As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    See, that doesn't make him evil though. He just legitimately has no regard for human life. He refrains from killing Dana because he thinks that's not what you're supposed to do to your sister. Doctor dude was useful and hadn't done anything to fuck with Mercer, so there. Otherwise, he's only killing people because they're trying to kill him first or because he's trying to get to the bottom of things. He doesn't have any humane motivations, but neither does he have any malicious ones. I don't recall him ever seeming to take pleasure from eating a person, it's just what he does.

I agree that it doesn't make him "evil" by itself but it does rule out being "heroic" as well. Heroes are people who do things for others. Mercer has no reason to do anything for anyone except himself, because he has a complete lack of empathic understanding of other people. Psychopaths are kind of a moral grey area in terms of judging intents because they are severally emotionally disabled. They have the moral understanding of a rock and literally treat people as things. They do this because they have great difficulty feeling any emotion at all for anything. So any heroic quality that relies upon emotion for other people: compassion, empathy, selflessness, patriotism (respect for your group), love for others, even basic respect for others as people rather than food. All these things are missing. He does have other traditional heroic qualities like power, determination, tenacity, intelligence, but these are neutral qualities.

Just as it is nonsensical to randomly smash everything you see, so it is nonsensical for Mercer to randomly kill everyone he meets. However if killing someone serves a purpose for him he wouldn't bat an eye. Now if you take this personality then add the fact that eating people serves as healing and intelligence gathering...I think you can rule out hero.

Ironically this actually makes Heller more evil than Mercer. Mercer is incapable of understanding right or wrong in that sense, but Heller definitely is, and he eats people anyway.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Exactly. That's why I came to enjoy him as a character even more when I started thinking about it all post-game. It's a refreshing change of pace from heroes, gruff heroes, and plain villains.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I like him as a character type as well. As a person I like Heller more because Mercer isn't a person in both senses of the word. He's kind of disqualified on that front. :)
    As a character type though Heller is hella generic and not at all interesting.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Eh, I liked Heller a lot. His attitude was a really entertaining change from OHGODWHYMErcer.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You can like cliche things. It's how they become cliches.
    I like cliches and cheesy things like almost nobody else I know. I adore them especially when they are perfectly executed like Heller's. He's a textbook example of gruff anti-hero. The same attention to detail that they put into making Mercer's unique personality consistent was put into making Heller.
    I still recognise, despite liking them, that they are not, shall we say, enlightening.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    It's Prototype.

The only enlightment you get is from Blacklight.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I am disappoint that the thread is only 24 pages long. I can't wait to see what Radnet scores Morninglord has left for me when I finally get back to this in two days.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The first game wasn't that popular on this forum so nobody gave the second one a look. Even though it was specifically designed for all the people who didn't like the first one.
    The second reason for a lack of posting is a lack of depth. There is a little bit, but nothing compared to the tricks and shenanigans of the first game. They removed a lot of mechanics and a lot of abilities that could be combined to create more than the sum of its parts. The skill ceiling has been drastically lowered and a lot of fights have been gated so you have to do the right move to win. The result is a better game for the first time but not much to talk about afterwards.
    I turn it on every now and again but I'm not really motivated to play for mastery because there's not much to master. I was more motivated when I had your scores to beat. :) So most of them haven't moved.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I like how they implemented the "beat your friends" part into the campaign. I was never motivated to try to beat others' scores on, say, Batman Arkham Asylum or City because they were cordoned off into their own little area. Starting prototype 2 to be greeted with "Morninglord has BEAT YOU" almost always made me forget about the storyline and go off to wreck more havok than you.

At least I'll have a bunch of new events unlocked when I get back.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    how in the hell do you guys do the radnet races so fast? I struggle to get silver!

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Morninglord, I hate bothering you with this, but could you give me some examples of mutations and upgrades that I might like? From what I heard, you can upgrade either movement speed, health or...something I forgot when you level up. I heard that the regen speed, health you get from consuming and regen rate in combat increase when you upgrade health. So I think I'm going to go for a tank build with my Heller. In total what mutations/upgrades are there that might help with that?

