As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, as pointless as the hogwolf was and as annoying as the hub world shenanigans were, there was at least some fun to be had (usually during the day levels). 2006 is just horrible from start to fonish.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    as annoying as the hub world shenanigans were

TSR has popped up and ranted about the hub world complaints a few times. Almost everything in them is optional; you can just run to the next stage most of the time (unless you played the dramatically inferior Wii version).

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    as annoying as the hub world shenanigans were

TSR has popped up and ranted about the hub world complaints a few times. Almost everything in them is optional; you can just run to the next stage most of the time (unless you played the dramatically inferior Wii version).

Plus after you play a level once, you can select it instantly from the globe menu without even having to enter a hub.

I know it's unlikely, but sometimes I wonder if Unleashed is why they didn't farm out a Wii version of Generations to Dimps. So much of the whining about Unleashed stemmed from problems in Wii version being applied to the HD version.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Why?

The Steam Summer Sale is roughly 6-7 weeks away. Generations was quick to go on sale after its release, and Episode 2 will follow suit.

I'm sure Diablo 3 can last you most of that wait. Then just exercise a little restraint.

Oh I would have to get it on the 360 since I bought episode 1 on there too. And I doubt arcade games go on sale often or at all.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    QTEs are the bane of my existence and the two Tornado levels in Unleashed are far more frustrating than the normal fare. I was stuck on the first one for quite a while when the game came out and now I'm having trouble getting past the one right before the final continent.

I miss level skip codes.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Why?

The Steam Summer Sale is roughly 6-7 weeks away. Generations was quick to go on sale after its release, and Episode 2 will follow suit.

I'm sure Diablo 3 can last you most of that wait. Then just exercise a little restraint.
    Oh I would have to get it on the 360 since I bought episode 1 on there too. And I doubt arcade games go on sale often or at all.
    I am entirely willing to bet that the Steam Summer sale will have both episodes for at least the price of Episode 2 on 360.

Maybe even lower!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I see TSR is on the outs again... I hope it's not permanent.

Anyway, playing Episode II... I'm liking it, for the most part. That boss in the sand zone has me ready to say some very, very unkind things about SEGA though... things I won't say, but man, that stupid, long, tedious boss...

When it feels like your bosses need checkpoints, that's when you know you're doing it wrong.

Actually, I might be on the last hit, for all I know... but I keep dying because it won't let me recover many of my rings, so I can't find out. Eesh.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    With Transformed on the horizon, is it worthwhile playing the original, or should I just wait it out?

That being said, Wii U version confirmed:

ASR-Transformed-Wii-U-trailer-screencap.png

eeeeeeeeeeee

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    With Transformed on the horizon, is it worthwhile playing the original, or should I just wait it out?

That being said, Wii U version confirmed:

ASR-Transformed-Wii-U-trailer-screencap.png

eeeeeeeeeeee

Am I surprised? No, no not really. :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    raaaaaad

I hope the Wii U has enough extra juice to run it at 60fps.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Sooo... over the weekend, I got a Samsung 55" LED 3DTV for the living room, and a Playstation 3D TV for my bedroom, and they've both been blowing me away. However, aside from 2 Xbox 360 games and my PS3, I didn't have a lot of stuff to throw at my 3DTVs. The last time I updated my PC was 4 or 5 years ago, and I've been rocking a dual 8800 GT setup since. Those 2 8800 GT cards have served me very well - they'll still run pretty much everything I throw at them, at at-least 720p, and still look better than the Xbox 360 or PS3. However, Starwars 1313 at E3 showed me that, while my video cards might equate to top-tier Xbox360/PS3 generation graphics, they clearly aren't shit compared to next-gen, which has already arrived on the PC. Moreover, my dual 8800 GT setup isn't 3D compatible.

Thus, it was only natural for me to buy a new video card today. I got a Radeon 7970 and a few more gigs of memory, thinking that'll hold me over barring a CPU upgrade until at least Starwars 1313 is released. While playing stuff like Crysis at 1080p with every graphical option ticked is a thrill, the main reason I picked up this sort of card is because they're supposed to scream at 3D.

