As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A birthday dilemma

QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Simple question: What do you get a girl for her 18th birthday? She's been a really close friend for several years, but for some reason I can't think of anything to get her besides a book. She loves cooking and cats, if that's any help. But I don't want it to be something like a spatula or a cat calender; it would be nice if it was at least slightly meaningful.

Price is also a factor, since I don't have a job and hence very little income to speak of.

Anyhoo, I'd really appreciate any ideas you guys (or girls, rather) could give me! Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
QuarterMaster on

• Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    51WWS7VAGRL._AA240_.jpg it's a book... about cooking...with a cat.... problem solved?

in all seriousness...It's kind of hard to suggest things without knowing her. Do you know what kind of books she's into? does she have a favourite? if so is it a classic? could you find a really nice condition old copy of it?

if not erm, depending on how close you are to this girl (ie are you inseperable close friends who are in each others pockets or just good friends) you could get a nice frame with a fun picture of you guys and say a $10 book token or whatever to cover the book angle,

or just make an occasion out of her birthday, take her to a movie, and swing by the book store and let her choose a book...that can be fun too, and makes it more memorable.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wow, I actually really like that book. I'd already gotten her one (Ladder of Years, by Anne Tyler), but that is just too perfect. Plus it's really cheap at B&N.

We're definitely really close..as far as girls go, she's my best friend, and vice versa as far as I know. And I actually had thought about that picture idea, but unfortunately she has pretty much all "our" pictures. :p

Thanks though, I appreciate the help!

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, I actually really like that book. I'd already gotten her one (Ladder of Years, by Anne Tyler), but that is just too perfect. Plus it's really cheap at B&N.

We're definitely really close..as far as girls go, she's my best friend, and vice versa as far as I know. And I actually had thought about that picture idea, but unfortunately she has pretty much all "our" pictures. :p

Thanks though, I appreciate the help!

Even if she has all your "our" pictures, you can still go the frame route. I split a gift for 2 of my girl friends, and went with a really nice picture frame the first time, that you could put 2 pictures back to back on, and then a digital picture frame that played music and goes through pictures off a SD card. Might be out of your price range, but picture frames are definitely a good buy. (was for their 18th bdays as well)

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    As it turns out, I do have a couple pictures of us before a ball, which works well since she wanted those anyway. Got a nice frame for one of them and the rest will just be regular. Thanks for the idea!

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joshuadewaaljoshuadewaal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would try to personalize it more, by making it more home-made. I think everyone appreciates a gift that has a bit of TLC put into it.

you could glue things onto the picture frame like if you still have the tickets from the ball, anything to give it a personal touch.

joshuadewaal on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Um... just a warning about "hand-made" gifts. Unless you're an artisan craftsman, make sure that she likes amateur crap. I have to admit I'm kind of a princess, so if anyone ever gave me anything that was glued together with Elmer's, I'd have to set fire to it.

18th birthday? That means she's legal now, so you should give her a cat-shaped sex toy and a pack of condoms.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You could get her a kitten.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, the infractions.

Anyway, I think it's sweet that he wants to get her something personal for her 18th, and not a novelty sex toy.

Tell us how she likes it after you give her the gift.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, she seemed to like it quite a bit. I had edited the photo prior to printing it, so it had that kind of antique look, except it really made her dress glow, which I thought was cool. It went over well though, on top of the books and a couple other small things. Thanks a lot for the ideas, they definitely helped! ;)

And sex-toys were sort of unattainable for me, since I'm only 16.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mix tape

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A Sport Car would be a perfect gift. :-)

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    get her a kitten

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983