As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scammed?

RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got a call from a very charismatic guy that claimed I had owed 21st Century Insurance $100, and now I owe the collection agency $100. When I asked him what agency, he said First Source Advantage LLC. He was a smooth talker and so he got my name and previous address (where I lived when I had 21st Century, and where my mom currently lives) and the last 4 digits of my social security number. I'm ashamed to say I had my credit card out before common sense caught up to me, but he got no part of that, at least. When I gave him my old address, I left off the city, and he said "And that's in Kansas City, right?" to which I corrected him to Wichita, which should have been a red flag, and eventually was. So he didn't know my city and it's for $100 even...

On top of all of that, most auto insurance I've ever had won't let it get to you owing them much more than $40 or $50 before they cut service completely, because you have to pay before you get the service (and the $40-$50 is more about continuing the service in case you wanted to renew), and its $100 even? That seems weird. A Google search of First Source Advantage LLC makes the company seem a little shady anyway, but possibly still running a legit business on top of that? I contacted 21st Century Insurance, but I'm not really sure what else to do to verify or disprove the claim.

So I guess I have two questions:
1) What kind of damage can they do with the information I gave them? Do I need to run damage control? If so, what should I do?

2) Does this sound Legit? Do I actually owe them $100? How do I legitimize or disprove their claim?

RadicalTurnip on

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Ask for proof of the debt in writing

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    I'd be putting a watch on any accounts opened with your information as well. This sounds like they were looking for your information for the purposes of identity theft.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is advice for all people ever, period. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever talk to debt collector's via any method but certified mail. Period. If someone calls you, just ask them to send you everything (including proof of debt, as the biggest, first thing) in writing via certified mail. Always send your responses the same way. Additionally, if you ever disagree with debt, you can't just ignore it. Google for the template, but there's a good form letter you can send in response that disputes what they've asserted and covers your ass.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, they may also have your complete SS# now too (or at least enough to get accounts reset to them -- address + last 4 digits is pretty much "hey I'm me!"), you may want to look into getting that changed.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've heard of First Source before. It (like other companies) is a debt collection firm owned by an attorney so that they can use his name on the letterhead to make it look like a lawyer is out to get you. It's bulldog collections and they can be pretty vicious about it.

Like a few people have said, get a certified letter of debt from them. Call them back, or wait for them to call you, record the call and ask for a certified letter of debt. If they refuse, or try to haggle with you, tell them no and request the letter again. If they continue to press the issue or make anything resembling a threatening remark (which they will do sometimes, telling you they'll ruin your credit score, etc, if they're stupid, which some are) tell them you are terminating the call, and hang up, and keep the recording.

Also, because of various laws from state to state, inform them beforehand that you are recording the call.

The reason for the certified letter is explained above. The reason for recording the call is because if they threaten you or refuse to send the letter, you'll need that down the road (doubtful though for $100)

Also, if you haven't done it yet, go to annualcreditreport.org (is that still the correct site H/A?) and check your credit reports from the big three to see if the debt is on there.

Two things... First off, they are a legitimate company, and they have info that they most likely got from your credit report, so no, they're "probably" not going to do anything shady with it. I wouldn't worry there.

Second, what did Century 21st say when you called them? Did they verify the debt with you there?

Third, sometimes, in rare cases, these companies buy blocks of debt from other companies regardless of whether or not it has been paid or cleared through time lapse or bankruptcy, and still call just trying to get money that you don't owe to see if you're gullible enough to pay it.

are YOU on the beer list?
    http://www.creditkarma.com/ is the other big one I see shilled out

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This is advice for all people ever, period. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever talk to debt collector's via any method but certified mail. Period. If someone calls you, just ask them to send you everything (including proof of debt, as the biggest, first thing) in writing via certified mail. Always send your responses the same way. Additionally, if you ever disagree with debt, you can't just ignore it. Google for the template, but there's a good form letter you can send in response that disputes what they've asserted and covers your ass.

My husband learned this the hard way. Debt collectors will sell you the moon or the Brooklyn Bridge if they think it will get them money. They will try to make deals with you they don't have the authorization to make and have no intention of honoring. Don't believe anything they say until they've written it down and sent it to you.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »
    I'd be putting a watch on any accounts opened with your information as well.

