As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Couch Cushions(Closed)

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, yesterday one of my father's dogs tore up the two seat cushions on his couch. And not in the "just flip it over nobody will notice" way. He will most likely need two new cushions. Any body know a place to get replacements that are at a reasonable price and quality? Also, how would one go about looking for a specific match to the ones he lost?

Thanks in advance.

JusticeforPluto on

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Your best bet is to probably check the furniture manufacturer. Pull a brand name off a tag, look them up online, talk to their customer service if you can.

• ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    A lot depends on the brand of the sofa in question. Lower quality brands generally do not have replacement cushions, as its less expensive to just replace the sofa. Higher quality brands definitely will have replacement cushions.

Definitely check with the manufacturer, or the furniture store where he bought the sofa. There is a huge variety of shapes and sizes.

Some things to keep in mind. Depending on the age of the sofa, you may have a difficult time getting the fabric to match. Even if you can find the matching pattern, dye lots vary in production, and can effect the color. Also, if the sofa has faded in the sun or through use.

Lastly, its probably not going to be cheap, so be prepared for that. It would be no problem for replacement cushions on a mid range sofa to be $100+ each.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Hunt up custom upholsterers in your area. Prices vary wildly so shop around a bit. But basically: either you or they will cut two pieces of appropriately high density foam to the corrects size (a lot of custom upholsterers will do this step but not all) and get them to match the cushion fabric as closely as possible.

Sucks and $100 a cushion sounds about right to me but it's cheaper than a new sofa.

Erik
  • Marie AugustMarie August Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Some things to keep in mind. Depending on the age of the sofa, you may have a difficult time getting the fabric to match. Even if you can find the matching pattern, dye lots vary in production, and can effect the color. Also, if the sofa has faded in the sun or through use.

This is very true. My sofa was recently professionally cleaned, and the color completely changed. Sofa color can change a lot over time (especially, I imagine in a home with pets), so even if you find a matching cushion, it might not really match anymore.

banner3.jpg
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice everyone, but the day after the cushions were destroyed the couch followed. Looks like my Dad will need a new couch after all.