Edit: Oh and, the armor power is gone completely? Do you just get a permanent boost to damage resistance or...? And what exactly is the tendril power? Isn't that like the Whipfist?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Tendrils and whipfist are completely different. Tendrils are kind of like Spider-man webs but crazier, so like Venom webs, but even crazier than that.

And you can eventually get all of the powers and abilities and everything, I think. You should pick what ever powers you are most interested in to level up first. I wouldn't worry about the health ones, because it is really hard to die. I am nearly finished with the game, and have sunk probably 40 hours into it-- I run around the city a lot, and get in a lot of fights with Blackwatch-- and I think I have only died three times on normal.

It is very hard to die, because you are almost constantly surrounded by zombies or blackwatch goons or those army guys. Once you get the ability that makes Heller immune to bullets (you can pretend he changes his density or whatever whenever he hears a gunshot, so the bullets pass through him as if he were like water), all of those goons are health. The game surrounds you with health. And there is a period when you are consuming that Heller is invincible which is incredibly useful and can also be funny if you time it right.

I am not @morninglord, but I have played the game a great deal.

• Options
    Tendrils and whipfist are completely different. Tendrils are kind of like Spider-man webs but crazier, so like Venom webs, but even crazier than that.

And you can eventually get all of the powers and abilities and everything, I think. You should pick what ever powers you are most interested in to level up first. I wouldn't worry about the health ones, because it is really hard to die. I am nearly finished with the game, and have sunk probably 40 hours into it-- I run around the city a lot, and get in a lot of fights with Blackwatch-- and I think I have only died three times on normal.

It is very hard to die, because you are almost constantly surrounded by zombies or blackwatch goons or those army guys. Once you get the ability that makes Heller immune to bullets (you can pretend he changes his density or whatever whenever he hears a gunshot, so the bullets pass through him as if he were like water), all of those goons are health. The game surrounds you with health. And there is a period when you are consuming that Heller is invincible which is incredibly useful and can also be funny if you time it right.

I am not @morninglord, but I have played the game a great deal.

Holy...That's awesome! Is it a power you have to turn on like the armor, that also has a tradeoff?

About the invincibility period: Let's say I grab a human an press "consume" does it start there and end when my health bar is actually increased?

And about the tendrils: Ok...but...how exactly do they work? Whipfists you turn on, and from then on your limbs stretch when you attack, you can grab things from further away. What happens when you turn on tendrils?

Sorry about all those questions, but I'm gonna have to wait for the PC version and I'm dying from anticipation :D

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited May 2012
    how in the hell do you guys do the radnet races so fast? I struggle to get silver!

I waited until I had my movement maxed out before I bothered with them. The races in the first game were incredibly frustrating, so I learned my lesson there.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

I waited until I had my movement maxed out before I bothered with them. The races in the first game were incredibly frustrating, so I learned my lesson there.

Yeah, I learned WAY early on with Spider-man 2. Soon as I saw the same shit, I knew better. :)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options

Yeah, I learned WAY early on with Spider-man 2. Soon as I saw the same shit, I knew better. :)

i have maxed out of my Heller's movement, and I still struggle to get silver, as in I am struggling and I can't do it, so I have bronze. Is there some kind of thing I should be doing to make Heller fall faster? I just thought of that. Can I lock onto the boxes and fall furiously at them with a lock-on, instead of falling angrily with my red trail of hatred slowing me down?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Morninglord, I hate bothering you with this.

I have no idea why people think I would be bothered by questions. Do I appear like an angry sort of person?

My whole schtick is sharing information so other people can have fun too. It bothers me if people want to know and don't ask!

You don't have to worry about builds because you can get everything by the end. The first thing I get is health regen to 50%, then I max movement, then I put points into finishers as they become available, then I work on devastators (specifically I get up to two bars). Then I get health regen to 100%, then I finish devastators.
    Do all the collectibles whenever you open up a zone and eat all the power upgrade people you find, the ones that look like a muscle arm.

