As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starhawk it's like Firefly with more Macross. Game's out today!

124»

• Options
    BigWhiteRyanBigWhiteRyan Registered User regular
    Malechai wrote: »
    So, there's not a lot of anti-air options. You've got beam and artillery, and the rocket launcher. So why is the rocket launcher so damn useless? Is it me, or does it take forever to lock, and when you fire it takes one button press for the enemy to evade it? It's frustrating that the only other way to take down Hawks is to fly one yourself, and I'm terrible at it. And the Hawks dominate the matches so often, I feel pretty damn useless most the time. I played for about 2 hours tonights, locked and fired about 25 rockets, and none of them got a kill. And I'm waiting till they get close when possible! I feel completely powerless to good enemy Hawk pilots, and it's ruining my fun most of the time. Any tips?

Unfortunately the rocket launcher is basically a nuisance to a good pilot. Best way to get kills with them is to either have a buddy there alternating shots with you or to use it on a hawk that is engaged with a teammate in a dogfight. I know I love seeing a missile coming from the ground helping me with a squirmy opponent.

Hrm. Well, next session I guess I'll attempt to snipe the pilots out of their seats -- although I'm not that good with the rifle, that sounds like it might have a better chance of being effective.

• Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    The only way to effectively take down a Hawk at this point is either Dogfighting or Turrets. If you can snipe a pilot out of the air.. well sir.. you are amazing

• Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Your not able to snipe them while in flight. But when they are on the ground the driver is an exposed target and I have rocket sniped a pilot patched up his bird and turned it against his team before.

On skills. I had a thought at work today. If you loaded up a razor back with three people who had: low profile, turret jammer, and stealth would all three skills stack on the jeep?

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    BigWhiteRyanBigWhiteRyan Registered User regular
    Why... WHY... did they think being able to knife buildings to the ground was a good idea. I mean, seriously. For every cool fucking idea in this game, there's an equally retarded one.

• Options
    Your not able to snipe them while in flight. But when they are on the ground the driver is an exposed target and I have rocket sniped a pilot patched up his bird and turned it against his team before.

On skills. I had a thought at work today. If you loaded up a razor back with three people who had: low profile, turret jammer, and stealth would all three skills stack on the jeep?

Dude, I wonder! We have to test this theory out.

Why... WHY... did they think being able to knife buildings to the ground was a good idea. I mean, seriously. For every cool fucking idea in this game, there's an equally retarded one.

It's true. The ability to knife buildings is retarded. One, its just hard to stop someone circling around a building and knifing. Two, it makes no bloody sense. That all being said, I use this ability because other elements of the game are so unbalanced at the moment. Gotta win you know. However, I've been shut down by skilled individuals with a rocket launcher who just patiently wait for me to land in their base. You can easily rack up kills if you know someones main goal is to stab your base to death.

• Options
    Great get home from work and the servers are down.

In other news killing ten turrets in one round is hard.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    I was hoping when you said the servers were down that it meant a patch would be coming..

not the case

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and trade this in towards something else. I think someone else mentioned it earlier, for every cool thing about this game there's something retarded. The retarded shit makes me more mad than the cool shit makes me happy.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    My dude, patience...

At least wait until they've completed their global release. At that point they will be patching/updating. If after that you're not satisfied I will probably join you!

sliver911 on
  • Options
    Well I just had my first moment of pure frustration. An opponent was glitched in a way that made him more or less invincible. He was showing up as white on the radar and thus was not a valid target. I couldn't lock on and my guns would not track on him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the friendly fire rules were making incidental hits non damaging.

In other news killing ten turrets will drive me insane since they fixed the maps so that bunker raping a base is more difficult.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    You just have to get lucky Malechai. Once and a while you'll run across a server where someone has dedicated themselves to laying turrets the whole game. Make sure its a 30 min game. Fly in, stab a turret, repeat.

You'll have 10 in no time, and your buddy will just keep dropping them lol

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Finally got a copy of the game. Clan me up, please.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Invite sent.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    What's the knife building/vechiles skill? Bruiser? Unlocked it and don't see myself switching anytime soon. Props to Sliver for pointing out how much it rules.

Only gripe that remains are the tanks. Not so much now that they can be knifed but they still irk me.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options

Invite sent.

Invite accepted. Gonna blow through SP to knock the rust off (and hoo boy, I'm rusty), then do MP proper.

• Options

lightboxinteractive.com/blog/2012/5/25/starhawk-update-101001.html

The first of a few updates to fix this game up! Finally!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Well disappointed about the shield nerf it needed some tweaking but fifty percent is probably too much, beam turrets rip through it in seconds as is. Glad to see them making the homing missile better though, that thing was practically worthless outside of strafing attacks.

As for the tank getting nerfed thank fucking god. That thing was way to accurate to take down a hawk strafing it from beyond the guns actually locking onto it. Maybe now the ground pounder load out won't be as popular anymore.

Now if only they would let you dumb fire weapons while driving the bike.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Apparently they're going to tweak balancing issues over 3 patches. We'll see how it goes. I'm with you, I am most excited about the Tank nerf. Also they lowered the cost of the portable base thang. Thats pretty sweet I suppose, as long as you can get out of a base rape situation and set one up.

• Options
    Well you would have to be proactive and get it on the field before your trapped. Unfortunately this is a double edged sword and the other edge is quite a bit sharper. Now someone that is camping a team can drop a pod beacon on them allowing for the whole other team to just fall from the sky inside their base. Really even getting a beacon up outside your base usually dose not last long unless people are actually defending it.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    600929_426478530707722_211371568885087_1435000_639306209_n.jpg

Well I do always fly. But yeah that's the go to weapons.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    What's the appeal of flak? It seems slow to fire, and you can only carry, what, 6-8 per pickup?

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Flak easily brings down opposing hawks. I would recommend trying flak in a dogfight, you might see the light then.. :D

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    I'm not enjoying this nearly as much as Warhawk, for a lot of reasons. Seriously thinking about selling if for GameSpot bucks.

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    The game is better now. People are still dumb though. I have to run around the base to make sure we don't have three supply bunkers and three watchtowers and three vulture stations. Cmon guys, everyone doesn't need their own personal speeder bike maker thing.

• Options
    What's the appeal of flak? It seems slow to fire, and you can only carry, what, 6-8 per pickup?

Get right on an opponents tail fire the flak gun watch them go down. A clean hit against any pilot is almost a guaranteed kill.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Just picked this up on a whim.
    Hoooly shit this game is amazing.