As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    That's my understanding as well.

My conundrum is whether to risk using my forces to do it, or take a different risk of letting them expand and (hopefully) take the Byzantine Empire down a notch.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    You know you've been playing the correct amount of Crusader Kings when you find yourself analyzing the succession rights in the Lion King (agnatic primogeniture, clearly). ;)

It made me think of the Witcher 2.
    The Holy Roman Emperor equivalent spends a ton of gold on assassins to force all the Northern Kingdoms into succession crisis' and break their alliances so he could invade them with impunity.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • PentaghostPentaghost Classification: NOT SO BAD The Southern OracleRegistered User regular
    So I'm a big fan of Paradox games and reading through this thread has convinced me to buy CKII, goodbye social life.

Anyway, I'm playing as the Duke of Champagne and one of my children was betrothed to the Duchess of Aquitaine. I thought this was a smart move; she owns pretty much all of southern France and when my son comes of age he will get married and have a claim on all those lovely Duchies and Counties and what have you. Not so. He got married, joined her family, and still has claims on his family lands, so when my current faction leader dies he's going to take Chartres away from me too. As I understand it, a "normal" marriage would mean that any children they have will be from the fathers house (de Blois) rather than the mothers, is that right? Do any children they have move to my court? Or are my son and his children permanently members of the other house?

A decent understanding of Medieval inheritance seems essential to excel at this game, and mine is sadly lacking.

• PentaghostPentaghost Classification: NOT SO BAD The Southern OracleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Double post

Pentaghost on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Was he your eldest son / inheritor? Lands will only unite if the exact person inherits the same. Otherwise it's just your younger brother getting land.

Is he in her line now, was it a matrilineal marriage? If so, I don't think you can correct it easily.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    When you say "joined her family" you mean he left your court? Yeah, they'll move to be with their spouse if they hold no land; if neither does, the "junior" person moves - female in normal, male in matrlilineal

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    One thing you could do is kill any of your sons who are ahead of Mr. Aquitaine in your succession (so as to make Mr. Aquitaine your heir). Eventually, that way, his son will inherit both Champagne and Aquitaine. Champagne through you (and eventually your son) and Aquitaine through his mother (your current daughter-in-law).

Female rulers are basically free territory, if you're willing to be patient.

SanderJK wrote: »
    Was he your eldest son / inheritor? Lands will only unite if the exact person inherits the same.

He was not my eldest son, when he married the Duchess of Aquitaine she became his Liege and he left my court.

Phyphor wrote: »
    Yeah, they'll move to be with their spouse if they hold no land; if neither does, the "junior" person moves - female in normal, male in matrlilineal

Does that mean that if I had waited for him to inherit Chartres and then married him to the Duchess of Aquitaine, she would move to my court and I'd have claims on her land?

I can't figure out if I'm playing as the de Blois family or just one person. Should I be scheming so as to put my character or the entire family in as strong a position as possible? So long as I am the Liege to all of my siblings I figure it makes sense to make sure everyone is married off to as strong a partner as possible.

GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    One thing you could do is kill any of your sons who are ahead of Mr. Aquitaine in your succession (so as to make Mr. Aquitaine your heir). Eventually, that way, his son will inherit both Champagne and Aquitaine. Champagne through you (and eventually your son) and Aquitaine through his mother (your current daughter-in-law).

That raises another question, how do I assassinate people? The only way I can do it is if I select it from the ambitions/plots tab, but there's only a few random people to choose from if I do it that way.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    They will always keep a split court, yet children will still happen (They will also happen during long wars when the dude is out marching. Do not ask!)
    In your case, the lands would merge, but the wrong way around, because the Ducal title would be higher than the Count title, and thus the primary. Is he still in line to inherit Chartres? If so, you may lose that county to Aquitaine in the next generation.

But if make sure your second inherits your Ducal title and has a child before he dies, then that child would inherit both Duchies and be under your control.

Assassination is a diplomatic option. Select a character, then go to his diplomatic screen, and it should be available. Note that it costs more depending on title, and becomes more difficult too.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    My Georgia game has started to get a bit crazy.

I'm up to nine kingdoms (Georgia, Sicily, Jerusalem, Egypt, Hungary, Poland, and 3 titular titles) and my current character inherited at 2 years old, thanks to his daddy getting syphilis at a Grand Tournament. At one point I had 6 revolts going at the same time. Fortunately, some careful application of bribes, soldiers, and assassinations resolved it.

