As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need For Game Archiving

KrubixCubeKrubixCube JapanRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
When you want to read an old book, like the Odyssey – a story that has survived for something that is, to me, an amazing length of time what do you do? Obvious – you go to the book store and you buy it. How about a classic film, like the Wizard of Oz, made in 1939, or Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai from ’54? Well, there’s probably a blu-ray release for both of those, I own one, but cannot attest for the other (guess which one!). How about a classic recording of Elvis or Sinatra or some other artist that is no longer alive? Again, pop down to the CD store (if they exist in your area anymore) or go online and find it. What do you want to do if you want to play Okami? A game that came out 6 years ago…well, I hope you still have a Playstation 2, and that you can find a copy because otherwise you’re out of luck. Well, there’s the Wii edition but that’s defeating the point I’m trying to make, so I'll ignore it for the time being. That point I'm alluding to is that there’s simultaneously a huge movement to argue games as art and relatively little effort to preserve its history.

It’s a problem that has plagued almost every new medium – many of the earliest novels were lost, films were poorly preserved and many lost, I don't know a lot about music history but I imagine mankind's earliest sheet music is probably gone too.. And now games, something that one would think has been around for long enough to know better is have an archiving problem. There’s no real way to re-experience a great game or share that experience unless you have the original console or if you’re fortunate enough to see a re-release that doesn’t cock up the original game (and you own the console that re-release is out for). I’m not a huge Nintendo fanboy but I’d be a liar if I said some of its classic titles don’t make me happy but I’ll willingly dip my face in some liquid nitrogen before I buy a Wii just to access the virtual console. That would be like buying a PS3 for the PSOne classics (all 5 of them).

Obviously games present their own challenges when it comes to archiving and preserving them, and it hasn't really been addressed. Also, they need to be - and I think this is the most important point - in a state that can be played by the masses but what are your guys' thoughts on the topic?

I always thought if the industry could unite behind emulation as a valid means of preserving games then it would be a positive thing. It's like classic novels being available for free for e-readers. It seems that there's still a big stigma against emulation as being associated with the current industry boogeyman "piracy" but it could really be a force of good if the industry united behind it.

sig.gif
KrubixCube on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The Wii virtual console IS essentially emulation. Once more companies get behind that, we'll see that becoming commonplace.

I don't know what you can do about PC games though. Some of them just don't play nicely with modern operating systems no matter what you do. Its not even the oldest games - because those ran under DOS and DOS can be emulated easily using DOSBOX.

The games that are the hardest to get working are those from the early years of 3D, during the heyday of windows 98.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, there are loads of older games I'd love to play on the PC but the amount of modding/busywork needed to get them running on my Windows 7 machine doesn't make it worth it.

KrubixCube on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Emulation, especially for arcade games where the games have never been available at home or in a complete home version, is pretty much necessary in order for us to preserve history. People who are against emulation altogether aren't looking at things from a broad enough perspective. It's like being against transferring a VHS tape to DVD.

Basically, my stance is this: The purpose of copyright is to encourage people to create art, thereby enriching our society, improving our culture, and so on. It's a legal construct intended to encourage the production of art that affords the creator a temporary exclusive right to it. Even if you, your company or your family keep the copyright to a work for a hundred years, it ultimately belongs to society. That's why people who preserve video games though ROM dumping and emulation are justified in doing so.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Old Windows games can be run in XP mode as long as they're not new enough to require some real 3d acceleration. There are only a slim number of PC games that you can't get running somehow these days.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    This thread made me remember this old article from Game Informer 174, October 2007.
    VideogameHistory.jpg

And we all saw that King of Kong movie, right? That big Twin Galaxies arcade looks like they're good at keeping antique arcade cabinets and pinball machines in good working order.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm sure someone, somewhere is keeping track. But I agree it's a shame it isn't easier to play a classic, or what you (or anyone) perceives as a classic.

for now your choices are to collect or... hope they keep rereleasing a lot of the memorable stuff.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Y'know, on this topic, there's a guy working at Stanford University trying to catalog video games - in particular, MMOs - in a historical sense. I know that's kinda out of the practical scope of this thread, but it's very much worth hearing about. Go to episode 2 of A Life Well Wasted if you want to hear the actual interview / details, it's pretty fucking cool. I hope the program is still running, incidentally.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Y'know, on this topic, there's a guy working at Stanford University trying to catalog video games - in particular, MMOs - in a historical sense. I know that's kinda out of the practical scope of this thread, but it's very much worth hearing about. Go to episode 2 of A Life Well Wasted if you want to hear the actual interview / details, it's pretty fucking cool. I hope the program is still running, incidentally.

