As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playstation Plus! Sony loves you, honest

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    Given their history I just buy $20 cards, it's not as convenient but it seems safer.

True true.

probably just get one this weekend.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    2da0qqe.jpg

Where did that come from and how do I see that every day/week?

• Options
    ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    Holy crap, they're finally putting out The Simpson's arcade game!

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote:
    Peen wrote:
    2da0qqe.jpg

Where did that come from and how do I see that every day/week?

I think they have those on the Playstation blog -- http://blog.us.playstation.com/

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote:
    Huh. That sure is a particular week to give out FC2.

Hey guys remember how I said that? I said that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    Altered Beast? Sign me up!
    Genesis version or arcade version, though?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Awesomenauts and Trine 2 are both free for PS Plus members this week. It's a good week.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Castlevania SotN and Chronicles as well.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Holy crap, they're finally putting out The Simpson's arcade game!

is it multiplayer?!?!?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Yeah, you can play up to four player in it. My brothers and I got drunk and ate pizza and played it, it was a good time.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    oh I meant online, because I don't know real people who play games.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    yeah, you can play it online too.

• Options
    I don't know if anyone else saw that they're releasing 12 free games today for PS Plus members but it's kinda RIDICULOUS:

Virtua Fighter 5 – June 5th
    inFAMOUS 2 – June 5th
    Little Big Planet 2 – June 5th
    Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One – June 5th
    Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – June 5th
    Just Cause 2 – June 5th
    Saints Row 2 – June 5th
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – June 5th
    Hard Corp: Uprising – June 5th
    Choplifter HD – June 5th
    Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone – June 5th
    Sideway NY – June 5th

7341196428_21d0428ef8_z.jpg

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Why on earth ate they giving away twelve free games that normally cost $60 a pop?

How much does a plus membership cost?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm really considering a membership now because of this.

• Options
    @Godfather, that's why. It's to get people to sign up for the service. It's $50 a year, which is pretty cheap monthly, and now they can point and say see? See? TONS OF FREE STUFF, SIGN UP, SONY IS THE COOLEST.

I'm not trying to be a shill, I couldn't give a fuck about Sony, but this is a good deal even if you never download anything else or use the other bits of their service.

Although the ability you get to have your console turn on in the middle of the night and automatically download system updates and patches for any of your games is pretty life-altering. I never have to sit through a download screen before I do anything and it's great.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah but you don't actually get to keep any of those games when your subscription runs out

I can literally wait a year and get all of the games on that list that I care about for $50 once the prices go down, and I will own them forever

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Why on earth ate they giving away twelve free games that normally cost $60 a pop?

How much does a plus membership cost?

Not that isn't still a good value proposition, but none of those games are still retailing for $60.

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Plus tends to have pretty good sales, too.

I've had it for a little over a month and the cost of my three month sub has already paid for itself by buying Mortal Kombat complete and the Sly collection.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Yeah but you don't actually get to keep any of those games when your subscription runs out

I can literally wait a year and get all of the games on that list that I care about for $50 once the prices go down, and I will own them forever

Yeah, but they've really been offering up quality games each month the past few as well. Even something that looked silly like Hamsterball turned out to be a huge hit when I have friends over. The total number of good games I've gotten through Plus already far outweighsthe $50 I paid for it, and I'm not even 6 months into my year. Additionally, I'm actually playing them now, not a year or more from now.

• Options
    I am feasting on the newest free stuff they've given out. Walking Dead 1&2 is great and Outland is fucking rad. I remember hearing about it when it came out but I would never have bought it. Now that I've gotten it free it's totally bitchin'.

Has anybody tried that 2D Bloodrayne game? Is it good?

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I am feasting on the newest free stuff they've given out. Walking Dead 1&2 is great and Outland is fucking rad. I remember hearing about it when it came out but I would never have bought it. Now that I've gotten it free it's totally bitchin'.

Has anybody tried that 2D Bloodrayne game? Is it good?

I watched the giant bomb quick look of it and it seemed fairly well received, I've gotta turn on my ps3 now.

Is there a full list of what's new?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    The PSN store has a section for Plus and you can see what's new, what's free, etc.

They do updates on the Playstation blog about what's new each week on Plus.

Peen on
  • Options
    Borderlands next week!

Maybe I'll finally beat it.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

Yeah, I'm with you on this and cloud ownership/game leasing in general. Steam is as far as I'm willing to go.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    I'll say again it's different mentalities. I wouldn't have bought the games that they're giving out but I'm glad to play them. I'm a game grazer and because of that I've stopped buying any except the ones I know I'll finish. This lets me play a bunch of others and if they go away, oh well.

Also the "update all of your shit in the middle of the night" feature is nearly worth the price of the service by itself.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »

Yeah, I'm with you on this and cloud ownership/game leasing in general. Steam is as far as I'm willing to go.

valve has at least said (I think), that if they ever closed they would make the games available to download for their customers. You're at least not leasing the game with steam, you really do own the game, it just lives elsewhere

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    i picked up a plus membership a couple of weeks ago and been getting some good use out of it

it is a little wonky with the game leasing stuff, but stuff like LBP2 and walking dead i only intend to play thru once

i love the automatic updates thing, even if that functionality should really be standard with the console

my only beef with the service is that the plus discounts on certain games expire after like a week or two

i thought about picking up sound shapes and papo y yo, but by the time i decided to nab them their discount had expired

probably have enough games to play right now on ps3 between lbp2, dark souls, persona 3, walking dead, &c

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Langly wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »

valve has at least said (I think), that if they ever closed they would make the games available to download for their customers. You're at least not leasing the game with steam, you really do own the game, it just lives elsewhere

Unless the agreement has been changed since I last read about it, I'm almost certain we own nothing we pay for on Steam. But I could be wrong. And I'm on my phone so I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Free this week Scott Pilgrim for anyone who doesn't already have it and the new Double Dragon game (neon) which looks hella stupid. If it's got online co-op anyone interested in a game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT0re3Ml7w0

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    scott pilgrim was a fun little game that got way better about halfway thru when you could do more combat things other than just punch + kick

also the soundtrack is lovely

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Good two weeks for PS Plus, with Resident Evil 5, Quantum Conundrum becoming available and Final Fantasy Tactics dropping tomorrow.

Peen on
  • Options
    Free games this week are Rochard and Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. Now I can be bad at the latest version of Street Fighter instead of the old ones!

• Options
    Free last week was Closure, which is really neat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofeLGTFjo-g

Free tomorrow, motherfucking Vanquish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr1RzIr0Rzc

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I got Sleeping Dogs in the last + update. And then they had a Sleeping Dogs DLC sale. Clever girl.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah! I was just thinking I needed to play vanquish again!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh heck yes.

Vanquish is all sorts of rad.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    They keep offering games that I already have on 360. Not that this stops me from getting them anyway.

• Options
    I think I'll probably finally beat Vanquish now and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty excited.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    i almost pulled the trigger on a vita last week...decided to wait until sony press conference.

might just pay off as a thread on cheap ass gamer has a japanese ad saying the wifi vita drops to 199 http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338549

hopefully the US price drop isnt far behind.