As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mixed Martial Media: The Assassination Of UFC 151 By The Coward Jon Jones

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited August 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
628x471.jpg

Mixed
Martial
Arts

Mixed Martial Arts is a full contact combat sport. It's comprised of a bunch of martial styles aggregated in the most streamlined way possible to make an effective fighter. Wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are just some of the styles that are considered central to a modern fighter's repertoire.

There are a few major promotions right now that push this sport.

UFC:

Ufc_logo.jpg

It is the big show- sure, Italians play basketball but who cares? Does anyone paint their chest at football games in Canada? Let's get real. This brand, like the iPod, has garnered eponymous popular awareness. If any of your coworkers see 4 ounce gloves poking out of your gym bag at work, they're likely to spurt- 'oh wow- do you train UFC?' It's kind of a big deal. Its champions right now are:

Bantamweight (135 lbs): Dominick Cruz
tuf-15-coach-dominick-cruz.png

Featherweight (145 lbs): Jose Aldo
AldoGamburyanWEC51_8245.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1288644731919

Lightweight (155 lbs): Benson Henderson
wec40_ben_henderson_main_large_large_large.jpg

Welterweight (170 lbs):
(defending) Georges St. Pierre
b11f64834498f78bc48d69020107d0d4.jpg

(interim) Carlos Condit

condit2_original.jpg?1328027379

Middleweight (185 lbs):
Anderson Silva

spider.jpg

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs):
Jon Jones

mma_g_jjones2_sy_576.jpg

Heavyweight (max 265 lbs):
Junior Dos Santos

20120526_jla_ac4_738_extra_large.jpg

Then, of course, there are other promotions like Strikeforce and BAMMA and… I don't care! If you insist, I'll edit some stuff in here. Really though I don't care. UFC has won. Give up!

Here is a collection of my favorite MMA things:

Rules:
don't strike to the back of the head
no groin shots
no fish hooking
no trolling

Organichu on

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    I know more than a few of us have dabbled in training various disciplines. I'm reserving this post for information of that sort. Tell us whatever you're comfortable with- styles, experience, weight, location, whatever. I'll edit it in to this post.
    Organichu wrote:
    I'm a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu purple belt out of Philadelphia. I grew up in Israel where Krav was sort of the thing amongst my family. I came to America where everything was smiles and butterflies and tepid salesmanship to the insecure. Once I realized that it's just about impossible to find even 75% Krav around here I segued to Jiu-Jitsu which I've been doing ever since. I compete about once a year, more frequently when I'm staying in shape.

Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 210lbs (competition weight)
    Venkman90 wrote:
    My name is Steve, I live in Manchester, England and baring a year in Australia always have. I started training at 20 in JKD which I got to instructor level in after about 5 years (lineage back to Inosanto through Vunak, via one if his UK guys, like that matters.) I started BJJ about 2003 but quit pretty soon after when I moved away from the city, I dabbled in some private lessons since then but still haven't been back full time, that's about to change though.

Height: 6'
    Weight: 225 Pounds (yeah, yeah, I am built, plus aiming for 200 this year)
    Reach: 7" if I cheat
    Height: 5' 11''
    Weight: Currently 230...was at 223 a few weeks ago but I've been eating like crap lately and have been busy getting ready to move with my wife. A bit hectic, but I'll be getting back into my workouts next week.

Had absolutely no martial arts experience until I was in college. A black belt friend of mine gave me a few small lessons in Shotokan Karate that I don't remember anything about. After that, I got interested in Jiu-Jitsu and started studying assorted books and YouTube channels. Worked with a 3-stripe blue belt who taught a class at my college and also joined a full-on MMA gym for about a year. Thought about doing some amateur fights, but never really got good enough to feel comfortable doing it. I haven't really trained for a couple of years because I moved away from my school and my prior gym, so I'm a very out of the loop white belt in BJJ with ok hands.

