As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'07 Console Tournaments: Rules and Info

• Options
    artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the finals got recorded via camcorder last year, im not sure by who but you can find it on youtube im sure this year will be no different.

artifice on
  • Options
    DickChangDickChang Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yeah I saw it on this thread. pretty bad quality, but it WAS taken on a cam. you can see the stuff I record here.

DickChang on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chang-Feel free to ask me about recording in person on August 24th. Right now I'm hesitant to do any capturing because it might not work with our final setup. Once everything's in place, I'll have a better sense of whether or not it's doable.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    DickChangDickChang Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zig21 wrote: »
    Chang-Feel free to ask me about recording in person on August 24th. Right now I'm hesitant to do any capturing because it might not work with our final setup. Once everything's in place, I'll have a better sense of whether or not it's doable.

will do. I just feel like it would be cool if we recorded the matches and had them up on youtube.

DickChang on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    I think it would be cool if this year, for both the Omegathon and regular tourneys, if there was a direct feed recording from the equipment to be spliced in with live player footage for the DVD.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    yoshi1001230yoshi1001230 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In reference to the Guitar hero 2 tourneys, will we be able to decide at the time or possibly work in Hyper mode, because to be honest the regular Hard and Expert are simply to slow to keep pace with now.

yoshi1001230 on
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey zig, I'm not sure if this ever addressed but last year items were an issues because it was teams, it made things......interesting. I know that they were on but teams could turn them off if they both agreed however, if their was a dispute, they were on by default.

Now for my question, since it's not teams, Will items be turned on, I know the rules say no items; but I personally do not see an issue with them since its 1V1. It could be the same as last year: they can be turned off if both players agree.

Thanks.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nope. I gave my reasons in the FAQ and I'm sticking with 'em. Anybody who questions my decision will be sent to our official Gulag in Alaska.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nope. I gave my reasons in the FAQ and I'm sticking with 'em. Anybody who questions my decision will be sent to our official Gulag in Alaska.

I didn't see anything about Guitar Hero 2 and Hyper mode, is there any way possible for a match or the entire tourney being in hyper mode?

yoshi1001230 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'll get back to you on that.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think hypermode is a bad idea, just because not everybody plays with hypermode and it is much easier to go slower than it is to go faster.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    does the 360 version have hypermode? I thought it was just the ps2 version

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, it's in both.

I've never really used hyper speed too much, but if it's only both players or no players, I'd say default to no hyperspeed unless both players agree to it.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The answer is no to Hyper Mode. Sorry guys.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    MotiSynloxMotiSynlox Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    I am currently looking to be a fourth in someones GoW team, if you want to know some of my track record such as highest rank and all that jazz just send me a PM.

MotiSynlox on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe we should start another thread for LFG (looking for group). It will clutter this thread up bad (which is meant to be a rules and info thread). I'll go start this thread now.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Matchmaking will be handled day-of, just like last year.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gears of War
    When: Sunday, 11:00am~2:00pm
    Format: 4 vs 4, single elimination
    Player Cap: 64 teams (256 players)

Rules
    Warzone
    Rounds: 5
    Bleedout duration: 20 seconds
    Round Duration: 5 minutes
    Friendly Fire: On

Maps:
    Default only (no map packs)
    Each stage of the bracket is played on a new map in the following order: Canals, War Machine, Fuel Depot, Gridlock, Mansion, Clocktower
    Both teams may agree on any default map if they wish to do so

Format
    • Players will be divided into 8 pools, each containing up to 8 teams (32 players per pool)
    • The final 8 teams will be reseeded into a new single elimination bracket

Hey Zig, I just want to confirm that the notorious "Crab Walk" glitch will be instant disqualification. It's very easy to do, and very obvious when somebody is doing it. It allows them to run around in "roadie" mode while still being able to aim and shoot.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the notice. Crab Walking will be banned.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the notice. Crab Walking will be banned.

This is why I'm so happy you are running these things.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    does the 360 version have hypermode? I thought it was just the ps2 version
    Nah, it has hyper mode, the code is Blue, Orange, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Orange Yellow(2) at the main menu.

yoshi1001230 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ATTN!!!!!GEARS OF WAR PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!

