As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• burningthoughtburningthought EorzeaRegistered User regular
    Is there some way to check the status of a server; by which I mean if it's unlocked for character creation, without deleting your character to do so?

I just want to find out when/if Masamune is open for creation. I don't want to invest much on this other server, alone, despite not really many people playing right now (because 2.0 will come eventually; characters probably won't be wiped), if servers unlock relatively frequently.

EDIT: Oh, looks like the servers were locked over a month ago, and there's no timeline on when they'll be unlocked.

That's...disappointing.

Well, you have a few choices. You can make a character on another server and wait till server transfers open back up again at 2.0. Or just leave your account active and wait to see if they open creation back up before 2.0.

You can always come and play with me on Hyperion lol.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for a server transfer.

I'll admit that the bit I played last night was actually *gasp* pretty fun, but yeah; I more signed up to see if I care enough to pay for a few months to get the legacy pricing, or not.

I have played FFXI over the years primarily solo (in regards specifically to playing with PA'ers; I've come and went in a few different LS's) since, aside from mostly Bri, the PA presence in XI has been non-existent since not terribly long after launch; so I don't have any problems playing by myself. It'd just be nice to know that should the need/desire arise, there would/could be folks to team up with.

Hrm. How much are transfers?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for a server transfer.

I'll admit that the bit I played last night was actually *gasp* pretty fun, but yeah; I more signed up to see if I care enough to pay for a few months to get the legacy pricing, or not.

I have played FFXI over the years primarily solo (in regards specifically to playing with PA'ers; I've come and went in a few different LS's) since, aside from mostly Bri, the PA presence in XI has been non-existent since not terribly long after launch; so I don't have any problems playing by myself. It'd just be nice to know that should the need/desire arise, there would/could be folks to team up with.

Hrm. How much are transfers?

2.0 Transfers will most likely be free. Otherwise if they open it up as a value added service it'll probably be the industry standard of $20-25. They are planning on opening up more servers during the 2.0 launch, and a lot of returning players will want to change what server they defaulted to during the merger so it's a no brainer that there would be another free server transfer in the future.

Another neat thing that was already confirmed is that if you don't have a high level character and are willing to start over, there's going to be servers that are only open to new players only that won't allow transfers to it. So you'll be able to ride the wave again.

Have they actually stated they're going to (likely) allow transfers with 2.0? If so I won't worry about what server I'm on atm since no one seems to be playing anyway.

Have they actually stated they're going to (likely) allow transfers with 2.0? If so I won't worry about what server I'm on atm since no one seems to be playing anyway.

I vaguely remember it being mentioned when they announced language/region specific servers. I'll have to see if I can find the dev comment once I get back from work (8~ hours). They will allow server transfers at some point in the future so if that is what you are worried about then go ahead and make a character. It's a when not if type a thing.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Here's something I'm curious about. Wanted to mess a bit more with the character creator - kind of went with the basic face during the early days - but I'm worried that deleting forfeits the spot on the server. Can characters be rerolled without changing servers, or is that a no-go for now?

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    Stolls wrote: »
    Here's something I'm curious about. Wanted to mess a bit more with the character creator - kind of went with the basic face during the early days - but I'm worried that deleting forfeits the spot on the server. Can characters be rerolled without changing servers, or is that a no-go for now?

Since 2.0 is bringing in a brand new graphics engine they are allowing people to reroll their characters (while keeping all their stats). They are adding missing Race Genders, new hairstyles and other new character customization options. The reason they are doing this is so people can reroll to the new genders and because the new graphics engine displays stuff a tiny bit differently than the old engine.

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If anyone sees bassi wassi running around on Hyperion, can you toss me an invite? Game gets a touch lonely without other people to wreak havoc with.

You know, I was thinking yesterday when I was playing, the release of 11 was also pretty rough. Not quite as bad as this, but still pretty bad. When it finally came out in the states, that was the first big expansion, and it had been out for a few years.
    I guess my point is, maybe square is just really, really bad at making MMO's, but pretty good at maintaining them.

