the winners split the pot. It'll be low enough that (hopefully) no one will cheat. Or I can look around my apartment for something I don't want anymore and make it a white elephant prize. Is that even a thing?

The East group did something like this and gave out a challenge coin. Might be a cool thing to do again?

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hmmm.... been slacking a bit this week, perhaps some friendly competition will get me back on track. Should still hit 8.5 before Monday(hopefully tonight) though, so I guess I'm safe from the wrath of PayneTrayne at the very least.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    Challenge coin for the winner wouldn't be too bad. (Although I don't have one/extra)

What if we were all to pitch in and the winner gets a Penny Arcade shirt their dream size?

What if we were all to pitch in and the winner gets a Penny Arcade shirt their dream size?

+1

edited May 2012
    http://s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u517/Paehne/?action=view&current=Yup010.jpg

With my old work shorts. They're a 46 (my biggest was 50 but I can't find them), I'm now a 40.

PayneTrayne on
    Talked to HR today, I'M GOING TO PAX!

• afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular

With my old work shorts. They're a 46 (my biggest was 50 but I can't find them), I'm now a 40.

Amazing man, that is some kind of dedication.

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
    afeil117 wrote: »

Amazing man, that is some kind of dedication.

About 8 months of working out, only another lifetime to go. :P

• HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm back after taking an extended Memorial Day trip... back to it!

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Taking the rest of the week off due to overtraining, just teaching my classes until sunday-mondayish. Sad week :(

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    Ravenger wrote: »
    Taking the rest of the week off due to overtraining, just teaching my classes until sunday-mondayish. Sad week :(

I know how you feel. I haven't been to the gym in nearly 8 days now. :( I got a 21 day "fat blasting" workout class on livingsocial a couple of months ago. I should sign up for it to get back in the game.

I've got my half marathon this Sunday and I haven't run in weeks. Did a short jog around the neighborhood today and my foot's feeling weird.. I'm thinking my race is going to be a run/walk kinda thing... BUT! I'm determined to finish!

I've got my half marathon this Sunday and I haven't run in weeks. Did a short jog around the neighborhood today and my foot's feeling weird.. I'm thinking my race is going to be a run/walk kinda thing... BUT! I'm determined to finish!

That's still more than most people could do!

• 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    Just joined (under TheFairlaner). Late. Old. But last PAX damn near killed me. I'm in.

• damikdamik Registered User new member
    Just joined. I've been doing C25K. I'm on week 7 but I've kind of stalled out. I can't get the long run done. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm getting discouraged.

I've made it my goal to work out 6 out of 7 days/week.

I look forward to future challenges from the group.

I wanted to "Like" this post but then I remembered that this is not facebook.

damik wrote: »
    Just joined. I've been doing C25K. I'm on week 7 but I've kind of stalled out. I can't get the long run done. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm getting discouraged.

Are you running for distance or time?

I'm running my first half marathon this weekend and I was definitely a couch potato in January. I couldn't run a mile to save my life when I started. My secret? Audio books. Seriously. I found a series I'm really into it and made it a rule that I couldn't listen to it unless I was running. Definitely got me motivated to keep going. Sometimes I would sketch my runs further just so I could finish a chapter! The Artemis Fowl series is what's keeping me going right now, but before that was Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.

Another thing that I learned while training - if you have to slow down to a jog slower than walking, that's okay! Just keep the running motion up! You'll catch your breath and get a chance for your muscles to recoup and then it's easier to build back up to a normal pace than if you were walking. If you're just running for distance, don't worry about getting a good time. Just focus on finishing and keeping up running/jogging the whole time.

I'll be completely honest. When I hit the bench press today, it wasn't for me, I was FIENDING for the points.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Well, you certainly got points! I'm leaving Sunday for a week-long business trip. I've been promised the place I'm staying has an extremely nice fitness facility, but I'm still crossing my fingers that they have free weights. If not, I'll be logging a LOT of walking and planks if I have any hope of keeping up with you guys.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Waha, got joined up just now. Started working out again yesterday for the first time since I fucked my ankle up last PAX Prime. I'm kinda surprised that I'm not in as terrible shape as I thought I was, so that's nice to know.

I need to get some legit free weights onto the ship I work on though, they have got absolutely fuckall for workout stuff save for a cycle and a treadmill. Oh well, running isn't exactly a bad thing to do daily in the meantime!

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited June 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Waha, got joined up just now. Started working out again yesterday for the first time since I fucked my ankle up last PAX Prime. I'm kinda surprised that I'm not in as terrible shape as I thought I was, so that's nice to know.

I need to get some legit free weights onto the ship I work on though, they have got absolutely fuckall for workout stuff save for a cycle and a treadmill. Oh well, running isn't exactly a bad thing to do daily in the meantime!
    Welcome to the group! And just do what you can do, it's better than people doing nothing at all.

On a side note, did bodyweight squat today, going for 1.5x tomorrow. Prepare to be blown away! (Except for GoneCross, I sense he can step to my squats).

EDIT: Tomorrow being next legs day..

PayneTrayne on
  • damikdamik Registered User new member

I was running for time, but I just switched to running for distance. I think the change will help me.

I was running for time, but I just switched to running for distance. I think the change will help me.

Well, best of luck with it! I know when I was doing it I had to lower my running speed for anything over ten minutes.

33 people signed up for the challenge and there's only 24 people on the board. C'mon! Don't dump all your points last minute, keep up to date!

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Talked to HR today, I'M GOING TO PAX!

Hey, that's awesome!!!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

This discussion has been closed.