As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

21 year old cat is peeing inside the house

SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG!Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Heyo!

Pics:

P1000555.jpg

P1000558.jpg

She's 21 years old even if she doesn't seem so. She's very agile and not senile at all, only problem is that she is 100% deaf now. Other than that she's really healthy.

Except that she's started going pee-pee right behind the piano. She's got free access to outside the house all the time, but for some reason as soon as she comes in, she will go pee back there.

Pic of affected spot:

P1000556.jpg

What can I do to make her stop? My dad is very upset and won't let her in the house anymore because of this, I find this cruel, but we all know how terrible cat pee smells.

Satsumomo on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It is very hard to make a cat stop peeing where it has gone before. The smell is very hard to remove from their senses. There are cleaners, Nature's Gift or something like that, that will do very well on it though. Can you block access to the area with towels/screens on the sides of the piano? Or put a litter box there?

I do know that letting a 21 year old deaf cat outside is not the safest choice for the cat.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What a cutie

When my cat who has now passed away developed diabetes, he started peeing on the floor in the downstairs bathroom, even though the litter box was in the next room over with nothing obstructing his access to it. I would suggest putting a box behind the piano but ultimately make sure there's nothing wrong with her

Rayze on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When was the last time she had a vet checkup? Change in pee habits can be a sign of a variety of health issues.

admanb on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When my cat started getting alzheimer's one of the first things he started doing was peeing inside. So, yeah worth getting her checked out.

oldsak on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The best way is to block her access, if that's an option. If not, putting a little box back there might help, but there's some reason she's not using the already easily-accessible litter box, so maybe not.

Before she died, my (20 year old) cat started peeing on the tassels of one of the area rugs in our living room. No reason we could ever figure out. She'd use her litter too, but somehow the rug became an acceptable place to pee. Blocking access wasn't an option, so eventually we just had to get rid of it.

Anyway, there could be a lot of reasons for this. If something really disturbed or threatened her (another animal in the house?) that might be the cause. It might also be a sign of kidney failure (or probably a host of other feline-related problems.) If that's the case, even if the vet can identify the problem, there probably isn't much to be done about it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HK5HK5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    She should go see a vet to rule out kidney disease, urinary tract disease, hormonal changes, pain problems, and mentation changes due to aging. All of these (and plenty of other reasons) cause cats to urinate inappropriately and all of them can be treated to varying degrees. Siamese cats tend to be longer-lived than other breeds but even so she looks great for a 21 year old.

Or if she is healthy, you could just put a litter box there. Since she likes that spot she may pee appropriately in a litter box if it is placed in the vicinity. It's probably less convenient than just having her pee outside like she used to but she's 21 so maybe she just needs a little accommodation in her old age.

HK5 on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, HK5 nailed the usual issues. Generally speaking, something is very likely causing the cat pain while urinating, and she's starting to associate the litterbox with pain.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HK5 wrote: »
    She should go see a vet to rule out kidney disease, urinary tract disease, hormonal changes, pain problems, and mentation changes due to aging. All of these (and plenty of other reasons) cause cats to urinate inappropriately and all of them can be treated to varying degrees. Siamese cats tend to be longer-lived than other breeds but even so she looks great for a 21 year old.

Or if she is healthy, you could just put a litter box there. Since she likes that spot she may pee appropriately in a litter box if it is placed in the vicinity. It's probably less convenient than just having her pee outside like she used to but she's 21 so maybe she just needs a little accommodation in her old age.

Yep, definitely take your cat to the vet get checked out, just in case. My kitty started peeing on the carpet a few months before he died and it turned out being kidney problems. Hope your kitty will be ok!

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    She doesn't have a litterbox, my parents live in a golf country club, so she usually goes outside for all her necessities.

Here's the thing, my sister brought her cat for the holidays, this might just be it, I'm gonna ask my parents if she started doing this before my sister got here.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    just take her to the damn vet.

poor litttle creature is 21 years old. it could be a plethora of medical reasons, or she could be just upset that there's a feline intruder on her porperty.

but really, why risk it, especially if she hasn't been to the vet in a long time? a routine check-up isn't that expensive.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Your cat is over 100 years old in human years, stuff is going to start happening as she ages.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Our first cat starting peeing in different spots when she got older. Took her to the vet and found out she was on her way out with a variety of issues and was likely in a good amount of pain all the time. My mom decided that it was time to let her go.

You really should take the cat to the vet regardless. I'm not saying that there's something badwrong with her, but at that age, why risk it.

jedikuonji on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My cat started peeing in the house when she was 17. She was also deaf and lost a tooth or two. We ended up having to put her down. :cry:

Take her to the vet, and be prepared for the worst.

Taya on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hate to say it but she's gonna die soon. We inherited a 16 year old cat that did that about a year after we got her. It was really sad.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As an update, she has stopped doing it. It seems to have been a passing reaction to the other cat being around.

Had this been a medical condition I think she would have just peed anywhere and not just that specific spot.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Congrats! YaY GrannyCat for making it to another awesome year.

Keep rocking those blue eyes Grams.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    KatrwaulKatrwaul Registered User new member
    I know this is an old forum but I need help.
    17 year old female cat.
    Peeing in 1 corner. (and poo too)
    Clean catboxes.
    Added a catbox where she is peeing and she refuses to go in it, but will pee right next to it.
    Vet says there is nothing wrong with her.
    Have used natures miracle, CO2, bleach and Kirkland wipes at different times, no help.
    We have 5 other cats, none of them are doing it.

She is getting a bit frail so we thought she just didn't want to go downstairs to use the old catboxes, they have access to the outside on both the upstairs and the downstairs. The upstairs deck does not have access to the ground.

If anyone has any ideas besides exorcism, please let me know.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    You should make your own thread.

This discussion has been closed.