With the addition of quests, npcs in half of the towns, and so on, the game does feel much more finished now. I'm pretty sure I saw some wandering NM's the other day as well. My largest complaint is that I haven't had much luck with playing with other people. I've had about one group in 25 levels, but I guess that is because I was playing in gridania instead of Ul'dah. We'll see if my luck changes when I move cities.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    Ul'dah is the Jeuno of FFXI and the Org of WoW. All the grouping takes place around the market wards. Below level 30 there isn't a lot of grouping that takes place, just because if you can find a friend, or a decent party, most of the time people just PL up to 30 then group up. It's pretty easy to have 1 higher level friend PL you to 30 than just soloing to 30. I'll try and hop on Hyperion and help you grind a few levels. I've been preoccupied with a bunch of console games and my new full time job so I haven't played as much lately lol.

The new letter from the producer came out today and Yoshida let everyone know that they won't be showing the cinematic trailer they prepped for E3. Instead they are going to publicly release information about 2.0, along side opening up a 2.0 promo site directly after E3. I'm pretty sure its just going to be a prettier version of the 2.0 docs already available. I am super excited about the 2.0 promo site, I'd rather have screenshots of the new stuff rather than a Cinematic trailer.

Either way the hype train is a chuggin'.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    What does the new graphics engine change? Just more optimized to prevent the horrific FPS issues we had originally? Because I mean, I thought that was the problem with FF14 that they spent most of those 5 years developing the Crystal Engine? And now even that graphical engine had to be redone? My god did they get anything right at first? LOL :)

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No, no they didn't. Other than the fact that it was beautiful.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited May 2012
    JediNight wrote: »
    What does the new graphics engine change? Just more optimized to prevent the horrific FPS issues we had originally? Because I mean, I thought that was the problem with FF14 that they spent most of those 5 years developing the Crystal Engine? And now even that graphical engine had to be redone? My god did they get anything right at first? LOL :)

The engine was rebuilt from the ground up along with the server software they were using (The guy who is in charge of making the Luminous Engine which is the next generation engine SE is developing helped create the new graphics engine for FFXIV). They did this because essentially the first team did a terrible job at planning for the future, and made it really hard and complex to add new features. They rebuilt the graphics engine (it's done btw, they're now porting content) because the 1.0 version can only support 40 characters at once, and isn't very optimized. The new engine is built for Windows/PS3 development and other platform connectivity.

Basically they're wanting to fix the lag between the client and the server, improve performance on all hardware (if you can run the game now, you'll be able to run it better once 2.0 comes out), and be able to add brand new features. They're using scaleform for the UI so it'll be pretty as fuck, and they're promising DX10 support at launch, with DX11 support down the road.

Overall while everyone was bitching about how bad the game was for the first year it was out, they've been planning and executing the rebuild of the entire game. I'm not exaggerating, they're making the world zoned instead of seamless, and they're currently redesigning all of the regions (Thanalan, Coerthas, La Nocsea, Mor Dhona, etc...) and they're tweaking some of the problem areas in the city-states (Limsa, Grid, Ul'dah).

If you want more information on what 2.0 entails check out the 2.0 documents they released last October. lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/index.html

Edit: I wanted to add that the Crystal Tools was designed for single player games, aka FFXIII, and wasn't really designed with MMOs in mind. The first development team was trying to adapt it to MMO scale performance and it really can't handle it. It's fine for single player games though.

burningthought on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

The engine was rebuilt from the ground up along with the server software they were using (The guy who is in charge of making the Luminous Engine which is the next generation engine SE is developing helped create the new graphics engine for FFXIV). They did this because essentially the first team did a terrible job at planning for the future, and made it really hard and complex to add new features. They rebuilt the graphics engine (it's done btw, they're now porting content) because the 1.0 version can only support 40 characters at once, and isn't very optimized. The new engine is built with PS3 development and other platform connectivity.

Basically they're wanting to fix the lag between the client and the server, improve performance on all hardware (if you can run the game now, you'll be able to run it better once 2.0 comes out), and be able to add brand new features. They're using scaleform for the UI so it'll be pretty as fuck, and they're promising DX10 support at launch, with DX11 support down the road.

Overall while everyone was bitching about how bad the game was for the first year it was out, they've been planning and executing the rebuild of the entire game. I'm not exaggerating, they're making the world zoned instead of seamless, and they're currently redesigning all of the regions (Thanalan, Coerthas, La Nocsea, Mor Dhona, etc...) and they're tweaking some of the problem areas in the city-states (Limsa, Grid, Ul'dah).

