As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows 7 64bit crash on sleep resume?

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Just got my OS reinstalled after a bad malware hit. Never had any problems before today. On sleep resume as the monitor was powering up, I saw a glimpse of BSOD. On reload, I used the autoscan to try to find anything in particular, but it came back empty handed. I can't find the crash log either.

I've heard this can be caused by antivirus (I'm using Kaspersky trial) or bad drivers? If so, which do I need to update?

Is this a problem that will stay isolated as long as I have sleep disabled? It's not a big deal for me to not use the sleep feature, I just *have* to have a working computer for work purposes.

manwiththemachinegun on

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    It can, but you need to isolate the issue. If you suspect the antivirus may be causing it, uninstall that, see if it has the issue or not. If it still has the issue, reinstall the av, and move to the next thing.

Its also possible you are still infected.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I did a system format before the OS reinstall so I doubt it's the virus. Plus it was a hijacker, not a destabilizor.

I'll try reinstalling the anti-virus and see if that works. May have just been a fluke thing since I tried sleep mode a few more times with no reaction.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    You might want to check your event log, specifically the system log, and see if there is anything to indicate what could be causing the BSOD.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Upgrade/install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I'd also advise against using 3rd party anti-virus, the Windows Security Essentials seems to be the best thing right now for the protection/overhead ratio.

8R7BtLw.png
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, honestly, I was gonna say... if it might be related to your antivirus, just use Microsoft Security Essentials (this is the correct name, NOT Windows Security Essentials) and you're probably better off. Not because Microsoft makes it (3rd party stuff can be just fine, as it has been in the past), but because it seems to be pretty much the best option for anti-virus out there right now, doesn't use many resources, isn't intrusive, AND it's totally free. Not "free trial" free, actually free. You just need a legit copy of Windows to be able to run it (and you do have that, I'm sure).

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Essee wrote: »
    Yeah, honestly, I was gonna say... if it might be related to your antivirus, just use Microsoft Security Essentials (this is the correct name, NOT Windows Security Essentials) and you're probably better off. Not because Microsoft makes it (3rd party stuff can be just fine, as it has been in the past), but because it seems to be pretty much the best option for anti-virus out there right now, doesn't use many resources, isn't intrusive, AND it's totally free. Not "free trial" free, actually free. You just need a legit copy of Windows to be able to run it (and you do have that, I'm sure).

I had it active before, but it didn't stop whatever crashed my PC last time from blowing through every ad-blocker and anti-virus protection I had, security essentials included (would happen to be one of the few days I used Internet Explorer, never making that mistake again). If a simple ad-script on a dating website can do that, I'm not sure how much protection would be necessary to stop it.

So the real question is, does Security Essentials have some kind of browser blocker addon/feature?

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Its likely you are missing a driver. Make sure you download all storage and chipset drivers and install them.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

I had it active before, but it didn't stop whatever crashed my PC last time from blowing through every ad-blocker and anti-virus protection I had, security essentials included (would happen to be one of the few days I used Internet Explorer, never making that mistake again). If a simple ad-script on a dating website can do that, I'm not sure how much protection would be necessary to stop it.

So the real question is, does Security Essentials have some kind of browser blocker addon/feature?

you should not have more than one virus protection running at one time.

they interfere with one another and your system.

I would try uninstalling Kaspersky and seeing if you still get a BSOD

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

It does have active protection (which I guess didn't catch that particular problem before it hit), though it's not really through your browser or anything, but if you want better security while browsing the web... Everybody who likes using Firefox or a derivative of it should use NoScript. Basically, NoScript doesn't allow any scripts to run unless you tell it to allow a site. This means you're WAY safer because the vast majority of drive-by attacks won't run in your browser (unless you've specifically allowed the site to run scripts yourself). I don't actually know of anything that's snuck past NoScript thus far (aside from proof of concept stuff which they then update it to block before someone uses it to actually attack people), just trying not to claim it protects you from everything ever because there are always new exploits. It comes with a couple common sites already whitelisted (Youtube, etc.) but you will need to allow scripts on various sites as needed if they won't work without them-- only takes a click or two. I think that's a pretty small price to pay for mostly not needing to worry about getting hit by this stuff again. Naturally, it doesn't save you from downloading and running crack.exe and getting a billion viruses that way (someone I knew actually did this-- that was literally the filename of what they downloaded), but it's massively helpful for keeping you safe during actual browsing.

If something DOES get through both NoScript and MSE (choosing to download something unsafe yourself, for example), Malwarebytes usually nukes it. But no anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-spyware is infallible because they only block or remove problems they know about (or programs that look suspicious based on problems they know about). NoScript, because it blocks ALL scripts and has several other layers of protection as well, can actually block plenty of bad stuff from the web that we don't know about yet as long as there's a script involved and you haven't allowed that site to run scripts (and not having this protection in place is the main way people get viruses these days). I won't claim it's infallible, as I said before, but because it blocks everything by default it's a lot harder for even new viruses/malware/etc. to get through.

And yeah, I don't know if you meant you were running MSE plus some other anti-virus, or if you just meant you had multiple types of protection, but running more than one anti-virus at a time is not a good idea because anti-virus programs love to interfere with each other if they're running at the same time. So don't do that.

Essee on