However, I did get involved in some BJJ/submission grappling tourneys around my area before I stopped training, so I at least have a few medals to show off.
    560017_964232423898_121515678_n.jpg

One bronze at Grappler's Quest, one silver at Copa America and one bronze/one gold at NAGA.
    Dangerbird wrote:
    Height: 5' 6"
    Weight: Float between 160-165, depending on how much pizza I've been eating. I would describe my physique as "welterweight BJ Penn", but not as flabby.

I trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on and off for a year, but never had enough consistency to make any significant progress, which is something I'm quite disappointed in myself for. I'd cite injuries and real life obligations as reasons why but in the end, those are just excuses. I made a vow to myself to head back to the gym one of these days.
    krapst78 wrote:
    Hi, I'm Terence, and I'm a US expat living in Seoul, Korea. I trained boxing here for 6 months before I realized that I didn't enjoy getting punched in the face, especially by a buddy who outweighed me by 60 lbs. I decided to get revenge by signing us up for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, where face-punching was frowned upon. I've been training on and off for two years and just got promoted to blue belt last month. Unfortunately, my buddy trained twice as hard as I did and replaced the face-punching with crushing top control. I'm fortunate to train at a great gym with fantastic people, and I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of people involved in the Korean MMA scene through them. MMA has a huge cult following in Korea and a lot of stars even cross over to the mainstream. I'd say significantly more people in Korea would know who Fedor is over Lebron James. If any of you guys ever visit Korea be sure to hit me up, I'd be happy to introduce you to my adopted home country.

Age 33
    Weight: 172 but cutting weight to 165 for a BJJ tourney this weekend
    Height 5'10
    Weight 310 (yikes! most of it is beard)

I trained TKD when I was a kid from perhaps 7 to 10 up to a purple belt. Wasn't really paying much attention other than how to throw a basic punch or kick. Last year I started training at Serra BJJ I made it up to a 2 stripe white belt before multiple injuries sidelined me until I get better.
    DaemonSadi wrote:
    Weight: 136 (fluctuates a bit but 135 is what I compete at and am usually around there)

Trained Muay Thai and Sub-grappling out of Daddis Fight Camps in New Jersey. Competed in a handful of MMA matches during that time. Had a bad time with my knees and combined with starting grad school I went on hiatus. I am now back on the hunt for a new gym as I recently moved.
    Age 31
    Height 5'10"
    Weight 175((ish, been cutting a bit))

I'm a 3 stripe white belt from an affiliate school of Jeff Curran's, started out about 2 years ago with a focus on muay thai that started BJJ and got hooked. My work allows it so I usually train twice a day.
    Also competed once at C3 and took home two 2nd place medals, hoping to compete again in august.
    Tycho wrote:
    I'm tall and lanky. I've been training BJJ pretty consistently for 4 years, and 3 different gyms. I did Sambo for a few months, and have taken a boxing/kickingboxing lesson or two in my time. I'm still a white-belt, which I am bitter about because I can beat most of the blues in my gym. I've competed several times in the past few years, in which I've done ok but never great. I'm not in the best shape at the moment, and only train once, maybe twice a week, which in my mind is not nearly enough to be improving.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 268 (yes, I'm slightly round, but there's muscle underneath honest )

Trained 7 years (age 11-18) in Ryukyo Kempo karate, making to brown w/ tips and did quite a bit of weightlifting in high school. I got into traditional boxing (about 2 years) for awhile and then into wrestling. Was in a few amateur meets placing as high as 3rd in the heavyweight division at a regional back in 2004 (was around 225lbs then). Sadly, knee injuries, a ruptured calf, and some genetic issues have placed a drastic limit to my training capabilities so I don't roll no more and occasionally have to use a cane to remain ambulatory. However, I can use said cane to deliver an asswhooping (I've had to do so twice in some bar altercations that got out of control).
    Peter Ebel wrote:
    Peter Ebel
    Pushing 30
    188 cm and 100 kg

