As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 05/23/12 - And this is Bat-Cow

2»

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Also, what's going on with Mysterio?

Latest Spider-Man
    Spidey pointed out that if Mysterio doesn't help stop Doc Ock from torching the world, the 2 billion dollars he was paid will be worth nothing. So Mysterio switches sides.

Why Spidey didn't use this line on Chameleon or Sand Man too, I don't know. Chameleon was right there listening - it probably would have worked.

616 Mysterio is supposed to be the main villain of the Spider-Men crossover that's coming (and is also apparently the same person as Ultimate Mysterio, somehow), so him joining Spidey could possibly tie into that. Maybe.

The answer is this
    Who the fuck wants Chameleon on their team?

Quire.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Also, what's going on with Mysterio?

Latest Spider-Man
    Spidey pointed out that if Mysterio doesn't help stop Doc Ock from torching the world, the 2 billion dollars he was paid will be worth nothing. So Mysterio switches sides.

Why Spidey didn't use this line on Chameleon or Sand Man too, I don't know. Chameleon was right there listening - it probably would have worked.

616 Mysterio is supposed to be the main villain of the Spider-Men crossover that's coming (and is also apparently the same person as Ultimate Mysterio, somehow), so him joining Spidey could possibly tie into that. Maybe.

The answer is this
    Who the fuck wants Chameleon on their team?

Disguises aren't so useful when the guy you're fighting wants to kill EVERYONE.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah

Voodoo sounded like one of the worst books of the New 52 and the whole stripper thing was just blech

so the fact that they just said fuck that to everything and made a clear effort to better the book is appreciated

To be fair the stripper thing was a nod to the original Image comic in which she was indeed a stripper.

You know before the whole hero oh shit I'm half alien thing happened.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I will forever love voodoo

I will forever be the only one who does

7656367.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Man, I really miss Cable-and-Deadpool-era Deadpool. Right after some of is brain issues were fixed. When he was still wacky and zany but you kind of felt it was.more an act than anything else.

Eh, I never got into Cable/Deadpool's run, mostly cause no matter what they tried, Cable always seemed boring to me.

I always figured Cable being boring was the point of it, he's the straight man in the comedy duo. There to set up the punchline.

That said, classic Deadpool is great. But for stuff this decade, I enjoyed the C&D stuff better than I have with Way writing the current.

It was the only book I ever liked cable in.

He was this weird messianic figure of peace and forgiveness. It was like he realized how boring he was, and the cross he bore was that he had to work extra hard to be worth reading about.

And then Messiah Complex came along, and that all went out the window.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Deadpool was the best in Deadpool and Cable because he actually had an arc and a purpose. Ever since then it seems he has just been bouncing around.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I haven't checked it out for one reason:

What if someone found out I read a comic book about a stripper with weird demonish powers?

I am that much of a worry wort. If I had a girlfriend she'd kill me, etc.

Caveman Paws on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

I haven't checked it out for one reason:

What if someone found out I read a comic book about a stripper with weird demonish powers?

I am that much of a worry wort. If I had a girlfriend she'd kill me, etc.

My boyfriend - who bought me Batwoman #1 and got me into this whole thing - seriously thought I was just picking it up to jill off to as well.

TLB, I really wanted to like Voodoo myself but then issue #1 was just so bad!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I must alter my motw since I somehow missed that Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #5 came out this week!
    photo1.png
    I'm not going to tell you to buy this book. It would be a waste of breath and an insult to your intelligence.

Caveman Paws on
    voodoo is exactly the kind of ridiculous exploitation I love, when done properly

not gonna say the ron marz stuff was good, because it wasn't

but that don't mean you write off the character

who is a kung fu stripper that hunts demons

7656367.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    TLB go read what Aaron is doing with Hulk in the Avengers thread

it is

pretty rad

CYpGAPn.png
    I mean they are dropping the stripper aspect now if that bugs you, though to me that ruins the absurdity of the character to begin with.

Also Cable and Deadpool was the greatest Deadpool story ever told. Period.

