As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
b00004tt8702lzzzzzzzfc3.jpgcontactmoviebw0.jpg321contactoi5.jpgcontacthk8.jpg

What the Fuck is Contact?

Intial screens led people to believe that Contact was a DS sequel to Earthbound/Mother, but were let down when it turned out to be false. Still, just because it isn't Earthbound DS doesn't mean it won't be good! And the game does look to be in the same kind of humor of the popular Nintendo series, so that's good. And if we get Mother 3 one day, it and Contact might be too good. In such an event, one of us might have to suffer a natural diaster for the good of the team.

So back to brass tacks.

From the people that brought you Killer7, Contact is about a boy named Terry, who has crashlanded on Earth along with a Professor who presumably is in charge of the spacecraft/laboratory. The professor has charged Terry with getting the needed "Cells" to power the ship. Along the way, it turns out someone else is gunning for the Cells and the Professor might have other motives...

Okay, so what's unique about Contact?

First, the game breaks the fourth wall so much it really doesn't have one. The characters will talk directly to you in several cases, especially the Professor. The developrs have said that Professor is relying on YOU to teach him about Earth so that he can repair his ship. It's you helping Terry, not controlling him, and thus (from what I have read), the controls are more like a click-to-move RPG.

Also, the game is divided via screens. The top screen serves as a view of the ship, with the Professor and his dog. The graphics here are like old-school 8-Bit, which is likely the reason the game got confused for Earthbound. Here the Professor might give you clues or tips.

The bottom screen is where the action is, and it looks like a 16-Bit RPG with lush backgrounds and many sprites. This is where you control Terry and do all the dungeon-crawling and monster serial killing.

Somewhat different is the leveling. You've probably heard of games that increase stats based on what you do. Same deal here. Get hit a lot and your defense goes up. Beat the shit out of people and attack increases. According to Wikipedia, it's been claimed that the stat increases come fairly often and should increase fairly naturally in battle. Hopefully this means you won't have to go out to some low level area and let squirrels hit you so your defense will be high enough for the next boss.

Also, Terry has reputation stats that increase his standing with NPCs. Unlike many RPGs, Terry can attack anyone in the game (Fallout did that, I am almost positive!). Your reputation depends on good deeds you have done, whom you have killed and how tough are the people you are slaughtering.

Suits also give Terry unique abilities instead of armor. Concept art has shown everything from a vampire emo kid suit to a fisherman suit. Shit, I even saw what looked like a hazmat suit. Alas, I have yet to see a Tanooki Suit.

Rounding off the list of features is Decals. These are basically stickers Terry can mix and match for various effects. Think the badge system in Paper Mario, only they likely do not confer spells or special attacks. You might gain healing, increased attack power, and so on.

Multiplayer? Wi-Fi?

Yes, actually. Now, I am going to quote the main site from Atlus on this:
Through the magic of the Nintendo WiFi Connection, you can Contact your friends. Their "Terrys" will come live in your game, on WiFisland.
Yes...WiFisland. The big sites are pretty silent on this, offering only a guess that it might be a Animal Crossing Lite sort of deal.

Despite your sloppy writing, I have managed to learn enough to want this game. Release Date?

The game came out in March in Japan, but currently there is no solid release date. Originally planned for September 19th, the newly launch website gives a rather vague "October 2006" estimate.

For Europe, I cannot find an accurate date, but the general consensus is shortly after the US sometime in the Fall.

Here is a screen to give you an idea of the difference in graphic styles:
screenbq5.jpg

Here's a metric shitton of screens, art, and sprites to ogle.

Next month, consider making Contact...a purchase.

IF NOTHING ELSE WILL CONVINCE YOU TO BUY THIS, THE BOX WILL. IT'S GOOD ENOUGH TO FRAME.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm definitely looking forward to this, but man, this thread needs more back cover art. That shit is hilarity. :P

Ledneh on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    And it's Atlus we're talking about here, kids, so reserve it now, get it then, or never have another chance. 8)

[spoiler:655b15083a]I sure will[/spoiler:655b15083a]

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Preordered, and better be presented to me on the 21st for my birthday.

Alpine on
  • sixteensixteen Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh fuck yes. I am totally working forward to this game.

sixteen on
  • Crazy Old MoriseCrazy Old Morise Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    And it's Atlus we're talking about here, kids, so reserve it now, get it then, or never have another chance. 8)

[spoiler:018a0d1ac1]I sure will[/spoiler:018a0d1ac1]

Excellent point. I will preorder this when I get Dead Rising tommorrow.

Crazy Old Morise on
  • jeffcjeffc Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I will definitely be picking this up as an early birthday present for myself.

jeffc on
  • God-JesusGod-Jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So I've hearded a lot about this so called "back cover" to contact.

pix plz.

God-Jesus on
    Oh man, I remember during a car trip I was getting ready to throw up and my horrible aunt gave me a Squeezeit bottle and told me to "puke in that". :(
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    How the hell did I forget the back of box?

It is made of win and God.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Needs more

060725massivedamageto7.jpg

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    but he has spikey hair!

Ranced on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    How the hell did I forget the back of box?

It is made of win and God.

