As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Bitch and Moan About Cancelled Comics

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Ultimate Adventures was awesome

the idea is terrible (rip off Batman and Robin)

but it was so good

Keith, what the hell? We're agreeing on something that isn't related to DC comics? Blasphemy.

Also, Mai-Kero, Hawk-Owl fought Cap to a standstill, if I remember correctly.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azrael wrote: »
    Azrael. Well, based on quality, yes it should have been cancelled, but O'Neil should have been taken off way before it got there, and the ending pretty well fucked up any chance of him coming back under someone who gave a shit.

And Agent-X. Great stuff, and I thought it was good even without Simone and UDON in the middle. Would have liked to have an ongoing with Hayden and Taskmaster and the rest, with the same sort of lax adherence to Marvel continuity.

Deadpool is working with Agency X now in Cable and Deadpool, and has already had a friendly run in with Taskmaster, but he's not with the Agency.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azrael wrote: »
    Azrael. Well, based on quality, yes it should have been cancelled, but O'Neil should have been taken off way before it got there, and the ending pretty well fucked up any chance of him coming back under someone who gave a shit.

And Agent-X. Great stuff, and I thought it was good even without Simone and UDON in the middle. Would have liked to have an ongoing with Hayden and Taskmaster and the rest, with the same sort of lax adherence to Marvel continuity.

Deadpool is working with Agency X now in Cable and Deadpool, and has already had a friendly run in with Taskmaster, but he's not with the Agency.

I know, but it's not the same, and Alex has been used I think twice since the series ended. Taskmaster has been around but I like him better with the Agency rather than all-out evil as he is now.

Azrael on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know it wasn't an A-list comic. But I always thought Darkhawk had a certain charm. Thought the origin had good potential. Too bad about half way into the series they got worse and worse.

VoodooV on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love Darkhawk.

He's in The Loners mini-series although its not particularly awesome.

It's okay though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Darkhawk is rather awesome.

Sleepwalker too.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • melkoremelkore Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    I'm liking The Loners quite a bit but I think it needs to kick it out of neutral. Issues 3 & 4 were pretty quiet. I just hope 5 and 6 help finish it out and it becomes ongoing.

melkore on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just honestly want to see if Phil finally gives in and dons the costume again. I mean, apparently it was destroyed, but I don't trust that. I always loved the hero Green Goblin stories.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just honestly want to see if Phil finally gives in and dons the costume again. I mean, apparently it was destroyed, but I don't trust that. I always loved the hero Green Goblin stories.

Really? I've never enjoyed villains as heroes.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007

catwoman

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    Like you've said before, if I recall correctly, Catwoman isn't a villain in the traditional sense. I mean, stealing is a victimless crime!

I'd sooner call her a femme fatale myself.

But specifically, I was referring to the transformation of murderous characters such a Goblin and Venom into heroic personas. The edge of the character designs is lost in the process, and the result is worthless.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    melkore wrote: »
    I'm liking The Loners quite a bit but I think it needs to kick it out of neutral. Issues 3 & 4 were pretty quiet. I just hope 5 and 6 help finish it out and it becomes ongoing.
    I just wanna know where the "Julie Power's a lesbian!" stuff came from.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    melkore wrote: »
    I just wanna know where the "Julie Power's a lesbian!" stuff came from.

Umm, first appearance would be the most recent issue of Loners.

Squashua on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, I know. What I'm saying is it came from nowhere.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2007
    You could say that the seeds for it were planted in Runaways/

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

Seeing as how the only "trade" copy of Runaways I could find was a tiny little paperback-sized thing with completely unreadable text because it was way too small... I wouldn't know.

Squashua on
    edited July 2007
    Add another book to the list of canceled titles.
    AQM_Cv57_solicit.jpg
    AQUAMAN: SWORD OF ATLANTIS #57
    Written by Tad Williams
    Art by Shawn McManus
    Cover by Kevin Maguire
    Young Arthur must accept the role that destiny has cast him in…and accept his place as the new Aquaman!
    On sale October 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • FINAL ISSUE

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's too bad, as I was really enjoying the relaunch.