7656367.jpg
    No the stripper aspect didn't bother me, it was that the most interesting characters were the backstage strippers who got two lines a piece

It was just direly dull

huntresssig.jpg
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    TLB go read what Aaron is doing with Hulk in the Avengers thread

it is

pretty rad

I did read it and am super jazzed for it

7656367.jpg
    Arivia wrote: »
    No the stripper aspect didn't bother me, it was that the most interesting characters were the backstage strippers who got two lines a piece

It was just direly dull

well yeah

that was a problem

someday dc will pay me the megabux to write voodoo properly

7656367.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

It was just direly dull

well yeah

that was a problem

To show them the Voodoo that you'd do?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

It was just direly dull

well yeah

that was a problem

To show them the Voodoo that you'd do?

That is both amazing and terrible.

Wasn't the whole stripper thing only in issue one where the character was using it to get information?

Was fairly sure that was it and then the comic moved on.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I must alter my motw since I somehow missed that Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #5 came out this week!
    photo1.png
    I'm not going to tell you to buy this book. It would be a waste of breath and an insult to your intelligence.

I can almost hear Robert Stack saying these lines.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I don't get how Ron Marz did so great with Witchblade, Artifacts, and everything else he touched at Top Cow, but then I hear Voodoo was awful. It seems like he would have been a great fit for the book.

edited May 2012
    I've often wondered if it has to do with DC specifically, he always mentions but doesn't go into details about certain things they expect of him so he tries to do what he's told and yet it ends so bad. Again the whole Ion mini.

Might be some are jerking him around due to the whole Hal thing of yesteryear or might be one of those things where working for DC is not as free and open as his work with Witchblade was.

It kind of reminds me of how Waid has made suggestions that some at DC are not too pleased with his works and tend to give him a hard time.

Cade on
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I mean they are dropping the stripper aspect now if that bugs you, though to me that ruins the absurdity of the character to begin with.

Also Cable and Deadpool was the greatest Deadpool story ever told. Period.
    You must be forgetting Deadpool/Daredevil '97.

I said what I said

7656367.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Adventure Time #4:
    Holy crap.

E8N89.jpg

And apparently the next arc will involve time travel.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Man, that's...actually horribly dark.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    zxgDe.jpg

Thankfully, she was right and everything turned out okay.

And man, this was probably the biggest victory for Finn & Jake yet.

They:
    -Punched the Lich into the Sun.
    -Fixed the massive chunk that was missing from the planet, and created a whole new continent to explore.
    -Got Finn to kiss a Princess.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Son of a bitch Adventure Time isn't coming out in trade till October. If the fourth issue drops to 2 dollars soon I'll just get the whole thing on comiXology.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I read Mind Mgmt on a whim at the shop the other day, because I wanted to see what kind of work Matt Kindt does before he starts on Frankenstein and hopefully becomes a presence at DC.

If you like comics as a medium at all, you need to go pick that issue up. In physical, single-issue format.

It's full of tons of backmatter and puzzles and fun little bits of info in the gutters and all sorts of other awesome stuff. On the letters page, he says that a lot of it won't make it to the trade, and I'm not sure how much is in the digital copies.

It's got a neat setup involving secret psi-ops agencies that battle eachother in the shadows, and a down-on-her-luck historian/author who is getting too close. In the first issue alone, you get all sorts of neat info about the Mind Mgmt agency even though it doesn't even show up in the main story this issue.

It's really, really cool and I can't press you guys enough to go pick it up and check it out.

Edit: I should also mention that the book is filled with backups, even on the inside covers, teasers, documents from the agency, and tiny hints and puzzles that will supposedly allow you to figure things out before they're actually revealed. Also, even some of the adds are for in-universe products,

HadjiQuest on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Start by introducing a Voodoo analogue to your Chupacomics.

Delduwath wrote: »

They should just do a Voodoo/Mystique mini the next time cross-company crossovers become a thing. Which shapeshifter can strip the fastest - out of actual clothes?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

They should just do a Voodoo/Mystique mini the next time cross-company crossovers become a thing. Which shapeshifter can strip the fastest - out of actual clothes?

I could hear Greg Land jumping to his feet in excitement from here.