I wish there were a way to type a message to a character when you send them a diplomatic message. I realize it wouldn't actually do anything of course, but it would be great for roleplay purposes. For example, in my succession crisis, I surrendered to one of my Dukes.

"To my dear kinsman, Duke of Sicily,

I hearby declare you an independent ruler. May God watch over your house in the future. What little you have left of it...

Do not mistake this for mercy or fear. I merely want to lower crown authority to placate my other vassals. I will make you remember the moment when you decided to revolt against me. In agonizing, exruciating pain as I flay you alive.

Your loving kinsman, King of Jerusalem, Georgia, Egypt, Poland, Hungary, and something else.
    Oh yes. Sicily."

So yeah, this game has turned me evil, hasn't it?

Slightly related question. Is it still possible to have the Pope as a Vassal?

In my Georgia game, I created an anti-pope when I got excommunicated. I've since used a mod to create the Empire of Jerusalem (I was getting sick of managing succession laws for six kingdoms) and gained control of the the county of Rome.

But whenever I try to press my Anti-Pope's claim to the Papacy, I lose him as a vassal.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

In my Georgia game, I created an anti-pope when I got excommunicated. I've since used a mod to create the Empire of Jerusalem (I was getting sick of managing succession laws for six kingdoms) and gained control of the the county of Rome.

But whenever I try to press my Anti-Pope's claim to the Papacy, I lose him as a vassal.

Pretty sure you can't, at least in vanilla.

gjaustin wrote: »

Pretty sure you can't, at least in vanilla.

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to conquer Rome the old fashioned way and keep getting rich off my Anti-Pope.

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I believe you can if you're an Emperor.

Edit: Never mind, misread your post. Maybe if your anti-pope is your kinsman?

Brian Krakow on
    Nope, I tried that

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    If I remember correctly, the Pope is considered Emperor level. I'd have to dig through the files to confirm.

He has the king border though

Another question; I am now the King of Aragon and attempting to retake the Iberian Peninsula from the Muslims, who have conquered everything except the few provinces I control in NE Spain. Anyway, one of my armies (10,000 men from Aragon) is besieging Valencia, the other (4,000 from my lands in France/7,000 Templars) is roaming around trying to take care of any Muslim armies it comes across. All of a sudden it just disappeared. I have more than enough money to keep the Templars paid for a few years so it's not that I ran out of money, plus that wouldn't explain why my French army just disappeared too. I assume this is a bug? I can see no reason for why they'd be disbanded. I also thought that because I have been waging almost constant warfare for the past decade that my vassals are pissed at having their levies raised. Can they just disband my army after a certain amount of time? But then that doesn't explain why the Templars disappear.

I guess I can just continue on without them, but losing half of my army means I'll probably lose the war.

Pentaghost wrote: »
    Another question; I am now the King of Aragon and attempting to retake the Iberian Peninsula from the Muslims, who have conquered everything except the few provinces I control in NE Spain. Anyway, one of my armies (10,000 men from Aragon) is besieging Valencia, the other (4,000 from my lands in France/7,000 Templars) is roaming around trying to take care of any Muslim armies it comes across. All of a sudden it just disappeared. I have more than enough money to keep the Templars paid for a few years so it's not that I ran out of money, plus that wouldn't explain why my French army just disappeared too. I assume this is a bug? I can see no reason for why they'd be disbanded. I also thought that because I have been waging almost constant warfare for the past decade that my vassals are pissed at having their levies raised. Can they just disband my army after a certain amount of time? But then that doesn't explain why the Templars disappear.

I guess I can just continue on without them, but losing half of my army means I'll probably lose the war.

I can't tell you why this happened to you, but I can offer the support of solidarity. Same thing happened to me. I had two Holy Order armies running interference with me in Spain, and then one just vanished. I thought maybe my piety had dropped below some hidden threshold, but I never did figure out what had happened.

• KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Somehow ended up in the wrong thread. Nothing to see here.

Khildith on
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So, jumped back to my Muscowy game in EU:3.

Promptly formed Russia once my current war with Sweden was won, and then I was off to finally face a currently embattled Golden Horde.

