As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Oh man! Russian front? Awesome. Day one purchase for me.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Can someone lead me to that giant list of quotes of CoH units someone posted a year back? I can't find anything like that again. Also, Aungi was a great teammate last night, even if in the early game he irritated me a bit by building tank tracks in front of our bases...

We should try out Axis on easy or keep ramping up the difficulty over time on Allies.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Its nice that they bothered to add Russian, when the Modern Combat mod didn't add Chinese to the Chinese soldiers.

(Modern Combat is still a damn good mod though.)

Modern Combat's also pretty new--some of the vehicles aren't even properly textured. Maybe I'm being too forgiving, but it's still young, no?
    Prisca wrote: »
    Concept art from the press event:

post-95095-1337424037.jpg
    The badge worn is that of the Russian Liberation Army. So Ost-truppen essentially. Probably about the same level in terms of quality as Volksgrenadiers, only difference is they were equipped with Soviet gear, so PPSH41s and Mosin Nagants. Not sure how they will work though as such. Perhaps a doctrinal unit. Perhaps the first infantry for the wehrmacht

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?266510-Company-of-Heroes-2-Confirmed-in-PC-Gamer/page5&s=7f530e18bb46c5e007c5c972ab4c757c

I don't think they'll be Heer base infantry--too "out-of-character", it seems. Perhaps a doctrinal-specific option (along with SS foreign "volunteers"?), assuming doctrines are returning. That would certainly make sense. Cheap, disposable infantry available for those kind of tactics.

There are some outright wacky and even hilarious stories about the Liberation Armies organized by Germany in the later war. The Belarusian Liberation Army, the 30th SS, for example, was sent to fight in the West because the Germans knew they couldn't be counted on to be sufficiently anti-Semitic or to fight the Red Army. They promptly killed their German officers and surrendered everything, including equipment to the Free French. Of course, the problem was that, while Ukrainians were already organized into the Free French Foreign Legion, France didn't commonly recognize the existence of a Belarusian nationality (same for all western allies), and just assumed the men were Polish if not Ukrainians. Which meant they were eligible to be sent to the Polish Home Army (which seems fine, until you realize that Poland had annexed and colonized half of Belarus before 1941, and considered Belarusian nationalists a problem to be dealt with.)

Not a reliable fighting force, in any case. Kudos on them for going into that level of detail, though, I think we'll get an appropriate treatment for different organizations within the RKKA also if they're putting this much work into it.

Synthesis on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Hmm. I've thought of something. Say CoH2 goes the COD: WaW approach of having soviets vs Germans and later Americans Vs. Japanese. vCoH2 could just be Sovs and Germs, but an expansion or maybe army DLC ($5 for MP faction, $10 for campaign. $15 for faction AND campaign, or $30 for both factions and campaigns, all choices add extra units/mechanics to existing factions) introduce Japs and Yanks. If they wanted to get bigger, reintroduce Brits and another German faction (or perhaps Italy.)

4 factions of Sovs, Yanks, Japs and Germs would sit perfectly for me though.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Can someone lead me to that giant list of quotes of CoH units someone posted a year back? I can't find anything like that again. Also, Aungi was a great teammate last night, even if in the early game he irritated me a bit by building tank tracks in front of our bases...

We should try out Axis on easy or keep ramping up the difficulty over time on Allies.

Tank traps outside home base? I'm always down to play.

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    Can someone lead me to that giant list of quotes of CoH units someone posted a year back? I can't find anything like that again.

this would be awesome. or someone just tell me what halftrack sine gon means

Eh, look it up on a German translator. It probably means "Half track Operational" or "Halftrack ready to prowl" or something like that.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

http://mkgaming.com/pc/first-look-preview-company-of-heroes-2/
    New simulation effects include brand new unit physics affecting how the units move across various terrains. We saw gameplay footage on snowy battlefield where the troops were affected by the deep snow, moving much slower than on the roads, leading to improved decision making when ordering how your units approach enemy camps. All soldiers and vehicles will leave tracks on the ground, which will stay permanently throughout the particular mission. This works as an advantage when working out what direction an enemy is moving to, allowing you to tail them or stay clear
    Other simulation features include changeable weather effects such as snow that will affect the unit’s maneuverability, visibility and cover tracks. The “fog of war” visibility is all controlled using the new TrueSight system allowing the player to only see what the troops can see.

coh3.png
    coh2-3.png
    coh1.png

Prisca on
    Prisca wrote: »
    http://mkgaming.com/pc/first-look-preview-company-of-heroes-2/
    New simulation effects include brand new unit physics affecting how the units move across various terrains. We saw gameplay footage on snowy battlefield where the troops were affected by the deep snow, moving much slower than on the roads, leading to improved decision making when ordering how your units approach enemy camps. All soldiers and vehicles will leave tracks on the ground, which will stay permanently throughout the particular mission. This works as an advantage when working out what direction an enemy is moving to, allowing you to tail them or stay clear
    Other simulation features include changeable weather effects such as snow that will affect the unit’s maneuverability, visibility and cover tracks. The “fog of war” visibility is all controlled using the new TrueSight system allowing the player to only see what the troops can see.

coh3.png
    coh2-3.png
    coh1.png

And I just creamed.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    I want to see it in motion. Because those shots look exactly like COH1. I mean, they still look good but I'm not seeing where five years of graphical improvement is.

edited May 2012
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I want to see it in motion. Because those shots look exactly like COH1. I mean, they still look good but I'm not seeing where five years of graphical improvement is.