If you want more information on what 2.0 entails check out the 2.0 documents they released last October. lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/index.html

huh

i might actually play this when all this 2.0 stuff comes out!

The engine was rebuilt from the ground up along with the server software they were using (The guy who is in charge of making the Luminous Engine which is the next generation engine SE is developing helped create the new graphics engine for FFXIV). They did this because essentially the first team did a terrible job at planning for the future, and made it really hard and complex to add new features. They rebuilt the graphics engine (it's done btw, they're now porting content) because the 1.0 version can only support 40 characters at once, and isn't very optimized. The new engine is built with PS3 development and other platform connectivity.

huh

i might actually play this when all this 2.0 stuff comes out!

It'll be pretty much the same game but with a new world to explore and a brand new storyline. All the gameplay features that are in 1.0 are going to be in 2.0. Most people just want 2.0 for the performance fixes though. If you sub before May 31st you'll be eligible for the Legacy Sub discount!

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    On the other hand, I can see rings and earrings.

FFXIV sure is beautiful on max settings.

steam_sig.png
    On the other hand, I can see rings and earrings.

FFXIV sure is beautiful on max settings.

The new max settings is probably going to be crazy too. I'm saving up for a new Desktop/Laptop just for 2.0. I don't wanna run it on my 3 year old toshiba laptop anymore. It's playable but really rough.

Is there any way to undo point allotment now? I sort of screwed up how I was assigning things a bit on my conjurer, and I'd like to dump some int for piety.

seabass wrote: »
    Is there any way to undo point allotment now? I sort of screwed up how I was assigning things a bit on my conjurer, and I'd like to dump some int for piety.

Yes. Once you get to level 30, you'll be able to do the job quest for that class. For Conjurer it would be White Mage, so make sure you have Gladiator at level 15 since it's sort of a "sub class" requirement to begin the quest. Once you complete the first quest they give you a "Keeper's Hymn." Once you have that item, go to Gridania to the Conjurer's Guild and talk to one of the NPCs there to reset your point allotment.

Just a word of warning. As of right now, you can only obtain one keepers hymn per job quest, so make sure you use them wisely. There will be more ways to obtain them in the future.

2.0 Info:

I've been answering a lot of questions about upcoming features and other inquiries about the 2.0 update. Yoshida (The Producer for XIV) has announced that they are going to publicly announce FFXIV2.0 at E3 next week. Along with the announcement he's also going to open up a 2.0 Promo site that will detail hopefully everything there is to know about 2.0. At the very least they'll have the 2.0 documents that were released Oct. 2011 in an easy to digest format.

My point is that if you have any questions or concerns about what is coming in 2.0, your best bet is to wait till E3 and when that promo site finally goes live. The reason for this is that most of the information about the 2.0 changes come from the 2.0 documents, the 2nd Letter from the Producer Live and the millions of interviews that he did the week of the original 2.0 announcement. I'm hoping that the 2.0 website will cover or at least sparknote most of the major sweeping changes that are coming.

Nonetheless, expect some giant radical changes when it comes to how the game functions this September. If you are interested in Final Fantasy XIV at all be sure to subscribe now so you'll be eligible for the legacy subscription plan ($9.99 a month with 8 chars per world vs. $14.99 for the same stuff) it's definitely worth the $30 you'll pay till 2.0.

God damnit, I sound like a Square-Enix rep, but I swear i'm not.

seabass wrote: »

Yes. Once you get to level 30, you'll be able to do the job quest for that class. For Conjurer it would be White Mage, so make sure you have Gladiator at level 15 since it's sort of a "sub class" requirement to begin the quest. Once you complete the first quest they give you a "Keeper's Hymn." Once you have that item, go to Gridania to the Conjurer's Guild and talk to one of the NPCs there to reset your point allotment.

Just a word of warning. As of right now, you can only obtain one keepers hymn per job quest, so make sure you use them wisely. There will be more ways to obtain them in the future.

Yeah, I just got my 'sub-jobs' up to the right point over the last couple days. So, I'll probably run those later. Can they be solo-ed at 30, or will I need to bring some friends? I'm interested to see how the advanced jobs work.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I got smashed trying to solo BLM quest, better bring some muscle.

edited May 2012
    The first job quest is usually solo-able. The rest are not.

