As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Bitch and Moan About Cancelled Comics

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    let me borrow it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, Seaguy looks pretty good.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TBP is going for $7-9 in Amazon as we speak.

JCM on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    let me borrow it

sure.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Seaguy is awesome. Maybe my favorite Morrison work, but I don't know because I love a lot of his stuff. Anyway, I bought it in single and in trade because I want more.

Also, wasn't Stormwatch: Team Achilles cancelled because the writer told everybody he was in the army and then it turned out he never was?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think that the fact they changed artists often and the "Coup de tat" (is that how you spell it) crossover failed to raise sales with most Wildstorm mature titles, which never got any promotion from DC, nor were there any retailer incentives. Sales were terrible by the end of the run, and it got pulled.

JCM on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, you know what, I kind of liked The Intimates.

4115_400x600.jpg

It was about a superhero high school. Not an altogether original concept, but there were hilarious blurbs scattered throughout the pages along with a cast of characters who, for the most part, weren't just Superman/Batman/Spider-Man pastiches. That alone is a remarkable feat for a superhero satire book.

scan_intimates_6_5.jpg

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember seeing that when it came out, just as I was getting back into comics. But I never bought it. Looks like I'll be digging through back issue bins this week.

Munch on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can we complain here about books that should be canceled?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, if you say Black Panther, I will extend the threat of murder to you, Fencingsax.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But it's so easy, mask.

Plus, would Hudlin really want his publicist murderin' bitches left and right?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I am not a mod, so my post doesn't mean shit, but:

I'd guess that'd be okay as long as it's not just "olol Iron Fist/ASS is terrible and should be canceled."

Give good reasons and don't turn it into shitfest '07, and I'd think it'd be cool.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    But it's so easy, mask.

Plus, would Hudlin really want his publicist murderin' bitches left and right?

Only if it's for a good cause. I think this situation qualifies.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Really, I can't think of any books that I want to just disappear. I mean, they all have fans, and no book is ever completely unsalvageable. Now there's a lot of books that I'd love to see given a reboot and made into something cooler. Books like Shadowpact, Superman/Batman, and Supergirl that, while really pretty terrible, could still be something completely awesome if only they had the right team working on them. I've actually been thinking about starting a thread based off a Newsarama article where they prompted readers to suggest three books to reboot (and give new creative teams for them), three books to cancel, and three new books to create. But I hate starting threads.

Also, a book that wasn't canceled, but rather just never got off the ground, can be found in my sig. The writer admits that he was channeling Starman way too hard when he pitched it, but fuck, I would have loved to read it.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadowpact pretty terrible?

I know you don't care for it but I wouldn't call it pretty terrible, especially next to something like Supergirl.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Superman/Batman Confidentials getting canceled

Admittedly, I really enjoy Superman Confidential so far, but Darwyn Cooke and Tim Sale are off after #6. And while I like it, it's really quite pointless.

I haven't read any of Batman Confidential, but having whole series dedicated to retelling "origin" stories seems unnecessary.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, if you say Black Panther, I will extend the threat of murder to you, Fencingsax.
    I was thinking more Supergirl or something. Or say, anything Austen ever wrote, or will write.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Munch, I just read the Blue Beetle pitch in your sig.

Big ole :^:

Damn, I wish that got picked up.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Karma, it just hurts my soul to read it. I mean, it's got Blue Devil, who I've always been a fan of, even since I was a kid, Detective Chimp and Ragman, who I grew to love through Dov, a mini-series that I absolutely adored, and it's written by Bill Willingham, who wrote the original DoV mini that gave me such hope, as well as Fables, which I absolutely love. And I just can't enjoy it. I don't know what it is but each issue I have to force myself to enjoy. Like, I'll pick it up, read it, and then sit it down thinking, "Why the fuck am I still buying this? I guess Blue Devil did something kind of cool, so there's that.."

It could be so much better than it is, but as is it's this sad, directionless kind of shambling monster that just refuses to do anything interesting, or in lieu of that, die a quick, painless death.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, personally I, (and the other 78 buyers out there) hope it sticks around for a bit longer.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I like Shadowpact, I mean it's better than other books out there.

