As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Books on Mythology?

OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Just wondering if anyone could help recommend me some books on world mythology? I've already got ones covering Norse (Poetic/Prose Eddas) and was just looking for books that go in depth about mythology in rest of the world (Celtic, Roman, Greek, Japanese, etc)

sigsh.gif
Overlord on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Not quite what you want but The Hero With a Thousand Faces is pretty dope.

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hero with a Thousand Faces is also academically discredited, though still fun to read, and doesn't summarise various mythologies so much as it tries to mash them all up into something they aren't.
    For an overview, try the Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology, and Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable.
    Beyond that, the Wordsworoth/British Folklore Society line of books (which is about ten in number) has some excellent titles
    If you're going for the Eddas, I assume you're after original text, in which case the Egyptian Book of the Dead is a pretty obvious candidate, as is the Mabinogion for Celtic.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    sacreandprofanesacreandprofane Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edith Hamilton's Mythology is a both an excellent and rich text on Greek, Norse, and Roman myth. Hamilton summarizes the myth and presents to you the highlights. It's been a classic "go-to" in academia for years.

sacreandprofane on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    Ovid's Metamorphoses is pretty much all of Roman mythology (not counting the Aeneid), written by a roman poet. Obviously original text, but that's the best place to start in my experience.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    Bulfinch's Mythology (by Thomas Bulfinch) is pretty much the gold standard for Greek and Roman these days. If you want something a little lighter / easier reading, The Gods of the Greeks by Kerenyi isn't too bad either - just Greek in there, though. Hamilton's Mythology is okay as an introduction but doesn't delve too deep into anything. I liked Hamilton a lot as a child, but once I started getting more interested in things, I wasn't finding enough of interest in Hamilton. Bulfinch does a better job with things at the adult level.

Ovid's Metamorphoses, as recommended above, is excellent. I recommend the recent translation by Allen Mandelbaum; he's a very good translator.

If you haven't read The Arabian Nights' Entertainment (May also be titled "One Thousand and One Nights" or just "The Arabian Nights" - title differs based on edition), read it - that's a great look at Arabian myths and legends.

• Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the recommendations everybody! :) You've been alot of help.

sigsh.gif
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Seconding Bulfinch's Mythology. It's also got Robin Hood, Beowulf, King Arthur, and Orlando. It doesn't really explain them, but it's a great reference.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Long ago I found D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths and D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths they are pretty good explaining the stories and tales

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Someone up above recommended THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES, to which I say, Roger That. Everything by Joseph Campbell is excellent.

Andrew Lang's FAIRY BOOK collection -- there are 12 of them, all named after colors, ie RED FAIRY BOOK, LILAC FAIRY BOOK, etc., but the entire collection in one volume can also be found-- offers a range of myths and fairy tales from all over the place; Russian, Norse, English, African, Persian. Plus the artwork is freaky. A check of Amazon shows that a Kindle edition of the entire collection can be had for .99 .

Fairchild on
  • Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    For Greek Mythology, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Classical Mythology is actually pretty good.

Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
    KrubixCubeKrubixCube JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edith Hamilton's Mythology is a both an excellent and rich text on Greek, Norse, and Roman myth. Hamilton summarizes the myth and presents to you the highlights. It's been a classic "go-to" in academia for years.

This. It's a great book, I took a mythology class back in high school and we used this text and I kept it =D Does anyone know a good book for Norse and Japanese myths in the vein of the Mythology book mentioned above?

KrubixCube on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    I have a book called The Encyclopedia of World Mythology, edited by Arthur Cotterell. Had it for years, I think it's pretty great.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    KrubixCubeKrubixCube JapanRegistered User regular
    I have a book called The Encyclopedia of World Mythology, edited by Arthur Cotterell. Had it for years, I think it's pretty great.

who's the author?

sig.gif