As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Aren't they doing a redesign of the Ford Fusion for 2013? A bit larger than the Mazda3/Focus set of cars. SE with V6/auto MSRPS at 25k

Yep, looks pretty nice too imho

Apparently 12.5% ownership in Aston Martin lets you use their front end.

Hey, only reason Aston is even around these days is because Ford bought em back in the 90's. All the Premier Automotive Group (Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin) probably wouldn't be around if Ford had pumped some serious money into them at one point or another.

• Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    The new Fusion looks a lot better than it did. I prefer blackout grills to the chrome mess that's been the trend for the past few years. Also I haven't really looked into Kia, but maybe they're worth a closer look. Hyundai's are just meh.

2011_kia_optima_f34_fd_1214105_717.jpg

Yea, that's what I meant when I said I would take a closer look but it really wasn't that clear. I guess I just have to start getting behind the wheel of all these cars before I can go any further.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    So I finally got around to ordering a strut tower bar for my car. When I lift it up to install the bar I was thinking I should take the wheels off and paint the discs/calipers since they're a nice rusty orange color and pretty ugly combined with my new rims. I don't have the proper equipment to lift the whole car up and do all four at once, so I was thinking I'd install the strut bar and do the front wheels on a Saturday, the rear wheels the following day. Also I don't think I've got the gusto to remove the calipers entirely, so I'd be doing it all right in the wheel wells.

I should be good if I get some brake cleaner, stuff for sanding the surfaces, plenty of newspaper/painter's tape for masking, and high thermal resistance paint/clearcoat. Obviously I'm not going to paint the actual braking surface, but I've heard that painting the surface that contacts the rims will cause my car to explode killing me and a bus full of innocent children, any idea if that's a true thing or not (well, true as in it being wise not to paint that surface)

has anyone here painted calipers/rotors/hubs? any tips or advice would be great.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Doing it all in the wheel wells is totally doable.

Yes, use brake cleaner to clean all the muck off, mask it off as best you can.

One caveat, I would recommend you pick up an actual caliper paint kit from an auto parts store instead of using a generic high temp spray paint. The color will be better and have a little gloss to it. High temp spray is usually pretty dull. At least the stuff I used way back when there weren't caliper paint kits was. (It was bbq grill paint, I believe)

If you get some on the braking surface, wipe it off as best you can, but don't freak out. A hard stop or two and it will be gone anyway.

Just, use common sense, and ummm.... don't do this.
    1759d1082587642-painted-my-calipers-now-my-car-wont-stop-smells-funny-rotor.jpg

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Hopefully caliper paint will stick to a rusty surface. I would not want to spend time sanding down the calipers and parts of the rotors before painting it.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    if the rust is really dynamic I might take my dremel with a wire wheel on it to the hubs, if I do, I'll make sure to do all of that before using the brake cleaner (or let it all evaporate) before I turn the dremel to it... I'd hate to accidentally light myself on fire or something.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Faster and easier just to pick up a plain wood handle wire brush at the hardware store. Unless you're buying those dremel wire wheels by the gross.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    This is a great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oLSYSJO5Ik

Especially around 11:45, when Lewis Hamilton gets to drive Senna's MP4/4 he won the 1988 championship in. He's absolutely, uncontrollably giddy, giggling as he takes off.

nibXTE7.png
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    This is a great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oLSYSJO5Ik

Especially around 11:45, when Lewis Hamilton gets to drive Senna's MP4/4 he won the 1988 championship in. He's absolutely, uncontrollably giddy, giggling as he takes off.

That was a great segment! I don't remember if that part about Senna getting out of his car to help that driver who wrecked was in the documentary. That was cool.

Oh yeah, in personal car news, I just put down a deposit on a Volkswagen Golf R. It's scheduled to arrive the first week in July. I am freaking psyched!

In related news I have a 2007 VW GTI for sale if anyone is interested :rotate:

• MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    While getting some maintenance done on my car I test drove the Hyundai Veloster, it's got a dual-clutch gearbox, and can be run as an automatic or a manual with the paddle shifters.
    Can't wait for the Turbo version to come out later this year, it's top on my list for a new purchase.

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I was googling around about the turbo veloster and some places say auto or manual only, Hyundai's in house DCT can't handle the torque.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    I rather liked the Senna documentary, but he did seem like he kind of raced like an asshole.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Edit: apparently my browser was showing posts from a week ago as new, nevermind

Jealous Deva on
    So they just had the 24 hours of lemons at the High Plains Raceway in Colorado this weekend. I wanted to go but i've been super busy. Once of my acquaintance actually ended up racing in the event with a ~'90 miata. They did pretty well and sadly didn't end up with any hilarious penalties.

I'm very seriously considering trying to do that race next year.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Wow that sounds fun. I'd be down for putting a team together.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Wow that sounds fun. I'd be down for putting a team together.

It can be a bit pricey. I've been a guest driver for a LeMons team and they had about $6000 spent on getting the Yugo into the race. The bulk of that is safety gear, roll cages, cut off switch, seats, etc. Safety gear is about $1200 per driver. But yes, it is a lot of fun even if I can't drink Tang any more.

So they just had the 24 hours of lemons at the High Plains Raceway in Colorado this weekend. I wanted to go but i've been super busy. Once of my acquaintance actually ended up racing in the event with a ~'90 miata. They did pretty well and sadly didn't end up with any hilarious penalties.

I'm very seriously considering trying to do that race next year.

I tagged along with a friend's amateur race team to one of those a couple years ago in houston. It was a lot of fun. And yeah, there's WAAAAAAAY more than $500 sunk into those cars. All the proper safety equipment doesn't count towards the price limit (including brakes and tires), and then if you want to do any kind of theme car, the decorations can get pricey too. And for my friends who do all the work on the cars themselves (they actually rent a hangar at a small private airport to serve as their garage), it took them about 6 months to get a new car ready for the race.

I think the funniest thing I saw at the race was a window unit A/C mounted to the roof of a car with hoses going to the front of the car to act as a "cold air intake."

Yeah, my acquaintance's team went through 3 junk yard engines before they found one that wasn't ridiculously busted. It certainly does seem like a lot of work because of the price constraints. Even getting a regular car race ready seems like a ton of work.

• wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    As much as i'd love to do the 24 hours of lemons, i think the BABE Rally is more up my alley.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I rather liked the Senna documentary, but he did seem like he kind of raced like an asshole.

Name a top race car driver that doesn't race like an asshole? At least Ayrton genuinely cared about other drivers, especially their safety. He was the key figure in getting the Grand Prix Drivers Association back together, which is essentially the F1 drivers union. It's because of the GPDA that most of the safety advancements we see today have happened (obviously spurred on by Senna's death).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So, what's everyone's opinion on the aesthetics of the Juke? Everyone I talk to seems to have a different stance.

It's no Aztek, but I still think it's ugly as hell. I think all of those boxes on wheels are though.

It's funny too, because I love the Nissan Rogue/Murano (I actually own a Rogue), which the Juke is supposed to be a smaller version of...but too me it just looks a Scion Xb with a different hood.

(The Xb is the box on wheels right? I always get the Xb and Xa confused).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »
    So, what's everyone's opinion on the aesthetics of the Juke? Everyone I talk to seems to have a different stance.

I really didnt like it when I first saw it, but I think it looks pretty good lowered.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    (The Xb is the box on wheels right? I always get the Xb and Xa confused).

xBs the box, xAs the small hatch thing. I think the Juke looks like the XA and the XB fucked and spawned the Nissan Juke.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I think it looks like an alien pod racer, my gf thinks it looks funky and generally good, while my dad likes the looks but thinks it'll look as hilarious as bell bottom jeans in five years.

I think it looks like an alien pod racer, my gf thinks it looks funky and generally good, while my dad likes the looks but thinks it'll look as hilarious as bell bottom jeans in five years.

Hey...bell bottoms made a (short lived) come back.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    The Juke wouldn't look so bad if it didn't have that upside down face thing going on.

• Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    So I saw a truck-load of 2013 Darts heading down the freeway today. I've been interested in it since I first heard about earlier this year. I like it's styling but it might be a little bit smaller than what I am looking for. Still eager to take one out for a test drive though. Anyone else interested or am I alone on this?

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    I hear they're putting out an srt-4 version in a year. That might be neat.

edited June 2012

Pretty damn hideous but is amazingly light and has decent power for its size.

Name a top race car driver that doesn't race like an asshole? At least Ayrton genuinely cared about other drivers, especially their safety. He was the key figure in getting the Grand Prix Drivers Association back together, which is essentially the F1 drivers union. It's because of the GPDA that most of the safety advancements we see today have happened (obviously spurred on by Senna's death).

Oh I know you have to drive like an ass to even do amateur wheel to wheel racing, but he just seemed like he was at least an order of magnitude more dangerous than any other professional driver. Even in that video they point out how he would edge the nose of his car in so that was ahead of him and they would have to either let him in or wreck their car. If the driver ahead of him wasn't paying perfect attention to the car behind them they could easily take the normal line and clip his front wheels/nose as he tried to edge in. To me that specific tactic seems more reckless and douchey than skillful. He certainly had an overall amazing skill that I think he would have still been great without that method of passing.

CommunistCow on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That's why him and Prost were such a good match. Asshole, and Asshole Squared. Anyway, I've seen the FR-S comercial twice today, and I think they are going about it mostly the right way. Sliding around some twisties is pretty much everything this car is about.

I love the Juke. So much that I own one! It's one of the few cars where adding the factory spoiler actually makes it look complete. I got the metallic blue one and I get nothing but compliments on it in real life (but on the internet everyone masks their secret jealousy by saying lolaztek, always and forever)

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I really like the Juke, but then again, I have a soft spot for quirky looking cars.

Now, the Juke-R.... holy sheeit!

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but for the price you are better of buying a Juke and a gtr, paying someone to do the conversion, and driving your other gtr around while it is in the shop.

Which is fucking retarded.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Eh, a GTR is an 89,000 dollar car. I think the Juke-R is probably a tad more economical than buying two GTR's.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I think the limited production Juke-R's are selling for around $600,000, so in that case I'll take a GTR and a few other cars (and maybe a house) for that kind of money. That said, there is something kind of cool about the Juke-R even if it is grossly overpriced.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Why would you take the parts of a 90k car and shove it into a Juke? I can understand people trying to make performance improvements upon their juke, but if you want the performance of a GT-R buy a goddamn GT-R. Or slap some turbos and a good suspension on the Juke without transplanting an entire other car into it.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I love the Juke. So much that I own one! It's one of the few cars where adding the factory spoiler actually makes it look complete. I got the metallic blue one and I get nothing but compliments on it in real life (but on the internet everyone masks their secret jealousy by saying lolaztek, always and forever)

Curious how is the gas mileage you are getting in the Juke. Some of the early reports were showing some alarmingly dismal gas mileage for such a small car.

Why would you take the parts of a 90k car and shove it into a Juke? I can understand people trying to make performance improvements upon their juke, but if you want the performance of a GT-R buy a goddamn GT-R. Or slap some turbos and a good suspension on the Juke without transplanting an entire other car into it.

This is how I feel.

And I would take a GT-R in a heartbeat. After watching Clarkson drive it on Top Gear and saying it was probably the most complete super car he'd ever driven, at 89 grand. It's actually a super car within reach of me as a common upper middle class guy later in life, with some saving.

This is how I feel.

And I would take a GT-R in a heartbeat. After watching Clarkson drive it on Top Gear and saying it was probably the most complete super car he'd ever driven, at 89 grand. It's actually a super car within reach of me as a common upper middle class guy later in life, with some saving.

In a few years you'll be able to buy a used one in the 30-40k price range. Lotsa 80-100k Porsches and BMWs from 5-10 years ago are now in that price range.

• TejsTejs Registered User regular
    So, someone backed into my lotus last month (pretty much 31 days ago):

imag0110o.jpg

I have been very depressed since then, because driving around the car with a hole in it is quite silly, and I miss driving my car.

Been considering trading both my RX-8 and Lotus (whenever it finally gets back from the repair shop) in for another car, and then buying a Ninja 250R motorcycle. Any suggestions for car?