Which leads me back to Sonic Generations. I could run Generations at 720p at a near-constant 60 fps on my dual 8800GTs, with the framerate only dipping around water. That was respectable for a half-decade-old video card setup, and they still outperformed the console versions. The 7970, however, finally allows me to tick that "stereoscopic 3D" option. I've been playing the game for the last several hours at 1080p in 3D, and jesus christ this has to be the prettiest video game I've ever personally played. My 7970 is a beast, and the framerate never dips, not even during chemical plant zone or the perfect chaos fight. For comparison, I threw in the 360 version and ran it in 3D on the playstation 3D TV and walked between rooms to compare. The console version's low framerate is ten times more noticable in 3D. It looks far more jerky. The very high framerate of the PC version makes the 3D effect a lot more convincing.

I can't express in words just how jaw dropping this game looks on a high-end PC in 3D. When I first got my TV, Uncharted 3 made me saw "wow" outloud, but it doesn't hold a candle to Generations. My jaw very literally dropped. The most impressive zone that I played has to be Speed Highway Zone - those areas that drop you straight down are worlds more impressive with depth behind them, seeing the ground below screaming closer in 3D. I would say that this game is my killer app for my 3DTV thus far. If stores like bestbuy really want to sell people on 3DTVs, I'd say building a rig for Sonic Generations and putting it on display would probably move a few units. It's pretty breath taking.

• Options
    I'm not sure if it's any good or not, but Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is free on iOS today.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    The iOS version isn't all that great.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    TSR that sounds awesome. Starting to wish I could get my hands on a high-end PC now. :S

• Options
    Igort wrote: »
    TSR that sounds awesome. Starting to wish I could get my hands on a high-end PC now. :S

Between the enormous leap in framerate and resolution and the 3D effect, it feels like something I would call "Next-gen." This is a noticeable step up from the console versions, especially in 3D. I've been going out of my way to find some PC games that support 3D and are sufficiently pretty to try to flex the muscle of this video card. There is a middleware solution which will add 3D to any game, but the results are better if the game is designed with 3D in mind.

When you look at it from a technological standpoint, going from 720p to 1080p 3D is an enormous leap in power. When something renders in 3D, it renders at double the horizontal resolution, so it's not 1920x1080, but rather 3840x1080. That's a difference between 2,073,600 * 60 pixels per second, and 4,147,200 * 60 pixels per second, basically double the resolution. It's all impressive stuff. I can't wait for the Sonic Unleashed mod to finish so I can play those levels with this image quality in 3D.

• Options
    Sounds cool beans. Every now and then I kick around getting back into PC gaming, but I don't really have the space, time, or money for it anymore.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Yay, TSR is back!

And that 3D setup sounds pretty cool. I can take or leave 3D, but it's always cool to at least give it a try.

On another note: Besides ASR Transformed, don't we usually have another Sonic game announced by this point for the end of the year? Last year was Generations, and Colors was before that... and I think Unleashed before that?

Feels... ominous.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    On another note: Besides ASR Transformed, don't we usually have another Sonic game announced by this point for the end of the year? Last year was Generations, and Colors was before that... and I think Unleashed before that?

Feels... ominous.

Unleashed was 2008 and Colours was 2010 so they took a year off in 2009. Colours and Generations came out so close to each other because two different teams worked on them basically side-by-side. Who knows what they're up to now, but Generations was announced in April last year and then came out in November so I think if they had a big Sonic title planned for this year we've had heard about it by now.

I imagine after Generations Sonic Team don't want to rush another Sonic game out and are probably carefully considering where to go with the series now.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    kind of surprised there's no Generations Wii U port, but there's nothing unusual with no mainline Sonic game this year. The quick jump from Colors -> Generations was an exception. Although you could count Episode 2 as this year's Sonic.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed Generations in 3D. I could only crank it out at 720p on my pc, but it ran at a fairly consistent 60fps when I did. I can't remember the stage but the section where you're running down the side of a building was absolutely jaw dropping.

