As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Harry Potter forum

wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done?Registered User regular
okay, first off, I'm not saying that I'm against the idea of having an area for harry potter stuff to go, I actually think it's a good idea, but why does it have to be in the main index?

I'm not a harry potter fan and, shockingly enough, there are lots of other people who are not.

Why not make it a sub forum of D&D. CT has said that all D&D rules apply, so why not just put it in D&D? That makes more sense to me personally that having it on the main index.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
wunderbar on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    who cares? it's there for like a week

Tube on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the E3 subform is going to be there for a week, and it was made a subforum of G&T

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    but who cares?

Tube on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2007
    Wunderbar, apparently.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I know that I won't dare look at any more Potter threads until the book comes out for the sake of possible ass-hattery with spoiler material. I have enough worries about just going to pick up the book...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the E3 subform is going to be there for a week, and it was made a subforum of G&T

Because if you care about E3, you're in G&T already.

People in all of the areas of the PA forums read Harry Potter.

Frankly I think it's a dandy idea, since it lets people read the book without worrying if some jackass is going to post spoilers about the book in an area of the forum where they usually visit.

Of course that could still happen, but it's going to get that person banned.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Why is there not a movies on-topic discussion subforum. Maybe a movies/music or one just devoted to all media that isn't games?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Why is there not a movies on-topic discussion subforum. Maybe a movies/music or one just devoted to all media that isn't games?

Because then D&D would be a lot less active.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »

Because then D&D would be a lot less active.

Those are the only threads I read in D&D though, and I don't think I'm alone. I don't really care one way or another, really.

captaink on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm surprised a book can generate enough threads to deserve a forum section

Or is this about a movie

I don't really follow Harry Potter

Scooter on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly I'm confused about the idea. It just looks like it's begging for some random asshole to register an account and post spoilers in a place their guaranteed to annoy the hell out of people.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly I'm confused about the idea. It just looks like it's begging for some random asshole to register an account and post spoilers in a place their guaranteed to annoy the hell out of people.
    If you really don't want to see spoilers, I'd stay the hell out of that subforum.

And yeah, that's why it was put there.

Spoilers for the book--real or fake--in other subforums will be dealt with very harshly.

Spoilers in that forum--unmarked, in non-spoiler threads, or fake--will also be dealt with very harshly.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'm surprised a book can generate enough threads to deserve a forum section

Or is this about a movie

I don't really follow Harry Potter
    The movie just came out, the new book hits on Saturday at midnight.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, I certainly feel bad for whoever wants to browse that board at a work or library environment.

It doesn't have the most SFW title.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, I certainly feel bad for whoever wants to browse that board at a work or library environment.

Many, many of the posts around here aren't SFW, either. It's not like it's 50-point font or anything.

At the point where that's going to be getting you in trouble, the whole forum isn't exactly safe for work.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    but who cares?

Admit it tube, the only reason you merged WoW with the MMO forum was to make room for a Hairy Poofter forum :P

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Many, many of the posts around here aren't SFW, either. It's not like it's 50-point font or anything.

At the point where that's going to be getting you in trouble, the whole forum isn't exactly safe for work.

Yes, but the title of the board appears on every page. It is possible to pick and choose threads, and people generally put pictures behind /spoiler these days. There's no avoiding the forum title, though, and all of the other forum titles are non-sweary.

I mean, I think it's funny and all. But yeah.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    you're right

it is funny

Tube on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does it really need to be called that though.

I mean it is funny but only raised a chuckle for like 2 seconds, then it becomes a NSFW forum title.

Im sure noone really cares, but it does irk me a little that I cant really view it at work cause minimised threads will have the NSFW name.

Oh well, I dont really give a shit. Seems needless though for a really minor joke.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    so we are in agreement

it is funny

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah but not funny enough to warrant the side effects a NSFW title brings.

In my opinion.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    so we are in agreement

Tube on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude

you are posting on the Penny Arcade forums. The forums of a webcomic where fuck, shit, cock, dong, wang, and all sorts of other good words are used weekly.

I don't think the thread title is that big of a deal.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I dont either. I didnt raise the issue.

Its just you know, gratuitous swearing for no reason. I dont really care but as a forum name when you minimise it or open any thread in there it is right there. Meaning the entire forum is NSFW, not individual threads.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    They're words. They usually can't be discerned unless one is close to the monitor. And if someone at work is close enough to the monitor to read it, then browsing webforums likely isn't the choice of actions.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    so we are in agreement

I don't think it's funny. But I'm also not a pansy who will loose his job for a mildly erotic forum title, so I don't give a fuck. Carry on.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Besides, you probably shouldn't be discussing Harry Potter when you're supposed to be working. If your workplace cares about the name of the forum, they probably care about its content as well. If they don't mind you being on a message board, they probably don't care what the board is called.

jothki on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Besides, you probably shouldn't be discussing Harry Potter when you're supposed to be working. If your workplace cares about the name of the forum, they probably care about its content as well. If they don't mind you being on a message board, they probably don't care what the board is called.

Not true at all. I'm allowed to browse tech forums for my job because I can get information from them. sometimes I go onto PA for some of that. I know PA is on the looser side of "tech", but sometimes I can get good info. and I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't like "Harry potter and the seven throbbing cocks"

wunderbar on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Not true at all. I'm allowed to browse tech forums for my job because I can get information from them. sometimes I go onto PA for some of that. I know PA is on the looser side of "tech", but sometimes I can get good info. and I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't like "Harry potter and the seven throbbing cocks"

Exactly.

I'm allowed to surf the internet at work on breaks and whatnot, so someone coming along and seeing that emblazoned across the top of the IE window wouldn't go over to well. So I can't go in there at work. It's also not so swell that i have to navigate past it to ge anywhere else on the forums.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Edit: never mind

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.