As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I rock my 200mm to compensate for the [PHOTO]

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Gotta admit, the Pentax Q is a fickle friend. When things click, they really click, but noise can quickly start to be an issue at ISO800 and above it seems. Dynamic range is impressive and you can pull impressive amounts of detail, but splotchy patterns and unfixable noise begins to appear. Mind you, this is done with NO ASSISTANCE from the camera, so everything is turned off. I'll keep shooting for a few more days and start turning on the camera's processes and see what comes up, but I love how tiny it is and how it just beckons to be played with.

Grate1.jpg
    Creamy bokeh. This was at f1.9 at ISO 125. Pretty impressive.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Maybe it is the processing/jpg compression, but that image looks like it has a slightly amount of noise in the blurred parts of the image.

On another note, I'm guessing f/1.9 on those pentax lenses is the same as f/1.9 on a 35mm/DSLR lens and doesn't have some sort of weird ratio due to its size. Correct?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    F-stops are f-stops. Depth of field is thinner with larger sensors, however. That and the lens 'crop factor.'

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gotta admit, the Pentax Q is a fickle friend. When things click, they really click, but noise can quickly start to be an issue at ISO800 and above it seems. Dynamic range is impressive and you can pull impressive amounts of detail, but splotchy patterns and unfixable noise begins to appear. Mind you, this is done with NO ASSISTANCE from the camera, so everything is turned off. I'll keep shooting for a few more days and start turning on the camera's processes and see what comes up, but I love how tiny it is and how it just beckons to be played with.

Image goes snip

I dunno, it looks a bit nervous. The far background is ok enough, but everyone close to the focus point that is OoF is really distracting. Also blown highlights everywhere, but that's not the point of this.

I also dislike when you can see patterns this easy in the OoF highlights.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Wheeee, the D5100 arrived today!

Holy hell, is this an upgrade from my D50! The screen is gorgeous, the viewfinder/additional focus points are awesome, and the image quality is great. The movie mode is awesome, although that's a whole new game for me to learn.

I can't wait to put this thing through its paces!

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Image goes snip

I dunno, it looks a bit nervous. The far background is ok enough, but everyone close to the focus point that is OoF is really distracting. Also blown highlights everywhere, but that's not the point of this.

I also dislike when you can see patterns this easy in the OoF highlights.

Well, to be fair, I am not being gentle. I'm pushing Camera Raw sliders pretty far...

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Sheesh, I've been shooting more with this thing but hardly processing. Also I've found that f1.9 is stupid shallow. I wonder if they will make a macro lens sometime for the Q system. I know there are adapters available.

Untitled.jpg

I do have to bump up noise reduction to clear out the shadows in the higher ISOs, but this little guy is filling me with that sense of wonder when you get a new camera and you're not quite sure how itll work out.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Does it shoot color? :P

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Went the the zoo last week. Thought I'd post my favorite photo from the day.

timon_chilling_smaller_resolution_by_tmbroe01-d4ywrqr.jpg

• Options
    These two from my Q in an impromptu photo-shoot. I quite like watches.

Chronograph2.jpg

Chronograph1.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Tried some deserty lookin' photos.

7174730548_14279b9ea9_o.jpg
    liv desert10 by jeff25rs, on Flickr

7174731132_d9403ee311_o.jpg
    liv desert 4 by jeff25rs, on Flickr

7174730870_50315db0ce_o.jpg
    liv desert5 by jeff25rs, on Flickr

7174730978_296417a37c_o.jpg
    liv desert2 by jeff25rs, on Flickr

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Those are magic Cow. Epic location, light and a perfect model for it.

I really wish those trees/shrubs weren't in the background on the first one though.

Mustang on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Needs more Fallout-ish costumes :)

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Mustang wrote: »
    Those are magic Cow. Epic location, light and a perfect model for it.

I really wish those trees/shrubs weren't in the background on the first one though.