that's pretty sick

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

that's pretty sick

It is. There's efforts being done, I just don't think any of them have hit any sort of prime spotlight or singular location to make it happen. I forget if it's that episode or another, but there's a guy who managed to do the same thing with pinball, he's out in the Bay Area as well. I think he got inspired from a Smithsonian visit that had a "pinball" exhibit but it instead had a Ms. Pac-Man machine. Which is very much not pinball. And pinball is pretty goddamn deeply rooted in 1900's America, which is super weird of the Smithsonian to drop the ball on.

Er, but that's kinda getting side tracked here.

• Options
    Just having an extensive Let's Play for an MMO is enough to make an archive. I never played The Matrix Online, never wanted to play the Matrix Online, but there are a half-dozen youtube videos that give me a sense of what the game was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ2yNaY2SQ0

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    To be fair, film and literature are much easier to archive the content portion of, and they still have terrible gaps in their histories. Take Metropilis, regarded as one of the most important movies ever made from the silent era. No full copy exists. It was an amazing discovery when a cut with a few more minutes of footage was discovered in Brazil a few years ago.

This is because archiving film stock is ridiculously expensive in large quantities, a problem that has thankfully diminished with the rise of digitization, though film itself is also being stored better these days as companies an institutions take better care to preserve their histories.

With video games it's not just software but hardware, which takes up comical amounts of space and cant just be tucked into a storage shed in Arizona and ignored if you want it to stay functional. Emulation alleviates this, but actual complete emulation is enormously intensive, and unless you have a crew of people going through and testing every game, you'll likely miss something. This is supposing you could get the rights holders to allow a project like this in the first place, not a sure thing in the least when they're just learning to monetize particular parts of their old catalogs.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Just having an extensive Let's Play for an MMO is enough to make an archive. I never played The Matrix Online, never wanted to play the Matrix Online, but there are a half-dozen youtube videos that give me a sense of what the game was all about.

Part of the problem with archiving an MMO is that part of the experience is the other people around you, whether they're standing around, spamming shit, or trying to recruit you for tasks, etc. Archiving the software is easy enough, but you can't aritifically populate it. You can do the quests and all, to a point, but the world is going to be empty. But engaging the game first hand is still important.

So really, extensive videos like the ones you mention above are good, but not on their own enough - putting hands-on experiences along with those videos at any display is what's needed.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    like you mention at the end of your post, there effectively already are archival copies of lots of the games that have ever existed. You can't re-create the experience of putting a cart in the console I guess, but if I wanted to I could plug a USB gamepad into my computer and play most any console game of yesteryear more or less as it existed in my childhood.
    I’ll willingly dip my face in some liquid nitrogen before I buy a Wii just to access the virtual console.

so wait, is the problem that archiving doesn't exist or that you'd rather not pay for it?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think that the gaps in videogame software will be far more pronounced in the future than the gaps in film, television, music, novels, etc are today. A one hundred year old film reel can be transferred to DVD using modern equipment much easier than trying to play a twenty year old PC game on modern equipment.

Twenty years from now computing may be radically different, but odds are we'll still be watching movies the same way, sitting down looking at a screen.

I am envisioning a time a hundred or more years from now when C++ and DirectX are considered "dead languages" and digital archaeologists will do their best to decode and understand our modern age software that they have found on ancient hard drives or forgotten CD spindles in people's basements or buried beneath the earth, entombed in the future dig sites that are our modern age landfills.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I think that the gaps in videogame software will be far more pronounced in the future than the gaps in film, television, music, novels, etc are today. A one hundred year old film reel can be transferred to DVD using modern equipment much easier than trying to play a twenty year old PC game on modern equipment.

Twenty years from now computing may be radically different, but odds are we'll still be watching movies the same way, sitting down looking at a screen.

