As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• Options
    Panda PartyPanda Party I got jimmies. Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    This is my second year going to PAX, and my first year actually putting any effort into cosplaying! So I'm excited, hahaha. I'm planning on going as Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim. My only concern about my costume and the weapon rules is that I'm going to have a giant hammer that's pretty much as big as me... but I'm going to make it super light so that I can carry it around easily. That shouldn't be a problem, should it? It's not going to be pointy and it won't be able to bludgeon anyone at all, haha.

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    That shouldn't be a problem at all. And I'm excited to see your cosplay! Ramona is a pretty awesome charie.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So @Saldek is definitely doing Parasoul which means I'm definitely gonna be doing one of her soldiers. It should be an easy costume to put together and while I'm a little bummed I just don't have the time to work on my upgraded Megaman stuff, at least I'll have something cool for this year.
    parasoul_by_robotnicc-d3aeh0x.jpg

Fuckyea

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So @Saldek is definitely doing Parasoul which means I'm definitely gonna be doing one of her soldiers. It should be an easy costume to put together and while I'm a little bummed I just don't have the time to work on my upgraded Megaman stuff, at least I'll have something cool for this year.
    parasoul_by_robotnicc-d3aeh0x.jpg

Fuckyea

A costumer's note about gas masks:

I was told by an old costume designer for stage that there is an iron clad rule of gas masks: never wear an old military gas mask that you buy 'loose.' Some older gas masks were also made with dangerous chemicals {including asbestos), so they can be dangerous even if unused. If buying a gas mask to be worn, make sure it is a replica or a recent model of clearly traceable origin in a sealed package, otherwise it could be dangerous to breathe through.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Duly noted.

Any gas mask I get is going to be internally modified. I plan on installing fans inside to ensure I don't die during PAX. I've done enough firefighting training to know what happens if you walk around with a sealed mask on while doing even light physical things. >.>

EDIT: Hrmm, it appears I'm gonna have to Frankenstein a couple masks together. Thankfully gasmasks are cheap so I can afford to fuck up a few of em. I know I've seen the hats around somewhere irl, I just can't remember wtf they're called or from what era.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    So ultra n00b question. The claws for x-23, I don't want to get kicked out of the even because of em. If they weren't made out of metal but still pretty sturdy and shiny, are they still ok? I have seen the heavyset metal ones that I do want to wear but I feel like I'd get the boot because of em.

• Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    LinkSmash wrote: »
    So ultra n00b question. The claws for x-23, I don't want to get kicked out of the even because of em. If they weren't made out of metal but still pretty sturdy and shiny, are they still ok? I have seen the heavyset metal ones that I do want to wear but I feel like I'd get the boot because of em.

I did an Assassin's Creed cosplay last year and my hidden blades were balsa wood spray painted silver. They looked pretty cool and it did freak a few people out when I unleashed them. I made a point of not brandishing them in front of Enforcers, but I never had any problems wearing them. I can imagine you can do the same thing.

• Options
    vgc wrote: »
    I did an Assassin's Creed cosplay last year and my hidden blades were balsa wood spray painted silver. They looked pretty cool and it did freak a few people out when I unleashed them. I made a point of not brandishing them in front of Enforcers, but I never had any problems wearing them. I can imagine you can do the same thing.

But then my "claws" would be retractable or so...not unless I create it so they do go into my arms haha Hmmm... I'll test out different materials to see how they look. Thank you!

• Options
    Got my harness and pants for Sweet Tooth!
    SweetTooth.jpg

Damn, I look creepy!
    LinkSmash wrote: »
    But then my "claws" would be retractable or so...not unless I create it so they do go into my arms haha Hmmm... I'll test out different materials to see how they look. Thank you!

They don't have to be retractable. I was just suggesting that you make them out of wood and painted silver if you're concerned with having them in the convention center.

• Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    @LinkSmash
    I am a bit confused on your claws, are the ones you currently have and are wondering about real metal? If so then I don't think they will be allowed simply because they seem to fit too much into the "weapon" category (them being sharp, pointy, and hard and all!). If you make them out of any other material then I think they will be fine. Wood with silver paint would be good :) just make sure that you sand them down so that it hides as much of the grain in the wood as possible.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    waterfox17waterfox17 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wow, I'm surprised badges sold out so fast! Managed to nab some one-day passes right before they were gone!

I've been working on a Redeemed Riven cosplay since early September, and even though it's been going slowly around work, I've got some of the major pieces done. Each of the pieces are made out of craft foam, and LOTS AND LOTS of glue! Since these pieces need to be covered in several coats, even a small piece takes hours to make!