I concur. Though CoH screenies look much worse than the actual thing. In motion, CoH is pretty.

I thought of an idea for an expansion. A War of the Ring type game like in BFME2, which is kind of like Total War Lite, but for CoH2.

Kadoken on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    So, I'm super excited about this game.

A few months ago, I discovered a series of podcasts about the Eastern Front and was completely surprised at my lack of education on the second World War.

Turns out that...

* The Eastern Front was the largest war in human history by pretty much an order of magnitude. And given the advent of nuclear weapons, it had better be the largest land war ever in our history. If we are to survive as a civilization and perhaps even as a species, the Eastern Front will forever remain the largest land war ever fought.
    * The Russians were pretty much the ones who won the war against Germany. The Allied invasion of Normandy would not have gone as well as it did had not the Germany military been devastated in the East.
    * Germany actually backstabbed the Russians, when they could have continued their pact of non-aggression and turned their attention to Britain or elsewhere. It is probably the greatest betrayal in human history, and the most costly.

It makes for the greatest historical battlefield to turn into a game. But hopefully they will also be respectful to the massive loss of life that the Ostfront represents. These were two superpowers ruled by thoroughly evil men, and though the strategy is interesting, it represents the single greatest hardship for the common people of those two nations. To the survivors, I wonder if it would be like making a video game out of 9/11.

All I know is that the Siege of Leningrad mission is going to be enthralling.

I mean, I can imagine it being a recurring thing. Like every five or so missions in the main campaign you go back to the same group of Soviets on the same map, defending attackers and the map itself changes over time, becoming more ruined, covered in dynamic snow, and your units grow wearier and wearier.

They could really pull off attrition warfare with COH2.

Someone get Pharezon in here. We need him to get the hype train rolling.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I am so excited for this. I'm gonna go back and play through CoH again.

Has it been confirmed COH2 has co-op, like Dawn of War 2?

Because really that's the one thing missing from COH1.

Eh, I wouldn't like DoW2 co-op. don't get me wrong, in that game's single player playstyle, it was great. However, I hope CoH2 keeps base building and the co-op campaign would be the campaign except with two player balancing, more axis soldiers, perhaps another CPU with the first one, and the players would have two bases (or barring that, share one where they could simultaneously spawn units without waiting for he other.)

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Red Alert 3 did essentially that. All campaign missions had at least two allied players for coop, and if you were playing SP, the other player was filled with a CPU whom you can issue basic orders to. It worked alright.

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    coh23.jpg

Hirmetrium of the RelicNews forums has posted an in-depth review of the CoH2 press event:
    This, leads up to one of the areas Relic hope to improve the most (on what was already a very impressive accomplishment) – sound. Relic went out and recorded an MG42. They experienced it first hand, and have done so with other weapons. We we’re treated to a recording of the original COH MG42, followed by a real MG42. It was terrifying, and amazing all at once. Relic placed microphones carefully to catch the reverb of the gunfire, and it paid off.
    And the biggest news of all was revealed – brand new vehicle criticals. The one we were demonstrated was “abandoned”, where an SU-76 was left there to be picked up, similar to guns that currently drop on the ground. Specific examples were “What if you could loot a tiger or an IS-2? That would give you a new dynamic to fight around”.
    Mortars have been made RIDICULOUS. The explosive effects and sounds we’re shocking to the system, and looked amazing.
    Vaulting was shown off – already well covered – you click on a bit of wall and the men jump over. Squad AI did seem a LITTLE touch and go here, but they seem to be able to jump over them pretty well.
    True sight was shown off with a bunch of trees.
    MG42 noise was shown off – still rocked my ears off.
    Soviet MG is on wheels, has a largish squad (4-5?).
    Pak’s also have a visual upgrade – I didn’t see the shell travel, but the explosive effect of it against the tank armour was impressive.
    They have redoubled all efforts on AI – they know that a majority of players play vs. the computer, and want to recognise that. They also want the campaign AI to be decent, for the best possible experience. We saw some AI german soldiers flank a soviet MG, and proceed to miss (narrowly) with a grenade. Still some work to do there, Relic!
    They wanted tanks to feel like “30 tonne diesel snorting monsters”. Best line of the presentation.
    The demo closed with a german plane blowing a T34 sky high.
    Steamworks for DRM
    Campaign is purely Russian. Germans are obviously in for MP.
    There was talk of DLC – but they definitely aren’t confirming anything yet. It’s still very, very early days for them and they are still on approach to alpha – DLC is a long way off.
    A shorthand for why COH:O was killed was for COH2 to flourish. The team didn’t want to split efforts, and decided to focus on one product.
    DMO has caused a lot of restructuring for Relic. They are, naturally, pretty devastated, but are lucky that most of the COH team are intact and able to work on COH2.
    They are thrilled by the reaction to COH2. Nice to know they are wanted.
    Co-operative – I didn’t get a straight answer. The line was “they aren’t talking about that” and “they are looking at other products and aware people like to play with their friends”. I’d take that as a yes.
    Commander trees aren’t being talked about. They want to bring back “core mechanics”, and this is one of them. I suspect, given the hush hush, commander trees are going to see some changes, maybe big ones. The fact nothing was being said, and I was given the core mechanics line tells me they are working on it still.
    Base building is in. I was told “this isn’t going to be like DOW2, we want to recreate the experience of the original”. I’d say that bodes pretty well.