Well, once you get to the AF chest grabs, those can be soloed by certain classes, but it'll make your life much easier to bring people.

Character creation on certain worlds have been resumed:

As a result of the implementation of patch 1.22 and the emergency maintenance which was performed on Ul’dah today, during which Ul’dah’s network circuits were redistributed and a new server equipment was added, character creation on the following Worlds will resume on May 30, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. (PDT).

Affected Worlds:
    - Masamune
    - Durandal
    - Aegis
    - Gungnir

We will continue to monitor the server load in these Worlds and consider further action accordingly. Please note that we may have to suspend character creation once again depending on the situation. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Once again, we deeply apologize for the inconvenience this suspension caused.

burningthought on
    Yay. Ill start over on masamune tonight

ForceVoid wrote: »
    I got smashed trying to solo BLM quest, better bring some muscle.

balls, I will see if I can find some friends then. Still haven't found a linkshell.

I've been pretty busy with product training for my new job so i've been too exhausted to try and hop on XIV the last couple of weeks. I'm gonna try to get on for an hour or two after I get off from work, 7PM CST. I'm Claire Farron on Hyperion if anyone wants to send me a tell. Otherwise if you need help with a quest or something and i'm not on, send me a PM and i'll try and work out a time to get on to help. I have a few maxed out classes and pretty broad knowledge of the game.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Sooooooooooooo.................. any chocobos yet?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    So I checked back in a few weeks ago and life post Tera is just not condusive to this game :( I'm 50 on all my DOM/DOW and started the job quests.... But when I saw "lol run way the fuck over here" I just logged out. I really want to like this game but :/ one full year giving it a shot is about as much as I can do atm.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Played for awhile tonight and had a good time. Remade my guy on Masamune, Ul'dah.

Two questions though...I'm a gladiator and it doesn't start you with a shield; and I cannot for the life of me find a shield. There's one I found in a store but its like 5k and uh...no. Where can I get one?

Second question; I think I don't "get" mining. Is there a trick to it? It seems to be just completely random with the illusion of where you swing having any real meaning.

edited June 2012
    Played for awhile tonight and had a good time. Remade my guy on Masamune, Ul'dah.

Two questions though...I'm a gladiator and it doesn't start you with a shield; and I cannot for the life of me find a shield. There's one I found in a store but its like 5k and uh...no. Where can I get one?

Second question; I think I don't "get" mining. Is there a trick to it? It seems to be just completely random with the illusion of where you swing having any real meaning.

You can buy a square maple shield from one of the characters in the inn. Not the leve desk, but the other one, where retainers are dealt with. NPC on the far left of that desk as you face it if I recall. He sells starting gear for all classes (up through rank 12~ish).
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Sooooooooooooo.................. any chocobos yet?

Yup, though I don't have mine yet. You can also get a gobbue mount, which is kind of worth a guffaw, but huge enough to be difficult to use.

seabass on
    Greg USN wrote: »
    So I checked back in a few weeks ago and life post Tera is just not condusive to this game :( I'm 50 on all my DOM/DOW and started the job quests.... But when I saw "lol run way the fuck over here" I just logged out. I really want to like this game but :/ one full year giving it a shot is about as much as I can do atm.

I have a subscription to TERA right now, and I cannot stand the death march to the level cap. I have to have a bit more motivation than just quest logs. I've been playing TERA for almost a year too, I started off in kTERA and loved the actiony battle system, but I stopped playing after a few months because I wanted to know more about the story, but it looks like EME didn't really do much to spruce up anything story wise.

If you have all DoW/DoMs to 50 you really need to unlock the jobs for your main classes. Once you do that you can start doing the Raids(AV/CC) and Primals (Ifrit/Moogle/Garuda). Job quests are a little bit like limit breaks in XI. You have to do one quest every 5 levels starting at level 30.

Wow. You weren't just whistling dixie. Those dire mites ruined me. Still, I ran around a bit and saw some cool things, so it wasn't a total wash.

