As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Graphic Violence
So, after a brief question about the series that got answered in three posts, it seems a shame to let the thread go useless and die. So I present...

The Ultimate Spider-Man Thread!

Except I won't be able to read it, because I haven't finished reading it yet.

Thwip!

Bob The Monkey on

• MartmanMartman Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I was wondering about that too... my only guesses were that it was something that happened in the video game (which would be weird) or that Bendis decided to just skip that part and vaguely refer to it in flashbacks (which would be dumb).

Martman on
    TheFishF wrote:
    dude you going to answer my question or just say words that make no sence :?
    My Mario Kart DS Friend Code: 051-600-286-877
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    There were multiple allusions in early issues to a creature in the sewers, which I assume is the very same Lizardman mentioned now. I mean, Peter's perfectly happy unmasking infront of him, and that only happens with fairly significant characters.

What the hell, guys?

Bob The Monkey on
  • TedFFZTedFFZ Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This is what you get for not reading Ultimate Marvel Team-Up (which was the only Ultimate book cancelled prematurely).

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10, involved Spidey and Man-Thing chasing the Lizard through sewers.

Rock on!

-TFFZ

TedFFZ on
    "Had I not had my family, I probably would have turned into something psychopathic and asocial." - Johnny Rotten
  • TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited August 2006
    Can this be an Ultimate FF thread as well? I just discovered the thing (pun intended) a few weeks ago through the trades, and i'm afraid the ongoing is going to get cancelled due to low sales. A recent sales chart put it at about 1500 copies sold for the month :?

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Can this be an Ultimate FF thread as well? I just discovered the thing (pun intended) a few weeks ago through the trades, and i'm afraid the ongoing is going to get cancelled due to low sales. A recent sales chart put it at about 1500 copies sold for the month :?
    We have one:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214152

deadonthestreet on
  • KirbyMorphKirbyMorph Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Can this be an Ultimate FF thread as well? I just discovered the thing (pun intended) a few weeks ago through the trades, and i'm afraid the ongoing is going to get cancelled due to low sales. A recent sales chart put it at about 1500 copies sold for the month

Are you talking about Ultimate Fantastic Four? The same one that sells about 70,000 copies a month or more? The one that has sold out a few times and had to get reprints? Or are you referring to some other Ultimate FF that sells 1500? Maybe the trades only? The individual issues sell more then enough.

KirbyMorph on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Good riddance. Had a fucking fantastic (tee hee) start but I can't stand the current bland story telling and emotionless/traced art.

I could only see this book surviving if it gets an entirely new creative team.

edit: dammit I knew it was too good to be true.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Good riddance. Had a fucking fantastic (tee hee) start but I can't stand the current bland story telling and emotionless/traced art.

I could only see this book surviving if it gets an entirely new creative team.

edit: dammit I knew it was too good to be true.

Actually, I feel exactly the other way. The first couple arcs were so bland, but once Millar and land got on, it took off (in my opinion). The art is a bit static, but so evocative I think it really suits the tone of the book.

There's a new creative team coming on after this arc that seem to have some interesting ideas too, so we'll see how things go from here.

werehippy on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So, what I'm hearing here is that UFF gets better as it goes on?

I read the first trade, and other than some of the early scenes with Reed (I especially liked Baby Reed 'discovering' hair) I found it pretty mediocre. I guess I could give it a chance?

I've read a few of the Ultimate Spider-Man trades, and I enjoyed it to a reasonable amount. I need to get some more but I'm too damn cheap.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I stopped reading Ultimate Spider-Man after the Carnage arc.

Gof, that was so retarded.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited August 2006
    Any word on a new artist for USM? I'm interested in the book, but not in Bagley's art. I think I negatively associate him with his run on Amazing Spider-Man, which was so bad that I got out of comics for years.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Any word on a new artist for USM? I'm interested in the book, but not in Bagley's art. I think I negatively associate him with his run on Amazing Spider-Man, which was so bad that I got out of comics for years.

what? Mark Bagley is awesome! His art wasn't awesome in Amazing, but it was serviceable. He's much better now, though.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

what? Mark Bagley is awesome! His art wasn't awesome in Amazing, but it was serviceable. He's much better now, though.