I could definitely remove them. I did that for a lot of others in that set. I was trying different methods of removing the crap on the horizon because this was actually shot in a dry pond bed surrounded by trees, houses, and shops. On that specific photo I did a lens blur with a depth map to make the trees/background more blurred in the hopes that it would be less distracting that way.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Hey @CommunistCow !

What do you think about using speedlights in a studio environment. Obviously the AB800s or any larger flashes will provide much more light but would a pair of flashes and maybe some soft box attachments or some shoot through umbrellas do well for a home studio environment? If need be, could a pair of speedlights provide a nice all white backdrop or would they just not have enough power and spread to do so?

Specifically I am thinking the Pentax 540 FGZ flash which is a beefy fucker and did singe my pants when I accidentally triggered it and it was on my lap, firing at full power... Thoughts?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    That depends on what you are shooting. If you are doing product photography a flash should certainly be enough to blast a 3-4' background completely white but if you are shooting a person against a 9 foot seamless you will probably need 2 flashes to get the whole background evenly lit.

With a low enough aperture and a high enough power on a single flash you could probably light a whole 9' seamless but if you are lighting from one side you will probably get one side so bright it starts bleeding into the subject. So if you could figure out a way to have the light aimed from directly above or below the subject at a background. That will put the light fall off around the edges and that will be easier to deal with.

So long story short is that its easier with two lights but it is still doable with a single light and planning around it.

Edit: even with an ab800 I wouldn't want to try and use a single light from the side to light a background if I was going for even light.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So I tried shooting film for the first time in 12 years last weekend (when I was using P&Ss and was still a kid).

385687_302171556535994_120642854688866_691279_339852127_n.jpg

It's fun, but I really need to get better with MF.

• Options
    Pretty good stuff. I think the bottom shot could use more light on her face. The tilted look works reasonably well with this shoot but just don't over do it. (I had a phase of shooting everything tilted and it took me a while to get out of it.)

• Options
    Photos from my vacation to the outer banks in North Carolina

7318718560_21e0669de9_o.jpg
    bridge by jeff25rs, on Flickr

7318718470_f2c49dfdce_o.jpg
    sand wood by jeff25rs, on Flickr

7318718508_8c062aef4b_o.jpg
    flower by jeff25rs, on Flickr

• Options
    msh1283msh1283 Registered User regular
    Photos from my vacation to the outer banks in North Carolina

On the first shot, I really like the contrasting vegetation between the two sides, but I'd think about maybe cloning out the two bigger pieces of brush (one at the edge of the frame and the other at the vanishing point) on the left side to emphasize it.

I'm trying to mess around with a bunch of portrait stuff. Learning as I go. Criticism on the post would be swell.

Self portrait. Pretend the top of the window isn't intersecting my head.
    7346133718_59019d650b_z.jpg
    s1 by mechanicalmatt, on Flickr

Messing around with some different b/w conversion techniques. And reminding myself not to shoot portraits wide open from this angle.
    7346140804_6b4daf073a_z.jpg
    p2 by mechanicalmatt, on Flickr

• Options
    In the first one the background is a 1 stop or so brighter than your face. This can work out if the background is completely lacking distraction such as solid white. Also the way the light is coming from the sides and maybe slightly behind you is putting a little bit of an odd shadow on your left eye. If you are going to do bright side lighting you still want to have at least some modest fill in the front.

I'm kinda meh about the second shot and I think it could also use some more brightness in the face.

• Options
    I saw this on reddit and just had to post it here because goddamn is this some awesome cinematography.

High speed camera on a high speed robotic arm creates cool visual effects:

• Options
    KrubixCubeKrubixCube JapanRegistered User regular
    That video blows my god damn mind. That is such a better looking/friggin' cool alternative to CG close up effects that are used everywhere these days.

sig.gif
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    Very cool. I wonder if that arm is an old robot from a car manufacturer.

XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Holy crap. Doesn't even look real. That's wonderful.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KrubixCube wrote: »
    That video blows my god damn mind. That is such a better looking/friggin' cool alternative to CG close up effects that are used everywhere these days.