Trained Hwarang Do for about 8/9 years, achieved black sash level, but wasn't legit enough to hand out degrees myself. I focused mostly on kicks, bladed weapons and tiny sticks, but I have much love for the joint locks and the chokes. I trained a bit of Muay Thai afterwards, mostly just for a martial arts workout. I'm looking to start Brazilian Jujitsu come September. Don't know my reach, but I don't give a fuck cause I set up punches with my sweet sweet front kick to the gut.
    Jeremy
    5'7"
    195 lbs (Used to be 150, then ballooned to 220, slowly working my way back down)

Black belts in both Karate and Tae Kwon Do, although I'd be hard-pressed to remember anything specific about either style given I was a young'n when I trained. They did give me a decent basis to transition over to contemporary wushu, which I did into high school. After that, I studied various traditional kung fu styles under the same sifu for several years. So basically I went from a McDojo to glorified gymnastics to old school martial arts. The first two phases put me in really great shape and taught me a lot of body control, flexibility, balance, etc. It wasn't until the last phase that I actually learned anything meaningful with regards to how to use it in a fighting context. That's not to say that I'm one of those "omg real kung fu would win in a real fight LAWL glass on the pavement no groin strikes?!?!" guys; there were definitely holes in the approach (as with any style), but my sifu was a Ranger in Vietnam and spent his last tour as an MP combat instructor, so he knew the difference between pretend fighting and real fighting. Throughout my life I've dabbled in other arts such as Aikido, BJJ, Muay Thai, etc. and had friendly sparring matches with friends and acquaintances, but would be lying if I said I knew anything than their most rudimentary basics and concepts. Been thinking about going back and training again in something more MMA-centric...
    Ben
    5'6"
    125lbs

Did karate when I was a kid. Don't even remember what belt I got to. Played soccer for 12 years. Did wrestling for a while to help my brother train. As far as current things go, I trained at Team Quest for 4 months about a year ago and then ran out of money. Currently looking at a gym not to far from where I work that trained Nate Quarry and Chris Leben. Pretty good set up with a good gi/no gi BJJ instructor. Hoping to get in there in the next month or two and maybe take my first amature fight by the end of the fall.

Organichu on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Ochu you stole my thread.

Also you are mistaken Chael Sonnen is the MW champ.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    What happened to the old thread?

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

It got locked.

In relation to the thread title, is there an update on Lavar's arm? He seemed to be writhing in quite a lot of pain but looked fine afterwards. I'm wondering if he's going to be out with an injury.

i dunno bros. i was told by a mod that the old thread was being locked, and since i happened to be online and he knew i posted in here he asked me to make the new one. i don't think there's much intrigue.

Organichu wrote: »
    i dunno bros. i was told by a mod that the old thread was being locked, and since i happened to be online and he knew i posted in here he asked me to make the new one. i don't think there's much intrigue.

Secret backroom deals with the Fertittas

Dana White in on the conspiracy

i will edit in how beel has trained in cry-jutsu for 800 eons

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »

It got locked.

In relation to the thread title, is there an update on Lavar's arm? He seemed to be writhing in quite a lot of pain but looked fine afterwards. I'm wondering if he's going to be out with an injury.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself

As well as an after-action report on Bigfoot's face, in its gory details.

Cuz I've seen cuts as bloody as that, but I don't think anything bloodier than that. There were puddles forming on the mat.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.

Just found it odd. We usually get much closer to 100 pages before things get shut down. It doesn't really matter to me; just wondering why it was nixed at 88 pages. Whatevs.

So who's going to be watching the TUF finale this Friday? I'll be in the process of moving and I'm not sure if I'll have cable connected by the time it goes down.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    (for the second post bio bit):

My name is Steve, I live in Manchester, England and baring a year in Australia always have. I started training at 20 in JKD which I got to instructor level in after about 5 years (lineage back to Inosanto through Vunak, via one if his UK guys, like that matters.) I started BJJ about 2003 but quit pretty soon after when I moved away from the city, I dabbled in some private lessons since then but still haven't been back full time, that's about to change though.

Weight: 225 Pounds (yeah, yeah, I am built, plus aiming for 200 this year)
    Reach: 7" if I cheat

edited May 2012
    Just noticed the 2nd post. Here's my info.