Belt-- Complete, but not fitted (Trying to lose a few pounds first!)
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-13at1440.jpg

Boots and Shins-- Going to be refitted and add an ankle piece
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-13at1443.jpg

And while the right gauntlet hasn't been added to the glove yet, it took nearly four weeks to make.

First it looks like this...
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-13at1424.jpg

And then-- tada!
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-13at14242.jpg

Most of the other pieces I've made so far aren't completely fitted yet (I've had a shortage of velcro because it's expensive!) are:

-Both shoulderpieces
    -The thigh covers
    -The knee covers

I'll add some more pictures as I fit them.

I'm currently working on the breastplate, so I thought I'd let you guys have a little look into the process.

So, who wants to see some tutorial shots of the breastplate WIP? I'll be updating these to the front page.

Each piece is a pretty time-consuming process, since there a lot of steps to complete a piece-- but honestly, most of my time is spent waiting for these things to dry. So they may take a few days to complete, even if I only get to work on it for a short time.

Whatever piece I want to do starts off as a rough sketch with measurements, and then is mapped out to size on posterboard. From there, I trace it onto sheets of craft foam with a pencil.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-15at0208.jpg

This is for the front panel of the breastplate. Since each of Riven's pieces of plate metal has a gold border, I have a white foam for the plate, and tan foam for the rim. After cutting my foam designs from how I have transferred them from the posterboard, I use Elmer's school glue to fasten it in place.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-15at0239.jpg

When the glue is dry, it's time to heat-shape the foam. Craft foam is a nice material to use, since the only thing you need to heat it up is a stove, and it holds its shape after it cools. (And if you make a mistake, all you need to do is heat it up again!) To give it the shape, I have to hold it directly to my chest while it is still warm, until it cools.

It is IMPORTANT that if you're going to make craft foam armor of your own, if you have any glue on the topside (or if you have to make any adjustments after you have put coats of glue -a later step- on it, that the side facing the stove is the BARE side. Glue crinkles under intense heat.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-16at0005.jpg

After I have shaped it and am satisfied with the result, I produce the "welded" effect of the curve of the breastplate by applying a thin layer of glue straight from the bottle to the desired area. Sometimes it's easier to outline it with a pencil, but since I was just following it's curve and eyeballing it, I didn't outline it.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/waterfox17/Photoon2012-05-16at0026.jpg

And that's as far as I've gotten on that particular piece. I'll update when I've made more progress!

waterfox17 on
  • Options
    @waterfox17
    Wow! Your pieces are looking great! I wish I had the skill to make sweet armor like yours. I tried, and after spending too much time and money only to have things come out wrong or break, I decided it's better to pay someone else to do it for me.

• Options
    waterfox17waterfox17 Registered User regular
    @vgc

It does get really expensive if you haven't planned out what you're doing first. I found that starting out by measuring and holding it up to myself on posterboard first really saved me a lot of mistakes on the foam, which costs more.

And the nice thing about using craft foam is that when you make a mistake, you can just heat it back up again to fix it. And to keep it from denting or the paint chipping, I use a glue/water (4parts to 1) to seal the foam and make it stronger. Also helps it look shiny!

• Options
    WiiuniteWiiunite Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    I have the time, materials, and skill to make a nice costume, but I am having trouble choosing who to cosplay.

Blood Eagle Pathfinder (Tribes Ascend), Solaire (Dark Souls), or The Pyro (Team Fortress 2)?

Wiiunite on
  • Options
    @LinkSmash
    I am a bit confused on your claws, are the ones you currently have and are wondering about real metal? If so then I don't think they will be allowed simply because they seem to fit too much into the "weapon" category (them being sharp, pointy, and hard and all!). If you make them out of any other material then I think they will be fine. Wood with silver paint would be good :) just make sure that you sand them down so that it hides as much of the grain in the wood as possible.

Ah. Yeah. I wanted to make with metal haha Wood is still ok though? I figured they still may be too hard and that was my concern. I'll probably make a set out of wood, another plastic, and then maybe another with cardboard just to see how each turns out and will be appropriate for the con. They aren't too tough to make.

• Options
    bkrobinbkrobin Roseburg, ORRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if we are allowed to paint our entire face or not?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    bkrobin wrote: »

As long as you aren't painting yourself to look like a giant vagina/penis/penigina/etc. I can't fathom a reason why it wouldn't be allowed.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Facepaint, go for it!

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    There's an Enforcer at PAX East who paints his face with a camo pattern for a day or so each PAX, three years running now. Get a pic with him! ;)

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    bkrobin wrote: »

As long as you aren't painting yourself to look like a giant vagina/penis/penigina/etc. I can't fathom a reason why it wouldn't be allowed.

Reading the answer to this made me laugh really hard....

