As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Body Shop

aloucks aloucks Registered User new member
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I got in an accident in April and took the car in to be repaired, while in the shop my car was stolen. The body shop wants me to pay for the repairs on the car. My question is am I required to pay for the repairs?

aloucks on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    aloucks wrote:
    I got in an accident in April and took the car in to be repaired, while in the shop my car was stolen. The body shop wants me to pay for the repairs on the car. My question is am I required to pay for the repairs?

No, you can't pay for products that were never delivered to you.

If this body shop is a real service and not a shade-tree mechanic, they should have insurance to cover situations like this, and give you a cash settlement to cover any losses YOU have experienced from their failure of security.

If they don't see things this way, tell them you will call local TV stations and tell them exactly what you posted here. If that doesn't move them, lawyer up.

But do not pay them a DIME.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hell, I'd almost be inclined to think they were in on the "theft."

• Options
    Thanks for the posts

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Was the car just stolen? What's the time frame here from when it was put in the shop in April, to when you were notified it was stolen, to today?

Have they filed a police report?

Have YOU filed a police report?

Have you called your insurance provider?

Do these things. Then get an attorney.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    The car was stolen april 18, reports filed, same day, I have been in a rental car from the time it was stolen. I have been dealing with thei Insurance company. Just don't know if I should pay for the repairs or not

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Did they really ask you for the money? Because the sheer audacity of that is astounding.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    You should NOT pay for the repairs, you are not in any way liable for them. Their insurance company should pay all costs for the rental car you've been given as well as replacing your automobile, plus the body shop should be liable for any time you've had to devote to this clusterfuck that you had to take off work, as well as any other out of pocket expenses you've had to pay.

Firmly tell them you are not going to pay for repairs that you cannot even verify were done on a car that was stolen from their shop.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    thanks for the insight

• Options
    SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Firmly tell them you are not going to pay for repairs that you cannot even verify were done on a car that was stolen from their shop.

This, 100 times this. They almost certainly have a sign hanging on their fence that says "sorry if your shit gets stolen, not our fault." It's sad that their (unverified) hard work got stolen along with your car, I guess, but there's no reason for you to go to any more trouble for them than they did for you.

Sporked on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If your insurance company has been dealing with the body shop (in the case of the original repairs), then refer them to your insurance company. To me, it sounds like they're trying to double dip, getting money from the company and from you. How much damage was there? Was the car drivable after the accident? If not, then that's a good indication that they did the work, but regardless, that's not your problem.

badpoet on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Wow. I have to admire the sheer balls of that. Holy shit.

Not only should you not pay them, you should also mention to their insurance company that they're trying to milk you for the money.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    aloucks wrote:

haha, no. you can't be required to pay for something you don't actually receive.

as mentioned, tell this to your insurance company or theirs and have a laugh about it.

if you get your car back then the question of paying for the repairs can come up again, but till then do not pay.

• Options
    Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    Hahahahaha. That's fantasticly bastardly of them. So if they had told you that instead of repairing your car they got you a new one, but then it got stolen, would you have had to pay for that too?

No you don't owe them any money on a service you have no proof that they performed.