As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    JUNE FIRST WA LIQUOR STORE CHANGEOVER!

Over under on Bourbon brands carried at Broadway QFC: 4
    Over under on Rye Whiskeys brands carried at Broadway QFC: 2
    Over under on Gin brands carried at Broadway QFC: 6

mrt144 on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    mrt144 wrote: »

Over
    Push
    Under

What I want to know is how quickly QFC will have store-brand liquor on the shelves.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the June 1st changeover in Washington. I was in Safeway last night picking up a few things, and they already have the hard alchohol out on shelves in the wine/beer section, with white tapestries over the shelves that say "Not Yet! Come back June 1st!".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Over
    Under
    Under

That shit Canada makes doesn't count as a Rye.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TNTrooper wrote: »

The only stipulation for a Canadian rye whiskey to be labeled as such is that it be made in Canada.

Yup.

In rum-related news, my sister gave me a bottle of Ron Zacapa as an early birthday present and it is smooth as all hell. I don't recall what specific kind it is, but the bottle mentioned it was a blend of aged rums ranging from 6 to 23 years.

DarkPrimus on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Over
    Under
    Under

They shouldn't even call it that, really, since it often has no rye in the mash. I mean, come on!

I have never really enjoyed Canadian whiskey either, but that's because - like every other whiskey or liquor in general - the crappy baseline brands are the most popular and easiest to find out of the country.

There are much higher-quality Canadian whiskeys that you can get. I've seen a number of high-end single malts available at the LCBO - Glenbreton has one that looks like it's in almost the exact same bottle as Rock Hill Farms bourbon, except with a caribou on it, and a few other nice-looking ones - and Forty Creek has a few premium blended whiskeys that are apparently made completely differently and compare favourably to good bourbon. Apparently Canadian whiskey is often distilled from a blended mash without much care for the optimum conditions of each component, whereas the nice Forty Creek stuff has the components distilled separately so they start with good whiskey before blending.

I'm not sure to what extent the nicer blended Canadian whiskeys employ the addition of grain spirits and caramel for colouring/flavour, but I hope it's minimized or absent, because that's a large part of what makes it gross.

I have yet to try these though, since they have typical high-mid-shelf pricing for Ontario ($70 a bottle for the Forty Creek Confederation Oak, and $85 and up for Glenbreton single malts).

I'm really surprised everyone is taking the under on Gin.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So I recently discovered that a dry tequila Manhattan is a tasty drink, and rather pretty due to being clear (I tend to like the source-forward character of young but unfiltered alcohols like blancos). The only problem is that it has a somewhat unpleasant nose. It's really good if you like herbal tastes. I feel like a nice substitution for a sweet variation of the drink would be replacing the vermouth with jagermeister, just because the result could be named "the frat house mistake."

• HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    After spending a ton of money exploring scotch, I've toned it down a bit working my way through bourbon. I haven't worked up the gumption to spend on Van Winkle yet, but among things I've tried and liked (Elijah Craig, Bulleit, Four Roses, WT101, the super cheap 1783, which wasn't bad for the price), Craig is far and away my favorite.

I'm not the biggest taster in the world, though, so I tend to gravitate toward high proof/big flavor bourbons. Anything with too much subtlety just goes over my head. My birthday present will be Laphroaig QC unless I chicken out and get Macallan 12.

I know Canadian gets shit on a lot, but there has to be something worth exploring (aside from CC/Crown) on the shelf, right? Or is it all garbage?

Huxley on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    are you able to find any pappy van winkle?

I suspect @podly knows all about impossible to find liquor but the little research I've done seems to point to getting buddy buddy with a liquor store owner being the only way to have a good shot at getting some

Honestly I haven't noticed it, I just assumed my eyes glossed over it. Is it super hard to find, or do places just not keep it because it doesn't move like Woodford or Makers do?

edited May 2012
    Van Winkle doesn't stay on shelves because it's goddamn excellent bourbon, and VW distilleries only makes something like 7000 cases each year. Lots of stores don't even get it on the shelf because people have reserved it. You have very little chance of getting the 20 or 23 year stuff (which is $200 or $300 in the US, usually, per bottle), but if you can find the 12 year Lot B, it's a very affordable (more like $40 in the US, $70 in Ontario) and amazing drink. Very strong black cherry flavour. The 10-year versions are also really excellent. I've never seen anything beyond those two here in Canada though.

If you like high-proof, strong-flavoured bourbon, you should probably try the Jim Beam higher-end stuff, like Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek, etc. Booker's is 126 proof and the best of the lot. Another one I'd recommend for strength of flavour would be Ridgemont Reserve, but only if you like Woodford Reserve - it's a similar flavour, but stronger. Reminds many people of nail polish, if they are feeling uncharitable.

Evil Multifarious on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    10-year is available at a couple of stores in the Portland area. Think the higher-range stuff is a need-to-order situation.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Finally, summer! Time to make mint juleps, whiskey lemonade, white sangria, and dark 'n stormies!

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Generally you have to get on a waiting list for stuff like that, or find a good liquor store that doesn't have a knowledgable clientele.

Don't know how it works for government run places.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Yeah, ran by the store I frequent tonight and what I thought was Van Winkle was definitely not. So that really isn't an option. I also watched Ralfy's video on Canadian and they didn't have anything he mentioned as being decent.

So I got another bottle of Craig.

Podly wrote: »
    Generally you have to get on a waiting list for stuff like that, or find a good liquor store that doesn't have a knowledgable clientele.

Don't know how it works for government run places.

are you ever able to find the lower end pappies in the nyc area?

