As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Why oh why is my water pump driven by the timing belt instead of a drive belt?
    Is there any advantage to that from a reliability/design perspective? It certainly makes replacing the water pump a LOT harder.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    Is there any advantage to that from a reliability/design perspective? It certainly makes replacing the water pump a LOT harder.

Serpentine belts are more prone to failure. Still seems like not a great choice. Maybe they did it for packaging reasons.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I WANT! :O

2z6gi68.png

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Man, you better really like your passenger if you drive that thing.

nibXTE7.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Or not eat White Castle the day before.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Man, you better really like your passenger if you drive that thing.
    Or not eat White Castle the day before.

That's what the bed in the back of the truck is for. I just hope they have a good enough grip to hold onto to those little rails.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

Because Germans be cray-z yo.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

...and apparently the Japanese because this is on my '01 Subaru.

MyDcmbr wrote: »

...and apparently the Japanese because this is on my '01 Subaru.

Oh really?

Interesting...

Flat 4 then right? Probably is for packaging reasons.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Two new tires to replace the bald ones on the front of my NB.

Yeah, I haven't been rotating like I should. Still, I got nearly 50k miles out of them.

It's amazing the difference new shoes makes on responsiveness.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    edited May 2012
    So I'm trying to help a friend replace his xterra. He drives a pretty high amount at about 25k miles per year. The real problem is he wants better gas mileage but he also wants it to still be at least somewhat sporty. I'm having some trouble coming up with some good solutions for him since 'sporty' and 'has decent fuel economy' are usually complete opposites.

Here are his parameters which are pretty flexible except for the cost:
    Used $10-14k
    MPG - high 20s city / mid 30s highway.
    Somewhat sporty. Must be a manual.
    Some modicum of cargo space would be nice so fold flat rear seats would be rather useful.
    This last one is a guess but I doubt he wants anything more than 5-6 years old with more than ~60k miles on it.

So far he has been looking at used MINI / MINI Clubman but those might be a little too expensive for him. We've also been looking at mazda3s. I'm guessing with his storage requirements some sort of hatch or wagon would be good. I've also thought maybe some 2007 Ford Focus hatch might work.

CommunistCow on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So I'm trying to help a friend replace his xterra. He drives a pretty high amount at about 25k miles per year. The real problem is he wants better gas mileage but he also wants it to still be at least somewhat sporty. I'm having some trouble coming up with some good solutions for him since 'sporty' and 'has decent fuel economy' are usually complete opposites.

Here are his parameters which are pretty flexible except for the cost:
    Used $10-14k
    MPG - high 20s city / mid 30s highway.
    Somewhat sporty. Must be a manual.
    Some modicum of cargo space would be nice so fold flat rear seats would be rather useful.
    This last one is a guess but I doubt he wants anything more than 5-6 years old with more than ~60k miles on it.

So far he has been looking at used MINI / MINI Clubman but those might be a little too expensive for him. We've also been looking at mazda3s. I'm guessing with his storage requirements some sort of hatch or wagon would be good. I've also thought maybe some 2007 Ford Focus hatch might work.

How about the Nissan Juke?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    That looks like it might meet most of his criteria except price.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    He's lucky "doesn't look like a hideous moon buggy" isn't one of his requirements.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    My vote goes for newest/lowest miles mazda3 you can find. If he had a little more scratch I'd recommend 2008.5 GTI ('06-08 have the timing belt FSI, newer have the timing chain TSI).

• SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    2009ish Impreza wagon? Somwhat fun, comes in manual, pretty good mileage and cargo space.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Subaru Impreza is the answer to every question. It does everything.

Not that I'm biased.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    VW GTI?

Dunno if the Mark V's are down in that price range yet, but a Mark IV with the "legendary" 1.8 Turbo is pretty quick, and gets ~30 mpg.

Just make sure if he's looking at one, that the timing belt has been replaced recently (documented) or figure about $800 off the asking price to cover getting it done.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    My vote goes for newest/lowest miles mazda3 you can find. If he had a little more scratch I'd recommend 2008.5 GTI ('06-08 have the timing belt FSI, newer have the timing chain TSI).

This or the newest focus he can find.

My wife's focus gets 32-35 mpg on the highway and is pretty reliable

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Ugly though it may be, it's really hard for me to hate the Juke, when I know there are a handful of them with Skyline GT-R drivetrains installed in them.

550 HP, Twin Turbocharged, AWD wonkey looking little cross-over/super-car? Yeah, that will put a smile on my face any day.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    And for only $600,000!

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm all for the Juke r, but yeah, there are way better ways to spend 600 grand.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I'm all for the Juke r, but yeah, there are way better ways to spend 600 grand.

Like packing the W12 out of a Bentley Continental GT in the back of a MkV GTI!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voUq_A0JnNA

nibXTE7.png
    Ford, for a very limited while in the 60s, had a V-12. I had the chance to buy one once, but it was wweeeeelllll out of my price range, as they're practically historic now.
    It would have been fun to stuff one of those into a Mustang. And then add a turbo or two.

Ford, for a very limited while in the 60s, had a V-12. I had the chance to buy one once, but it was wweeeeelllll out of my price range, as they're practically historic now.
    It would have been fun to stuff one of those into a Mustang. And then add a turbo or two.

Any info on that motor? I'd love to read about it, but all I can find V12 wise for Ford are the flathead 12s they put in the Zephyrs in the 30s and 40s, an aircraft engine (that became a tank engine) from the same period, and the engine they built for the GT90 concept car.

