As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Cthulhu - IC] Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    Mathew looks at Guy, "Shall we check the back while we're here?"

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    "Oh no! We're too late! He's burned secret documents!"

Todt rushes into the room and begins hastily stamping on the fire.

"Quick! Check around to see if he missed any!"

Skill check- Kick 1d100 vs 25 pass

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Guy nods at Matthew. "Definitely."

Guy walks towards the back door nonchalantly, looking for hints of activity from inside the house.

El Skid on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    "Kris, there's blood on the door frame. Not much but I doubt that's a good sign. Did you find anything?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    [Peff and Marcus]
    You sift through the ashes of the fire, trying not to burn yourself. The only legible document you can find is a fragment of paper with the hospital letterhead, but it is too charred to reveal anything of more substance.

[El Skid and Rucdoc]
    The back yard faces a similar home next door and looks fairly common place and professionally maintained. A small storage shed sits next to a barren garden plot in one corner. Climbing onto the porch, you can see through the glass sliding door into a den.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "Blood? That's not good. Neither is the fact that the only thing we can find is this ruined piece of paper."

• Options
    Mathew walks up to the sliding glass door to look inside. " Guy you want to check the shed?"
    Spot Hidden = 1d100 → [49] = (49) Fail http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3521010/

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Lowering his voice "Well the fire is still hot, he must have known someone was going to come ask him, the timing is too good. Let's check the stairs." Javier motions to the set of stairs as he moves cautiously toward them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tdot whips out his handgun and holds it like a cop!

4899187,B6F0ZARyxHrN8gLAy2mLGUgcUVGqxQZijsztjr0yTcGm1nu4+jdm9Jprbjk71aeh4AzL3oUDqxsc+6JobP12cw==.jpg

He goes up to the wall right next to the stairs!

"Should we warn them?" Todt asks.

• Options
    "I'd like to but I don't know that we have time, I don't want Appleton or whoever did this to get away. Matt is here for once, they should be able to cover each other's backs until we can check this out." Pulling his knife, "Cover me? I'm going to start up the stairs."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Okay! Be careful!"

Todt covers Javier with his gun, alert for any sign of a threat.

• Options
    [Peff and Captain Marcus]
    You do your best to climb up the metal staircase without making much noise. At the top you see a short hallway with three doors. The first is open and you can see a bedroom through the doorway.

[Rucdoc]
    You step into a mundane looking den. The carpets are thick grey shag, well out of style now, and bear a few stains near the couches. Posters of various 60s sci-fi and western films adorn the walls. Little if anything has the markings of a feminine touch.

• Options
    Javier looks at Todt, brings a finger to his eye, and then points at the bedroom door. Slinking to the wall, he slides up and peers inside.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Guy curses himself for not speaking first, and getting stuck with shed duty. Good thing this isn't a horror movie, or I'd be the one getting eaten he thought, laughing silently at his own joke.

Approaching the shed, he checked for anything unusual and listened for a moment before reaching out to open the door...

El Skid on
  • Options
    Todt moves up to one of the other doors and listens.

Listen check vs 80 - 21 pass

• Options
    [El Skid]
    Someone appears to have tampered with the padlock, which hangs open on the latch. Inside the small shed, a pile of tools and sundry items have been shoved into a pile at the back. A new looking folding chair sits in the center of the floor, facing the small window on the door. Beside a pair of binoculars sits a pile of crushed beer cans, old coffee cups, and greasy deli paper.
    It's all quiet, save for the sounds of Mathew entering the den below you. Judging by its size, you're looking in on the master bedroom. The queen sized bed is made and looks undisturbed. The room is sparsely decorated, and doesn't appear to have seen much use.

• Options
    Mathew, not wanting to interupt, or be shot by his friends who went in the front of the house, Mathew stepped back out onto the patio.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Javier carefully takes a look around the room for anything suspicious

Whispering to Todt "I don't really see anything in here...next room."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "It doesn't seem like there's much here anyways. Let's go."

• Options
    Crossing through the joined bathroom, you enter another bedroom. Like the master bedroom, this one looks sparsely decorated and unused. A thin layer of dust sits on the bedside table.

• Options
    Walking from the porch over towards Guy Mathew asks "You find anything?"

