As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

pink/red/purple sweat

NaSMASH NaSMASH Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Every once in a while I wake up with reddish hues on my shirts... not in the standard sweat locale. Its on my back, primarily below the shoulder blades. I am stumped. No meds, no supplements, not hair dye, no lotions, shampoos, etc. I've tried to, and have eliminated most probable causes. The color does not stain, washes out easily. Cannot figure this out. No, to the wise asses, it's not Gatorade induced. It's only on the back, small of my back and lower shoulder blades. Odd. Thoughts?

ceres on

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Assuming this isn't a really odd spam setup account, you're in the wrong place and want the Help/Advice forum here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/help-advice-forum

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Moved this for you. :P

My only thought is that you have pimples on your back and sometimes one will break while you sleep.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    I take it the source of the stain is inside the shirt not outside? I'm with ceres' theory at the moment.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Sounds like diluted blood. Is it in large amounts?

It's not totally unheard of for blood to get mixed into perspiration glands, giving the appearance of pinkish / purple sweat, but it's pretty rare. If it's in small amounts, it could also be what Ceres & Jam already mentioned.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well, there's a condition called chromhidrosis that changes the colour of your sweat. Two types, apparently: a glandular condition and one caused by ingestion of certain chemicals. The glandular one shouldn't be affecting the sweat in the small of your back, though.

EDIT: Also bedbugs, potentially. Often blood spotting is the first/only thing people notice about an infestation -- and then you're smearing it around or something maybe I'm grasping at straws a bit here?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Well, there's a condition called chromhidrosis that changes the colour of your sweat. Two types, apparently: a glandular condition and one caused by ingestion of certain chemicals. The glandular one shouldn't be affecting the sweat in the small of your back, though.

EDIT: Also bedbugs, potentially. Often blood spotting is the first/only thing people notice about an infestation -- and then you're smearing it around or something maybe I'm grasping at straws a bit here?

...Well, I mean, it's not impossible but bed bug infestations are incredibly rare. We've almost entirely eradicated bed bugs.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

...Well, I mean, it's not impossible but bed bug infestations are incredibly rare. We've almost entirely eradicated bed bugs.

oh lord, if only that were even close to being true.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Yeah, the bedbug epidemic started up again several years ago. They're everywhere now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sweat is pretty actionable on fabric dyes. This is likely the cause.

What color are your sheets/pillow cases?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Oh my goodness this is so wrong. So wrong.

However, bedbugs leave obvious bites in lines of three.

• Options
    jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    You wouldn't happen to have red sheets would you? I know you said you eliminated most probable causes, but that sounds like the simplest, non-medical explanation to me.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah, the bedbug epidemic started up again several years ago. They're everywhere now.

Oh, that's unfortunate.

The population in Canada has remained at near-extinction levels, with the occasional infestation cropping-up in the homes of international travellers. I'd sort-of assumed the states had fared as well.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Oh, that's unfortunate.

The population in Canada has remained at near-extinction levels, with the occasional infestation cropping-up in the homes of international travellers. I'd sort-of assumed the states had fared as well.

I realize this is off topic but uh no

Both Toronto and Vancouver have thriving bedbug problems

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012

Oh, that's unfortunate.

uhhh that's not true at all either. TIFF (Toronto Film Festival)had a scare Aug 2010, and all the major cities have the occasional outbreak. They're called bed bugs but they live in the "wild" too. It's just once they are inside and multiplying they are hard to get rid of.

Back on topic - IANAD but there are conditions you can bleed like is said above. The main thing I think of is House in this case but you know how truthful TV doctoring is.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    No red sheets. I have flawless skin, no marks on my back, or ,anywhere else. Bed bugs are certainly not the issue.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What color sheets though?

Black, purple, red, pink, blue can all do that. I'd wager it's probably a shade of blue if you're getting all 3 of those colors.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Negative. Sheets are white. And the pigment only shows on the inside of my clothing. Only on my back. I'm a clean freak, so it's not from lack of bathing or laundering. And no, I do not have colored soaps.