How exactly does one do this?

Change my SSN? I mean I'm worried about this, but doesn't changing your SSN include a *huge* amount of headache for what would be a "just-in-case" scenario anyway? I'm not completely opposed, but I'm basically looking for ways to make my Identity *harder* to thieve than the average Jo's by at least a decent margin. I certainly can't make it iron-clad without going off the grid or something, but I always assumed the last 4 digits were sorta the throw-away digits. I mean I guess with a lot of digging a person could figure out where I was born, which was not in the city I currently live (and get the first 3 digits, right?) but there would still be another 100 possibilities for the other two numbers (which isn't very much, but still quite a few to be a hassle).

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    http://www.creditkarma.com/ is the other big one I see shilled out

I use CK and it's good for getting a ballpark score and seeing in a vague manner what's changed in your report from month to month, but for details or an exact score you have to pay. Annual Credit Report gives you the official report from all three bureaus once a year.

Most companies use the last 4 digits as verification of identity.

So uh, he could do a lot of damage if he's got your current accounts, and now knows your address and potentially what services you use for things like cable (maybe he wants to order some channels or movies!) or whatever. Could even be your next door neighbor that went through your trash or something and wants to get a car loan (maybe found a document that has your first 5 digits).

saint2e wrote: »
    I'd be putting a watch on any accounts opened with your information as well.

How exactly does one do this?

Change my SSN? I mean I'm worried about this, but doesn't changing your SSN include a *huge* amount of headache for what would be a "just-in-case" scenario anyway? I'm not completely opposed, but I'm basically looking for ways to make my Identity *harder* to thieve than the average Jo's by at least a decent margin. I certainly can't make it iron-clad without going off the grid or something, but I always assumed the last 4 digits were sorta the throw-away digits. I mean I guess with a lot of digging a person could figure out where I was born, which was not in the city I currently live (and get the first 3 digits, right?) but there would still be another 100 possibilities for the other two numbers (which isn't very much, but still quite a few to be a hassle).

You don't need to change your SSN. If you get really worried, you can sign up for any one of the big credit monitoring agencies for about $10-$20 a month and they'll send you a detailed report every month along with emergency updates if someone tries to go out and like finance a boat with your ssn.

• RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    I couldn't find 21st Century's number, so I sent them an email. They just responded and want my old account number or whatever it's called, which I still have, but not here at work. When I get home I think I'll call them back up and have them send all my information to my old address (I gave them my new address, but not my apartment number...which I don't really feel inclined to give at this point. My old address is still my mom's). Would that make sense to do?

Dude, just give them your current address. Collection agencies run a full report on you and if they want to they'll start calling your sister that moved to Iowa two years ago to get a hold of you. They already know your new address if they have your current phone number where you get billed regularly.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    So I just got a call from a very charismatic guy that claimed I had owed 21st Century Insurance $100, and now I owe the collection agency $100. When I asked him what agency, he said First Source Advantage LLC. He was a smooth talker and so he got my name and previous address (where I lived when I had 21st Century, and where my mom currently lives) and the last 4 digits of my social security number.

waaaat

I realize that this is too late now, but just for future reference, do not give anybody this sort of information over the phone if they have called you. If they're a legitimate business that has their shit in order that is initiating contact, they should have all of the information they need - if they need to verify your identity, they should be reading that information to you and having you confirm that it's accurate or not.

Assume axiomatically that anyone attempting to get you to give any information to them after they have called you is a matchstick man.

With Love and Courage
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Ender wrote: »
    I realize that this is too late now, but just for future reference, do not give anybody this sort of information over the phone if they have called you.

Yeah, this.

I gave a stern talking to a CC rep from a credit card of mine. They kept asking me for some personal information (full social, I think) that they should have - I explained to them they should be telling their customers to not give out that info over the phone.

Like The Ender said, if they should have it, they will have it.

edit - So yeah, send a letter/form request to the credit agencies to flag your accounts so no one can open new activity. Go to any of their sites and look for fraud alert.

MichaelLC on
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Make sure it is actually your debt. It could be for someone with a similar name they have trouble locating and they just picked the first Mr R Turnip on google or something.