Shit, I missed your mining question earlier: mozk-tabetai.com/

Checkout that site and look up Gathering > Miner/Mining > Grade 1. Mining is pretty simple, when you engage the point you'll see something that says "Aim" and it'll be a vertical bar. The default position is considered 0, and anything above 0 is considered positive 0-4. Below the default position it'll be 0 through -4. Each ore type has a "sweet spot" which you'll find on the website above. You'll wanna level up off copper or tin ores. So copper ore's sweet spot will always be +3 on the aim bar. It's pretty simple.

Once you aim you'll need to hit a spot on the radar looking thing in order to obtain the ore. You'll find the sweet spot on the radar for what usually ends up being copper ore after a few minutes of hunting it. Once you find that sweet spot, if you don't get it on the first strike it's usually some uncommon mineral or a gemstone.

edited June 2012

Shit, I missed your mining question earlier: mozk-tabetai.com/

Checkout that site and look up Gathering > Miner/Mining > Grade 1. Mining is pretty simple, when you engage the point you'll see something that says "Aim" and it'll be a vertical bar. The default position is considered 0, and anything above 0 is considered positive 0-4. Below the default position it'll be 0 through -4. Each ore type has a "sweet spot" which you'll find on the website above. You'll wanna level up off copper or tin ores. So copper ore's sweet spot will always be +3 on the aim bar. It's pretty simple.

Once you aim you'll need to hit a spot on the radar looking thing in order to obtain the ore. You'll find the sweet spot on the radar for what usually ends up being copper ore after a few minutes of hunting it. Once you find that sweet spot, if you don't get it on the first strike it's usually some uncommon mineral or a gemstone.

Sooo..there's no Tin outside of Ul'dah? I have to go all the way to Limsa Lomisa or whatever to mine there?

Ugh. Are there quick ways to get there; or is like FFXI where the first time is a slot then afterward you can use teleport or whatever.

EDIT: Also what do secondary weapons for crafting do? Like, for mining, there's the usual pickaxe and then there's a hammer or something that's "secondary"?

The Dude With Herpes on

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    You can use the airship or teleport if you've been there, of course. As for the secondary DoL stuff, it is to gather the "alternate" resource at the sparkling points you see: grasses, stones, or spearfishing.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They have changed enough things that I don't know how to play any more.

Seriously, I ran outside the gate and couldn't attack a bug out there because I don't know how.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    They have changed enough things that I don't know how to play any more.

Seriously, I ran outside the gate and couldn't attack a bug out there because I don't know how.

Hit the "F" key to go into Active, target the enemy, hit enter, voila.

ffworld.com/?rub=news&page=voir&id=2285 - 2.0 PICTURES

Same screens on an kotaku:
    http://kotaku.com/5916028/wow-final-fantasy-xiv-youve-changed

Looks really impressive. Like a totally different game.

• YeltaYelta Registered User regular
    The new screens have me so excited ^^

I know what we are talking about in this weeks podcast!

edited June 2012
    So if I want to do more than 4 battleleves every 8 hours, I'm assuming I have to either travel to different cities to get new ones; or to (Once I get past 10) do them at multiple camps nearby and adjust the difficulty?

Is 8 still the max you can do every 8 hours? It says I can hold 14 leves at a time.

EDIT: Also, if I wanted to take an airship from Ul'dah to Gridania, say; is that something you can do? I don't see an icon or indication on the Ul'dah map that says Airship.

The Dude With Herpes on

So if I want to do more than 4 battleleves every 8 hours, I'm assuming I have to either travel to different cities to get new ones; or to (Once I get past 10) do them at multiple camps nearby and adjust the difficulty?

Is 8 still the max you can do every 8 hours? It says I can hold 14 leves at a time.

EDIT: Also, if I wanted to take an airship from Ul'dah to Gridania, say; is that something you can do? I don't see an icon or indication on the Ul'dah map that says Airship.

Levequest: I don't know, I don't really do levequests often enough to run into that issue and I haven't done leves in a really long time so anything I remember might have been changed. This link might help you with that: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/guildleve01.html

Airship, basically you need to go to the wellhead lift in Ul'dah, then take it up to the Airship landing. You don't need to do any special quests or anything and you'll be able to go from Ul'dah to Limsa or Grid. If there was a quest, I don't remember it at least.

Hmm...i'll check it out again later; I saw the lift thing the other day, and I had no idea what it was; but it didn't seem to do anything at all. Maybe I missed something; or maybe I need to progress in the story more or something.