As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    I dunno, there's still all that same amount of low magic running around the world.

Most of the Big Magic seems to be basically the same as miracles - its practitioners can make it happen, but they don't understand why. I mean there's a dude who can bring people back to the life, but all he does is his same old rites that he always used to, isn't even very religious, he's got no idea what's changed. And it's not like it's happening to all red priests who're doing the same rites, just him.

But are there any examples of them mistaking science for magic? In the show, and so far in the book, there haven't been any. The blacksmith doesn't suggest, for example, that he uses magic to color his armor--he simply uses advanced techniques. But its specifically magic that allows him to work Valyrian steel.

So I'm honestly curious if there's any examples later on that are them strictly misinterpreting a scientific process with a magical one for long periods of time. Because if there aren't, then that would suggest that the spells they use to reforge the swords isn't just a special smelting technique to preserve the alloy.

As previously mentioned, the drownings in the Iron Islands come to mind.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Time for Blackwater. It's been a while since I was this excited to see people being burned alive.

Um, I mean, excited for an episode of TV. Yeah, that's it.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    One of my favorite episodes yet... filled with awesome. Finally more Bronn!

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Jesus christ what a great effin episode. I am so giddy right now.

The rains of castemere!

The rains of castemere!

The rains of castemere + boobies! so even more awesome!

... well, I'm somehow ok with now having the chain now.

Holy crap.

Jubal77 wrote: »

The rains of castemere!

The rains of castemere + boobies! so even more awesome!

The one in the end credits was amazing.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Well, I'm exhausted

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I like how they introduced it as "The Lannister Song," it's a good setup for it being sung at the Red Wedding, so the audience will be like...fuck, this was set up by the Lannisters wasn't it?

Steam: Spawnbroker
    This episode had everything i wanted to see and i kept thinking to myself "oh shit, people on the thread talked about these same things." Will they ever sing a song like Rains of Castemere, will Tyrions face get cut, will they show the chain?

Every major twist that i had hoped for was shown, i love how Loras rode in with Renlys armor on towards the end. The acting by Tyrion and Ceresi were great as well, i really liked her conversations with Sansa.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So it seems they definitely opted not to go with the maiming.

So it seems they definitely opted not to go with the maiming.

I expected that really. Much cheaper to put on a scar than a whole side of the face makeup.

I like the clever mislead last episode making it seem like Tywin was heading out to face Robb, so he makes an extremely impressive intro here.

I also liked the subtle introduction to the Hound's fear of fire when he flinches away from the torch.

And the way the throne room looked with the fires burning.

Also the two jabs they made at the "Let me tell you a story!" trope this series has.

Actually, there are quite a few things I loved in this episode. The one thing I didn't is I don't think the pacing worked between the fight and the Cersei stories. I don't think I would have cut anything, though, so it's not a big gripe.

plus why in the world would you want to make it harder for peter dinklage to emote

Imagine him trying to do that scene back in ep 201 when he comes into the council chambers wearing face makeup

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I didn't really like the "Oh sure let me tell you about how I - " *INTERRUPTION*

Everything else I loved a lot

Especially Cersei and Sansa's scenes

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    The only bit that annoyed me was that its like they didn't prepare for the battle at all.

Oh, ladders? Yeah, we don't have any poles to push them away. Oh, a beach that they're sure to come down? Let's not make that an utter bitch to land on and advance on.

But that's only because I realize they did it like that for filmability, and its sad to see what could have been an even better battle simplified so much.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    Watching the replay now. I got so absorbed by the battle that I forgot how much I love the pre-battle scenes.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    The only bit that annoyed me was that its like they didn't prepare for the battle at all.

Oh, ladders? Yeah, we don't have any poles to push them away. Oh, a beach that they're sure to come down? Let's not make that an utter bitch to land on and advance on.

But that's only because I realize they did it like that for filmability, and its sad to see what could have been an even better battle simplified so much.

How did they make beaches a pain in the medieval era? It's not like you could really mine them. Caltrops, I guess.

How did they make beaches a pain in the medieval era? It's not like you could really mine them. Caltrops, I guess.

Obstacles, wooden stakes, block off beach with rocks make ships harder to land on.

Realistically you just didn't try to have a beach landing into a battle in the first place. No way to command it, no way to see what's happening, ships all at the mercy of a rough tide or errant breeze.

edited May 2012
    Kind of bummed we didn't seen Renly's big ole stag helmet riding around just to confuse the newbies. :P

Unless I missed it, but I think it'd be pretty notable. To be fair, introducing a bit Tyrell is no good, especially with Mace and the Queen of Thorns needing to be around next year.

enlightenedbum on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Kind of bummed we didn't seen Renly's big ole stag helmet riding around just to confuse the newbies. :P

Unless I missed it, but I think it'd be pretty notable. To be fair, introducing a bit Tyrell is no good, especially with Mace and the Queen of Thorns needing to be around next year.