Height: 5' 11''
    Weight: Currently 230...was at 223 a few weeks ago but I've been eating like crap lately and have been busy getting ready to move with my wife. A bit hectic, but I'll be getting back into my workouts next week.

Had absolutely no martial arts experience until I was in college. A black belt friend of mine gave me a few small lessons in Shotokan Karate that I don't remember anything about. After that, I got interested in Jiu-Jitsu and started studying assorted books and YouTube channels. Worked with a 3-stripe blue belt who taught a class at my college and also joined a full-on MMA gym for about a year. Thought about doing some amateur fights, but never really got good enough to feel comfortable doing it. I haven't really trained for a couple of years because I moved away from my school and my prior gym, so I'm a very out of the loop white belt in BJJ with ok hands.

However, I did get involved in some BJJ/submission grappling tourneys around my area before I stopped training, so I at least have a few medals to show off. :D
    560017_964232423898_121515678_n.jpg

One bronze at Grappler's Quest, one silver at Copa America and one bronze/one gold at NAGA.

ChillyWilly on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    This is me:

Height: 5' 6"
    Weight: Float between 160-165, depending on how much pizza I've been eating. I would describe my physique as "welterweight BJ Penn", but not as flabby.

I trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on and off for a year, but never had enough consistency to make any significant progress, which is something I'm quite disappointed in myself for. I'd cite injuries and real life obligations as reasons why but in the end, those are just excuses. I made a vow to myself to head back to the gym one of these days.

• krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Hi, I'm Terence, and I'm a US expat living in Seoul, Korea. I trained boxing here for 6 months before I realized that I didn't enjoy getting punched in the face, especially by a buddy who outweighed me by 60 lbs. I decided to get revenge by signing us up for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, where face-punching was frowned upon. I've been training on and off for two years and just got promoted to blue belt last month. Unfortunately, my buddy trained twice as hard as I did and replaced the face-punching with crushing top control. I'm fortunate to train at a great gym with fantastic people, and I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of people involved in the Korean MMA scene through them. MMA has a huge cult following in Korea and a lot of stars even cross over to the mainstream. I'd say significantly more people in Korea would know who Fedor is over Lebron James. If any of you guys ever visit Korea be sure to hit me up, I'd be happy to introduce you to my adopted home country.

Age 33
    Weight: 172 but cutting weight to 165 for a BJJ tourney this weekend

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
    Seeing these other weights make me feel fat.

Probably because I am.

Seeing these other weights make me feel fat.

Probably because I am.

Fuck em, they can fight the midgets at BW and we will go for doughnuts with Rumble.

ok added more deets for me, and edited in the rest

• SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    Bio stuff is fun!

Height 5'10
    Weight 310 (yikes! most of it is beard)

I trained TKD when I was a kid from perhaps 7 to 10 up to a purple belt. Wasn't really paying much attention other than how to throw a basic punch or kick. Last year I started training at Serra BJJ I made it up to a 2 stripe white belt before multiple injuries sidelined me until I get better.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Looking at that list of champions... Right now is like the REIGN of long lanky fighters. I love it. Speaking of which...

Weight: 136 (fluctuates a bit but 135 is what I compete at and am usually around there)

Trained Muay Thai and Sub-grappling out of Daddis Fight Camps in New Jersey. Competed in a handful of MMA matches during that time. Had a bad time with my knees and combined with starting grad school I went on hiatus. I am now back on the hunt for a new gym as I recently moved.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    buncha chumps all of ya
    i train UFC

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Oo

Are you dying?

I didn't know Pablo Garza posted here.

I'm more of a Pat Barry looking fellow, myself. :D

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Age 31
    Height 5'10"
    Weight 175((ish, been cutting a bit))

I'm a 3 stripe white belt from an affiliate school of Jeff Curran's, started out about 2 years ago with a focus on muay thai that started BJJ and got hooked. My work allows it so I usually train twice a day.
    Also competed once at C3 and took home two 2nd place medals, hoping to compete again in august.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Oo

Are you dying?

THAT'S A SENSITIVE SUBJECT!