• Options
    Like I said, I am stumped.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Try sleeping without a shirt and see if the hues show up on your sheets?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    May want to hit up a dermatologist if it's really bugging you.

• Options
    From the sound of the areas it happens in it certainly sounds a physical effect of the parts of you taking your weight pushing against the bed, mattress.

Do you have textured spiky walls you could be rubbing against? Is it a certain shirt it happens in that could be causing irritation?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    If I sleep without a shirt, the pink, purple, red shows up same as on a shirt, only on the sheets. The shirt doesn't matter, it's happened with bathrobes, sweatshirts, etc. Also, it happens in any material: cotton, lace,

• Options
    If I sleep without a shirt, the pink, purple, red shows up same as on a shirt, only on the sheets. The shirt doesn't matter, it's happened with bathrobes, sweatshirts, etc. Also, it happens in any material: cotton, lace,

• Options
    Flannel, poly, silk, micro, tried it all. Also, in case I was vague, I have no pimples, anywhere. I have very clear, healthy, non irritable skin. And I am not overweight in the slightest: 5'6" 115lbs. I really don't want to think I'm sweating blood... but it's sounding likely... other suggestions just aren't seeming plausible.

• Options
    Oh and there is absolutely no skin irritation, or discoloration, simply semi-permanent stains on my clothes or sheets. So very bizarre... I would never even know my body was doing this without the physical, tie dye evidence. It just feels more like an episode of one of those peculiar anatomical wonders that you'd read of in national geographic... unsolved mysterious... ;)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    As an experiment, you may want to try an anti-fungal powder on your back. Fungi are often invisible (everyone has fungus on their skin to some degree, unless you live in a bubble in a hospital or something) without any irritation or skin lesions, and some species may cause discoloration on clothing. Anti-fungal powder is relatively cheap and can be bought at the local drug store. Line the inside of your shirt with it before going to bed, and try it out for about a week. See if anything changes.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    If this was the UK it would be easy to advise simply holding on to a stained item of clothing and seeing a doctor. But you k'now, America, financial implications become part of the equation. I'd still want it checked out though purely because the mystery would drive me mad!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KrubixCubeKrubixCube JapanRegistered User regular
    Wow, I have no advice but I am insanely curious as to what this is when you do find out. This is a weird one, but have you tried just working yourself into a sweat, doing a bunch of jumping jacks or whatever and seeing if that's discolored?

sig.gif
  • Options
    .jarmis.jarmis Registered User regular
    Could we get a picture of what is going on? I think when talking about what colors stuff might be it would be easier to look at your dirty bed sheets.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Do you live in a place with very hard water?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    I will take a picture of the shirt. It's happened in different locations, with varying water hardness, so it is unlikely that the water is the issue.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Would you happen to use a spray deodorizer? If you get a little on your back and its oxidizing due to sweat, that may cause a reddish tint to the stains, but its a stretch. If you are using any acidic products to keep your skin so flawless, Sometimes color changes can be a chemical reaction and not a dye transfer.

Do you sweat a whole bunch, or is the odd pattern more because you don't sweat that much and that happens to be where it lands?

• Options
    I don't even know that it's sweat. I'm pretty all natural, don't even wear deodorant, and nothing but vitamin e for my skin...

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Does it happen when you don't sleep at home?

Otherwise I'm guessing sweat carrying some sort of food dye. Do you regularly eat anything brightly colored?

• Options
    mickyp833mickyp833 Registered User new member
    NaSMASH..... Any update on this?
    I have also recently noticed pink stains on my pillow case and white t-shirts, mainly around the neck...
    Actually used a wet wipe across the back of my neck and stomach and the wet wipe became pink!
    All I can really think of is that there is some coloring or something in drinks or food.... I have been eating a lot more oranges recently but I cant imagine that turning my sweat pink...

This discussion has been closed.