Ya he is alot better then he was back then, the only problem I have with his USM stuff is the ugly baggy clothes he draws on Peter recently.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Riqa wrote:

Ya he is alot better then he was back then, the only problem I have with his USM stuff is the ugly baggy clothes he draws on Peter recently.

Pete doen't want to show off his sexy spider-muscles.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • SkwirlSkwirl Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The first trade was okay, I like Bendis, but certain things he does get on my nerves, and I think a lot of those were happening in UFF. But Ellis' arc was outstanding. N-Zone is one of my favorite comic stories from this decade they should have called themselves The Very Fantastic Four.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up was great, I think Bendis is a lot better at doing short arcs than long ones. Mostly because the long arcs have about the same amount of story, he just stretches it two or three extra issues.

I was looking through my trades for examples and realized #4 of USM collects issues 22-26 and #5 collects issues 28-32, what happens in issue 27?

Skwirl on
    edited August 2006
    Are you sure that it doesnt have 27 (I have the Ultimate Hardcover thing from Barnes and Nobles with like 36 issues or somethign in it)? 27 is Illegal, the end of the Green Goblin saga arc. 26 ends with Osborn holding peter by the neck and Harry walking in. 27 starts with Harry stabbing his dad in the back with a pipe or something. Might just be a misprint of the numbers listed and its actually in there, but I cant honestly tell you. It should be there though.

KirbyMorph on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Man I loved Ultimate Spider-man when it first started. I think I read up to like issue 30 or something, then I just stopped buying comic books. Maybe I should jump back in.

Kyougu on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Kyougu wrote:
    Man I loved Ultimate Spider-man when it first started. I think I read up to like issue 30 or something, then I just stopped buying comic books. Maybe I should jump back in.
    Maybe you should give me those 30 you have. You see, I am missing the first 31. I would give you homp.

projectmayhem on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Isn't the first issue worth like $100? Sell that bitch and buy all the trades up until now.

robosagogo on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Isn't the first issue worth like $100? Sell that bitch and buy all the trades up until now.
    150ish now.

projectmayhem on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Never really been a fan of USM. He just didn't seem... different enough from the standard comics. All of the other Ultimates titles had something that made them different from their 616 counterparts, but Spider-man? He even had the same costume.

It just wasn't enough to get me interested.

Tach on
    edited August 2006
    KirbyMorph wrote:
    Are you sure that it doesnt have 27 (I have the Ultimate Hardcover thing from Barnes and Nobles with like 36 issues or somethign in it)? 27 is Illegal, the end of the Green Goblin saga arc. 26 ends with Osborn holding peter by the neck and Harry walking in. 27 starts with Harry stabbing his dad in the back with a pipe or something. Might just be a misprint of the numbers listed and its actually in there, but I cant honestly tell you. It should be there though.

It must have been a misprint on the back of the book then, because that definately happens in the trade. Which just further proves my point about Bendis dragging things out, that whole arc should have been maybe four issues instead of six. But we are talking about a book that took four issues to do the origin when Stan Lee did it in one. I suppose it's probably how he copes with the fact that he writes half the comics Marvel publishes.

In regards ot it not being different enough from 616, I think the point was a re-imagining like the Ultimates, or to a lesser extent Ultimate X-Men, were. But rather to take Spider-man back to his origin of being this highschool boy who has all these fantastic powers. 616 Peter Parker hasn't been a teenager since the late 60's early 70's. Whereas Ultimate Peter Parker has been fifteen for the entire run so far.

Skwirl on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Tach wrote:
    Never really been a fan of USM. He just didn't seem... different enough from the standard comics. All of the other Ultimates titles had something that made them different from their 616 counterparts, but Spider-man? He even had the same costume.

For some reason, I really love the way they hooked up Spider-man and Shadowcat. I mean, it makes perfect sense, you have a guy who worries all the time about getting his family in danger, so why not date another super-hero?