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    "I guess there's nothing here either. Let's move on."

Spot Hidden, untrained vs 25. 54 Fail.

• Options
    "I'm starting to wonder if we'll find anything, this place seems nearly abandoned. Onto the next room, then."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Guy looks around for anything suspicious before bending down in front of the window to see what the spy was looking at.

• Options
    "It seems we've covered everything upstairs. Let's move downstairs."

• Options
    edited May 2012
    [El Skid]
    Under the chair, you notice a crudely drawn set of symbols cut into the floor of the shed. The first is familiar now.
    bjjZC.jpg
    sGgsQ.jpg

You can see that the window provides an excellent view into the den, across the hall, and into the kitchen. Portions of the upstairs rooms are visible too, though the windows there are too dusty to give a clear view. The street is visible on both sides of the house all the way to the corners.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    "Sounds good...I hope Dr. Thorpe didn't tell him we were coming. Let's get back to the stairs."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You trundle back down the stairs and enter the hallway. There's a door to your left, and the den and kitchen are ahead of you to the left and right respectively. You both notice a strong acrid aroma coming from the door on your left, almost like rotten eggs.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Guy shrugs and decides that this is as good a place to watch the action from as any. At least they wouldn't get snuck up on, and it appeared there was someone who spent alot of time in here anyway- it'd be bad if they picked now to show up and start observing.

Mentally, he traced the fastest way into the house should the need arise, and began setting things up so that the shed looked from the outside exactly as it had before.

Then he sat down in the chair and...watched. He'd had worse gigs...

El Skid on
  • Options
    rucdoc wrote: »
    Walking from the porch over towards Guy Mathew asks "You find anything?"

"Yes, a surveillance shed, complete with a view of ze street from both sides and lots of ze house. Plus more funny pictures, including our favorite one. I was just going to sit down and keep an eye on things, but you can do that if you prefer..."

• Options
    "Oh by all means, if you want to sit in a shed you're welcome to it. But, would you really want to be sitting around those symobls for a while?"

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Guy looked taken aback, which didn't happen often. After a moment of trying to fit the statement into any sort of logical order and failing, he managed to get out:

"...I'm sorry, I don't theenk I understood ze question. What's wrong with sitting near ze symbols?"

El Skid on
  • Options
    "That room smells bad. Let's investigate it first, then see if the den and kitchen have any clues."

Todt opens the door and sees if anything is hidden.

(I assume the room is empty, otherwise I'll change it.)

Spot Hidden Check vs 25, untrained. 18, pass

• Options
    "Not sure, but not something I would want to do." Mathew said as he turned to start back towards the house.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    edited May 2012
    [Captain Marcus and Peff]
    The stink inside the bathroom is powerful and pungent; you're almost gagging on the smell of rotten eggs. Without thinking, Dr. von Todt smashes the small back window to provide some cross ventilation for the room. Inside the room is a tub full of yellowish fluid. There is a slimy, white, greasy sludge floating on top of the fluid, something appears to be submerged below it. The fluid is too dark to see the bottom of the tub. Beside the tub are 5 unlabeled, empty, glass carboys.
    [rucdoc, El Skid]
    You hear glass shatter near the wall of the house, and some gagging sounds.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    "Sulfur. Ugh. I don't suppose there's a switch for the drain below the faucet..."

• Options
    "Wait! That smell! By Jove, Javier, that liquid is sulfuric acid! What's more, judging from the scum on the top, there could be a body being dissolved! But how will be get it out or at least propped up to identify it?"

• Options
    Looking up, Javier reaches up to pull the shower rod down and try and lift anything out of the acid. "Kris, give me a hand with this, if we hurry we might be able to salvage something."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Well that can't be good." Mathew says hearing the glass breaking. He pulls out his gun and makes his way into the house.

"You guys alright?" Mathew shouts entering the den.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    "We're alright! Try to see if you can find any ammonia," Todt calls back.

"Javier we'd have to lift it somewhere in order to neutralize the acid. It's pretty useless to lift whatever that is out, and not be able to touch it because of the acid. Let me see if I can put some trash bags down on the floor."

Todt looks for trash bags under the sink, as well as ammonia.