And it went mostly well. We won every battle, I started setting up colonists, and I soon occupied every inch of their territory we'd discovered (which is like, what we know about at the start plus one other). Managed to successfully colonize four provinces (Bolgar, Kazan, Tambow, and Voronezh, I believe). Meanwhile, Venice and Genoa both made progress around Crimea, which made me happy (the more the Horde suffers, the happier I am). However, I did make one big, big fuck up...

I went bankrupt. Whoops. You can't call for war taxes while fighting Hordes, and just before Kazan flipped over to us we got smacked.

So end result... I have some new land, the Horde has less, but now my armies are nearly worthless, my prestige dropped from #2 in the world to #125 (thank Teutons for trying to call me to war right after I went bankrupt. Dicks.) Also, I can't even just lay off of army maintenance because of all the freakin' rebellions that keep popping up. If I can just survive the next few years with the brutal, and decade long, bankruptcy penalty, I'll be fine. But right now, things kinda suck ass.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Crusader Kings II has now been released on Mac, via Steam.

So, uh, I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in the Game of Thrones mod for CK2, but apparently it's available now. The beta is, anyway.

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    *Watch the Battle of Blackwater on telly*

*Check PA thread*

Grimmy is the best.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Anyone have an opinion on Sengoku?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on Sengoku?

It's okay, boarding on good, but it's really a (Japanese) poor man's CKII.

Which makes sense, since it was mainly just a test bed for some of CKII's new features.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    CKII is 10$ for download on Amazon, along with various other paradox games

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    It's an insane deal. UK residents can jump on it if you enter a valid US billing address (I made one up then deleted it straight after). Not sure about residents of other countries.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    CKII is 10$ for download on Amazon, along with various other paradox games

Which people should buy.

I've just gotten back into a CKII kick and, in my new current game as the (now) King of Wales, I just got finished with aiding in a successful Crusade.

For the Kingdom of Germany.

Turned out the Holy Roman Emperor converted (along his the seat of power) to Carthar. I'm not sure if this came before or after half the empire (and all of Italy) declared, and WON, independence, but the usual HRE blob was mostly dead when the Pope called for the Crusade. A Crusade which would have seen the crown of Germany going to me in Wales if my King hadn't been killed on the battlefield after taking most of the northern coast, thus losing the comfortable lead I had in contribution before I could rejoin the Crusade and, eventually, the crown and all of central and northern Germany that came with it to the King of Sweden (who already held most of both sides of the Baltic at this point).

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    New expansion on the horizon for CK2 -- Sword of Islam. Apparently it extends the African frontier quite a bit south, as well as letting you play as Islamic rulers (obviously). Events and whatnot. So that's good stuff.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Still waiting for a proper Norse expansion!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That strikes me as not that hard until the HRE decides to invade. Those fuckers are taking Iberia in my Wales game. That's mine!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    New expansion on the horizon for CK2 -- Sword of Islam. Apparently it extends the African frontier quite a bit south, as well as letting you play as Islamic rulers (obviously). Events and whatnot. So that's good stuff.
    @Captain Carrot We'll have to play the Reconquista from the other side! :D

Half the fun of the Reconquista is having most of the peninsula be Muslim, though. Crusades might make up for it, actually. :P

I have no interest in playing a Muslim ruler, but I'm going to be all over this DLC just for the fact that I like the game being made bigger, even if I never use it. I like having the option. Plus, I want to support them since they knocked CK2 out of the park. It was all I wanted from a sequel and more.

• healragahealraga Registered User regular
    It's an insane deal. UK residents can jump on it if you enter a valid US billing address (I made one up then deleted it straight after). Not sure about residents of other countries.

Anyone can enter a billing adress, I'm not an UK resident and I got it after I entered the address of a massage room in Reno (no sales tax in Nevada)

The first dev diary for Sword of Islam is up. It also talks about the 1.06 patch.

edited June 2012
    Yay new imperial titles! That should make managing shit so much easier.

enlightenedbum on
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    As exciting as the prospect of riding down both Emperors and the Pope and converting them their subjects (Emperors and Popes get no mercy from me after all the grief they've given me) to Islam is, I hope they're planning to follow up this DLC with one for pagans. I want to convert Europe to Suomenusko, damn it.

Brian Krakow on
    Some of those mechanics seem... iffy. And will inspire some amusing gameiness.