Speaking of, I figured at first the Spider-Woman was Shadowcat in a new costume, trying to get closer to Pete or something, but I dunno how she would've mimicked the powers.

Scooter on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Tach wrote:

For some reason, I really love the way they hooked up Spider-man and Shadowcat. I mean, it makes perfect sense, you have a guy who worries all the time about getting his family in danger, so why not date another super-hero?

Speaking of, I figured at first the Spider-Woman was Shadowcat in a new costume, trying to get closer to Pete or something, but I dunno how she would've mimicked the powers.

Sticking to walls makes total sense with her phasing powers(just stay phased into them by like a half centimeter with her hands and feet), but yeah, super-strength...

Mai-Kero on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Completely agree with the Kitty and Peter hookup. Ultimate Shadowcat is much cooler than MJ, imo, and the way they got together was cool. Too bad they're going to breakup (it's painfully obvious at this point).

As for "who is spider-girl", a friend and I have narrowed it down to [spoiler:c6b52a127d]a clone of MJ or the Gwen clone. Odds are on cloned MJ, mostly because Spider-girl was at the warehouse, she has about the same hair color, and because of the way she was talking to Peter.[/spoiler:c6b52a127d] I'm not really sure why everyone thought the issue was confusing. To me, there wasn't much to get confused over, since not that much of significance was revealed. It mostly seemed like a bunch of "holy shit wtf" moments.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    wwtMask wrote:
    Completely agree with the Kitty and Peter hookup. Ultimate Shadowcat is much cooler than MJ, imo, and the way they got together was cool. Too bad they're going to breakup (it's painfully obvious at this point).

As for "who is spider-girl", a friend and I have narrowed it down to [spoiler:dd6fed0628]a clone of MJ or the Gwen clone. Odds are on cloned MJ, mostly because Spider-girl was at the warehouse, she has about the same hair color, and because of the way she was talking to Peter.[/spoiler:dd6fed0628] I'm not really sure why everyone thought the issue was confusing. To me, there wasn't much to get confused over, since not that much of significance was revealed. It mostly seemed like a bunch of "holy shit wtf" moments.

[spoiler:dd6fed0628]Actually, I pegged the spiderwoman as a female clone of Peter. She denied being MJ, the warehosue was important to her (it's where Uncle Ben's killer hid, if I remember), and just the way she talked had a very Spiderman-y vibe. The whole "we didn't deserve this" thing seems to lean that way too.

I'd say the warehouse being important to spiderwoman at least rules out Gwen, though it does still leave the MJ option open.

As a random aside, my money is on the clone-Peter trying to give MJ his abilities. Since they care for each other, but she's unable to keep up with him without powers, give her some. Then he doesn't have to protect her, she can protect herself.

It has the nice spin of being a drastic departure from 616 continuity while still keeping internally logical. It also opens up some interesting story ideas (comics could use a realisitic super powered couple) and gets rid of the complaints people have about the 616 Peter/MJ relationship (that being together doesn't add any new story options).

It's really out there, but it'd be a hell of a read.[/spoiler:dd6fed0628]

werehippy on
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:

As for "who is spider-girl", a friend and I have narrowed it down to [spoiler:29aecd2e22]a clone of MJ or the Gwen clone. Odds are on cloned MJ, mostly because Spider-girl was at the warehouse, she has about the same hair color, and because of the way she was talking to Peter.[/spoiler:29aecd2e22] I'm not really sure why everyone thought the issue was confusing. To me, there wasn't much to get confused over, since not that much of significance was revealed. It mostly seemed like a bunch of "holy shit wtf" moments.

[spoiler:29aecd2e22]Actually, I pegged the spiderwoman as a female clone of Peter. She denied being MJ, the warehosue was important to her (it's where Uncle Ben's killer hid, if I remember), and just the way she talked had a very Spiderman-y vibe. The whole "we didn't deserve this" thing seems to lean that way too.

