As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

1828384858688»

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    aside from me just hating jon jones because i think he's an unlikable jerk,

preach i think the point isn't that the ufc ought to be disciplining fighters for extracurricular lapses- it's that they already do that, but they have a double standard

like, ok if dana just said it was all about business and hey this is a family company and i don't want skinheads or rape-jokers or steroid'ers or whatever sullying our fine company name, then whatever. if he thought jones' DUI wouldn't alienate enough fans to make suspension or cutting worth it, then i'd be like ok whatever, he's following the money

but he always makes it seem... moralistic, you know? it's always like I DON'T WANT A GUY LIKE THIS WORKING FOR ME

which is to say, it's one or the other; if he'd cop to just trying to avoid PR disasters, it'd make sense. but don't pretend to have a high and mighty sense of decency about your roster and then fire a dude over a tweet and not even chasten a guy who drove drunk and crashed his car

Organichu on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    Honestly having seen it at my job who didn't fire people for their first DUI, outside of jobs that require you to drive (like a trucker or a bus driver or something like that) I don't think most jobs would do anything to you for a DUI. Especially a sports organization.

He's a youg man who made a mistake, if he keeps getting popped for them than its an issue, but just having had one incident doesn't atomatically make him the worst ever. It didn't effect a PPV either unlike other champions could claim.

Actually he has had run ins with the law before, driving with a suspended license and some sort of reckless driving.

He also retracted his apology on his facebook. What makes him the worse ever isn't just the DUI incident, it's his whole history of narcissism and conceit that makes him really unlikeable.

Previous offenses not related to driving drunk and narcissism in a professional athelete? Oh shit I'm getting the vapors, I've never heard of someone whos a champ of his sport before 25 as having a bit of an ego. HOW DARE THAT FUCKER!

I'm not sure the previous offenses are not related to his driving drunk. If he's gotten away with breaking one driving law, it could make it likely that he'd think he can get away with it again. Punishment no longer serves as a deterrent in that case.

It could be an emerging pattern, or you could be right and it could be nothing. But given how we've seen Jones act and behave, issuing a "fuck you" of an apology then retracting it, I don't think he's learned any lessons here.

Personally I don't want anyone to get hurt if he decides to drive drunk again, but I'm just afraid the signs are there for it being possible.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Young man responds brashly to people on internet. Look he's the top fighter in his weight class before he even turned old enough to get reduced car insurance, a little bit of brashness is expected. I mean unlike say Lebron James or even Brian Bosworth at least Jones has earned a little bragging since again he's the fucking champ.

Which explains why White is more willing to let this go, kids a champ, looks to be the face of the company moving forward if he keeps winning and winning in a way thats entertaining and it was just a one time thing. I mean for people criticizing Jones I hope you aren't fans of 24 or Burn Notice, because both those shows had front runners convicted of DUIs. Hell Kiefer Sutherland has multiple offenses over his whole life, yet he keeps getting work in hollywood.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I agree that it's favoritism, but not that it's favoritism over who he likes, but who's being most successful, who's making him most money.

Jon Jones, like him or not (and believe me, I don't), is a fighter people pay to see. And he's a champion. One of their top champions in fact.

Miller may be a fighter people pay to see, but he was also a loser. Didn't win once in his UFC career. And his last two fights were not even close to wins.

One of those two has clearly earned a paycheck, and a lasting career, in the UFC. The other didn't, and has been punished.

That said, if Jones goes out and gets arrested again anytime soon, then I expect Dana to act, because then he'll be upset about this guy who's running around with the belt, actively trying to make the company look bad by thinking he can do this nonsense over and over again and get away with it, plus he won't want anybody else getting hurt because of Jones' reckless behavior outside of the Octagon.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    YES! Overeem, bitches! Your liver is fucked, Junior, fucked!

OK, now that all the happiness is used up, I'm ready for some bizarre cluster fuck to rid us of this fight again. I'm guessing Alistair gets lots on the way to venue.

I hope Cain doesn't win the title. I think Overeem vs JDS is a much more entertaining fight than Overeem vs Cain, which would result in far more grappling. I like grappling, don't get me wrong, but seeing the two best HW strikers try and smash each other would be so much fun.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    That said, if Jones goes out and gets arrested again anytime soon, then I expect Dana to act, because then he'll be upset about this guy who's running around with the belt, actively trying to make the company look bad by thinking he can do this nonsense over and over again and get away with it, plus he won't want anybody else getting hurt because of Jones' reckless behavior outside of the Octagon.
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. Dana White has shown that he'd jump through hoops to not bother guys that he either likes or makes him a lot of money.

Like Preacher said, even Keifer Sutherland and Mel Gibson are still being hired despite their previous run-ins with law enforcement. With Jones' blatant disregard for the law, and with the UFC not really guiding him in a positive direction, this could be a tale that ends tragically.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It all depends how long he holds that belt.

Eventually he's going to slip up and lose. Just like Anderson Silva.

• Options
    It all depends how long he holds that belt.

Eventually he's going to slip up and lose. Just like Anderson Silva.

Yeah with a bum knee I don't like his chances against the current champ in their rubber match.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So Jones plead guilty to the DWI.

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/29/ufc-jon-jones-pleads-guilty-to-dwi-ufc-news-27215.html

His punishment? A slap on the wristfine and a probationary period.

Which is pretty much what anyone who pleads guilty to their first DUI gets. I know you want it to be a situation of favoritism, but if you crashed your car while driving under the influence you probably wouldn't be facing jail time either.

I'm not saying it's a situation of favoritism at all. I'm just relaying the facts. The favoritism comes in from the UFC's handling of the situation, where they would fire less popular fighters for smaller offenses than this.

Funny...I could have sworn a much less popular fighter did get in trouble for a smaller offense than this and he's still employed. But, I mean, that can't be right...

Oh wait. Yeah it can.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/01/ross-pearson-ufc-arrested-dui/

Granted, this just goes to highlight Dana's inconsistency, but still.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So Jones plead guilty to the DWI.

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/29/ufc-jon-jones-pleads-guilty-to-dwi-ufc-news-27215.html

His punishment? A slap on the wristfine and a probationary period.

Which is pretty much what anyone who pleads guilty to their first DUI gets. I know you want it to be a situation of favoritism, but if you crashed your car while driving under the influence you probably wouldn't be facing jail time either.

I'm not saying it's a situation of favoritism at all. I'm just relaying the facts. The favoritism comes in from the UFC's handling of the situation, where they would fire less popular fighters for smaller offenses than this.

Funny...I could have sworn a much less popular fighter did get in trouble for a smaller offense than this and he's still employed. But, I mean, that can't be right...

Oh wait. Yeah it can.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/01/ross-pearson-ufc-arrested-dui/

The UFC was criticised for that as well. And Pearson is a Ultimate Fighter reality show winner and a popular fighter in the UK, where the UFC is trying to establish an international presence. You can tell he's a popular UK fighter because Venkman really likes him.

B:L on
This discussion has been closed.