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Has anyone had any experience with iDye? I'm looking to dye some medium blue jean material a (preferably bright) red color, and was wondering whether I needed to bleach it first to get a true red. Or if bleaching is even something that you do to fabric to lighten/whiten the color....

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    nrvana4nownrvana4now Registered User new member
    You're going to want to lighten the fabric before you dye it a different color, especially if you're looking for it to be bright. If you put the red simply on the blue denim, you're going to come out with a more purple look. But before you start doing the whole project, do a test bit first (with the bleaching process as well as the red color). Good luck! Post some pictures when you're done!

• Options
    RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    I've never dyed clothing before, but as a crazy hair dyeing junkie I can back up what the person above me said about the bleach. If not that, why not just save a step and invest in a pair of white jeans? The red color will come out more consistent that way(when I see dyed fabric, it's often kind of patchy). Just my 2 cents, you could find them cheap online, or in department stores.

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Thanks for the responses guys, I think I will go ahead and bleach them first. And FYI, it's actually a jean vest that took me months to find because I can't sew for shit and wanted it to look as close as possible to what the person I'm cosplaying is wearing. I was actually hoping to find a red one that looked close enough, but everything was either a blue jean vest, a red puff vest, or a red terry vest with a hood.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    Who are you going as?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    I just got my voice changer in today for my gas mask. 'Installed' it and was very happy with the results, and only paid $12 for it. People should definitely be able to hear me now walking around PAX as opposed to just talking through the mask, so excited! XD

• Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Some work in progress pics of my Vivi costume... I still have soooo much to do!
    1e9s7s.jpg

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    Panda PartyPanda Party I got jimmies. Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    AHHH VIVI! It looks AMAZING so far!! Keep up the good work!

• Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So I didn't really do more than a closet cosplay at my friends' behest last year, but this year I've decided to dabble a bit more into it, but I also realize my skill level so I'm planning on doing fairly easy, not very involved ones.
    The plan so far is Flapjack, Blu Scout's Mom, and Miss Pauling (also from TF2); I've got random bits from each costume so far, but the ladies' dresses are proving hard to find ready-made in stores (no one just wears plain clothes any more!) so I've decided to try and sew them myself as a sort of personal sewing challenge. I've got a pattern that should work great for Scout's Mom with a little alteration but nothing for Pauling yet. Flapjack's shirt I plan on just making myself by spraypainting stripes onto a white shirt, so that'll just be a matter of deciding between a more boyish white craft shirt or something more fitted and maybe going for a girlier Flapjack. I would say "sexy" Flapjack as is the convention with all those Halloween costumes but the kid can't be older than 10 so eh...
    I was originally planning on figuring out how to do a prop magnum for Pauling but after reading the weapons policy I figure that's a no-go as it wouldn't be as cartoonish as some of the other TF2 weapons, so I'll probably end up just doing a clipboard for her.
    For Scout's Mom I've picked up an old briefcase I'm hoping to make into an Intel case (complete with compromising pics of "myself" probably) but I was also thinking about giving her a bat. Keeping the weapons policy in mind but also trying to make sure it's not a ridiculously proportioned kiddy bat, any good idea for getting ahold of one of those? I've seen plenty of toy bats in stores but they're all rather short or fat at the end and Scout's bats tend to actually look fairly realistic.

For a Flapjack prop I was thinking of maybe making a Bubbie doll to tote around, but some Googling brought up a cute Bubbie backpack someone made and then the idea struck me; make one and fill it with ~candy~ to give out to people! Of course, that'd mean figuring out how to do that but I still think it'd be fun. So much learning to do if I'm going to get this all done, I don't have any recent sewing experience and the stuff from my past was really basic.

• Options
    Anyone know what kind of paint I should use on fabric? Is Fabric paint a thing? I have a pair of white pants and I want to paint polka dots all over them.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is definitely fabric paint. Here's a general FAQ (ymmv)

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    vgc wrote: »
    Anyone know what kind of paint I should use on fabric? Is Fabric paint a thing? I have a pair of white pants and I want to paint polka dots all over them.

There are many paints that can be used for fabrics and it all works pretty well. A few recommendations;

For dolka dots, get a stencil. Do not try to freehand it. Stencils can be gotten at pretty much any craft store, or you can make one by simply cutting a circle out of a stiff piece of paper or cardstock. If the polka dots are small enough, you can actually make a stencil with a pattern of them using a hole punch.

Puff paint shows mistakes more clearly than any other paint.

Invest in actual stencil brushes if you're using a stencil. These are used by placing the stencil on the fabric, dipping the brush in the pain, and then using an up-and-down dabbing motion to apply the paint. If you are painting something like pants, put some newspaper or cardboard behind the area that you're painting inside the pants, or the paint may bleed through to the other side.