Prisca on
    I am so excited for this. I'm gonna go back and play through CoH again.

Let me know I alwats play on.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Campaign is purely Russian

Aww! The German campaign was my favorite.

Aww. The rest of that list is great, but I wanted a Wehrmacht campaign. The Panzer Elite campaign was
    pretty good.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73897/e3-2012-company-of-heroes-2

the more i read the more excited im getting, if i could preorder this i would right now. im gonna be playing some CoH this weekend, i want to do a 3v3 or 3v3 comp stomp ive barely touched those maps.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Campaign is purely Russian

Aww! The German campaign was my favorite.

I'm sure they'll put out a German campaign expansion pack in the future. It's Relic, these guys are the reigning God Kings of expansions.
    They are thrilled by the reaction to COH2. Nice to know they are wanted.
    Pfft, if they want to see a hype storm they should announce Homeworld 3. Now THAT would blow the internet up.

I hope the base building is a little better streamlined at least. I always thought it was incredibly clunky and got in the way in CoH. Seems like the vast majority of your resources went to just building shit instead of actually going out and fighting.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey, so I've been getting a really weird bug in the first CoH. It was fine all throughout the tutorial missions, but I've been trying to play the ohama beach mission, and whenever I move the camera off the beach area, the textures and level geometry goes crazy. Huge walls start appearing in the sky, and the textures seem to flash, and it's impossible to see anything. Selected infantry are still highlighted as they would be if you are viewing them through a building, so it seems like the level geometry is doing something weird. Also, when I load up the benchmark video, it's all fine until the AA guns start, and then these huge cylinders of blue texture pop out of the ground and shoot up into the sky. And not really in any way that relates to where the AA gun effects would be.

I'm not entirely sure what my computer specs are, but it's quite a good pc, and the benchmarking give me amazing framerate, so I'm thinking it's some setting that disagrees with windows 7 or something (I've had similar things happen to games in the past), or maybe it doesn't like my graphics card. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated. I couldn't quite find what I was looking for on the relic site.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Obligatory query: Are all your drivers updated?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Maybe. If they don't update automatically, probably not.

Edit: yeah, they are all updated.

Lalabox on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Verify the cache on Steam?

Are we playing some games this weekend then?

I'm tempted to reinstall but I only have Vanilla and Opposing Fronts.

Join us, drink the Cohlade. I'm trying to download RO2 to try, but I'll stop to play some matches. If you could, download Eastern Front mod too.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I am genuinely wondering whether they'll have enough appeal with just a Russian campaign.

I mean, I want to play it, but I also know a lot of people would look at that and say "I don't want to play those other guys, they were hardly involved in World War 2. They didn't save the day like we did!"

And then I punch something.

I'm always on steam playing, add me Hell_Rell

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Reinstalling

Really looking forward to CoH 2

Is there still a PA COH Steamgroup?

Honestly it's been ages since I played it online, I don't even know if I remember my Relic Online stuff.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Honestly it's been ages since I played it online, I don't even know if I remember my Relic Online stuff.

There is, but nobody's used it in... well did we ever really use it?

Most of the time games were organised via vent. Although if we're looking to organise via Steam, to be honest, I'd just as soon do it via the main PA group.

Still, it's here if you want it:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pacoh

EDIT: And judging by the membership, you're already a part of it. :P

subedii on
    I think that's an old Steam account. But anyways, it's gonna take me a couple of hours to redownload, so if anyone's on later we should do some 1v1s on strangoville.

I always ask people if they wanna play in the group, never works. I'm down for some games though. I usually do comp stomps or practice with axis now. I'm good against hard when I'm playing brits, wanna make my way to expert.

Anyone wanna play a game? Ill be on all day.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I can't play the original without some major installing.
    As my original is disk, and I have no idea where it is. Last time I did it I wasn't playing until about 2 days later.