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Eddy, whats this van winkle stuff?
    I'll pick up a bottle for housewarming etc

Deebaser wrote: »
    Eddy, whats this van winkle stuff?
    I'll pick up a bottle for housewarming etc

pappy_van_winkle_collection.png

good bourbon is what it is

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I would like to reach through the screen, yes.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Anyone in St. Arnold's distribution area?

They have some really great brews coming out, especially for summer, like a hefeweisen, and kolsch, and a very odd but very good black kolsch.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Wonder if I can find some of this Van Winkle in the Bay Area.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Oh man it's all over. I have a quest come payday.

so it looks like I could get some old rip van winkle pretty easily but the pappy will be some epic quest type shit

so it looks like I could get some old rip van winkle pretty easily but the pappy will be some epic quest type shit

apparently pappy is like drinking apple pie with vanilla ice cream and a cherry on top

i would probably fight someone for a bottle if it came down to it.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

apparently pappy is like drinking apple pie with vanilla ice cream and a cherry on top

i would probably fight someone for a bottle if it came down to it.

yup

it's better than a significant amount of sex I've had

for real

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • NathanielFletcherNathanielFletcher Registered User regular
    Bro, Organichu, you got my respect man. :) Your a pure alcoholic and your research on this post proves it! ;) Good stuff, way to go! Cheers!

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So I secured some whisky for my cabinet.
    lagavulin-16yo.jpg1234623302-laphroaig10yo100.jpg

Good stuff, good stuff.

Oh, and I visited the Chartreuse distillery, got a bottle of the green one from there:
    Chartreuse-Verte.jpg
    At 55% it's quite a bit stronger than the yellow 40% version, but the herbs taste much clearer in the green version, and it seems to have much more character.

Rhan9 on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »

Over
    Push
    Under

What I want to know is how quickly QFC will have store-brand liquor on the shelves.

UNOFFICIAL RESULTS (I went to the Westwood Village QFC in West Seattle down by my house, rather than the Broadway store):

Bourbon - way over. They had nearly a dozen brands, if you include Jack/Gentleman Jack, but still over if you abide by the strict definition of bourbon.
    Rye - under. Only one that I could see.
    Gin - over, barely. 7 varieties on the shelf.

Unfortunately, if my QFC is any indication, we're in for a pretty massive price hike. Everything on the shelves with the exception of the uber-popular mass market brands was at least $3-4 more per bottle than they were at the state stores, and that's BEFORE you tack on the 20% tax. I really wasn't planning on increasing my liquor budget with this changeover...

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    How big was your liquor area?

So, liquor thread, I want to try out a higher-end Canadian whisky in hopes of being a bit more patriotic in my tastes. I'm trying to choose between Sazerac's Caribou Crossing

Caribou-Crossing-For-web-523x330.jpg

the Glenbreton 10-year single malt

Glen_Breton_Rare_10_Year_Old_Single_Malt_Canadian_Whisky_1.jpg

and the Forty Creek Confederation Oak

confederation-oak.jpg?w=248

But I'm worried that these expensive bottles ($85, $87, and $70) will get me a whisky that's basically a light bourbon, when I could get a big, delicious, excellent bourbon like Booker's for the same price.

I don't suppose anyone has tried these?

Islay is more of my thing, but those are some pricey bottles. Never heard of any of them though, so must be a Canadian thing.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    So I secured some whisky for my cabinet.
    lagavulin-16yo.jpg
    laphroaig10yo100.jpg

Good stuff, good stuff.

Oh, and I visited the Chartreuse distillery, got a bottle of the green one from there:
    Chartreuse-Verte.jpg
    At 55% it's quite a bit stronger than the yellow 40% version, but the herbs taste much clearer in the green version, and it seems to have much more character.

I have the lagavulin 16 and the chartreuse, myself.

I ended up not being a fan of the green drink; I think I need to find a better thing to mix it with.

Lagavulin is fucking awesome, however.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Chartreuse is a bit of an odd bird, in that it seems to divide people quite clearly into those who like it and those who don't. Personally I like it quite a bit, but some of my friends didn't think much of it when I brought a bottle back.

Had to visit the distillery, since I've been living a couple of dozen kilometers from it. The Chartreuse Massif can be seen from my apartment. :P

There are a couple of ways to drink Chartreuse. One that we had at the distillery was basically to think of it as a whisky. Add a few drops of water, and sip. An ice cube also works, since it doesn't really manage to dilute it down, but cools it a bit and adds a bit of water.

Some people here(I'm staying in Grenoble) drank this drink called Green Chaud during the winter, which is basically hot chocolate with a bit of Chartreuse mixed in. It's pretty good, but once again seems to divide people into those who don't care for it and those who find it absolutely delicious.

The student parties and such also have a local variation of a drink called TNT, which is one part Chartreuse, one part Vodka and three parts Orangina, taken as a "shooter" which is basically a double shot. It's pretty tasty IMO.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    are you able to find any pappy van winkle?

I suspect @podly knows all about impossible to find liquor but the little research I've done seems to point to getting buddy buddy with a liquor store owner being the only way to have a good shot at getting some
    Alright, you guys convinced me. I put down a couple bids on the 23-yo version on eBay. Seems like that's the only way I'm ever going to get a shot at a bottle, even if it is a bit pricey.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    I fucking love green chartreuse. A big pour with a nice ice cube, please, and I'll be all set!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    so jealous of people who can actually bid on ebay sales for nice liquor in the absence of draconian import laws

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    In honor of WA's new alcohol sales intermediaries, I have decided I should man up and start drinking my sorrows away. Recommend me a cheap to moderately priced whiskey or bourbon, thread?

Rittenhouse Bottle-in-Bond 100 proof Rye
    Buffalo Trace generic bourbon

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Rittenhouse is probably as cheap as you can get for whiskey that good