I am envisioning a time a hundred or more years from now when C++ and DirectX are considered "dead languages" and digital archaeologists will do their best to decode and understand our modern age software that they have found on ancient hard drives or forgotten CD spindles in people's basements or buried beneath the earth, entombed in the future dig sites that are our modern age landfills.
    Maybe they could just dig up one of the millions of C++ books?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    100 years from now that stuff will all be in the cloud. Maybe nobody will be writing any code in C and Directx will be a defunct standard, but I doubt it will ever be some challenge to go back and figure out how it worked if there's either 1) money to be made or 2) a fan community interested in doing it. The only old games that aren't emulate-able right now are from that brief window at the start of gaming history where things fell out of use before everything was easily uploaded and copied (mostly, old arcade games.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    like you mention at the end of your post, there effectively already are archival copies of lots of the games that have ever existed. You can't re-create the experience of putting a cart in the console I guess, but if I wanted to I could plug a USB gamepad into my computer and play most any console game of yesteryear more or less as it existed in my childhood.
    I’ll willingly dip my face in some liquid nitrogen before I buy a Wii just to access the virtual console.

so wait, is the problem that archiving doesn't exist or that you'd rather not pay for it?

I think my issue is more with the fact that I'd be buying a console for the sole purpose of playing games that weren't made for it. Which seems silly. Like a lot of you mentioned it seems most of the dedication in terms of preserving games seems to be upheld by the fans here and there, not necessarily any sort of bigger organizations. I think a lot of the problems in game archiving are, also like you guys have mentioned, problems in archiving digital stuff in general. We haven't quite figured out ways of keeping all of our file types and languages up to date as time goes on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    yes we have

there were just a few years there were we hadn't figured it out quite yet, and so the environments in which to play games from that era have to be emulated in software

but there aren't that many of those games really, and most of the ones anybody is interested in have had the legwork done already

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    As far as the Wii goes, you'd be buying a console to play games on, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper (adjusting for inflation) to buy a wii now than it was to buy a nintendo back in the day.

Society has decided it's worth publicly funding libraries because we want a publicly accessible archive of books and etc, but I don't really see the need for a similar thing to exist for videogames when 1) most of it already exists publicly anyway and 2) the barrier to entry is really low.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I understand that cloud technology will certainly be there but it's having people who understand the languages enough to really get inside and figure them out. We can perfectly preserve tons of books but if no one can read the language they're printed in they become useless, right?

It'd be nice to see a consolidated effort to preserve everything though. If one dude saves the code for these old games somewhere, it starts becoming the same as the Metropolis example above. Except replace some Brazilian guy's attic with some dude's old hard drive.

sig.gif
  • Options
    you probably can't read or speak middle english, either. But there are people who can, and do, and to whatever extent we care about reading stuff produced in the era in which it was spoken, we have them to rely on. For there to be a big enough gap in knowledge that 100 years from now we'd be unable to figure out something written in C would require a catastrophe so severe that retro gaming wouldn't even be something we thought about.

I mean, pretty much any game produced in the last 15 or so years can be popped into a modern windows box, installed and played (might have some driver issues with stuff from the win95 era, but for the most part windows can figure those games out.) Earlier than that we have to emulate using third party solutions, but for the most part those exist.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    100 years from now that stuff will all be in the cloud.

The cloud is not a magical entity where data lives, the cloud is made up of actual computers, sitting in actual buildings, that require actual money to keep online.

Some people seem to think that the cloud is data heaven, and everything in it will be available anywhere forever, but it's not.

There was an entire modern, commercially active MMORPG that was completely lost to the ether after a hardware failure. This was modern day software that was making people money. A server full of 100 year old digital copies of videogames isn't going to be anywhere near safe.

• Options
    MMOs are kind of a special case because "the game" doesn't exist in discrete copies the way most games do. If you have a situation where proprietary data is being stored in one location without serviceable backup, obviously that data might be lost. But that certainly isn't the case with C++ or directx.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    It wasn't the case with COMTRAN or NELIAC either, but you'd have a pretty hard time finding anyone who could interpret those languages today.

This is assuming you could even find hardware capable of running either language.

• Options
    We're not quite at the point where all computer data is stored everywhere simultaneously like Daedalus in Deus Ex was, or some shit. The cloud is a step in that direction in a sense, but it's nowhere close to that.

• Options
    I totally get where you're coming from when you say the technology exists, and fans exist. But those things age and become obsolete too. And like SmokeStacks said the cloud is a very ambiguous thing, it's not like science fiction where we're all uploading to a single place. Take a good emulation page, great, we have an awesome source of archived games but if that website goes down we lose it unless you track down the owner of the website or the users who downloaded off of it. It's all just very imprecise.

Best to err on the side of caution I'd say.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    Too many legal knots with ownership (regional distribution rights, companies going bust and IP passing to others) and, lately, DRM.