Team Balls Of Steel is looking for a 4th player. due to lack of space in the car our 4th player could not make it.
    looking for someone with mad skills. please contact me though XBOX LIVE GT: SpiralTheory

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ATTN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GEARS OF WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey, I'll play with you guys I'm pretty good, I don't have live right now though because of having just moved into a new apartment.

yoshi1001230 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Page two already? Not on my watch!

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Page two already? Not on my watch!

Huh?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's a bump, damnit!

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lol, that's ok, though, cause it is stickied in another thread.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's a bump, damnit!
    That's not a bump, this is a bump

1160337384123.jpg

yoshi1001230 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Please stay on topic

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jimezjimez Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Huh? No fighting game tournament other than SSB:M?

Afraid not. We thought about including Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, but the cost of acquiring enough PS3's was too high. Otherwise, fighting games just aren't very popular these days.

fighting games not very popular? soul calibur 4 on the front cover on egm isnt good enough?

and tekken 5 dark resurrection, why not just tekken 5, or soul calibur 3????

my preference would be doa4 but that's probably just me. :(

i guess smash bros will have to pass this time, but next year i expect virtua fighter 5 depending on how big it gets on 360, and a dead give away would be soul calibur 4 if its out by then.

but whats up with all the west coasters hatin on doa? when i used to play online its almost always east coasters, china, japan, korea, and canada. i personally love doa cause if you keep doing your same move over and over again im gonna counter it; and if you crouch ill low grab you, and the air juggles are the most insane in any 3d fighter ive seen.

plus ill whoop anyone in doa4 including raybladex2 :P

jimez on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ever looked at the sales numbers for fighting games in the US? More often than not, they're pretty bad. DOA sells because it's usually a launch game and there's nothing else to play, but it always falls off the map within a month or two of its release. Ever since PAX began, we've seen zero demand for DOA. Even if VF5 does well on 360 (which is doubtful considering its competition in October and November), odds are everyone will eventually realize why they don't play VF anymore. As much as I love VF, it's still a niche title at best (and that's being generous). DR would work (T5 had a solid turnout in '06), but the cost of acquiring enough PS3's was just too expensive. Soul Calibur 3 was never in high demand and nobody really likes it. Between SC4 and Tekken 6, SC definitely has a better chance of making the cut next year but there's no guarantee it'll be popular among PAX attendees.

We want games that are in high demand and offer a fun tournament experience. As it stands, fighting games are no longer relevant in the US market. The few exceptions are either on hiatus (Soul Calibur) or not popular among PA fans (DOA). We'll try to include SC4 and SF2HD if they work out, but we're not giving precedence to a dead genre.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ever looked at the sales numbers for fighting games in the US? More often than not, they're pretty bad. DOA sells because it's usually a launch game and there's nothing else to play, but it always falls off the map within a month or two of its release. Ever since PAX began, we've seen zero demand for DOA. Even if VF5 does well on 360 (which is doubtful considering its competition in October and November), odds are everyone will eventually realize why they don't play VF anymore. As much as I love VF, it's still a niche title at best (and that's being generous). DR would work (T5 had a solid turnout in '06), but the cost of acquiring enough PS3's was just too expensive. Soul Calibur 3 was never in high demand and nobody really likes it. Between SC4 and Tekken 6, SC definitely has a better chance of making the cut next year but there's no guarantee it'll be popular among PAX attendees.

We want games that are in high demand and offer a fun tournament experience. As it stands, fighting games are no longer relevant in the US market. The few exceptions are either on hiatus (Soul Calibur) or not popular among PA fans (DOA). We'll try to include SC4 and SF2HD if they work out, but we're not giving precedence to a dead genre.

Trust me when I say that this isn't any bias of Zig. I know for a fact that he is a huge fighting game fan, but I believe he is making the right decision. I'm sort of surprised Tekken 5 (normal version) didn't make the cut, but Zig does an excellent job running the console area, and improving it each year. If this is the decision he has made, I'm 100% certain it is for the better of the tournament area as a whole.