They had a handful of experiments in their "Fuck you, Ferrari" days. The guys who have (or had, I think they were sold back to Ford for $Texas as Ford developed the GT) the rights to GT-40, the ones who bought all the GT-40 stuff from Ford, including all the design documents and prototypes had them. One of the guys had a bunch of them, and didn't have a whole lot of room to store them. Ford ended up scrapping any ideas for the V-12s as they were just two of the V-6s welded together, and the V-8s were smaller and produced as much, if not more, torque than the V-12s did. not to mention the V-12s were much larger, which would have weighed the GT-40 down even more.
    The same guys also had the four-valves-per-head racing engines (exactly what they call it escapes me at the moment), as well as some early OHC engines, with some blueprints of DOHC designs that they were thinking of using.

They had a handful of experiments in their "Fuck you, Ferrari" days. The guys who have (or had, I think they were sold back to Ford for $Texas as Ford developed the GT) the rights to GT-40, the ones who bought all the GT-40 stuff from Ford, including all the design documents and prototypes had them. One of the guys had a bunch of them, and didn't have a whole lot of room to store them. Ford ended up scrapping any ideas for the V-12s as they were just two of the V-6s welded together, and the V-8s were smaller and produced as much, if not more, torque than the V-12s did. not to mention the V-12s were much larger, which would have weighed the GT-40 down even more.
    The same guys also had the four-valves-per-head racing engines (exactly what they call it escapes me at the moment), as well as some early OHC engines, with some blueprints of DOHC designs that they were thinking of using.

I also found some info about a V12 F1 engine developed by Ford that wound up not being as good as the Cosworth V8 is was designed to replace.

If you want a Frankenstein project, you're probably off starting with an engine that was produced in at least double-digit numbers. Like an Aston V12 (sort of made by Ford), or a Merc or BMW V12.

Nah, it was mostly a "hey, I have an old Ford V-12 for sale. You interested?" kind of thing.

Nah, it was mostly a "hey, I have an old Ford V-12 for sale. You interested?" kind of thing.

If it was 60s era, it was probably the F1 engine. That would have made a very interesting mustang.

• Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    Hey car thread, I need a recommendation on a boring family car. I have three or so in mind, but I want to see what others can come up with. Here's what we're looking for:
    $20-25K
    Good MPG
    Sedan or Wagon style
    Spacious/Enough room for three kids in the back

So, it doesn't have to be anything especially sporty or powerful, but I would prefer something that didn't make me feel like getting out and pushing would be better. Right now we only have one kid but plan on expanding to a small entourage sometime in the near future, so something with plenty of space in the back so I'm not pushed up against the steering wheel would be nice. My wife and I are of average height so it doesn't have to be especially crazy huge. We already have an SUV in mind for the other car, so we're good on that front. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for (in no particular order):
    Subaru Legacy
    Volkswagen Passat

Hyundai Sonata Turbo
    Kia Optima Turbo

Steam
    Ford Focus, or Mazda3

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Not sure if it will be big enough for kids 10+ old, but 10 and under the Hyundai Accent (sedan or hatchback) might do the trick. Great mileage, handles pretty well, good acceleration (not sure if it will stay that way loaded down with 5 people+gear) and a top speed well above my old ford station wagon.

Not sure if it will be big enough for kids 10+ old, but 10 and under the Hyundai Accent (sedan or hatchback) might do the trick. Great mileage, handles pretty well, good acceleration (not sure if it will stay that way loaded down with 5 people+gear) and a top speed well above my old ford station wagon.

Hyundai Elantra Touring also might not be a bad idea to check out.

Steam
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Aren't they doing a redesign of the Ford Fusion for 2013? A bit larger than the Mazda3/Focus set of cars. SE with V6/auto MSRPS at 25k

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    Aren't they doing a redesign of the Ford Fusion for 2013? A bit larger than the Mazda3/Focus set of cars. SE with V6/auto MSRPS at 25k

Yep, looks pretty nice too imho

• Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    The new Fusion looks a lot better than it did. I prefer blackout grills to the chrome mess that's been the trend for the past few years. Also I haven't really looked into Kia, but maybe they're worth a closer look. Hyundai's are just meh.

The new Fusion looks a lot better than it did. I prefer blackout grills to the chrome mess that's been the trend for the past few years. Also I haven't really looked into Kia, but maybe they're worth a closer look. Hyundai's are just meh.

2011_kia_optima_f34_fd_1214105_717.jpg

Steam
    Hey car thread, I need a recommendation on a boring family car. I have three or so in mind, but I want to see what others can come up with. Here's what we're looking for:
    $20-25K
    Good MPG
    Sedan or Wagon style
    Spacious/Enough room for three kids in the back

So, it doesn't have to be anything especially sporty or powerful, but I would prefer something that didn't make me feel like getting out and pushing would be better. Right now we only have one kid but plan on expanding to a small entourage sometime in the near future, so something with plenty of space in the back so I'm not pushed up against the steering wheel would be nice. My wife and I are of average height so it doesn't have to be especially crazy huge. We already have an SUV in mind for the other car, so we're good on that front. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for (in no particular order):
    Subaru Legacy
    Volkswagen Passat

The Passat Wagon is really nice. You'll have to get a used one though, since they didn't bring the 2012+ models to the US. But even then, a ~3 year old Passat Wagon with low miles will run you $11-19k or so, depending on the options.

nibXTE7.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

Yep, looks pretty nice too imho

Apparently 12.5% ownership in Aston Martin lets you use their front end.