A bit off topic but Motorstorm Apocalypse is great on PS3 in 3D, as is the Motorstorm: 3D download on the PSN. The only games I've played on the PC in 3D are Trine 2 (lovely, lovely, lovely), Alice: Madness Returns (loved the game and 3D looked pretty but ran like crap on my poor PC) and Sonic.

I'm picking up a 3D projector mid-way through next year, recently mounted a 2D projector on the ceiling and getting loads of use out of it so I'm dying to try out 3D.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Generations is a case where I would be completely happy with a sequel that was exactly the same but with new stages.

Or DLC.

And I hate DLC.

• Options

Feels... ominous.

Unleashed was 2008 and Colours was 2010 so they took a year off in 2009. Colours and Generations came out so close to each other because two different teams worked on them basically side-by-side. Who knows what they're up to now, but Generations was announced in April last year and then came out in November so I think if they had a big Sonic title planned for this year we've had heard about it by now.

I imagine after Generations Sonic Team don't want to rush another Sonic game out and are probably carefully considering where to go with the series now.

2009:

Sonic_and_the_Black_Knight_Cover.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

Feels... ominous.

2009:

No. Just... just no.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2012
    I don't know what you're trying to say, but Sonic and the Black Knight was the 2009 Sonic game.

This year it's Sonic 4 Episode 2

Honestly, I'd say that off years with side-games are superior to just pumping out mediocre games in the main series.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'd rather them take a year off and release nothing at all than release a mediocre side game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    It's time for a reboot of Sonic 4.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    It's time for a reboot of Sonic 4.

You mean Sonic 5?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    they should pull a megaman 9 and just do a retro sonic with sprites and old school music

• Options

Feels... ominous.

2009:

I was only going with "main" Sonic titles, which, now I think about it, is a whole other kettle of fish.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Well Obviously this means there'll be a Colours 2 WiiU launch title.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    I've been playing Sonic Heroes. I want to sue Sega for their false advertising in Sonic Generations, this game is fucking atrocious.

Gone.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Sonic Heroes is so thoroughly mediocre that it remains as the one mainline Sonic game I have not been able to finish. This is counting 2k6.

• Options
    It's not that it's mediocre, it just feels glitchy and unfinished.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    EvilRedEye wrote: »
    I've been playing Sonic Heroes. I want to sue Sega for their false advertising in Sonic Generations, this game is fucking atrocious.

False advertising?

• Options

False advertising?

I think he means that because the Sonic Heroes level in Generations is good, it implies that Sonic Heroes itself is good.

Which is, of course, not the case.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I wasn't a huge fan of the Heroes level in Generations. Way, waaaaaay too many opportunities to hurl yourself into a watery grave. I honestly wouldn't have minded a few invisible walls there.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

False advertising?

I think he means that because the Sonic Heroes level in Generations is good, it implies that Sonic Heroes itself is good.

Which is, of course, not the case.

Hah, then how did he feel about Crisis City? :P

Best level, worst game.

I still haven't finished Episode 2, but lemme just say this - the Metal Sonic race was fucking impossible. Until I thought to roll up with Tails and boom, first attempt, done. D:

I am still curious if it's doable without doing the combination move - a few times I got out the final gate first and he just accelerated past me for the win.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I wasn't a huge fan of the Heroes level in Generations. Way, waaaaaay too many opportunities to hurl yourself into a watery grave. I honestly wouldn't have minded a few invisible walls there.

I've seen a run where it was way, waaaaaay too many opportunities to run across the top of the water and own the level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7N3n-XyhDo

One person's obstacle is another person's opportunity, I guess.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Just shipped today:

Spoiler'd for huge
    Cx5iq.jpg

In the mail from Ireland on its way to me. Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Drift 2 for the Sega Master System.

Both games are game gear exclusives.

Sorry for the blurry photo, the guy who took them for me was in a rush.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Just shipped today:

Spoiler'd for huge
    Cx5iq.jpg

In the mail from Ireland on its way to me. Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Drift 2 for the Sega Master System.

Both games are game gear exclusives.

Sorry for the blurry photo, the guy who took them for me was in a rush.

Huh, are those official releases or homebrewed carts?

FU7kFbw.png