As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prepaid cellphone plan in the US

12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend is going to stay in San Francisco for the next two months, she'll be leaving in a week. We were wondering what kind of options there are for her to have a prepaid cellphone plan, including data if possible.
She has a EU-spec HTC sensation, which supports the following frequencies:

HSPA/WCDMA:
Europe/Asia/T-Mobile US: 900/AWS/2100 MHz
Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
850/900/1800/1900 MHz

The main draw for her is using Google Maps for Navigation.

I was also wondering is there is any good Navigation app for Android that does not rely on an internet connection - I am an iPhone person myself and actually use iGo since two years when travelling through Europe, but for my girlfriend that question did not come up yet. If such a solution would be cheaper than a data plan, we might go down that route.

davidoc0.jpg
12gauge on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    T-Mobile has some really great pay-as-you-go plans, but I don't know if they'll work with that particular phone. You may want to call/email their American customer support to find out.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    T-Mobile has some really great pay-as-you-go plans, but I don't know if they'll work with that particular phone. You may want to call/email their American customer support to find out.

Will do, thanks. I did actually look into the plans that T-Mobile offers prior to creating the thread - how does prepaid work on a monthly basis? Also, I did see this here:
    Monthly Plans: Features available for 30 days; if sufficient account balance, plans automatically renew at the end of 30 days. If balance is insufficient to renew for 60 days, account will be converted to Prepaid - Pay As You Go.
    Does that mean I put on $30, switch to the plan, once the month is over repeat?

The 100 minutes/5GB data plan would sound great otherwise.

davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    12gauge wrote: »

Will do, thanks. I did actually look into the plans that T-Mobile offers prior to creating the thread - how does prepaid work on a monthly basis? Also, I did see this here:
    Monthly Plans: Features available for 30 days; if sufficient account balance, plans automatically renew at the end of 30 days. If balance is insufficient to renew for 60 days, account will be converted to Prepaid - Pay As You Go.

Pretty much, or just get a $60 card and she'd be covered for both months up front. She'll also need to get a Sim card, a little chip that goes under the battery, either from a T-Mobile retailer or she can call customer service, there's usually a $5-10 charge for this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Gaardean wrote: »

Pretty much, or just get a $60 card and she'd be covered for both months up front. She'll also need to get a Sim card, a little chip that goes under the battery, either from a T-Mobile retailer or she can call customer service, there's usually a $5-10 charge for this.

Cool - I saw that they charge 6 bucks for it, no problem here. Looking at Google Maps, finding a t-mobile shop should also not prove too difficult.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    Gaardean wrote: »

Cool - I saw that they charge 6 bucks for it, no problem here. Looking at Google Maps, finding a t-mobile shop should also not prove too difficult.

Call ahead to verify that they have individual pre-paid sims available. Official stores usually have them, but if they're just a retail franchise, they may not carry them. The alternative, if you can't find one that carries sims by themselves is to buy the cheapest pre-paid phone you can find ($10-20) and just use that one.

steam_sig.png