@DouglasDanger

The trick to speed is letting go of sprint while in the air, dashing, and letting yourself fall. You can't get a faster falling speed than after a dash. Gliding to the ground is slow and terrible. It takes a while to train yourself to let go of sprint. Save a dash, when you are close to the ground, dash into it, then hold sprint again. You wont lose your speed if you press sprint while you are dashing into the ground. If you have used up all your dashes you can also press sprint just before you hit the ground. The timing is a lot tighter.
    Holy...That's awesome! Is it a power you have to turn on like the armor, that also has a tradeoff?

About the invincibility period: Let's say I grab a human an press "consume" does it start there and end when my health bar is actually increased?

And about the tendrils: Ok...but...how exactly do they work? Whipfists you turn on, and from then on your limbs stretch when you attack, you can grab things from further away. What happens when you turn on tendrils?

It's a passive power. It only works against small arms fire ie soldiers. Helicopter and base miniguns can still hurt you, rockets and tank shells etc can still hurt you, infected attacks, all that. The small arms fire is a constant source of damage that eats into you during the course of a fight since soldiers are everywhere. So it makes you awesome without being overpowered or anything. Unless there are only soldiers with rifles. Then you are op as hell.

The consume animation invincibility lasts from the moment you hit consume until after the consume animation ends. You know how they looked like little cutscenes in the last game? It's that whole length of time.

Tendrils have a standard combo and a hold down the button attack called black hole. The black hole attack is the real crowd pleaser. It sends off a bunch of tendrils that hit the target, then other tendrils shoot out from that target, grab random objects like cars, people, bits of people, bits of building, and pull them in towards the target. Do it in a crowd of people and they all get pulled into one spot and mushed. Do it on a helicopter and cars/bits of buildings fly up and clobber it.
    The standard combo looks a bit like a punch if you had boxing gloves that inflated whenever you punched to ten times their normal size. If you hit a normal human with it they get shredded by tentacles that grab all their limbs and pull them apart. If you hit a big infected with it the tentacles pin them in place and you can wail on them. If you kill a tank with this the tentacle rip it apart and bits of tank cover the street. If you take out a whole bunch of creatures with tentacles the whole street is covered with bits and pieces of creature hanging on lines of tentacles all over the place. Biological ground zero sort of feeling.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sorry about all those questions, but I'm gonna have to wait for the PC version and I'm dying from anticipation :D

Have you heard of Youtube? There are lots of Prototype 2 videos available.

Holy shit, this Infected Heller skin from the Colassal Mayhem DLC looks hilarious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1l70jrjtJw

Maybe I will buy it some time.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    the best part of that skin is when he goes MMMMRRRGGGMMM instead of talking. The story missions with it are hilarious.

• Options
    PTSD Heller (the soldier skin) should just scream fuck instead of talking in cutscenes

• Options

i have maxed out of my Heller's movement, and I still struggle to get silver, as in I am struggling and I can't do it, so I have bronze. Is there some kind of thing I should be doing to make Heller fall faster? I just thought of that. Can I lock onto the boxes and fall furiously at them with a lock-on, instead of falling angrily with my red trail of hatred slowing me down?

I haven't done them all, but the ones I remember were mostly getting higher up to stuff. Maybe don't jump so high, or quit gliding? If you've got hammerfists, you might be able to target one, and elbow drop to it. Still away from my beloved PS3, so I can't confirm any of this.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I beat this game a few hours ago, and immediately started a New Game +. One of my favorite games in some time.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmmU0Hy3Oms

Got my shit together finally.

Can't believe I remembered how to set up my encoding and everything.