But it is almost totally directionless, I mean it's just story arc after story arc, never really building on anything.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want The Boys to be canceled. Reading it pissed me off, and I want blood. On top of being as pointless and gratuitous as a 6th grade stream of gay jokes, it just isn't funny.

Worse yet, it reinforces so many horrible stereotypes about superheroes and homosexuals that I think it's actually harmful.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Well, personally I, (and the other 78 buyers out there) hope it sticks around for a bit longer.

It's actually not selling too bad, last time I checked. Well, in comparison to the other titles DC launched around that time. It was doing like 20k to Checkmate's 15k, Blue Beetle's 16k, Aquaman's 15k, Atom's 16-17k, and so on. It probably still won't last a really long time, but Didio seems to like Blue Devil for some reason, and Willingham has a built-in audience from Fables, so it'll outlive its fellow post-IC titles.

Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Whew. If you were Warren Ellis' publicist, we'd have a problem.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

BLANK PANTHER SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT BACK AND SHOT LIKE OLD YELLER

EXCEPT NOBODY WOULD CRY

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I want The Boys to be canceled. Reading it pissed me off, and I want blood. On top of being as pointless and gratuitous as a 6th grade stream of gay jokes, it just isn't funny.

Worse yet, it reinforces so many horrible stereotypes about superheroes and homosexuals that I think it's actually harmful.

Huh? The "Make fun of Winnick" thing was worth every issue 10x over

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Whew. If you were Warren Ellis' publicist, we'd have a problem.

Hey, this implies that I'm not actually hardcore enough to murder people for their opinions on comics. Clearly I'm not doing something right.
    Please, please, please don't fire me, Mr. Hudlin, sir. D:

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

BLANK PANTHER SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT BACK AND SHOT LIKE OLD YELLER

EXCEPT NOBODY WOULD CRY

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

You are so on the murder list. Like, right at the very top. Watch your back.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My opinion on The Boys: I heard some things about it from Anjin, involving beating a super-fetus with a lamp. Now, I would laugh at that sure, but not if shit like that is in every issue, along with Ennis' trademark "olol, superheros sure are stupid, huh?" stories.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Wait, what?

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    My opinion on The Boys: I heard some things about it from Anjin, involving beating a super-fetus with a lamp. Now, I would laugh at that sure, but not if shit like that is in every issue, along with Ennis' trademark "olol, superheros sure are stupid, huh?" stories.

Funny enough, Ellis' whole "super humans in the real world" take on things made Newuniversal really awesome. Go figure.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, Newuniversal was a great way to put Heroes in the real world.

The Authority is also good, but much more violent and the such.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did someone say violence?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Anjin, who let you out of the cage?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mark Millar's MK: Spider-Man turning into Sensational count?

It might not have been a cancellation, but fuck was it a bad transition.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Sadly, its the only book on like it after Team Achilles got canned... one side you´ve got gratitious violence, the other a book that seemed like GIJOE if the writers actually new how being a soldier was... man, just the fact that The Boys can hit 20,000+ and Stormwatch:TA ended with less than 9,000 shows that swear words and extra violence does sell a book.

If you want to see what real pwnage of superherroes is like, just read the team Achilles vs Authority, fucking good stuff.

JCM on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't read much in the way of Mainstream stuff, but I was really getting into the Blacksad series. It's really frustrating that the English Publisher went Bankrupt, so there's no English translation of Number 3 or any future books until they get their shit together and get a new publisher.

>_<

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »

Wait, what?

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/004959310.cfm

first page of it. Check out the back cover, he's poking fun of Morrison a little as well

Algertman on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »

Wait, what?

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/004959310.cfm

first page of it. Check out the back cover, he's poking fun of Morrison a little as well

:^::^:

Squashua on
  • Options
    Jkbd33Jkbd33 Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    My local comic shop said that Blade by Marvel is in hiatus. I've also heard rumors thats its cancelled. Anyone got anything to confirm this?

Jkbd33 on