I know. I just want to go there and work for them.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and took some pictures of... bees!

7407239942_8a860f8539_z.jpg

7407253638_4e830c28f7_z.jpg

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Those are NSFW... for plants.

They are cute though. :3

• Options
    Thanks! I'm finding that I don't really like shooting people. They're generally ugly. Flowers, animals, landscapes, and the like, though, I find more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe not as immediately artistic as some photography, but I like the challenge of making otherwise "boring" subjects interesting in some way.

Like red pandas!
    7413464114_666e677839_z.jpg

7413462658_2c32b400ee_z.jpg

• Options
    Love LizardLove Lizard Registered User regular
    just starting out, would love feedback. reading this thread is very inspiring/humbling.
    599101_10100837285609889_710435569_n.jpg

389668_10100837315584819_1305312003_n.jpg

599389_10100837303109819_787528509_n.jpg

599742_10100837370230309_1051904909_n.jpg

554693_10100827851984949_111052233_n.jpg

599001_10100839422387769_1315186026_n.jpg

538453_10100837360674459_641906974_n.jpg

• Options
    Lizard: I would suggest that you either stop using HDR or spend a lot of time learning how to do it /perfectly/ so you don't have the weird haloing and odd saturation of colors.

IMO the best kind of HDR is the kind that doesn't even look HDRed. Check out this guy's work for some examples: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/hdr-plea.shtml
    If you want to continue shooting these industrial type locations you might want to try doing some B&W and see if that helps cut down on the cluttered look.

• Options
    I'm not sure if he's doing HDR specifically, but yeah, the colors are oversaturated and the pictures are underexposed. I can replicate this "not exactly HDR" look in Lightroom by messing with the highlights too far -- increase the Fill and up the Blacks and you get this weirdly oversaturated dark look like that.

• Options
    Its not just that there is some pretty bad haloing in the first picture near the edge of the building. Similarly in the night picture with the crane you can see some bad haloing around the middle reflection in the water and around the light from the top of the building on the left. Those are usual artifacts of Photomatix and other HDR programs. It certainly could be done with some bad masking work but I doubt that's what caused it.

• Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    I got to play with a 1.2 50mm as part of my Digital Photography class...I think I'm in love.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm guessing it just happened with editing. Although if you use photomatix right, you can get really good HDR without any haloing - it's what I used/use for real estate photography and never get any haloing.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm guessing it just happened with editing. Although if you use photomatix right, you can get really good HDR without any haloing - it's what I used/use for real estate photography and never get any haloing.

I've messed around with photomatix and I've found it really really easy to go overboard with the tone mapping. It seems like at least with that program you have to make super subtle adjustments to prevent things from looking too fake. I've found the Enfuse HDR Lightroom plugin to be much easier to work with.

@Prospicience if you have any recommendations on how to use photomatix well I would love to hear those.

• Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    Went to a four hour lighting and portraiture workshop yesterday, portraits aren't really my thing but it was time well spent, learned a lot about the subject and had a good time.

I also got to finger a Leica S2, so that was fun, the detail was amazing.

76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Man, haven't posted for awhile. Didn't really do much significant other than my college food photography assignement. Please critique away.

7439447146_dfe934e091_z.jpg
    1 7X5 by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7439440320_91eaefc48e_z.jpg
    2 7X5 by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7439425254_aacdd84555_z.jpg
    4 7X5 by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7439473456_677537c661_z.jpg
    _1010322 by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7439470782_cc56905bdf_z.jpg
    _1010117 by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7439464502_65ebaea576_z.jpg
    _1010265 by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

Generally feel that I still need to learn to compose and light a scene better.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    The first few look tasty! the last two look like they're made with a different setup, which is a shame. The last one could use a bit more light and contrast and the second to last one has that bit of whipped cream in the bottom right corner that looks a bit overblown on my screen and it could also use a bit more light, especially on the cupcakes themselves.

Also, is your signature a picture of the ill-fated Japanese hip-hop producer Nujabi? He's cool, I love his music.

This discussion has been closed.