It was a very modestly antlered helmet.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i just figured they'd switch it to loras

Renly had a big crazy antlered helmet, didn't he? Or am I nuts.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This episode shows how well Denisof and company are tweaking the novels just so, and still maintaining a high level of consistency. I was wondering how they'd get around the maiming of Tyrion; I was even beginning to think it wasnt going to happen.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    they did it

they did it

that was fucking PERFECT

Next week's synopsis has the meanest line to poor newbies:
    Brienne silences Jaime.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Indeed. I felt bad for Stannis that he didn't get his justice.

And I forget who it was that tried to off Tyrion; they really need to give the Kingsguard some bite beyond Ser Meryn.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    They made up for the lack of Stannis screen time here. He was just incredible in the battle. The last shot of him was heartbreaking.

edited May 2012

Renly had a big crazy antlered helmet, didn't he? Or am I nuts.

He did, I'm saying the helmet Loras wears in the show was modestly antlered. I missed them entirely the first time through.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ok so now that my testosterone has simmered down, a few thoughts

what was up with the sandor/bronn thing? grrm wrote it, so maybe it's just his way of saying 'these two ought to clash...'

bronn seemed to pick up on clegane's ill intentions very quickly... was it really just the hound being in a bad mood and wanting to get the killing started before the enemy arrived

or is grrm alluding to cersei or joff having ordered him to kill bron to leave tyrion defenseless?

also, who was that who walked into the bar with sandor? he seemed kind of young. i didn't know if he was just an unnamed squire or what

ED! wrote: »
    Indeed. I felt bad for Stannis that he didn't get his justice.

And I forget who it was that tried to off Tyrion; they really need to give the Kingsguard some bite beyond Ser Meryn.

But Loras got his!

Well, some of it anyway

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I dunno, there's still all that same amount of low magic running around the world.

Most of the Big Magic seems to be basically the same as miracles - its practitioners can make it happen, but they don't understand why. I mean there's a dude who can bring people back to the life, but all he does is his same old rites that he always used to, isn't even very religious, he's got no idea what's changed. And it's not like it's happening to all red priests who're doing the same rites, just him.

But are there any examples of them mistaking science for magic? In the show, and so far in the book, there haven't been any. The blacksmith doesn't suggest, for example, that he uses magic to color his armor--he simply uses advanced techniques. But its specifically magic that allows him to work Valyrian steel.

So I'm honestly curious if there's any examples later on that are them strictly misinterpreting a scientific process with a magical one for long periods of time. Because if there aren't, then that would suggest that the spells they use to reforge the swords isn't just a special smelting technique to preserve the alloy.

As previously mentioned, the drownings in the Iron Islands come to mind.

Like real medieval types, they call anything they don't understand magic.

Organichu wrote: »

what was up with the sandor/bronn thing? grrm wrote it, so maybe it's just his way of saying 'these two ought to clash...'

bronn seemed to pick up on clegane's ill intentions very quickly... was it really just the hound being in a bad mood and wanting to get the killing started before the enemy arrived

or is grrm alluding to cersei or joff having ordered him to kill bron to leave tyrion defenseless?

also, who was that who walked into the bar with sandor? he seemed kind of young. i didn't know if he was just an unnamed squire or what
    Could also have been there to help underscore the notion that The Hound isn't afraid of any man, unless that man is on fire.

Organichu wrote: »

Could also have been there to help underscore the notion that The Hound isn't afraid of any man, unless that man is on fire.

That's a really good point.

I'm sad that we kind of lost the notion of OH SHIT IT'S RENLY'S FUCKING GHOST and Stannis's bannerman turning on him.

There was also a kind of pointed lack of catapults and ballistae, which seemed odd.

Otherwise, extremely well done. Shae seems a little too attached to Tyrion (like, for real, not faux-attached) for my taste, but I'm willing to see where it goes. Would have been a nice touch to have Littlefinger make the entrance rather than Tywin, with some pithy line about making new friends or bringing her some flowers or something, since Littlefinger's heavily implied to be the one who brokered that deal.

Yeah Shae seems emotionally attached to the point that it might seem strange when she betrays him in (what will probably be) Season 4, but they have another Season to work on that so we'll see.

I only said bad things in that post above so let me make it clear

That was a pretty fuckin' boss episode

I think people will probably shut up about the lack of battles now

edited May 2012
    I'm sad that we kind of lost the notion of OH SHIT IT'S RENLY'S FUCKING GHOST and Stannis's bannerman turning on him.

Do we really get that DURING the battle? Or maybe just a rumor secondhand.

As far as I remember the renly's ghost thing is mostly brought up as an urban legend basically after the battle's wound up.

Kana on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It was during the battle as well, but I'm sure it'll be brought up in the show after the fact. There was too much going on to smoothly incorporate it, it's a lot easier to do something like point out that renly is in the battle when you aren't actually showing the person and are simply going based on what a character is hearing other people describe

I mean the only way I could think to even do that would be to go into first person with Tyrion and have the camera be all fuzzy? It wouldn't work well I don't think, and a nice clear shot of him makes it apparent to the viewer it isn't Renly

override367 on