As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop gets slower the longer it's on

SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
This just started happening recently. I use a Dell laptop that runs Windows 7. What's started happening is that when I start it up, it moves at the normal speeds it should, but after a few hours it seems to slow to a crawl. Programs are slow to load and save, the internet doesn't move as quickly as it should, and youtube vids and the like transform into stop-motion presentations with very crackly sound. Turning it off the turning it back on a couple hours later seems to resolve the issue, but it starts to do it again a few hours later. I've heard it might be overheating, but I've put it in sleep mode for over an hour or so, and not only did it not feel warm, but the speeds were, if anything, worse.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

SpeedySwaf on

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    heat first
    Clean the heatsink by blowing air the opposite direction the fan pushes it while the laptop is off. To be extra safe use a pin to stop the fan from spinning while you do this.

A lot of modern laptops will underclock the cpu the hotter it gets.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Next time it starts bogging down, open the task manager and see if you've got anything eating a huge amount of CPU. It might be something trying to update or trying to run a scan or something.
    Check your start up programs (type shell:startup in the search bar) and see if you've got anything running on startup that isn't terminating properly.

You might also have some malware running that's eating your memory. If blowing out the dust doesn't clear things up, download Rkill and see if it finds anything.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Does rebooting it make it go faster when you get back into Windows?
    That should give you an indication on which way to go, with regards to see's and Draygo's ideas.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    A lot of that type of slowness can come from memory leaks. Firefox has some known leaks and tends to overcache, especially if you're opening a lot of tabs. Still, open up task manager when it happens and see if you can identify a culprit.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    cintaricintari Registered User regular
    Do you know the model of your computer? Also, when did you buy it? Is it a new or refurbished laptop?

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    It's worth grabbing some compressed air and putting a good blast into the vents as general maintenance on a laptop, as heat could certainly be causing the CPU to scale back. At the same time since you said that in sleep mode you still end up with a slow system, I'd be inclined to think it's a software issue.

As a general first step, I'd run CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) which clears out temporary files/caches/cookies and in general is just designed to fix the system bog that (thankfully less than it did in the old days) just builds up over time. Make sure you can remember your passwords for websites before you run it as you'll be re-logging in to things like these forums.

After that, have a look at what active processes are running on your machine in the task manager. You might catch a program misbehaving and using up an entire core or two making your system chug. If you're using something like Norton as a virus scanner, replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials (which will do a better job and run faster.) Check what programs you have running on boot in the system tray. Make sure all your software is up to date (you could just have something out of date that's causing a memory leak.) Particularly flash/acrobat/web browsers. If you're still running into the problem I'd even update drivers if only because you're likely to see secondary benefits even if they probably aren't the culprit.

Erik