But let's face it, the title was doomed from the start.

Aquaman just can't get a break.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish they´d just throw away the Namor origin and bring back the classsic happy-go-lucky Aquaman.

JCM on
    edited July 2007
    Man "classic" Aquaman hasn't existed for over two decades.

Face it, Aquaman is the King of Atlantis, there's been too many stories in the DCU about it to change it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    JCM wrote: »
    I wish they´d just throw away the Namor origin and bring back the classsic happy-go-lucky Aquaman.

shut

the

fuck

up

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    I know... but when I have Namor reprints showing the same stories I see in Aquaman now being told like, 70 years ago, it kinda sucks.

I was hoping the new series would change that... :-(

shut

the

fuck

up

I got the same reaction when I said Youngblood aint very original, guess the times havent changed.

JCM on
    edited July 2007

shut

the

fuck

up

I got the same reaction when I said Youngblood aint very original, guess the times havent changed.

no, i don't even care about the "point" you're trying to make

i clicked on this page

saw Blankspace saying "face it, Aquaman is the King of Atlantis" and knew exactly who he was talking to because you won't shut the fuck up about aquaman

Garlic Bread on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just hope he ends up staying with the Outsiders. He's not featured in the Countdown promo, but he is on the cover of issue #1, so who knows.

Hell, put him in the League.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited July 2007

shut

the

fuck

up

i clicked on this page

saw Blankspace saying "face it, Aquaman is the King of Atlantis" and knew exactly who he was talking to because you won't shut the fuck up about aquaman

My my, such profanity, and you dont seem to stop whining about me (may I search "Aquaman" by JCM, the "JCM" by Keith). The difference is that Im not a crybaby about someone saying something I dont like.

I gave my opinion based on the cancelation of a title, dont like it, debate it, or accept it as it is, instead of derailing, you know, being cvilized and all?

Feel free to get a last off-topic post in, I promised the mods I´d not continue sh*t should it start.

JCM on
    edited July 2007

shut

the

fuck

up

i clicked on this page

My my, such profanity, and you dont seem to stop whining about me (may I search "Aquaman" by JCM, the "JCM" by Keith). The difference is that Im not a crybaby about someone saying something I dont like.

I gave my opinion based on the cancelation of a title, dont like it, debate it, or accept it as it is, instead of derailing, you know, being cvilized and all?

Feel free to get a last off-topic post in, I promised the mods I´d not continue sh*t should it start.

I don't care about your opinion. I don't agree with it, but I don't care.

Every fucking time someone says "Aquaman" you make a post saying "lol namor"

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

Seeing as how the only "trade" copy of Runaways I could find was a tiny little paperback-sized thing with completely unreadable text because it was way too small... I wouldn't know.

You can get reasonably priced hardcovers that are full-sized. I highly recommend them because, you know, digests are crap.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Every fucking time someone says "Aquaman" you make a post saying "lol namor"
    Cmon Keith, lying never helped anyone. I said that in 3 threads. Aquaman has been mentioned in over 50 threads. Again, less swear words, please learn to count.
    You can get reasonably priced hardcovers that are full-sized. I highly recommend them because, you know, digests are crap.

Speaking as someone who has to buy comics over the net, I really suggest Amazon for harcovers, buy many at once and get some nice discounts.

JCM on
    edited July 2007
    A search for "JCM" and "Aquaman" turns up 5 different threads in which you bitch about him.

Here's a hint: that's four too many.

Just stop fucking posting, you're worse than graizur

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    Hay guys, I heard that this thread is for bitching about canceled comics, but then I looked in here and saw that it's not. Misleading title, amirite?
    God damn it, if you motherfuckers ruin another of my threads, I will murder you. :x

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2007
    A search for "JCM" and "Aquaman" turns up 5 different threads in which you bitch about him.

Here's a hint: that's four too many.