I'd say the warehouse being important to spiderwoman at least rules out Gwen, though it does still leave the MJ option open.

As a random aside, my money is on the clone-Peter trying to give MJ his abilities. Since they care for each other, but she's unable to keep up with him without powers, give her some. Then he doesn't have to protect her, she can protect herself.

It has the nice spin of being a drastic departure from 616 continuity while still keeping internally logical. It also opens up some interesting story ideas (comics could use a realisitic super powered couple) and gets rid of the complaints people have about the 616 Peter/MJ relationship (that being together doesn't add any new story options).

It's really out there, but it'd be a hell of a read.[/spoiler:29aecd2e22]

I pretty much had the same theory. A lot of people do. It'd be surprising if they didn't go that way.

Bob The Monkey on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2006
    The second annual came out today.

Holy shit, that was cool.

DJ Eebs on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I liked it quite a bit

So...who makes your costumes?

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:

As for "who is spider-girl", a friend and I have narrowed it down to [spoiler:7b29412758]a clone of MJ or the Gwen clone. Odds are on cloned MJ, mostly because Spider-girl was at the warehouse, she has about the same hair color, and because of the way she was talking to Peter.[/spoiler:7b29412758] I'm not really sure why everyone thought the issue was confusing. To me, there wasn't much to get confused over, since not that much of significance was revealed. It mostly seemed like a bunch of "holy shit wtf" moments.

[spoiler:7b29412758]Actually, I pegged the spiderwoman as a female clone of Peter. She denied being MJ, the warehosue was important to her (it's where Uncle Ben's killer hid, if I remember), and just the way she talked had a very Spiderman-y vibe. The whole "we didn't deserve this" thing seems to lean that way too.

It's really out there, but it'd be a hell of a read.[/spoiler:7b29412758]

I pretty much had the same theory. A lot of people do. It'd be surprising if they didn't go that way.

[spoiler:7b29412758] I agree with the female clone theory because as near as I can tell she has brown hair, like Peter, and not red or blonde like MJ and Gwen. As for the other clones plans for MJ, I just read it has the clone being insane and keeping MJ safe in a cage where he always knows where she'll be. [/spoiler:7b29412758]

Skwirl on
    edited August 2006
    Geebs wrote:

Oh shits, I need to get this.

The first Annual is one of my favorite comics ever.

"Oh good...The army is here...for me to save."

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2006
    Hair colour is not decided on conception. A clone could very well have different colour hair (genetics permitting) and has been proven in actual cloning.

While I agree with the female peter (as the cloned embryo could "easily" be fertilized with an X chromosone to make it female), the hair would not be a dead give away. That could easily be Gwen as she could end up with brown hair instead of blonde if she was cloned.

KirbyMorph on
    edited August 2006
    While it might be true that clones don't have to have the same hair color in real life, I'm willing to bet that they will. Keep in mind, these aren't very similar to the clones we have in the real world, where all you end up with is an embriyo that still needs to gestate in a womb, and then grow up all on it's own. These are clones that have the appearence of a being fifteen years old that have only been around a few months at the most.

Skwirl on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I am gonna be so mad if peter and shadowcat's relationship gets nixed.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    *Gasp!* Comic books don't reflect true science? MY WHOLE LIFE IS A LIE!

*Ehem* And I add my vote to the "Female clone of Peter" camp. :)

Caveman Paws on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2006
    Maybe Gwen's not a natural blonde!

gasp

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2006
    I am gonna be so mad if peter and shadowcat's relationship gets nixed.
    She's being a total bitch.

Pete: "I talked to MJ."
    Kitty: "OMG my life is over!"

deadonthestreet on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Geebs wrote:

So, so awesome.

Oh, and color me intrigued by "a bunch of us."

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    What I wanna know is do I have to wait a whole year to see DD Spidey and Moon Knight go slap Fisk around, or is this going to be coming up after the Clone Saga?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    150ish now.
    Really? Wow. I'm pretty sure I have two or three of those around. One mine, one my brothers, and I think we even got that white cover.

Kyougu on