Painting polka dots takes a while. I painted an entire set of pajamas with polka dots for my Coraline costume, and it took 4-6 hours.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    Definitely going as corporate Mundo now from league of legends and my friend is going as Viktor from the same game. was going to do something for Saturday but decided just to cosplay the first day to make life easier. this is shaping up to be an awesome PAX this year i cant wait!

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Was going to go as Ed, Edd and Eddy but our third had to drop off. We'll now be going as Mordecai and Viktor hopefully. http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/exhibit.php?exhibitid=367

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    NiccoloNiccolo Registered User new member
    This will be my first time cosplaying at PAX, but I'm thinking about going as a Demon Hunter from Diablo 3. The costume and armor shouldn't be too much trouble, but I'd like to also bring crossbow pistols to complete the costume. The two options I was looking at were either sculpting them out of foam and painting them, or using/modifying nerf crossbows (I've seen them) to not fire. I'd prefer to sculpt them from foam, but I'm not sure that will be 100% acceptable. Any thoughts or suggestions?

So very excited! Thanks in adavance!

• Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    I would suggest a foam sculpt, less likely to get in trouble also more customizable. Foam is a perfectly fine cosplay prop that will not get you in trouble 98% of the time.

And you are the first Diablo cosplayer I have heard about so far (sorry if i'm wrong!) looking forward to seeing it!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Filia, Peacock or parasoul from Skullgirls.
    I guess I could do Painwheel, that would be very easy if I didn't include a huge wheel.

M'aiq the liar
    from Skyrim maybe? but I am not sure if I want to deal with face paint in the heat, and a robe.

If it doesn't work out, look for a lady walking around in Tetris Lycra

BombClancy on
    what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    NiccoloNiccolo Registered User new member
    I would suggest a foam sculpt, less likely to get in trouble also more customizable. Foam is a perfectly fine cosplay prop that will not get you in trouble 98% of the time.

And you are the first Diablo cosplayer I have heard about so far (sorry if i'm wrong!) looking forward to seeing it!

Awesome! Thanks for the help, Arwen!

• Options
    VersuskidVersuskid Maui, HIRegistered User regular
    So I know that regular show isn't nerdy but I was thinking of coming as Rigby from Regular Show... Of course because Its my first Cosplay it won't be amazing, but I think it would be cool.. I was going to put black eyeliner on and wear dark brown jeans, a brown and darker brown striped long sleeve shirt with a light brown shirt over that, and brown converse... What do you guys think?

I spent like an hour compiling drawings of Rigby as a human, then drawing my own... Later I was trying to ask people if it looked like Rigby and some of them didn't know who he was so I googled him and showed them... And when I was Google I saw a picture of what my drawing looked like but better... So instead of posting my picture I am posting that.... it's by crystallizedtwilight....

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/345/7/1/rigby_and_mordecai_by_crystallizedtwilight-d33ucgx.png

I would love advice, and Rigby was only one of many Ideas ( I liked it because I am Native American so I am "tanish" ( Becasue I stay inside ) and have brown hair/eyes so it would be easy for me to do it.)

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
    Challenge Coin [ ]. Custom Dice [ ]. Forumer Pin [ ]. On Forumer Badge [ ]
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Hello everyone, AirWolf (aka AaronC) here with an update to the PAX Costume Weapons policy and information on how to get your costume weapons checked at Prime 2012

The TL:DR version of the weapons policy is that bats, wooden swords and other objects that can be used to bludgeon are no longer restricted. Things that shoot, airsoft and things that are sharp or pierce are not allowed.

Simply put, we trust that people aren't going to be intentionally hitting each other and that a ban on those items didn't serve its purpose.

The official policy is (and will eventually be posted on the FAQ):

A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It fires or can fire any sort of projectile. {Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire)

- It is airsoft, even if deactivated

- It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)

- It's sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

Please note the last, Little Sister syringes that are made of wood are not allowed because you can accidentally poke someone, especially in the Expo hall. If the syringe part is made of rubber instead it would be totally acceptable.

The method of checking will be a booth (location TBA) which will be staffed by from 1 hour prior to the show to the close of Expo Hall. All attendees who have costume weapons will directed there. The Security Management Team will also be checking the exterior line and the expo line before the doors open to alleviate any delay for people who show up before the show opens.

Anyone who has a costume weapon needs to be verified even if its an allowed costume weapon.

Attendees who weapons are allowed will have one or two methods to show that they have been checked and Ok'd. Any Enforcer can check to see if the costume weapons have been checked.

If an attendee's weapon is ok they will either get a zip tie (color TBA) placed on the weapon and/or a sticker on the back of their badge with a short description of the item and the name of the Enforcer who checked it.

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask them here.

Thanks!
    AirWolf

This discussion has been closed.