• Options
    damn that is fast

• Options

I really hope highscores are handled crossplatform! That video makes me want to try nad beat your score :D

steam_sig.png

• Options

Oh yeah! Forever immortalized as No. 2. :P

Does this mean we can finally look forward to an update to Roller Coaster Ride?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I really hope highscores are handled crossplatform! That video makes me want to try nad beat your score :D

They're not going to be as far as I know since it depends on friends lists. If you manage to beat it just post your time and I'll take your word for it since I know you. Then try to beat it. :D I really want someone to compete in movement events with. I go as far as going over the route outside the event to figure out how to cut corners and increase time for movement events in both prototype 1 and 2.
    Does this mean we can finally look forward to an update to Roller Coaster Ride?

I make music videos when I can't get a song out of my head while playing a game and want to express it so it will go away. I'm way too lazy to put that much effort in for any other reason. It happens kind of rarely too. I was planning to make a general video showing a bunch of stuff for people who aren't sure if they want the game or not and another one focusing on movement. I'm not really planning to make any music vids for this one.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Infected Heller is so much fun, but I wish his movement grunts had been replaced with zombie noises.

• Options
    Finally got around to beating this, instead of messing around with my Radnet scores.

Re: the ending;
    Can someone tell me WTF was Mercer's plan, cause it seriously made no sense. I kept waiting for some twist at the end; but no, he was just a card-carrying, mustache-twirling villain. What made Heller so special that Mercer couldn't just absorb him like all the other Evolved? Hopefully if [prototype 3] is ever made, this "Mercer" will be revealed to have been a duplicate made by Elizabeth Greene.

If another game comes out with time-released challenges like the Radnet stuff, I'll wait until they're all released before buying it. Now that I've beat it, I don't know if I'll get back to doing the stuff that hasn't come out yet.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Finally got around to beating this, instead of messing around with my Radnet scores.

Re: the ending;
    Can someone tell me WTF was Mercer's plan, cause it seriously made no sense. I kept waiting for some twist at the end; but no, he was just a card-carrying, mustache-twirling villain. What made Heller so special that Mercer couldn't just absorb him like all the other Evolved? Hopefully if [prototype 3] is ever made, this "Mercer" will be revealed to have been a duplicate made by Elizabeth Greene.

If another game comes out with time-released challenges like the Radnet stuff, I'll wait until they're all released before buying it. Now that I've beat it, I don't know if I'll get back to doing the stuff that hasn't come out yet.
    I am pretty sure Mercer is the virus, and he wants to spread.

I have no idea why Heller is different from the rest of the Evolved.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I guess that makes as much sense as anything.
    "Bwaa ha ha" also makes as much sense.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I love the fact that Heller's kind of a big dumb guy. The computer terminal bit near the beginning had me dying.

"Okay, I'm at the computer. Which button do I push?"
    "First, you need to--"
    "I'M PUSHING THE RED BUTTON. Shit, now the screen's all fucked up! SHIT'S BROKE."

• Options
    Green wrote: »
    I love the fact that Heller's kind of a big dumb guy. The computer terminal bit near the beginning had me dying.

"Okay, I'm at the computer. Which button do I push?"
    "First, you need to--"
    "I'M PUSHING THE RED BUTTON. Shit, now the screen's all fucked up! SHIT'S BROKE."

That is one of favorite bits of dialog in the game.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As a heads up for anyone who hasn't got the game yet but was interested, Amazon has a deal going on today for $30.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As a heads up for anyone who hasn't got the game yet but was interested, Amazon has a deal going on today for $30.

Goddammit

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    How many skins are there for Heller not including DLC?

• Options
    None. Three came out with the recently released DLC, and the Mercer skin for completing all the Radnet challenges.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Anyone tried out the new powers in this most recent DLC? I saw a video of some kind of crazy insto-kill eye beam.

• Options
    The first pack didn't impress. The new one looks like more of the same.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Anyone tried out the new powers in this most recent DLC? I saw a video of some kind of crazy insto-kill eye beam.

The Force Multipliers are kind of neat. The eye beam is a one-hit kill for any enemy, even bosses. Shockwave destroys everything around you when you jump (but does nothing when you land?) and Chaos Creator fills the Green and Yellow zones with common infected and soldiers. The infected grenade launcher is kind of pointless, especially with Chaos Creator.