Alternatively:

Dying from being so goddamn sexy!

I remember you posted height and weight before and I had kinda the same reaction, that's wild man. Before I started all this I started up weightlifting doing a bit of powerlifting and I went from 155ish to 217.
    I move so much better at this weight now but I do miss having some of that muscle now and then. Just never on the mat.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I WANT YOUR PROBLEMS, DAEMON

i have to basically eat water with water on top over a bed of water and also throw up 8 times a day to stay under 300 lbs

• SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    I remember weighing 135... when I was in the 5th grade.

Has to be kinda awesome rolling against other people around that weight with that much height going for you

I didn't know Pablo Garza posted here.

I'm more of a Pat Barry looking fellow, myself. :D

Fighter I would relate to most physically would be Cote, but when his knee was busted and he went up to 225 and beyond.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 175 lbs

I am a lifelong practitioner of Thugjitsu.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I'm tall and lanky. I've been training BJJ pretty consistently for 4 years, and 3 different gyms. I did Sambo for a few months, and have taken a boxing/kickingboxing lesson or two in my time. I'm still a white-belt, which I am bitter about because I can beat most of the blues in my gym. I've competed several times in the past few years, in which I've done ok but never great. I'm not in the best shape at the moment, and only train once, maybe twice a week, which in my mind is not nearly enough to be improving.

mvaYcgc.jpg
    Why haven't you been promoted to blue yet? Just haven't been at one gym long enough?

Has to be kinda awesome rolling against other people around that weight with that much height going for you

It is! My limbs are everywhere. And my elbows are like doublejointed or whatever so they bend silly far back. I remember when one of my instructors was trying to demonstrate an inverted armbar on me... he then took me around to other instructors to show them how silly my arms are.

i have to basically eat water with water on top over a bed of water and also throw up 8 times a day to stay under 300 lbs

I'm sorry. I eat like a big fat fatty most of the time.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I trained in Tae Kwon Do when I was 10, so none o' you guys cause trouble in here or I'll go ninja turtles all up ins

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited May 2012
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    What the hey, I'll throw my stats out there, even though I'm more of lurker in this thread:

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 268 (yes, I'm slightly round, but there's muscle underneath honest :) )

Trained 7 years (age 11-18) in Ryukyo Kempo karate, making to brown w/ tips and did quite a bit of weightlifting in high school. I got into traditional boxing (about 2 years) for awhile and then into wrestling. Was in a few amateur meets placing as high as 3rd in the heavyweight division at a regional back in 2004 (was around 225lbs then). Sadly, knee injuries, a ruptured calf, and some genetic issues have placed a drastic limit to my training capabilities so I don't roll no more and occasionally have to use a cane to remain ambulatory. However, I can use said cane to deliver an asswhooping (I've had to do so twice in some bar altercations that got out of control).

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

It is! My limbs are everywhere. And my elbows are like doublejointed or whatever so they bend silly far back. I remember when one of my instructors was trying to demonstrate an inverted armbar on me... he then took me around to other instructors to show them how silly my arms are.

I have the same thing with my elbows, my physical therapist was telling me it actually makes me more likely to tear the ligaments in my elbows. No es muy bueno. But yeah having that sort of height has to be a big big advantage at that weight.

I have the same thing with my elbows, my physical therapist was telling me it actually makes me more likely to tear the ligaments in my elbows. No es muy bueno. But yeah having that sort of height has to be a big big advantage at that weight.

Oh I can definitely see how that could be a possibility. Because they bend to the limits of bending without you being able to feel ANYTHING. So you don't really have that pain warning that it is bending some way it shouldn't.

edited May 2012

Not just rolling, if he takes up boxing and learns the flicker jab, he could seriously put some hurt on his opponents at a distance.

In MMA news, Rich Franklin is subbing in for an injured Vitor against Wanderlei Silva. I expect the same thing that happened to Chuck to happen here, maybe Wandy will finally retire. :(

That also means Cung Le is left without an opponent.

B:L on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Holy crap none of us are below the age of 24. Freaky!

steam_sig.png