So no, game archiving for the average person is a hamstrung task - where it should be easy with emulation it's difficult because it's almost entirely tied to crumbling physical media.

Every game-player for themself.

• Options
    Has a game ever disappeared from the face of the earth like the Dodo bird? I ... don't think so? I feel comfortable saying every commercially released videogame that has ever been released has been copied and stored somewhere and getting access to it just takes effort. Unless a meteor hits the planet, we're not going to lose Ultima 2 or Sim Ant or Frogger.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Has a game ever disappeared from the face of the earth like the Dodo bird? I ... don't think so? I feel comfortable saying every commercially released videogame that has ever been released has been copied and stored somewhere and getting access to it just takes effort. Unless a meteor hits the planet, we're not going to lose Ultima 2 or Sim Ant or Frogger.

I think you're really, really, really wrong here. First, many game companies have just vanished.
    Also, even big companies like Square and EA often lose all their source code and files for their games. So that means no one can do a perfect port, and will have to either recreate the entire game from the ground up, with a bit of help from the compiled game. But what if there is no way to reverse engineer a very old game? Or to even RUN it in the first place?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Has a game ever disappeared from the face of the earth like the Dodo bird?

If it has, would you know about it?

philosoraptor.jpg

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Certainly there are games that have disappeared of the face of the Earth. Probably not anything important or noteworthy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular

Reminds me of SEGA's Outrun Online Arcade, which disappeared from both XBLA and PSN (probably due to stupid Ferrari licensing issues)...

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Has a game ever disappeared from the face of the earth like the Dodo bird?

If it has, would you know about it?

philosoraptor.jpg

That's why we have to check the fossil records, you silly goose, to find the remains of extinct videogames.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    KrubixCube wrote:
    When you want to read an old book, like the Odyssey – a story that has survived for something that is, to me, an amazing length of time what do you do? Obvious – you go to the book store and you buy it.
    Not that I'm arguing against better archiving of games, but just to talk about the comparison more, what about the thousands of old books you *can't* just go into a store or amazon.com to buy? Sure, you can find your Odysseys and Moby Dicks and whatnot, but there are tons of lesser known stuff that's nowhere but university and museum archives and, well, nowhere at all. You could argue that the current availability of old books and movies isn't so different from having a few notable classics like Mario and Resident Evil easily available. Video games aren't terribly unique in regards to this issue.

Darlan on
  • Options
    I'm trying very hard to think of a rare game that was good enough to either be worth playing or advanced the industry and I'm coming up with zilch.
    Dark Castle for the Mac is available on the app store.
    Panzer Dragoon Saga is still floating around on ebay.
    The original Prince of Persia is on gametap.com

The reason I say every commercially released game still exists today is because as soon as it's released, it becomes a part of a collection. And I'm betting collectors will hang onto titles no matter how obscure or terrible they are to play simply because they want a complete collection. Thanks to the culture, a videogame will never disappear like the Dodo - there are just too many nerds who love videogames to let that happen. :P

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Why would you even bring up Okami, because it IS defeating the point you are trying to make. Having the game accessible on a different platform is no different than the Wizard of Oz going from VHS to DVD to Blu-ray. Also, popularity will always be a factor in what gets archived first, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm trying very hard to think of a rare game that was good enough to either be worth playing or advanced the industry and I'm coming up with zilch.
    Dark Castle for the Mac is available on the app store.
    Panzer Dragoon Saga is still floating around on ebay.
    The original Prince of Persia is on gametap.com

The reason I say every commercially released game still exists today is because as soon as it's released, it becomes a part of a collection. And I'm betting collectors will hang onto titles no matter how obscure or terrible they are to play simply because they want a complete collection. Thanks to the culture, a videogame will never disappear like the Dodo - there are just too many nerds who love videogames to let that happen. :P

You're just saying things. Doesn't mean they're actually valid.
    Also, being part of a private collection is no solution if no one else has access to playing it. Maybe we still didn't lose any half decent game forever, but this art form is barely 30 years old. We already lost uncountable important books, and we don't even know anymore that many of them existed. And books in general are a hell lot more accessible than videogames. I can read any English, Portuguese and Spanish books I find, no matter how old, but I have access to very few original old videogames, because I don't have the consoles.

Maybe today it's still kinda ok, but who knows how's it gonna be in 30 more years? The point is that we need to worry about preserving now, while we still can use them things.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png