It is, oh my God it is

"Things you WON'T find in Contact: ... A guy with spikey hair and/or amnesia."

hahahahahahhaha

Lemming on
    edited August 2006
    So, is that cracked hole on the front cover supposed to symbolize the fourth wall being shattered or something?

God-Jesus on
    Oh man, I remember during a car trip I was getting ready to throw up and my horrible aunt gave me a Squeezeit bottle and told me to "puke in that". :(
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This is going to be so great.

Zodiac Brave on
    edited August 2006
    Ranced wrote:
    but he has spikey hair!
    C'mon, this is from a Japanese RPG perspective. Comparing his hair to say, Cloud's, is like comparing the penis size of a vagina.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ConcernedSauceConcernedSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This game looks fantastic. Every other genre on the DS has some crazy game, except the RPGs. Now, we are finally getting one.

ConcernedSauce on
    catreturnsigsm9rx.jpg
    Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh wow, and it comes out on my birthday, too! :^: :^:

Zodiac Brave on
  • zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Nice OP, you pushed me over teh edge. I want it. I'll probably pre-order it when I'm down at college.

zeppelin on
    edited August 2006
    Information is sktechy at the moment, and it's nearly a month before release. My fear is that this will get totally ignored by the big press.

The devs had said it's more like a collection of minigames with combat connecting them all. But hands-on articles suggest its fairly combat-intensive.

I'm just in it for the parody and humor. One attack is described as "Go Straight for the Liver!"

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited August 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Information is sktechy at the moment, and it's nearly a month before release. My fear is that this will get totally ignored by the big press.

The devs had said it's more like a collection of minigames with combat connecting them all. But hands-on articles suggest its fairly combat-intensive.

I'm just in it for the parody and humor. One attack is described as "Go Straight for the Liver!"

What Atlus game hasn't?

Pretty much all they do is churn out cult classics.

God-Jesus on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    game looks so good yea. got it preordered.

edit: had the sig for a while too

Ah_Pook on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    God-Jesus wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

What Atlus game hasn't?

Pretty much all they do is churn out cult classics.

I'm afraid not. Even our friends at the ATL have to make some quick cash once in a while.

spotlight_bbd1.jpg

But who knows, maybe it's actually a good game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I've been excited for this game since the first screen shot was released. My excitement is so palpable and real that the sheer mass and density of it could go and buy the game for me and have it arrive at my doorstep without my physical self even lifting a finger.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    you forgot to just direclty quote the box in the OP

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I can't wait. The box art alone justifies my purchase of a DS Lite instead of food for the next month.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm sold on this game. Combat sounds fun, dialogue is witty, graphics look great.

aeolist on
    edited August 2006
    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This is the next DS game I'm eagerly looking forward to.

September 19 can't come soon enough.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't care what the box says, that kid's got spikey hair.

Nfinit Vylence on
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    14hp3.jpg

This just looks awesome.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
    edited August 2006
    Movies.

Shows some fights and the intro. I am increasingly pumped.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Son of a GunSon of a Gun Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It really does have a lot in common with earthbound.

Also, is the Professor just playing a game of Pong there forever?

Son of a Gun on
    jesuspi3.png
  • Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh God

There are three DS titles I want to get in September

FFIII, MMZX, and this. I'm only gonna be able to get two immediately that month. What should I drop that month, and pick up when I can?

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • PastryPastry Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Seta FD wrote:
    Oh God

FFIII, MMZX, and this. I'm only gonna be able to get two immediately that month. What should I drop that month, and pick up when I can?

FFIII will probably be the easiest to find in the future out of those three. I'd say get Contact and Megaman ZX and then pick FFIII up later.

Pastry on
    mdacho13aj.jpg
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This game just looks so interesting. I've yet to figure out what the hell is going on, and yet I want the game so much. I've also sold one of my friends on the game, solely because of the back of the box. I should be able to get a few of my other friends to get it once I have the game and can show it off.

AshtonDragon on
    edited August 2006
    Pastry wrote:
    Seta FD wrote:
    Oh God

FFIII will probably be the easiest to find in the future out of those three. I'd say get Contact and Megaman ZX and then pick FFIII up later.

this is a good idea

What's your PayPal? I want to pay you... in rape dollars

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • PastryPastry Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Seta FD wrote:
    Pastry wrote:
    Seta FD wrote:
    Oh God

this is a good idea

I'v got no paypal, you can have my address though :winky:

EDIT: Woah the intwerweb went crazy for a moment

Pastry on
    mdacho13aj.jpg
    edited August 2006
    Pastry wrote:
    Seta FD wrote:
    Pastry wrote:
    Seta FD wrote:
    Oh God

this is a good idea

I'v got no paypal, you can have my address though :winky:

I'll be over in 5, try to act surprised

Its not really rape if you see it coming

Turn off the lights and look in the corner or something

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
    edited August 2006
    This game just looks so interesting. I've yet to figure out what the hell is going on, and yet I want the game so much. I've also sold one of my friends on the game, solely because of the back of the box. I should be able to get a few of my other friends to get it once I have the game and can show it off.
    From what I have read, it's similar to Secret of Mana or Evermore for the SNES. Real-time battles and all that.

Similar, but large differences exist.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • NeoflyNeofly Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm officially excited for this game.

Neofly on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It's Atlus. Bought!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on