What fighters are you playing these days anyway Zig?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Honestly, with the turnout and the devotion shown last year for SC3, I'm very surprised it wasn't brought back. I mean, it was given a dedicated PS2 in the console freeplay room and there was almost always a crowd around a few machines running the game. I'm not sure, but if the turnout for the tournament last year wasn't too great, if I remember right, it was kinda small, I could definitely understand not wanting to throw it out again only to get a limited number of competitors. But that is probably because there are too many people out there who play it and are afraid of getting their shit pushed in by people on a whole 'nother level than they are. When it comes to fighting games, it takes some real confidence, and not just a little ego, to want to compete.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What fighters are you playing these days anyway Zig?

Some DR and Guilty Gear. That's about it.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Recruit wrote: »
    Honestly, with the turnout and the devotion shown last year for SC3, I'm very surprised it wasn't brought back. I mean, it was given a dedicated PS2 in the console freeplay room and there was almost always a crowd around a few machines running the game. I'm not sure, but if the turnout for the tournament last year wasn't too great, if I remember right, it was kinda small, I could definitely understand not wanting to throw it out again only to get a limited number of competitors. But that is probably because there are too many people out there who play it and are afraid of getting their shit pushed in by people on a whole 'nother level than they are. When it comes to fighting games, it takes some real confidence, and not just a little ego, to want to compete.

I do notice that top-teir players for fighting games seem to distance themselves from the "good players" more than in any other genre. I know a few people I consider really good at Tekken, but they would have had their ass handed to them on a platter by the top 3 guys from the last tournament.

I think that seems less the case in FPS and such, but I might be wrong. It's really just my opinion.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Recruit wrote: »

I do notice that top-teir players for fighting games seem to distance themselves from the "good players" more than in any other genre. I know a few people I consider really good at Tekken, but they would have had their ass handed to them on a platter by the top 3 guys from the last tournament.

I think that seems less the case in FPS and such, but I might be wrong. It's really just my opinion.

Nah, it would seem to be true. Fighting game pros tend to have exploited the mechanics of the game more than learn their characters inside and out. Most people focus on one person until they become extraordinary with them. Top players just become exceptional at manipulating the game. I've always wondered at what point they go from good player to "I will FUCK YOU!" player.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Achieving that "imma fuck you up" level requires hard work, discipline, and lots of liquor. Actually, it's mostly liquor.

Back on topic: to all future attendees, we're always looking for help with running brackets. Feel free to volunteer, either during registration or when I ask before an actual tournament.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    OK, that's enough with the essays. Thread cleaned.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Do you need any system peripherals? Such as Guitars, Controllers, games, cables? I have more than an ample supply.

yoshi1001230 on
  • Options
    DMNDMN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I personally don't agree that this is the best of ideas.

Hyper mode is not really a cheat that takes away from the over all experience. I've run countless amounts of DDR tournies and many players use speed modification to make the chart more readable. This does not make the song itself any easier or harder, as the timing and such is still the same. I would suggest that Hyper mode be allowed if and ONLY if both competitors agree, or in the case of teams, both teams agree.

DMN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Do you need any system peripherals? Such as Guitars, Controllers, games, cables? I have more than an ample supply.

Right now we have no need for extra hardware or games, but thanks for offering. If any supply issues come up, we'll let everybody know.
    DMN wrote: »

I personally don't agree that this is the best of ideas.

Hyper mode is not really a cheat that takes away from the over all experience. I've run countless amounts of DDR tournies and many players use speed modification to make the chart more readable. This does not make the song itself any easier or harder, as the timing and such is still the same. I would suggest that Hyper mode be allowed if and ONLY if both competitors agree, or in the case of teams, both teams agree.

My decision had nothing to do with whether or not hyper mode is a cheat. The issue is a matter of convenience for both players and staff. Since hyper mode is enabled from the main menu and GH2 is going to be insanely popular, the last thing I need is time wasted cycling between menus and re-entering codes. If it can be toggled on or off from another menu AND there's widespread demand for it, I'll consider allowing the use of hyper mode. I'm definitely more lenient toward its possible use in later rounds, but at this point there's no reason to further complicate pools. Even though I'm not close to the hardcore GH community, I've yet to see any widespread demand for hyper mode among PA fans. If you have a better idea of how many hardcore players are coming, let me know.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
This discussion has been closed.