Just stop fucking posting, you're worse than graizur

Stop lying Keith. Aquaman and Namor. The other two I post the link to the Aquaman movie, youre like an ex-girlfriend that cant let g.

Calm down, take pills, and accept that people will have opinions that you dont like, instead of derailing threads.
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Hay guys, I heard that this thread is for bitching about canceled comics, but then I looked in here and saw that it's not. Misleading title, amirite?
    God damn it, if you motherfuckers ruin another of my threads, I will murder you. :x

My apologies, I let Keith derail yet another thread complaining about me.

Here´s the title I miss the most.
    Thanks to DC´s under promotion of "eye of the storm", the best anti-hero team got cancelled, "The Boys" doesnt hold a candle to Stormwatch:Team Achilles

388px-SWTA.jpg

While "the boys" depends on parodying and demonizing heroes, and giving the "humans" super-powers, S:TA actually were humans who used their brains, training, and real-world weapons to take superior super-powered rivals down.

JCM on
    edited July 2007
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

Written by Tad Williams
    Art by Shawn McManus
    Cover by Kevin Maguire
    Young Arthur must accept the role that destiny has cast him in…and accept his place as the new Aquaman!

I wish I could say I was sad about this, but the entire relaunch was, as a whole, pretty shitty. I enjoyed the first few issues as it established its new status quo, focusing on Arthur adjusting to aquatic life, joining up with Dweller and King Shark, and throwing buildings into underwater ravines, but after that it just faltered, getting bogged down with all of Orin's old, obscure stuff with the Sea Devils, Vulko's ghost, the new Fisherman, and so on. And the mini-arc focusing on Orin really only drew focus away from the new Aquaman and slowed down the pace of the book. The final straw for me was Tad Williams' first issue, which came across as pretty weak and contrived, especially with Shawn McManus' art that didn't fit the tone of the book at all.

Munch on
    edited July 2007

Well, the Phil Goblin was a hero to begin with, and he was pretty cool.

Could be lots of rose tinted glasses all up in, though.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »

Written by Tad Williams
    Art by Shawn McManus
    Cover by Kevin Maguire

I wish I could say I was sad about this, but the entire relaunch was, as a whole, pretty shitty. I enjoyed the first few issues as it established its new status quo, focusing on Arthur adjusting to aquatic life, joining up with Dweller and King Shark, and throwing buildings into underwater ravines, but after that it just faltered, getting bogged down with all of Orin's old, obscure stuff with the Sea Devils, Vulko's ghost, the new Fisherman, and so on. And the mini-arc focusing on Orin really only drew focus away from the new Aquaman and slowed down the pace of the book. The final straw for me was Tad Williams' first issue, which came across as pretty weak and contrived, especially with Shawn McManus' art that didn't fit the tone of the book at all.
    Yeah, I bought the trade and really dug the first few issues, the latter half dragged a bit.

I still say if Aquaman wasn't relaunched and the same basic story was told in a new original fantasy title it would have been better.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    If we're going to talk about underappreciated aquatic adventurers, let's turn the conversation to Seaguy.

0000506p

00006spd

00007pcr

00008fqd

But unlike all the other titles in this thread, it's coming back! Nyah nyah!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    5 posts of JCM

Funny, you claimed Every fucking time someone says "Aquaman" ... guess thats = 5?

Let go, youre not impressing me with your BS, go troll elsewhere.
    Munch wrote: »

Written by Tad Williams
    Art by Shawn McManus
    Cover by Kevin Maguire

My main fault with it is that they took a superhero and write some fantasy book. They got an interesting start, bogged it down, then now are abandoning ship.

JCM on
    edited July 2007
    Haha, that was good stuff Hooray.

wwtMask on
    edited July 2007
    5 posts of JCM

Funny, you claimed Every fucking time someone says "Aquaman" ... guess thats = 5?

Let go, youre not impressing me with your BS, go troll elsewhere.

http://www.answers.com/hyperbole&r=67

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    God now I have to actually buy and read Seaguy, damnit.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg