As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wanna watch Macross legally and for free/cheap

NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Apparently, there's some sort of copyright agreement that makes it hard/impossible for Macross to be broadcast/sold in the USA. I'm guessing it has something to do with Robotech. Is there a legal way to obtain the show(s)?

Nightslyr on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yes, actually. The series is available to stream on Hulu. It's dubbed but that's licensing restrictions for you.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Cool. What about 7 and Frontier?

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I think there's a bunch on YouTube too.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yes, actually. The series is available to stream on Hulu. It's dubbed but that's licensing restrictions for you.

Wow, that dub is amazingly bad. Misa sounds 15, and Global comes across as a cackling maniac (which may or may not be the point). It's in the "so horrible it's hilarious" zone.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Wow, that dub is amazingly bad. Misa sounds 15, and Global comes across as a cackling maniac (which may or may not be the point). It's in the "so horrible it's hilarious" zone.

That's the one I grew up on in the 80s, so it sounds normal to me.

• grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    Yeah, man, that dub is seven kinds of awful. I pre-ordered the AnimEigo DVD set back in 2001 or so, best $260 I ever spent. I can't see eBay at work, but my suspicion you'll have to try and go that route to watch it subbed. From what I remember, there are no concrete plans for 7 and Frontier to see a stateside release.

Quail is just hipster chicken
    grungebox wrote: »
    Yeah, man, that dub is seven kinds of awful. I pre-ordered the AnimEigo DVD set back in 2001 or so, best $260 I ever spent. I can't see eBay at work, but my suspicion you'll have to try and go that route to watch it subbed. From what I remember, there are no concrete plans for 7 and Frontier to see a stateside release.

Are the copyright issues actually due to Harmony Gold, or something else? If it's HG, I wonder why they're just sitting on the rights. Shadow Chronicles did fuckall, IIRC, and it's not like the Robotech IP is doing much of anything right now. Frontier seems like it would be the perfect thing for the new Toonami block, if it can survive that long.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    New Toonami block?

Why was I not informed about this?

If you're fucking with my head, so help me...

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    New Toonami block?

Why was I not informed about this?

If you're fucking with my head, so help me...

http://www.adultswim.com/shows/toonami/index.html

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Are the copyright issues actually due to Harmony Gold, or something else? If it's HG, I wonder why they're just sitting on the rights. Shadow Chronicles did fuckall, IIRC, and it's not like the Robotech IP is doing much of anything right now. Frontier seems like it would be the perfect thing for the new Toonami block, if it can survive that long.

I believe Harmony Gold believes that they can get a movie made and then release the show when there's interest in the source material, or something like that.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Part of it is HG and their insistence on releasing stuff as Robotech, rather than just dubbing a series and calling it Macross. In the case of Macross 7, part of it is licensing the music as well as the series itself, iirc.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Although they're hella expensive, you can buy Macross Frontier (my favorite) Blurays and they'll work on a PS3 since they share a region. No subtitles sadly, but there is an awful lot of pretty explosions. You could just buy the two films and still get 90% of the awesomeness that's in the show.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Harmony Gold are evil incarnate. Thank them for no SRT in the US, more or less.

Makes sense if that rumor is true, though. Wasn't a movie being made?

wVEsyIc.png